Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: REDISCOVERING FRUIT  (Read 20235 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
REDISCOVERING FRUIT
« on: May 28, 2006, 12:10:56 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're feeling like fruit, and now it is time for you to post until the fruity cows come home.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 12:08:17 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:REDISCOVERING FRUIT
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 12:13:26 AM »

And the word of the day is: CURLICUE!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 12:31:14 AM »

Yesterday for lunch, I went to Jack in the Box and had their Southwest Chicken Pita (very low calories and fat grams and quite yummilicious...a BK reference ;)), but I also had their seasoned curly fries (low in neither calories nor fat grams) but they were all CURLICUE shaped! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 12:43:34 AM »

In the morning, I'm going with my niece and maybe my sister to see "X-Men III" at 10:45 a.m. showing (there is also a 9:30 a.m. showing!).  On Monday, we're going to see "The Da Vinci Code."  These are the first movies since either "The Producers" or "Brokeback Mountain" that I've seen in the theaters.  I like going to the movies.  I should go more...even by myself. :) But not right now.  I must sleep so that I don't fall asleep at the movie.  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 12:45:03 AM »

And a Very Happy Birthday to Arnold M. Brockman!! ;D

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 12:52:10 AM »

Indeed - Happy Birthday to Mr Brockman Snr.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 12:56:11 AM »

I think Will Parker  went to see a Curlicue show when he checked out Kansas city (where everything is up-to-date).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 12:58:50 AM »

HHW has always been fruit friendly. It is well-known (as many long time readers will know) for its support of Figs.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 03:33:34 AM »

Every year, Rehoboth Beach becomes the temporary home of a large number of Russian and Romanian exchange students, here to work for the summer.

Yesterday, a customer asked (well, snorted) "Does this store have any of those non-English speaking workers?"

I looked at him and replied, "No, everyone who works here speaks English.  For some of them, it's a second language."

Job satisfaction takes all forms.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 03:57:11 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm up early.  Dylan is off to a family reunion in Connecticut and his train's at 8 am from Grand Central.  I will ride the subway with him to 42nd Street and proceed to Toyland for a bit of work.  I've got several unpublished dances for THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER to reduce from full score to piano, and some edits with my colleague Mr Murray.

I shall most likely return here and crash for a while.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 05:08:06 AM »

Sunday Sweet Sunday

Happy Birthday to Mr Arnold Brockman!

May you have a lot of curlicues on your cake!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 05:11:53 AM »

Well today is RACE day in Indiana -  well EVERYDAY is RACE day in Indiana, but it is the day of the 500 Mile Race.

Said Race used to be an event of gargatuan stature....the entire city would be decorated in black/white flags....it was AN EVENT!!  Owner of said race track the Speedway - has for his own satisfaction and because he CAN - turned it into JUST ANOTHER RACE on the circuit.  Oh the news media here still try to report it as they did in decades past (with special segments and 15 EXTRA minutes of coverage each evening at 6 AND 11) - but there is little or NO interest now.

Kind of like the State Basketball Tourney, which used to be a BIG thing until the POLITICIANS decided we needed class basketball and four champions (4 boys' teams and 4 girls' teams) - and the whole thing is now a big YAWN!

Such is progress.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 05:12:51 AM »

TOD:

For DR's who have appeared onstage or in film - what was your favorite costume you have had in a production?  Pictures please.

For DR's who are civilians....what is your favorite OUTFIT you have ever worn?  Pictures please!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2006, 05:18:12 AM »

This is one of my favorites, when I was playing Frank in SHOWBOAT.  The lapels and pocket flaps on the jacket matched the lovely houndstooth check on the trousers.  ;D

« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 05:19:03 AM by JRand55 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2006, 05:19:41 AM »

No picture.... :(

I guess we can't post pictures today, so we will need descriptions of said costumes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2006, 05:22:35 AM »

Oh well.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2006, 05:38:31 AM »

Grapes and apples are GOOD!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2006, 05:39:00 AM »

Good to hear from TCB....the man with three hips.

Ginny

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2006, 06:22:30 AM »

Sunday morning greetings!  I just saw DH Richard off for his day of church in Cincinnati and shape-note singing in Dayton.  Later I will get a call from my college friend, Anne, who's on her way home to Michigan from a vacation down south.  We'll meet someplace for lunch and catch up on, I think, almost 4 years of each other's lives.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2006, 06:23:24 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to Mr. Arnold M. Brockman!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006, 06:24:54 AM »

Morning all!
It's going to be a hot one here today. Mid to upper 90s.  So, we're going to one of the two regular holiday flea markets as soon as it opens.  We went to the other one yesterday. Saw lots of fleas, but only bought a hand woven rug for my kitchen and some 1913 Sioux City post cards.  

