Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: REDISCOVERING FRUIT  (Read 20234 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:REDISCOVERING FRUIT
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2006, 07:15:27 AM »

I really love fruit. Grapes, oranges, tangerines, bananas, apples, melons of various types. Just love it all.

But I only buy fruit when it's on sale.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2006, 07:18:22 AM »

Page Two ARISTOCATS Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2006, 07:23:53 AM »

I think I'll watch THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST today. I haven't seen it in a long time. I had to cross a picket line here to see it in the theater and got screamed at in the vilest language you ever heard from "Christians," but I was deeply impressed with the movie and am looking forward to seeing it again.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2006, 07:26:52 AM »

Grey and drizzle-y here again...
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2006, 07:28:21 AM »

TOD:

For DR's who have appeared onstage or in film - what was your favorite costume you have had in a production?  Pictures please.

I'm thinking it was the two outfits I wore playing the Narrator/Mysterious Man in INTO THE WOODS. Since the actor must make a couple of split second changes going from one character to the other, it was imperative that the clothes would be able to be able to step into and velcro shut almost instantly.  Also, the MM's clothes had to be baggy enough to have the Narrator's dress pants on underneath.

I think I have a picture of each outfit around here some place, but I'll have to look for them later.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2006, 07:30:47 AM »

The best fitting clothes I ever had were while playing Max in THE SOUND OF MUSIC: a tux and three suits that were tailored for me and fit like a glove.

I'd have to take some screen captures from the video for pics. I don't think any stills were shot with me. (SOM is ALL about Maria and the children, and they got all the PR.)

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2006, 07:33:24 AM »

I had planned to go to Northwest Folklife today - it's the Eastern European afternoon and evening with music and dance - Radost and Balkanarama and Bulgarian Vardar, Dunava, Dave and the Dalmatians, Orkestar RTW, big folk dance party with all my old pals tonight in the Seattle Center... but egad, I hate driving so far in the rain...

We'll see if it breaks a little bit.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2006, 07:43:13 AM »

I had absolutely GORGEOUS costumes for A Doll's Life!! in the second act. Very Godey's Ladies Book - the Vogue of the 1890's. They fit me like skin. I loved wearing those clothes and hats and furs! Oh, my!!!

Another was my second act Pirates of Penzance dress at Light Opera of Manhattan! Wow! I think I do have a picture of that, somewhere - but no way to post it. Again, very 1890's, pink and white, lots of lace and artificial flowers and layers of tulle, and a gorgeous bustle, and very fitted bodice! I was born for that fashion!

AND in the same vein: my Merry Widow costume, at New York City Opera - maroon velvet, fitted bodice, black lace trim, low neckline, bare arms. Yum!

One more - for some reason, I totally LOVED my Carmen costumes at NYCO, too. Peasant blouse and huge pink and black skirt for the Tavern; wonderful green bolero jacket over a green skirt and black boots for the Smugglers' Lair; incredibly ornate gown and mantilla for the Bullfight. All enhanced, of course, by the fact of my getting to sing all the high soprano lines in the Quintet, Trio, Smuggler's Ensemble, and all o' that!!!
PennyO

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2006, 07:44:38 AM »

Thanks for sharing, DR TPUNK.  

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2006, 07:44:58 AM »

I played those parts DR MATTH....loved them!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2006, 07:45:20 AM »

Off to auditions-rehearsal-makeup-costume call-chaos!

90 degrees!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2006, 08:01:15 AM »

Good to hear from TCB....the man with three hips.

I always suspected there was some "hippie" in TCB!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2006, 08:03:05 AM »

HHW has always been fruit friendly. It is well-known (as many long time readers will know) for its support of Figs.

This is also true of a bodily function, as well....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2006, 08:04:14 AM »

Is it today that LESTAT breathes his last breath?

So to speak.  In "reality," vampires don't actually breathe, you see.....

:)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2006, 08:07:52 AM »

A little known fact is that of "The Three Stooges," Moe and Larry were not as bright as the seemingly dumb Curly.

Many a time a take was saved because Curly would feed a line to either Moe or Larry, both of whom grew dependent upon the "Curly cue".

« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 08:09:29 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2006, 08:20:36 AM »

I took care of a few errands yesterday that I've been procrastinating over for a couple of weeks.

Each involved driving a distance in what I presumed would be horrendous weekend traffic.

I was pleasantly delighted to discover easy travelling, few cars and a gorgeous day.

Not EVERYbody's out of town this weekend!  I used to enjoy Memorial Day when I lived in Indianapolis -- the few souls who did not go to the Brickyard (the Indy 500 race track) stayed in their homes to watch the race.

