Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN  (Read 29035 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2006, 07:44:45 AM »

So glad some other DR's (TPUNK & RODZINSKI and TOMovOZ and DP COLIN and DR GINNY [? I know someone else mentioned it]) are all watching MY BROTHER NIKHIL.  And yes, as DRMBARNUM mentioned, the movie soundtrack is very good!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2006, 07:45:01 AM »

Well who the hell would WANT a rose garden?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2006, 07:45:24 AM »

Page Two....Lonely Goatherd Dance....

You can imagine it!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2006, 07:47:18 AM »

Well my show is cast...but of course not without a KICKER.

One family of father, mother, son auditioned and wouldn't do the show unless all three were cast.  It was problematic, but everything else was about equal....  The son was particularly good as the youngest person in the show...a Richard Simmons type character.

So to get him, we cast mother and father in other roles...which they can do.

The KICKER - anyone who has directed a show knows what's coming next....yes, the son turned down the role.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2006, 07:48:56 AM »

Tonight is Picture Night/Full Dress/Family Night for THE SOUND OF MUSIC.  It is going to be all right, although the set changes take a LONG time....and all of the costumes haven't arrived.  Surely they will be there today.

I am a little weary of seeing the Mother Abbess singing Climb Ev'ry Mountain in Daisy Dukes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2006, 07:49:16 AM »

I guess Page Two belongs to ME!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2006, 07:49:41 AM »

MR BK - I love finding old video tapes of shows I have seen or done or directed.  It is like visiting a foreign country.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2006, 07:50:51 AM »

TOD:

DePauw University production of CANDIDE in the early 1980's.  And I realized HOW good it was when I saw their CABARET the next year.

LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS at Franklin College featuring my first cousin once removed as Seymour in 2004.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2006, 07:51:21 AM »

No high school production has ever  made me think I am anyplace but exactly where I am....trapped in hell.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2006, 07:51:34 AM »

Someone else's turn.

FJL

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2006, 07:55:47 AM »

JRand - if that family put pressure on you that all three were cast or none at all, do you have any ethical obligation to keep the other two, assuming they wouldn't have been cast without the third?  Do you smell a conspiracy in the air, the other two wangling their way into the parts while the son knew he wouldn't take it all along?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2006, 07:59:15 AM »

I had one horrendous experience with a high school production.

Because I was known to be reviewing films professionally while I was teaching, the drama teacher at the local high school called me and asked me to review their production of FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON. I told him I didn't want to because some of the students would be former students of mine, and I didn't feel I could be objective to them. He begged and begged, and I said no.

He was SO insistent that he called my principal and asked him to make a personal request to me to do this. The principal wouldn't take no for an answer. The drama teacher was insistent that he wanted an honest evaluation, not a sugar-coated reaction to their production, so my principal couldn't see a problem. I could be as honest as I wished without fear of reprisal since it was not my idea to do this.

At any rate, I agreed to do it. It was the WORST production I have ever suffered through, a total fiasco. Kids dropping lines all over the place, props left on-stage that others stumbled over, deadly pacing, awful acting by all but two kids, and a set obviously put up at the last second.

Well, I wrote the review and tempered any negativity with the few shining moments I could find. I didn't criticize a tenth of what I could have, and even when I wrote something negative, I tried to give the actor I was finding fault with a little praise as well about something.

You can guess what happend: a firestorm rained down on my head when the review was published in the local newspaper. You would have thought I had raped every child on the stage and left them for dead. I got hate mail at the newspaper from parents of the kids involved and from others not connected with the show and hate mail at my school. My poor parents got telephoned by parents wanting to know if this was where "that critic" lived (I had moved out many years before, thankfully). Worst of all, the drama teacher who had begged me to review the production wrote an impassioned letter to the paper chiding me for my "poison pen" and my lack of support for the school system where I worked! I called him to confront him about his two-faced reaction, but he slammed the phone down on me. FOr the rest of my career, that teacher never spoke to me again.

The editor of the newspaper defended me (he knew the whole story) in a rebuttal, but that was the LAST time I ever reviewed a local production.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2006, 08:04:11 AM »

Because I enjoyed Samuel Jackson's THE NEGOTIATOR so much the other day, I pulled his new take on SHAFT off the shelf to watch today.

I still have the last of CALAMITY JANE to watch, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2006, 08:06:32 AM »

TOnight begins the first of the summer shows I'm really looking forward to seeing: RESCUE ME on FX. It's an outstanding drama series involving New York firemen. The show had some shocking climaxes last summer when it last aired, so I'm really looking forward to seeing these fellows and their highs and lows again starting tonight.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2006, 08:22:38 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I have to get the energy to now get done what I need to get done.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2006, 08:27:42 AM »

You can't wash your hands in a buffalo

Uh-huh!

