Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SPRIGHTLY AND SPRY  (Read 21815 times)

Ron Pulliam

Re:SPRIGHTLY AND SPRY
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2003, 08:59:07 AM »

Redford:  "Inside Daisy Clover" was my first exposure to hm and I was wowed!  Next came "Barefoot in the Park" and I was a Redford fan bigtime.  I also loved him in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", "The Candidate" and "Downhill Racer."

"The Way We Were" is a VERY special film, and he is an integral contributor to that specialness.

I was touched by "The Natural," even though he seemed a bit long-in-the-tooth for a 30-something ball player.

And he was totally miscast -- and is the only flaw -- in "Out of Africa," one of my favorite movies.

Last night's "Battlestar Galactica" on Sci-Fi reminded me of how great Mary McDonnell is at playing disheveled/unfortunate heroines.  She was haunting and poignant in "Dances With Wolves" as the white woman wholly absorbed into a Lakota tribe; in "Independence Day," she was quite affecting as the mortally wounded First Lady; and now, as a politician who is 40th in line to succeed the president (of Caprica), she gets sworn in on a trasnport ship after a Cylon attack wipes out most of the planetary population.  

She does distress and confusion and assertiveness very well!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2003, 08:59:22 AM »

It's not my favorite - I don't have a particular favorite - but I don't think anyone has mentioned BAREFOOT IN THE PARK. Redford was so wonderfully befuddled in that. And if you don't like him, Mildred Natwick is worth the price of admission.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2003, 09:07:40 AM »

Panni:  Kindred minds think alike.  While I was writing mine, you were writing yours.

"Barefoot in the Park" is a totally wonderful film.  Redford is perfect in it.  Fonda is totally fun, and Natwick is a scream!  A perfect movie comedy, though light and airy...!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 09:08:14 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2003, 09:11:05 AM »

Robert Redford huh?

Glad you had a good birthday - albeit a workaholic one, Mr BK!

RR Directed:  QUIZ SHOW, although the script was a bit compressed.

RR acting:  BAREFOOT & CLOVER.  I also liked him in a movie called DOWNHILL RACER.  And of course THE STING.  I also like him with Mr John Saxon in a movie called WAR HUNT. ;D

I've got - oh yes, I've got it.  I have the flu and will be visiting the doctor in two hours.  Hopefully I will return to work tomorrow. :P

MG & KERRY, glad you enjoyed the tape, yes the episodes were chosen with care and with just those elements you mentioned in mind!  Glad you appreciated them.  It was fun to see them again as I made the tape. :P

TCB glad you watched the interview....Betty is something isn't she? :D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2003, 09:13:20 AM »

JRand53, I am sorry to hear you are sick! Well, maybe sone nice things will arrive in the mail for you today and make you feel better..or at least will help you while away the hours whilst you lay on your sick bed!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2003, 09:20:20 AM »

Somehow, I don't imagine JRand as being bereft of things to while away the hours with....still, new things are nice!

: )

Emily

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2003, 09:20:32 AM »

Good morning!  Good Yawning!

Oh wait - it is 12:15 PM as I write this.

Good afternoon!  Good not-Yawning!

Okay so the coffee has definitely hit my system.  I am once again doing the egg-nog instead of cream and sugar thing and am loving every sip.  I should market this! :)

Today I have to go meet my mother and grandmother downtown to go shopping.  Every Tuesday they go to Mass at the big Anglophone Cathedral (St. Patrick's) which is right smack dab in the middle of the shopping district.  I think I understand why my mom likes going to church so often...

JOSE - Ya got an IM, kid ;)

Topic of the Day:

Robert Redford?  Hmmm... Now there is an example of beauty NOT ageing well.  I will admit he was absolutely gorgeous until about 1990.  Then I think the California sun turned on him reaaaaaallly badly.  Wrinkle city.  I do admire him for Sundance though and his dedication to young actors and directors.  

The movie that I always think of when I hear the words Robert Redford in THE GREAT GATSBY partly because he is great in the role of Gatsby, but also because my middle-aged English teacher showed it to us when we were in Sec. 5 and basically instructed us (all girls' schools come in handy) on how to swoon over him.  She was a Redford fanatic in extremus.  

