Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DAY OF RECKONING  (Read 17057 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:DAY OF RECKONING
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2006, 01:19:04 PM »

Have not read Spring Moon, but it was one of the choices for this year.  I listened to Amy Tan read The Hundred Secret Senses and she can imitate her Chinese mother in much the same way a mutual acquaintance of mine and DR Elmore's could imitate her French-born mother.

I listened to  Hundred Secret Senses as well.  Some books I like better when I hear them!!

Spring Moon I 've read several times. It is quite a slim book probably a couple days reading.  Even if its not one of your choices for discussion It is well worth the read.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2006, 01:20:14 PM »

Well I must run.  The Vixter's Youth Group is running "Skits and Songs" tonight and she has a "Last minute panic rehearsal" in 20 minutes.... BYE!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2006, 01:21:42 PM »

Good afternoon.

It's like early summer here. Was able to enjoy the outside for a bit before coming back in to take care of several phone calls, the preparations for the Tuesday houseguests, cooking lunch, doing laundry, and, as always, viewing something.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2006, 01:22:02 PM »

The AAUW Medina County branch book group devoted an entire year to China.  Here are their choices:

China: Its History and Culture, W.Scott Morton
A Single Pebble, John Hersey
Falling Leaves, Adeline Yen Mah
Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee, Robert VanGulik, ed.
Waiting, Ha Jin
Women of the Silk, Gail Tsukiyama
River Town, Peter Hessler
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2006, 01:23:36 PM »

I have not read any of those but I have added them to my list. I have read Amy Tan's Joy Luck Club. Rather enjoyed it.

Has anyone read Audrey Neffinegger's Time Travveler's Wife?

Jane, I really like Peace Like a River.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2006, 01:25:38 PM »

Have any of you read any of Louise Erdrich's works?
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2006, 01:26:57 PM »

DR Ron, I enjoyed your analysis of THE BAREFOOT CONTESSA. I had had the DVD for quite a few months before finally putting it in. I hadn't seen the film in a long time, and it was wonderful to see it again.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2006, 01:28:52 PM »

Good luck vibes to Vixter's youth group and their skits!!

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2006, 01:32:57 PM »

I myself spent the entire afternoon with WAR & PEACE, the 1956 King Vidor version. Yes, it's true that the film is like a Cliff's Notes version of the story, but it's still beautifully crafted, and it looks glorious on DVD for the most part. The Technicolor is rich, the print they used for the enhanced transfer is in mostly superb shape, and even though the sound is mono, it's clear and distinct. (I admit I did have my receiver apply Dolby Prologic IIx to the sound to spread it out among the surrounds to give this epic a fuller sound.) There was a scratch that popped up at about the one hour mark that hung around for a distracting four or five minutes, and there was another "hole" in the print right in the center of the screen for a few seconds that took me out of the film. Otherwise, the print was just wonderful.

I still have about 20 minutes to go, but I realized as I watched that I've never seen this all the way through, so I'm looking forward to finishing it tonight before prime time TV commences.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 01:33:39 PM by Matt H. »

Ginny

« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2006, 01:42:28 PM »

Grocery shopping puzzlement:

The product I purchased for tonight's entree had conflicting info on the label:

"Atlantic Salmon" and "Product of Chile"

How can that be?  Isn't Chile on the Pacific side of South America?  Do they think nobody here in fly-over country would notice?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2006, 01:42:49 PM »

...For the first time in years we made my mother’s clam dip-boy ...
Not to be confused with her clam dip-girl, which would have a totally different flavor...

Sorry, couldn't resist, that's just how it read to me.   ;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2006, 01:44:22 PM »

Or does the southernmost part of Chile border the Atlantic Ocean?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2006, 01:44:55 PM »

Grocery shopping puzzlement:

The product I purchased for tonight's entree had conflicting info on the label:

"Atlantic Salmon" and "Product of Chile"

How can that be?  Isn't Chile on the Pacific side of South America?  Do they think nobody here in fly-over country would notice?

That is funny... The last time I check Chile was on Pacific side of South America... Unless they capture on the tip of South America at Tierra Del Fuego?

I never knew that Salmon had wings?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 01:46:56 PM by DakotaCelt »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2006, 01:47:58 PM »

Or does the southernmost part of Chile border the Atlantic Ocean?

Yes, the southernmost post tip does but I would think it would be too cold for salmon?  That is not far where some penguins summer.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #104 on: May 21, 2006, 01:55:43 PM »

I am working on some genealogy research and I cannot find this town in California. It is listed in the obit as LaKwinta, California....

IT was listed for a relation that died in 2005 in a small town ND newspaper.

any Ideas?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2006, 01:55:56 PM »

I somehow was able to drag myself through the workday today.  I didn't get much sleep last night, but the lack of sleep has given me a little insight into a friend's similar problem, of which we have all been reading.

