Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SPRIGHTLY AND SPRY  (Read 21618 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SPRIGHTLY AND SPRY
« on: December 09, 2003, 12:04:30 AM »

Well, you've read today's notes and therefore you can discuss all that is within or without them.  To it, I say.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 12:03:14 AM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:SPRIGHTLY AND SPRY
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 12:17:28 AM »

Good morning, Good da.. well, Good morning.

-The bed is calling me... what it's calling cannot be printed here, however.   ;)

Just finished up in the kitchen.  I thought I was all done, then remembered about the crud in the oven.  All the burned bits cleaned up easily, it was just inconvenient.

As for Robert Redford, the two that come to mind at this late/early hour are The Great Gatsby (right? that was him, wasn't it?) and The Natural - the smile, ah, that smile!

Once I get some sleep, I'll be able to post some more... but until then....

Zzzz.....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 12:19:28 AM »

Oooohhh, I'm a Full Member now!

That statement is fraught with innuendo.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 12:32:42 AM »

I am glad that was a late night AO post Jose.
Redford:"BC & TSK" and "The Sting". Much prefer his work in "Ordinary People", "A River Runs Through It" and my absolute favourite of his contributions to the world of film ' "The Milagro Beanfield War".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 12:39:35 AM »

I gave another listen to the gorgeous "The Robe" 50th Anniversary Edition CD and it gets more glorious with each listen!

I watched Part I of "Battlestar Galactica" on the Sci-Fi channel and it was really well done!  

Sorry about your rehearsal, TCB.

I remember sucky rehearsals.  They happen!  

I also remember auditions.  I have a combination of feelings when I audition -- trepidation, doubt, and then, when I watch others audition, I start becoming competitive.   At least, I used to.

What I hated about all of it was the agony that comes when the last performance has been given and the set has been struck.  Everyone then just goes their own way.  Sigh.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2003, 01:04:10 AM »

I think my favorite Robert Redford performance would be in The Hot Rock. I also like his work as director in Ordinary People.
Never stop dreaming.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2003, 01:11:04 AM »

Favorite Robert Redford movies as an actor:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Natural
The Sting
The Way We Were
and the episode of "The Twilight Zone"

As a director:

The Legend of Bagger Vance
Ordinary People
Quiz Show
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2003, 01:16:27 AM »

Yes, I'm still up?!?!?!?!!?!?!!?!?!

OH, and I guess I could include Ordinary People since he directed it.  Thanks for the reminder DR TFO!  I watched it the first time in Sociology class in high school.  Got to me then, still gets to me now.

Well, I like auditions... At least playing for them.  However, I have been on the other side of the piano, and totally sympathize and empathize with actor/singers.  But you want to talk about a bundle of neuroses: Opera auditions!!

Hmmm.. I'm digging VH1's Insomniac Music Videos Theater Late Night Whatever They Call It Show... :o

And now..... one more attempt to log off and get to bed...
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2003, 03:43:18 AM »

Good Morning all!  

Have a wonderful, safe day and see you all tonight when I get home!

Hope you had a GREAT B-day, BK!!

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Kerry

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2003, 05:21:05 AM »

Good Morning all.  An early one, it is.  I liked Redford in "The Great Gatsby" and "The Sting" and "All the President's Men."  I've never been a huge fan of his, although I also thought he was good in "The Way We Were" (A flawed film witha few good moments here and there, in my humble opinion-IMHO).  "Inside Daisy Clover" is a guilty pleasure, and he has the right sort of detachment for the role.  I love Natalie Wood in that movie, but I'd have given anything if Gavin Lambert had stuck to his own book when doing the screenplay.  What a great movie the book would have been.

Hope Jane and Bruce are still having much cake and will save some for the rest of us.
I like boat races.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2003, 06:17:59 AM »

Redford? "The Way We Were"

Another busy day today but since one of the things I'm doing is calculating Xmas bonuses I won't complain.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

steveg

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2003, 06:24:19 AM »

Robert Redford film favorites:

"Three Days of the Condor" is one of my all-time favorite films.
Also, of course, "The Way We Were."
I'm just a bagel on a plate of onion rolls.

Diane

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2003, 06:31:39 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Good Morning!![/move]

Redford? The Way We Were and All The Presidents Men

I'm a bit ashamed to admit I watch this junk but did anyone else watch Average Joe last night?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 06:32:08 AM by Diane »
I LOVE A Piano....

Jennifer

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2003, 06:59:55 AM »

Good morning everyone!

Where is everybody today?

Jennifer

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2003, 07:07:39 AM »

DR Diane: I watched it (Average Joe). I am so disgusted by the outcome. I can't believe they edited it that way. I realize they like to make you think it's one person, when it's really the other. But don't they realize that by editing to seem like it will be the guy you want, and then by having it be the other, PEOPLE GET DISGUSTED and nobody will want to watch next season.

I loved Adam. He was no average joe to me. I mean he was cute, sweet, thoughtful, kind and nice.And he was a freakin millionaire. I loved, loved him.

The other guy was beautiful, but he wasn't that bright, had no prospects. I get that she was attracted to him. But Adam was a catch, this guy is good looking, but that's it.

And doesn't it defeat the whole purpose of the show, if she picks the pretty boy they added in at the end? :(

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2003, 07:25:33 AM »

I enjoy Robert Redford in everything he does. He has a conviction about him that translate well, and even in something formless and messy as LEGAL EAGLES, he's just SO ingratiating that you love him.

Favorites include THE STING, THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR, INSIDE DAISY CLOVER (perfect casting). He's too old to play the college jock in the early scenes of THE WAY WE WERE, but he's just right for the rest of it and one of the most gorgeous creatures ever put on earth. And he's excellent in ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN, one of the greatest films of the 1970s, I think.