Toodles everyone... I'll post later. :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Diane

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2003, 09:23:53 AM »

DRJrand: Sorry to hear you are ill..I'm sending lots of good health vibes your way

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Good Health   Good Health   Good Health[/move]

DRMattH: What a great story! Please post a pic of your beauitiful tree
I LOVE A Piano....

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2003, 09:26:28 AM »

DR MBarnum --  

Just for curiousity, who is the picture (bottom of left-hand column) that is currently appearing in your ID area of your posts??

MusicGuy

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2003, 09:29:19 AM »

>:(  ???  :-[

Dear Jrand --

"Button up your overcoat, when the wind blows free.."

Don't you mess with that flu, if that is what you have!  It is a nasty one that is going around this year.

I always knew that Margie lived at The Park Carleton,  but I had forgotten that Susannah's ship was "The Ocean Queen."  My, my !

MusicGuy

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2003, 09:40:28 AM »

Dear esteemed, seasoned, zesty, lithe, and  younger-than-Springtime  BK --

Here's a little trivia snippet that I thought you might find interesting, as far as early days of So. Calif. TV shows.  Do you remember me asking a while back about Molly Bee, and Cliffie Stone??  Well, in my mind I had gotten it all jumbled together that Molly Bee sang on the Spade Cooley Show (The Hoffman Hayride) on KTLA, and that Cliffie Stone was a musician on that show as well.  (My grandpa used to love to watch Spade Cooley).

It turns out that Cliffie Stone (a guitarist of pretty high esteem back then) had his own show called "Hometown Jamboree", and it was on that show that Molly Bee was a regular singer.  It was on from 1950 to 1958.

Spade Cooley (who played country-swing violin) had a couple of regulars also on his show, which ran from 1948 to about 1956....the announcer was Dick Lane (Leatherbritches !), and there was a regular "comic" on named Les Chatter who used the character name of "Lotta Chatter."  And do I remember right that "Lotta" was a character in drag??  I'm not sure.

Just some useless past trivia to maybe brighten your work day.   8)

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2003, 09:41:40 AM »

I just got back from Speech class, where our marijuana debate went fairly well.  I am sooo not ready for final's next week.  I AM ready for winter break...I want to go back up to NYC and see shows and party!

Favorite Redford film (and only one I've seen) is the Great Gatsby.

Jrand--feel better soon! Good vibes are coming your way, and they of the pretty multicolored variety too.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Jose--Guess what?  I should be seeing Camelot on the matinee of Sunday the 21st.  Hope I can meet you again and say hi!

I was really disappointed  too! Adam should have won...He was so cute and sweet and succesful!.. oh well...

I much prefer a man with brains and personality to a pretty boy... ;)

Amen to that!  Pretty boys are overrated.

Blech...off to pick up some transcripts...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 09:42:32 AM by Maya »

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2003, 10:04:46 AM »

MusicGuy, that is a picture of me from a couple of years ago...or are you referring to the photo in the little frame next to me?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2003, 10:10:26 AM »

Sorry to hear about your flu, DR JRand. Hope you get to feeling better soon. Hmmmm. Wonder if the flu virus can be caught on-line!   :D

I was hoping to go to a local craft sotre down the street from me and try to find some red icicles to hang down from the tree to kind of finish off its look. When I get that taken care of, I'll take a picture and post it.

Good news for me about STRICTLY BALLROOM. The Independent Film Channel is showing it tonight (this morning) at 12:45 a.m. and I already have the recorder set to capture it for me to view. So, I won't have to rent it, and I'll be able to discuss it with you nice folks and fans of it tomorrow at some later time.

Life is good.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Diane

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2003, 10:12:29 AM »

Maya: Pretty boys are over rated! I was recently having a discussion with a close friend about how most of the men I've dated are the types who didn't go to the prom, and had their heads stuffed in toilets all through junior and senior HS.  What can I say, I love dorks!  ;D
I LOVE A Piano....

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2003, 10:14:04 AM »

Remember two words, Jrand53: Chicken Soup. Get well soon!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 10:14:52 AM by Panni »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2003, 10:14:45 AM »

Ah yes....thanks everyone for the good vibes...I will be leaving for the doctor in about 30 minutes.  Nothing in the mail today.....so I watched PHANTOM FROM SPACE - which we have talked about at HHW before.