I came to realize today that the accident, which I've taken to calling the "doggy head-butt," really pumped up my adrenalin.  Through the whole thing, I was amazingly calm, seeing things in perspective, able to take events one step at a time as they unfolded.  This was all well and good, but I was feeling pumped, and I stayed that way well past when the alarm clock went off this morning.  Even with the events well settled, I remained primed.  That's one reaction to adrenalin.

My hunch is that our esteemed BK has also been running on adrenalin, mostly because of how the play he has been rehearsing has been going.  

This isn't necessarily a bad thing.  But it can be exhausting.

Good sleep vibes, BK.  You deserve them.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2006, 01:58:18 PM »

If fishing boats from Chile round the cape and fish in Atlantic waters, the fish are considered to be a product of Chile because of the boats (and subsequent processing), not because of the waters.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2006, 02:03:17 PM »

I've heard from our E&T DRJoseS. He's busy but sounds happy and well.  The good news is that he's helped our E&T DR Jason find a new jobAnd I managed to help Jason get out of MTI!!!!!  

DR Jose wites:
"He'll be working as a photo editor at James' office - He starts next Monday.  Great money, full benefits, and flexible scheduling!"

"Ah sir, happy news indeed!" (a Sweeney Todd reference ;))
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2006, 02:11:46 PM »

GOOD SHOW VIBES TO BK!

HEALING VIBES TO SWW!

GOOD PRE-OP VIBES TO TCB!

...And Vibes to all in need of Vibes!

DC - "LaKwinta" is probably La Quinta, CA

George

« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2006, 02:14:53 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~THE BEST VIBAGE TO ALL!!~~~[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2006, 02:17:58 PM »

If fishing boats from Chile round the cape and fish in Atlantic waters, the fish are considered to be a product of Chile because of the boats (and subsequent processing), not because of the waters.

Puzzlement solved!  Thanks, DR SWW!

Wherever they're from, the salmon filets have been brushed with melted butter, salted and peppered, and are now baking away in the oven.  Wild rice is simmering on the stove top.  Soon the broccoli will be steamed.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 02:21:40 PM by Ginny »

George

« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2006, 02:23:12 PM »

Cillaliz I looked over Ginny’s book club site.  I will suggest two books from there, I haven’t mentioned, The Sparrow (I read this one twice in order to lead the discussion-liked it even better the second time) and The Secret Life of Bees.

Last year, the library where I work had their first "Timberland Reads Together"  event, where all the book clubs in the Timberland system and any other readers who chose to join in, read the same book.  Last year's book was "The Secret Life of Bees."  It was quite successful, but a little overwhelming.  They tried to get the author to come and do some readings, but she wasn't able (or interested, I think ::)), but they got a reader of one of the talking books (Jenna Lamia) to do some readings.  She was quite good and very popular.  

« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 02:31:30 PM by George »

George

« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2006, 02:30:23 PM »

They are doing it again this year (at first I thought that it was only going to be every other year), and the book chosen is The Highest Tide by Jim Lynch, who now lives in Olympia!  Click HERE for the Timberland press release and HERE for the official "Timberland Reads Together" homepage. :)

Matt H.

« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2006, 02:34:40 PM »

Off to continue with chores and TV.

WBBL.

Michael

« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2006, 02:34:52 PM »

There was talk yesterday about who was the youngest performer to win the Tony Award. Frankie Michaels was the youngest performer ever and Daisey Eagen was 12 which made her the youngest actress to win.

But as with so many other Tony Award winners where are they now?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #115 on: May 21, 2006, 02:48:40 PM »

Looking Back past Musical Tony Winners Where are they now?  

Chuck Cooper The Life
Anthony Crivello Kiss Of the Spiderwoman
Scot Waara The Most Happy Fella
Hinton Battle (3 Tony Awards) What has he done recently?
Michael McGuire Les Miz

Aniki Noni Rose Caroline or Change
Cady Huffman The Producers
Ann Duquesnay  Bring In the Noise...
Gertha Boston Show Boat
Frances Ruffelle Les Miz
Leilani Jones Grind
Janie Sell Over Here

Ben Harney Dreamgirls

Natalia Makarova On Your Toes
Maryann Plunkett  Me and My Girl
Never stop dreaming.

George

« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2006, 02:59:01 PM »

Aniki Noni Rose is going to be in the movie version of "Dreamgirls."  She's playing Lorrell, the part originally played by Loretta Devine, who plays a recurring character on "Grey's Anatomy."

« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 03:01:12 PM by George »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2006, 03:05:39 PM »

Lovely wedding post, DR PENNYO!

DR CILLA LIZ I am very happy you found SHORT HISTORY OF A SMALL PLACE, and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

DR RLP - Like you, I avoided CONTESSA for many years because I didn't think I would like it.  Then one day - it was on - and I watched it.....and it is everything you say.  Edmund O'Brien is superb, but the show belongs to Ms. Gardner, the world's most beautiful animal.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #118 on: May 21, 2006, 03:05:53 PM »

TOP HAT is coming on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2006, 03:11:18 PM »

DR MATTH - I love Hepburn and Ekberg in WAR AND PEACE, but Fonda seemed a bit too old for his role....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up