I have not seen DOWNHILL RACER or THE CHASE, but I'll catch up to them one of these days.

I think his best directed feature is QUIZ SHOW.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Diane

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2003, 07:28:40 AM »

I was really disappointed  too! Adam should have won...He was so cute and sweet and succesful!.. oh well...

I much prefer a man with brains and personality to a pretty boy... ;)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 07:29:51 AM by Diane »
I LOVE A Piano....

Diane

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2003, 07:30:49 AM »

Wow..it's really quiet this morning... ???
I LOVE A Piano....

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2003, 07:31:08 AM »

I like Robert Redford, but honestly have not seen many of his films...actually my two favorite performances of his are from television...his episode of TWILIGHT ZONE is very good, and he had a good role on an episode of PERRY MASON.

Goodie day at work. I am chowing down on elk saugage, crackers, and cake donuts with sprinkles, and downing it all down with hot coffee! Woohoo!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2003, 07:31:20 AM »

I've never been much of a Robert Redford fan.  He's always reminded me of the guys in high school (and later in life) who always assumed they deserved better treatment because they were so good looking.  I'm sure Redford himself is a very nice and decent person, and he's certainly contributed a great deal to the film industry, particularly in his support of new filmmakers, but really don't enjoy looking at him.

Let's bring back radio.  I'd love him on radio.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2003, 07:45:37 AM »

I could have sworn Robert Redford made two appearances on THE TWILIGHT ZONE, but quickly perusing my TWILIGHT ZONE COMPANION, I could only find the one reference where he plays Mr. Death.

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2003, 07:49:43 AM »

I was really disappointed  too! Adam should have won...He was so cute and sweet and succesful!.. oh well...

I much prefer a man with brains and personality to a pretty boy... ;)

Okay the other guy was beautiful. But I just didn't like his personality.

The thing is Adam wasn't average to me at all, even in looks. He was very cute. Maybe not gorgeous. But he was still good looking.  Plus he didn't just have brains and a personality, he was a millionaire :)

(although we only found out about this last night, and he's been my favorite since the first week).

I know it's only a tv show. But man, they totally manipulated the editing in a BAD WAY.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2003, 08:20:40 AM »

I guess I should tell this story about my Christmas decorations. If you recall, last week when we were talking about how we decorated for Christmas, I mentioned I didn't do a tree because I find it depressing to do one alone. As I've been single for the last seven years, I've had no tree. Well, on Saturday morning, two of my dearest and closest friends rang my doorbell and brought in a table top red aluminum tree and to put on the tree were WIZARD OF OZ ornaments and ruby red slipper lights. I went and got a red towel from the linen closet to use as a skirt, and now I have a totally red Christmas tree.

Aren't friends the most priceless gift a person can have? Needless to say, I was extremely touched by their thoughtfulness. They told me they had been planning this for a year.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 08:36:36 AM by Matt H. »

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2003, 08:30:07 AM »

Good morning DRs --

and to the ever-sprightly and always studly BK --

QOTD --- my favorite Redford films would be All The President's Men, The Sting, and Inside Daisy Clover.  He is so nice to batty old Ruth Gordon in Daisy Clover, and I hope that someone will be nice to me when I'm a batty old woman!

DR Jose --  God, I wish I were there to try both the lemon pound cake, and the chocolate thing that overflowed!!  They both sound terrific!

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2003, 08:33:22 AM »

by the way, I meant to post yesterday evening...

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%];D  :D  ;)  8)  ::)  :)  :D[/move]

YEA !!  I now beeze no longer a "newbie" or a "junior!"
My god, does this mean that I'm through puberty??

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2003, 08:33:36 AM »

I am glad that you ended up with a Christmas tree DR Matth! And it sounds very cool....red metal, neato!

I am not going to put up my regular Christmas tree this year as my new cat, Freddy, would very likely want to play with it and I can just see it constantly toppling over (my precious cat, Buford, never bothered with the Christmas trees)..however I did go down to Big Lots last night and purchased a little 1 foot tall tree for $1.99 which I will use this year so that there will be some sort of tree up in the house!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2003, 08:34:13 AM »

Belated birthday wishes to BK. My introduction was via a local radio program, Say It with Music. The host talked about BK's label - and after I played my first BK albums I spotted his name on a couple of favorites that I had grabbed from the "reduced" bucket at the hoity-toity L'Atelier Grigorian on Yorkville Ave. (A Doll's Life; The Anastasia Affaire.) And I came to HHW via Maya.

As for Robert Redford. S. Woody White did a nice job summing up my feelings. I remember liking Brubaker quite a bit, though.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2003, 08:41:02 AM »

QOTD --- my favorite Redford films would be All The President's Men, The Sting, and Inside Daisy Clover.  He is so nice to batty old Ruth Gordon in Daisy Clover, and I hope that someone will be nice to me when I'm a batty old woman!

Isn't that what Kerry is for?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2003, 08:53:27 AM »

DR MattH: that is a great story, sounds like a cute tree. Do you have a picture?

Oh and thanks for the Alias info you emailed me.

Where is everyone?

Wake up, wake up!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2003, 08:54:06 AM »

DR Charles Pogue - I meant to congratulate you yesterday on sending off your mini-series, but got busy and forgot. Mea culpa. As a fellow-scribe, I know what a MONUMENTAL ACHIEVEMENT that is. So - a belated congrats. You must be feeling relieved and tired (with a bit post-partum depression in the mix, if you're anything like me when you complete a huge writing task.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up