Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS  (Read 22733 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:BREAKING NEWS
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2006, 07:33:20 AM »

TOnight I am going with some friends to the regional comedy/mystery SHEAR MADNESS. Various productions have played all over the country. Have any of you other DRs seen it?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2006, 07:34:09 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page Three Dance!!![/move]

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2006, 08:11:33 AM »

The thing about places like Myspace and similar blog spaces is that they are the height of ego.  Usually only about a dozen or so people are going to specific ones at a time.  So it's mostly an exercise in self-absorption and "me, me, me" meness.

I think the more isolated people become by technology, they then make an attempt to be noticed.  Sort of sound their "barbaric yawp" out there across the wilderness and chasms of the internet and see if anyone cares by responding.  

I'm finding I'm spending less time on the internet in general because the novelty, like having 500 cable channels, has worn off and I can find more productive and fulfilling things to do with my time.  It's a worthwile tool, I still have certain sites I visited regularly, but I glean the information I want from them, don't dawdle, and press on now.  Nor do I spend as much time posting, given how small the audiences for some of these places are.  Too much energy spent; for too little return.  I'd rather expend the energy in real relationships with real people...Too many internet relationships are based on what Kurt Vonnegut calls the "grand faloon" which is because folks have one thing in common, they suddenly think they have a relationship of substance, when in fact, if they actually were around each other any length of time, they'd find out how little they actually do have in common.  

I'm not saying one can't develop real friendships and relationships through the internet, it does happen...it's happened with me, but only rarely.  It's truly silly to think that everyone on a posting site you post on is suddenly your deepest bosom buddy.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 10:33:41 PM by Charles Pogue »

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2006, 08:33:46 AM »

Off to do some straightening up of the homeplace followed by lunch preparation.

WBBL.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2006, 09:02:12 AM »

I started on myspace a few months ago, and I find it incredibly useful for keeping in touch with friends that I no longer see in person, namely old high school and college friends.  I admit there are some annoying people on there...the half-naked girls who try to get as many people as possible on their lists, and any number of bands trying to gain a following by getting people to see their pages and listen to their songs.  But all in all, I find it a great way to see how my friends are doing, post pictures that I wouldn't get to share any other way, and occasionally blog something that I don't mind everyone looking at.  Blogs aren't diaries broadcasting private things to the public at large, they're a way to share news and thoughts with multiple people at once...kinda like the notes on here.  
It might be a tool of the teenage creature, but mid-twenties people can find it pretty useful too :)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2006, 09:30:57 AM »

Even Otto has a myspace page !!

www.myspace.com/ottosden

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2006, 10:33:39 AM »

Hello and good morning to all!

Another cloudy and sporadically drizzley day up here in the woods... the raccoons still haven't Gotten It that I'm back, but the blue jays are very present. I have a small brown mouse living here - inside - with me currently. I see him off and on in the living room. I'd like to trap him and put him outside, but all my live traps went bye-bye when I left Redmond... maybe I'll get another. Maybe today.

I have been going through stuff, a bit at a time, and throwing out various items, accumulated over years. I've started a box for Value Village, proceeds from which go to services for the blind. But mostly, it's wads of papers, suitable for starting fires in my woodstove - got a huge box of tinder, now.

Is all of this "weeding out" preparatory to selling this place and re-locating back to Southern California? I wonder... lots of thinking and musing and meditating on that... If so, do tamed raccoons and birds add equity value? Do I even care?
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2006, 10:36:01 AM »

I do know I would like to be closer than a grueling 2-day drive to the rest of the family. But is a setting like this - in the forest, on a stream, featuring solitude and silence - available somewhere in So. Cal? Of course, if I got that job in Riverside, I could live up the mountain at Crestline...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2006, 10:37:19 AM »

Does that answer the "blog" and "myspace" question? Who in their right teen-aged, materialistic, pop-culture mind would even WANT to read these geezer musings???
PennyO

Ginny

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2006, 10:43:58 AM »

Then...to work....I will try to check in later today.  It is going to be HOT!!