Me...I drove all over Indianapolis, all relaxed and enjoying the nearly empty streets!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 08:37:24 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2006, 08:22:23 AM »

I watched "Good Night and Good Luck" last night.  A riveting film with a superb performance by David Strathairn.  It was a neat look at the inner doings at CBS when Murrow waged his campaign of advanced citizenship by tackling the muckraking Joe McCarthy.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 08:22:47 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2006, 08:27:05 AM »

I followed up by watching the newest DVD incarnation of "Breakfast at Tiffany's"...which sparkles more now than it did in any previous viewing I've had of it.

The 5.1 sound is a bit much at times...and comes off as faux "electronic stereo enhancement" over the end credits.   But fortunately, the original mono sound is part of the package as well.

I'm not sure how others feel about it, but there's a scene that has always disturbed me...and seemingly, it would have been/should have been even more disturbing to many people in 1961.   That scene is the one in which Holly and Paul go out in NYC to do things that neither has done before...and Holly suggests stealing from the five-and-dime.  And they do.

I realize that both characters were, intrinsically, outside acceptable society at the time.  The role of Holly was downplayed quite a bit for the film so that Hepburn could do the role.  Paul was gussied up, too.  

The stealing from the store was considered nothing out of the norm for such people to do.

Today, they seem worldly and quite normal as characters.  Sadly, the stealing scene -- without any regrets afterward -- has become a more normal part of society, as well.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 08:36:36 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2006, 08:56:52 AM »

JRand,  as a civilian I quite enjoy wearing a tux.  And will wear one any chance I get.  Back in the nineties I finally bought one.  very traditional.  Black,  cumberbund, the whole thing.  I don't like different colours and I don't really like the ones that have long ties.  I do have several different bow ties and cumberbund sets to mix it up occasionally.  

In the theatre, I've had several nice costumes...Roman soldier, loincloth, lots of capes and tights numbers...all very swashbuckling.  One of my favourites was a swarthy gypsy costume I got to wear as the leader of a troupe of players who come on stage to perform Comedy of Errors.  I also got to write my own role in doggerel of rhymed couplets where I introduce all the players.  Lots of fun!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2006, 08:58:18 AM »

Just that gypsy in my soul.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2006, 08:58:58 AM »

I still have the shirt, believe it or not.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2006, 09:00:02 AM »

I'm the one without the hearts on my cheeks.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2006, 09:06:07 AM »

TPunk - Thank you for your post. You've said many of the things I was thinking, but I finally gave up on the debate. (For a number of reasons,) Not only did I give up, but in a fit of pique and frustration I removed a longish, heartfelt bit I had posted about my daughter and how I had raised her. All that remains is "Thank you, Cillaliz."...followed by empty space. Your thoughtful response shows me the error of my... ahem... immature response to the situation. That said, the debate is over for me. I've said what I had to say and stand by it -- and by what you posted.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2006, 09:13:51 AM »

Every year, Rehoboth Beach becomes the temporary home of a large number of Russian and Romanian exchange students, here to work for the summer.

Craigs girlfriend, Ioana, is from Tecuci (pronounced tey-kooch).  Let me know if you meet any exchange students from there.

Danise

« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2006, 09:14:39 AM »

Fondest greetings everyone!

I know that I have been MIA on the weekends so I’m trying to make that up a little bit.  I have to go cut the grass and go do a little shopping but as I told you on Friday, I have a ton of pictures that I wanted to share with you all.  

First I want to say how thrilled I am to see TCB posting again!   I just hope that you are feeling well and will continue on the road to health.

Also, thank you, DR Francois for the kind words.

Elmore, many, many, many vibes to you and your Dad.  

« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 09:18:02 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2006, 09:16:57 AM »

My favorite theatrical costume was one I wore as Iris and/or Charmian in Caesar and Cleopatra at the Shaw Festival. It was designed by the legendary Desmond Heeley. Had the long black wig, the Egyptian make-up, the whole thing. I felt very Liz Taylor-ish.

Danise

« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2006, 09:16:58 AM »

Yipes, that was a big picutre and darn it I have just spent the last hour up loading a bunch them to photo bucket.  I'll have to go back and redo all of them and i don't have time for that right now.  Darn.  Drat.  Darn again.  I forgot about resizing them.  Darn. Drat. Darn.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2006, 09:19:02 AM »

Happiest of birthdays Arnold M Brockman.

Cillaliz, Callie let you sleep all night!  Definitely a good sign. :D

Danise

« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2006, 09:19:19 AM »

I deleted it.  

I'll just have to come back later when I can get these things down to a good size.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2006, 09:20:28 AM »

I do think I can post this one short video of my wonder dog, Bear.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up