And you can't wash your hands in a bison, either.

???
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2006, 08:30:38 AM »

Well who the hell would WANT a rose garden?

I would...I love roses.

I'm particularly fond of the large-blossomed "Mr. Lincoln"!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 08:48:40 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2006, 08:35:51 AM »

Good Morning!

Hmm... Maybe I'll head to Central Park today...  Hmm...

In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2006, 08:40:30 AM »

What a story, DRMATTH - everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at your rear end!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2006, 08:40:53 AM »

DRJOSE when is the cast CD for LESTAT coming out?

No date on Amazon.com?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2006, 08:41:13 AM »

ENERGY VIBES FOR MR. BK. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2006, 08:41:44 AM »

And the word of the day is: SUCCULENT!
My UNCLE CUTS graftings from his favorite SUCCULENT.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2006, 08:42:07 AM »

Good morning- Jose we should do lunch one of these days while you have some down time.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2006, 08:43:33 AM »

JRand - if that family put pressure on you that all three were cast or none at all, do you have any ethical obligation to keep the other two, assuming they wouldn't have been cast without the third?  Do you smell a conspiracy in the air, the other two wangling their way into the parts while the son knew he wouldn't take it all along?

No, I don't think so.  The character he was cast as was NOT on his audition sheet, but he is TOO young to play the lead (he is 19).

The other two will be fine....and our second choice for his role is actually probably a better choice.  The young man is a high school senior and will be playing a flamboyant GAY character, and I just hesitated to put him onstage in that role for all his peers to comment on.  But he will be fine, and I am guessing he may steal the show.  8)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2006, 08:45:26 AM »

As for high school productions...

I don't think I've seen a high school production of a show since I was in high school.  Oh!  I did see a production of Joseph... in Richmond - a friend of mine was the director.  I'm guessing it was good.  However, the one funny thing I remember was that all the guys in the show had six-pack abs... courtesy of some creative make-up.  ;)

Otherwise...  The Washington Post holds their "Cappies" awards for high school theatre productions each year, and they have a reviews of high school published weekly.  -And they're written by other high school-age writers.  It's a very "cool" program.  Some of the production stills that I've seen in the paper have looked very "professional".  The high school circuit in the DC area is very competitive, and I'm constantly amazed at some of the shows that are being presented: Evita, Sweeney Todd, Falsettos...  -And since the high school band programs in the DC area are also rather competitive, a lot of these shows have very good pits too.

www.cappies.com
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2006, 08:46:50 AM »

DRJOSE when is the cast CD for LESTAT coming out?

No date on Amazon.com?

It's being mixed in Europe as we type... They're thinking it should be in stores in early July.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2006, 08:47:53 AM »

Good morning- Jose we should do lunch one of these days while you have some down time.

:-)

Well... There are still a couple of bottles of wine and vodka here at the apartment from our last party, so...  Oh, and even some champagne!  Hmm...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2006, 08:49:06 AM »

TOD: I think one production I've seen is tied for best and worst.  It was a high school production of OKLAHOMA! that starred many of my community theater buddies.  It was simultaneously awful and fabulous because:

The entire cast played the show as if it were a melodrama- except for the actress playing Laurie.

My friend, a freshman, played Curly opposite a senior playing Laurie.  He was without a doubt, the most campy, flamboyant Curly in the history of the production ever.

There was one actor in the chorus with only 3 lines, but who delivered them as Chris Farley's motivational speaker character from SNL.

Poor Jud is Dead was played off to side on an extention of the stage, while the entire mainstage was a slow moving tableu with dimmed lights that included Aunt Eller comically wiping a girls nose with a snot rag.

Out of My Dreams was begun by Laurie who was then joined by Dream Laurie, and they concluded the song as a duet.  Interesting, I thought, what a nice segway into the dream ballet.  And then the lights came up and they began selling concessions.  Dream Laurie, but no dream ballet.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2006, 08:51:38 AM »

Thanks to DR BEN for the MAME Report....and for THE DROWSY CHAPERONE info....after I asked, I checked at Amazon.com....it is indeed being released in June....June 27 to be exact, so I preordered and got JERSEY BOYS at the same time to get Free Shipping.

So I will have in in a month or so.

DR George reported a while back that THE DROWSY CHAPERONE was also being released on vinyl LPs.  If the LP contains the same tracks as the CD, I might pick that one up.

I've been enjoying an ootlegbay recording of the show and I've been humming the songs to myself--something that hasn't happened in quite a while.  The only thing that sort of rings false with me is the idea that there was ever a complete recording (including dialogue) of any show from the 20s.  But since the show is otherwise so delightful, I can overlook this small detail.

Ain't that big of me?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2006, 08:53:18 AM »

I like wine and vodka.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up