Ah, yes, Memorial Day Weekend in the Midwest - the humidity arrives!  When the chairs at our kitchen table stop wanting to slide across the floor and the covers of the paperback books start curling, maybe it's time for the air conditioning.  But I do hate to close up the house and not be able to hear the birds singing.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2006, 10:45:09 AM »

Does that answer the "blog" and "myspace" question? Who in their right teen-aged, materialistic, pop-culture mind would even WANT to read these geezer musings???

I do, I do, DR PennyO, because, being a geezer myself, I can relate!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2006, 11:03:50 AM »

Later this summer, I'll be going with my Gen-X bosses to a State Library of Ohio workshop on 21st century "social tools," such as chat, blogs, IM-ing, etc., and their applications to library service.  It's a real stretch to someone who started in the field when we still filed 3x5 cards in wooden drawers.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2006, 11:05:44 AM »

DRs, my dad needs good health vibes today badly!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~Best Vibes for DR Elmore's Dad!!~~~[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2006, 11:06:22 AM »

I went back to bed at seven and slept until ten, so that was nice.  Then I had two lengthy back-to-back telephonic calls and now I am sitting here like so much fish trying to figure out exactly what I want to do.

Ginny

« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2006, 11:12:23 AM »

Here's another sign of summer here in Middletown, Ohio:

The Jug

opened today for the season!

It's just up the street from our backyard.  The car hops still come out to take your order and then hang the tray on your car window.   You can still get root beer in a frosted mug.  DH Richard's parents went there when they were dating back in the 1930's and our DS Rob was a cook there two years ago.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2006, 11:14:25 AM »

I am at work.  That is all.

:)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2006, 11:15:07 AM »

Good vibes for DR Elmore's dad. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FJL

« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2006, 11:59:45 AM »

Just had a lovely lunch at the Boat Basin Cafe.  Then since we were with the dogs, we took a pet taxi home, and it turned out that the taxi driver's grandmother had been the personal assistant to Jerome Robbins for over thirty years.  That was interesting.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2006, 12:01:54 PM »

so I grabbed my camera ran outside and slam....the door locked behind me..... Thank heavens it was Warm out. I did see lots of birds...even a beautiful white pelican in flight. It was nice.

And where are the photos, I ask?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2006, 12:02:21 PM »

I am going to buy a stovetop and oven.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

FJL

« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2006, 12:02:52 PM »

No auto criticism here - the pet taxi was a lovely, roomy car, and I have no complaints about it.

:)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2006, 12:12:57 PM »

DR GINNY wouldn't wooden drawers be uncomfortable?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2006, 12:13:14 PM »

Vibes for DR ELMORE and his Father.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2006, 12:13:48 PM »

DR ELMORE....being in Indiana IS hell....so when it's HOT here it's H-E-Double Hockey Sticks squared!

FJL

« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2006, 12:25:30 PM »

Are we on page 4 yet?

FJL

« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2006, 12:26:10 PM »

OK, now we're on page 4!

Cillaliz

« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2006, 12:33:53 PM »

Good health Vibes to DR Elmore's Father........

Cillaliz

« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2006, 12:38:57 PM »

Cillaliz

« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2006, 12:41:34 PM »

That's a little dark. But the color is accurate. The actual sunrise wasn't that notable, but the pre-sunrise color was sooo brilliant.  It was worth getting locked out

Cillaliz

« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2006, 12:44:33 PM »

Thanks Francois.  We're doing ok today. I managed to get out of going to a 90th birthday party so I get the house to myself for a little while.  Quite a feat in my family.  Callie and I are enjoying it.  I was napping and may do a little more of that. Then it's off for a glass of wine so I can program a weather radio for a family friend, then to the Gingham Inn for the best pan fried chicken in the world. LOL Maybe I'll take my camera and take a photo of the chicken!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up