DR MATTH your tree sounds spiffy!  And red icicles should be easy to find...they are my favorite as well!

OCEAN QUEEN indeed!  And how about that marriage rap?  Yes, DR RON, I sent them a copy of the same episode I sent you....I couldn't resist sharing it.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2003, 10:15:57 AM »

OUT OF AFRICA. I agree completely. It's a beautifully made film and it never ceases to bring me to tears a couple of times while watching it (When Meryl Streep gets on her knees to beg for the dwellers on her land, I always lose it). Nevertheless, Redford is dreadfully miscast. EVerything else about the movie is so wonderful. I wonder who at the time would have been better in this part? Today I'd cast Clive Owen and be done with it, but who in 1985?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2003, 10:31:05 AM »

JRand, what do you mean nothing in the mail today! Well, so much for paying for priority mail!!

To the DRs who get Trio on their cable they are showing the 1958 Miss America contest tonight! That should be a lot of fun!!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2003, 10:33:18 AM »

For a complete zingy taste sensation:

Pop a Freshburst Listerine Oral Care Strip on your tongue, and while it is doing its thing, take a nice sip of strong hot coffee.

YIKES!  And Zowee!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2003, 10:41:13 AM »

Good news for me about STRICTLY BALLROOM. The Independent Film Channel is showing it tonight (this morning) at 12:45 a.m. and I already have the recorder set to capture it for me to view. So, I won't have to rent it, and I'll be able to discuss it with you nice folks and fans of it tomorrow at some later time.

Life is good.

Knowing how you love the widescreen anamorphic effect, the DVD would be your better option.

At this point, I'm not at all sure you'll enjoy it one bit.  We seem to share strong likes for so many things, but then we don't share likes for other things.  Perhaps this one is one of those.  

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2003, 10:48:06 AM »

There is absolutely no question about it – The Way We Were.  I love that movie.  I have probably seen it two dozen times.  Granted, it has it’s flaws, especially the hasty wrap-up of the plot and the screwy editing job at the end that leaves you wondering what happened that finally split them up.  Still, the scene where Katie brings a very drunken Hubbell home from the bar and he has sex with her, remains one of my all-time favorite scenes ever filmed.  

I have enjoyed a lot of his other films as well, such as:

Butch Cassidy
   The Sting
   Downhill Racer    
   All the President’s Men

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

William E. Lurie

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2003, 11:12:33 AM »

Today the following new releases (among others) were announced:

In addition to the five Judy Garland films already getting their first DVD release in April they have added I COULD GO ON SINGING.

And although it is still awaiting DVD release, a soundtrack CD is coming out of 2/24 for DR Susan Gordon's biggest hit: THE FIVE PENNIES.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 11:13:20 AM by William E. Lurie »
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2003, 11:44:42 AM »

LOL, Diane!  Dorks are the best!  And some of them grow up to be confident and self-possessed, and then show up at their high school reunions and wow the hell out of all the people who used to make fun of them.  At least it always happens that way in movies.

I sooo wish I got IFC.  Bravo has just about stopped showing the kind of films I like....I mean Queer Eye is one thing, but Celebrity Poker???  It DOES look funny, but shouldn't that be on Fox more than it should on Bravo?

There is a reason I stick to my HBO!  ;)

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2003, 11:49:54 AM »

I'm seriously considering satellite for the new year!

Really, really tired of cable, and especially our provider, ComCast.  Prices have gone up 25% in less than a year and we got nothing more for the money.

I pay nearly $40 for one step above basic cable...no premium anything (unless you think the Disney Channel is premium).  

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2003, 11:49:54 AM »

I'M DONE I'M DONE I'M DONE!!!!!!

Well, okay, technically I still have to get through finals next week, but ALL of my papers are done and turned in, and I never have to write an undergrad paper again!!!!  Last night marked the second night in a row that I went to bed at 5:30 am and woke up and 8 to get to class.  so a grand total of 5 hours of sleep in three days.  I am so very loopy at the moment, but now I have to go to a voice lesson I haven't prepared for and explain to my teacher that the fact that I cannot attend a masterclass tonight because my jazz choir is singing for the president of the college does NOT mean I'm flaking out on her...I told her about the event before she scheduled the masterclass, she just assumed I'd be able to get out of it.  She wrote me a very condescending e-mail last night saying how she was "very sorry that I didn't appreciate the value of performance opportunities."  Hello?? What does she think I'm DOING with the jazz choir, selling popcorn??