Callie and I are both doing quite well this morning. She let me sleep through the night last night, so I think she's at least adjusting to being here.

Cillaliz

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006, 06:26:32 AM »

I love fruit. But you have to be careful, it's isn't all calorie free. It's got natural sugar, but it's still sugar.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2006, 06:56:08 AM »

I agree! Grapes are especially sweet and caloric. Bananas, too.

I love strawberries, blueberries, raspberries - up here in the NW, I WAIT for the picking season - June for Strawberries, July for razberrys, August for blueberries and wild blackberries. Many of the farms around these parts have a U-Pick policy, and charge very much less than the stores...
PennyO

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2006, 07:00:15 AM »

Look at the lovely ladies!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2006, 07:04:19 AM »

Going to be HOT here, too.

Now....at PCPH (Putnam County Playhouse) we have a large barn theatre with the shop attached (costume loft above) and the dressing rooms-makeup-rehearsal area are in another small barn 25 yards away.

Ideally the DRESSING ROOMS=Makeup area should be in the attached addition (built in 1992) - but the shop bitch said she would not build sets and "carry" them all that way.....this despite the fact that she makes the cast "carry" everything once it's built ANYWAY.

I only say this because I am having my auditions in the rehearsal space today AND the director of THE SOUND OF MUSIC has decided to call a special FULL DRESS rehearsal at exactly the same time....not one hour earlier, not one hour later.

SO - the noisy cast of THE SOUND OF MUSIC will be dressing, talking, walking and generally being a NUISANCE in the same area as my SCHEDULED auditions.

Which I didn't even know was happening, except a good friend of mine who is working on TSOM thought I should know and emailed me.

Anyway....all that and 90 degrees.

Rant over....
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 07:04:41 AM by JRand55 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2006, 07:05:20 AM »

Have a fun lunch, DR GINNY!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2006, 07:05:39 AM »

Is it today that LESTAT breathes his last breath?

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2006, 07:10:58 AM »

Have a fun lunch, DR GINNY!

Thanks, DR JRand!  I hope your auditions go well and that the environment isn't too chaotic.

My answer to your earlier question about favorite costumes would be the gray corduroy pants and vest (with a black turtleneck) that I wore as The Mute in the DR Elmore-directed Fantasticks.  The vest had lots of pockets for me to carry the "special effects," like confetti, autumn leaves, snow, etc.  I just had to be careful to sprinkle the right thing at the right time!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2006, 07:11:35 AM »

I have to say, I've been struggling with what I read in yesterday's posts about today's "generation of young people" and as polite a conversation it was, it hurt me.  Because it is one thing to say "except for you" or "except for a few" because when you are talking about this generation, you are not only talking about me, but about the majority of my friends and many of my family members.

Adolescents and young adults make mistakes, that is well documented, and it is part of the process of growing up.  And yes, the kinds of mistakes that they make have changed over time, but in my eyes, that does not make them worse.  I can't even imagine what it is I will be ranting about 20 or 30 years from now.

And I do have frequent contact with this generation.  I talk to them on the phones at GMHC when they have called feeling anxious or scared and need some support.  I see them in the testing center, responsibly checking their HIV status and holding the hands of their friends and partners.  I met some very special ones this summer who had given up their spring break to come volunteer.  I acted as a therapist to one who was angry and hostile after having been pounded down by years of abuse and indifference who attempted to reach out to others.  I sat in an auditorium with hundred of them last week who accepted their diplomas and were about to set of on an underpaid and under-respected career of helping others because it is what they felt they needed to do.

When I see someone of "that generation" on the street, yakking on their cellphone, having a loud conversation with a friend with on apparent regard for others, or in any other way acting "inappropriate or rude" I see a veneer.  I see someone adrift who is trying very hard in this sometimes cruel and often uncertain world, to present a picture of confidence and sureness when they feel something very different inside.  I think that to some degree, we all do that.  It's just that our years of experience have taught us to do it in a more mature way.

And maybe don't apply that "exception" to me.  I still do crazy things from time to time, I have a thong or two in my underwear drawer, and I know that my audacious gum cracking and obsessive use of the word "um" drives my mother and those of her generation crazy. But I think that deep down inside, for those who bother to get to know me, I am a pretty great person.  And I like to think that the same applies to most in my generation.  We're all just struggling to make our way.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2006, 07:13:54 AM »

Good morning!

It's going to be a beautiful day but hot, hot, hot. Another day in the 90s, and two more on the way! Ugh! Staying inside is my plan for the day.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up