Okay, ranting done...I'll post a more sane post later

ladodgerjon

• Unseemly Lunch Date
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2003, 11:53:11 AM »

Rather than just do as requested (list my favorite Redford film), I'll buck the system and drop my favorite Redford STORY on all of you:

When I was in film school, one of my buddies came to class one day and told me how 'something very strange' had happened to him...

My friend had been sitting in his house when he noticed that some 'weird guy' was sitting in his car across the street just STARING at my friend's house.

The weird guy sat there for hours... simply STARING.

My friend started to get wigged, and began thinking about calling the police, when the weird guy got out of his car and approached my friend's front door.

Crazy as it seems, my buddy decided to answer the weird guy's knock at the door.

The weird guy seemed pretty nice, and explained to my friend that he lived in this same house as a kid... and kindly asked my friend to please check the attic for an old steamer trunk. The weird guy went on to say that he hoped it might contain his little league uniform. With that, the weird guy left a phone number and drove away.

My friend, of course, hightailed it to the attic... and, sure enough, found the trunk along with the uniform... photos... and other mementos from this guy's childhood.

You've probably figured-out that the 'weird guy' was Redford... and my buddy was a young Michael Bay (VERY pre-Armageddon). Weird world, huh?

One other twist: I told this story years later to another friend, Richard Schickel (film critic for TIME magazine), who is very close to Redford and his family. Schickel told me upon hearing this story that he had a similar experience when he visited the Redford home in Sundance: on Redford's mantle were some old tin toys.

Schickel asked why an old toy held such a prominent position. Redford explained that he visited his grandparents old home in the SF Valley (I guess Redford went thru a reflective period of visiting old homesteads??), and surprised the current (elderly) owners when he graced THEIR portal.

When he shared some old memories of playing with his toy cars in his grandparent's backyard, the old couple's eye's lit up, and they dragged him around to their garage. There, on a shelf, was a tin car covered in dust and cobwebs. Redford instantly recognized it as being one of his old toys.

And that's... the rest of the story.

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2003, 12:05:12 PM »

Ann--congrats on having finished all your papers!  We should all be so lucky!  :P

LADJohn--What a great story!  Didn't Schikel just write a book of film essays, btw?

Well, I'm off to meet a friend at TGI Friday's...what one would call a combination lunch and dinner? Linner, dunch?  
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 12:05:57 PM by Maya »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2003, 12:09:54 PM »

Oh, Frabjous Day!  Callooh!  Callay!  I'm done, I'm  done with my frigging epic! (At least this draft).  It's wonderful to be able to sleep late, lounge, watch TV, fart around on the internet totally guilt-free, not thinking I should be writing.  I now shall celebrate a leisurely Christmas.  Today what minimal Christmas shopping I have to do...and puttering around the house.

Panni, thanks for the Congrats.  I had my post-partum depression actually a few days before I finished it.  Really, really low.  But actually the writing doesn't get me down...It's usually having to defend the writing later to all the myriad of soulless creatures that want to take a piece out of it on its way to fruition.  I always say I love my work; I hate my job.  

The work is just me and the blank page.  The job is trying to staunch the blood-flow from all those "wonderful" notes you usually get from all those illiterate cretins who get to hack at it with their dull, blunt opinions.

As this was addressing studio notes (I actually have very good executives on this one so far...but it's the opinions of those who green light you have to worry about...those guys who have read it just once, usually too quickly and with not enough attention, and are going to give it the thumbs up or down.  This business is utterly back-asswards), it was something of a challenge to cut, revise, and maintain artistic integrity.  But so far I don't think there's been any major diminishment.  I'm very happy with it, we'll see what opinions come down from the mount.

ladodgerjon

• Unseemly Lunch Date
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2003, 12:14:11 PM »

Maya--

Schickel has a BUNCH of film essay books... but, yes, there's a new one that just hit a few months ago, I believe.

Thanks to the new BK.com site, I now have a new screensaver here in the edit bay... and I don't think BK himself knows of it...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up