News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: R&R  (Read 17867 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
R&R
« on: June 10, 2006, 12:17:48 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were restful and relaxing, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're getting a little R&R, too.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 12:13:14 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:R&R
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 12:18:31 AM »

And the word of the day is: LABRYNTHINE!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 02:41:48 AM »

Wow! First non-BK post of the day!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 02:42:06 AM »

Can't remember the last time THAT happened.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 02:43:46 AM »

Why am I up?

Probably 'cause I went to be at 9:30 p.m.  Totally whupped.

The last couple of days phsycially drained me.

And yet...here I sit, a bit refreshed...not quite rarin' to get the day started...but thinking about it.

I'd like to get a little more sleep.  

But we'll see if that's possible....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 02:48:48 AM »

DR DakotaCelt -- correct answer to my question about the original actors who played Philip and Tara.

For those who don't remember, Karen Gorney was John Travolta's "dance partner"/"ticket out" in "Saturday Night Fever."  Richard Hatch's main career gig later on was as Apollo on "Battlestar Galactica".
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 02:49:48 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 02:50:42 AM »

It's so early to have a frenzy...but when no one else is lurking/lingering/looking, what else can one do BUT frenzy?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 02:51:39 AM »

There aren't exactly a labyrinthine assortment of topics being discussed to which I can add anything useful, impractical or inane.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 02:54:12 AM »

And JRand is off counting Von Trapp children in his sleep; MBarnum is having Bollywood dreams; we know what DakotaCelt dreams of; one dare not "go there" in contemplating TCB's dreams; and many are dreaming of cake and ice cream...or are indulging in same in post-midnight raids of their kitchens.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 02:57:23 AM »

ME...I dream of retirement.  

Sigh (huge exhalation of breath).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 02:59:47 AM »

The weather the past few days has been absolutely glorious...and today should be no exception...a tad warmer during the day, perhaps, but fine weather nonetheless.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2006, 03:07:18 AM »

Since I have not seen any of the musicals or the plays nominated this year I do not have a pick.

With one exception: The wonderful Judy Kaye who I saw in Souvenir. She was so wonderful in the show. Funny, touching and sang awful (which for people who know her is a real acting challenge) until the end where she sings Ava Maria in her real voice.

I hope see wins. (Not sure of her competition.)
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2006, 03:07:47 AM »

I made a pharmacy visit on my way home from work last night.  I needed to pick up some SudaFed and Prilosec.

While there, I looked around to see what was what, etc., and felt a sudden pang of loss in the cards section as I passed the Father's Day cards selection.

I can say with some certainty that I never appreciated the importance of Father's Day more than when I realized I would no longer be able to celebrate the day by sending my father a card and calling him to say Happy Father's Day.

Now I remember him with flowers on his grave.  And I'd much rather send a card.

(Tomorrow would have been my father's 82nd birthday).

« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 03:12:12 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2006, 03:10:15 AM »

Father's Day is June 18th this year.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 03:14:08 AM »

Well...it's time to give the sandman another chance to work his magic.

I'll see y'all when I see y'all.

Play nice.

Don't forget to dress for the weather conditions you're in.

If it's hot and sunny, wear a hat.

If it's wet, make sure you don't get a chill when you come in out of the rain.  Summer colds are the worst.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 04:03:25 AM »

I'm back...briefly...still not asleep, nosirreebob.

Sigh.

Is anybody truly excited by this year's Tonys?  

I'm looking forward to some of the production numbers (if, in fact, the give us any) from the musicals.

I anticipate with some glee a number from "The Pajama Game."

And while we're talking (okay, I'M talking) about "The Pajama Game," I have to say I just don't get it.

What don't I get?

I hear people on TV pronouncing "Pajama" as "puh-JAM-uh" rather than "puh-JAH-muh".  These are people who indicate they've seen the play and otherwise seem bright.

Did they hear anyone singing "The... puh-JAM-uh game... IS... the game I play..."?

That's almost as grievous to me as the mispronunciation of mischievous (i.e. miss-CHEEV-ee-us).

Grrrr!  Teeth set on edge and all that.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2006, 04:04:50 AM »

But....we're all different.

(Of course, I have Webster's on MY side...  :D)

This time, it's for real.

'night.

Dream a little dream of me....and be kind.

td

• td
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2006, 04:40:26 AM »

Let's all sing a chorus (or two or three) of "Ave Santani" since someone else around feels the same way that I do about the original THE OMEN.  It still has its jolts, and I for one don't feel that ANY member of the cast is "slumming." I have no intention of seeing the new flim, simply because Julia Stiles is no Lee Remick, for that matter, as good an actress as Mia Farrow can be, she, alas, is no Billie Whitelaw either. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2006, 04:57:35 AM »

TOTD:
Best musical:  "Sweeney Todd" (Harold Prince)
Actress in a leading role in a musical:
                     Barbara Cook:  "She Loves Me'
Actor in a leading role in a musical:
                      Richard Kiley "Man Of La Mancha"
Best Score:  "Follies"
Best Ensemble":  "Nine" - Original cast.
Best Revival of a Musical" "Gypsy" (Angela Lansbury"

Or were those last year? We're slow with the news here.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2006, 05:00:50 AM »

LOL DR TOMovOZ!  With that list, I would say yes, you are.  But worthy competitors nonetheless.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2006, 05:01:27 AM »

Yes, DR RLP....I know what you mean.  I have said Pa.JAH.mah since I saw the movie on Frances Farmer Presents back in 1962.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2006, 05:02:43 AM »

TOD:

Sweeney Todd

The Drowsy Chaperone

The History Boys

The Jersey Boys

I think all of the above will have multiple wins -

And in the un-official category:  Best Dressed and Most Well-Behaved Audience Member:  Jose Simbulan.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2006, 05:03:17 AM »

I would like to see PHC - thanks for the update, DR PINK....er I mean, DR CILLA LIZ.   8)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 05:03:34 AM by JRand55 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2006, 05:04:47 AM »

The Sound of Music closes tonight.  Final selling percentage is about 108%, since we resold Season Tickets each night, if the patron did not show up by 8:05.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2006, 05:06:24 AM »

Songs I would like to see tomorrow night:

I Wanna Show Off

Big Girls Don't Cry

The Worst Pies in London

There Once Was a Man

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2006, 05:07:12 AM »

Song I want to hear at NEXT year's Tony Awards:

All About Men

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2006, 05:07:59 AM »

Off to work....today and tomorrow is Read A Rama - 15 minute reading for $20 instead of $35.....I usually get 9 or 10.....makes me tired!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2006, 05:46:51 AM »

DR DakotaCelt -- correct answer to my question about the original actors who played Philip and Tara.

For those who don't remember, Karen Gorney was John Travolta's "dance partner"/"ticket out" in "Saturday Night Fever."  Richard Hatch's main career gig later on was as Apollo on "Battlestar Galactica".

When I first got to New York, I was involved socially and professionally with several ALL MY CHILDREN folk:
  Susan Lucci:  I love her!  I worked on a show with her, and she was very close to my friend Bill Tynes.
  Ruth Warrick:  I have the copy of her bio that she signed to my Mother who loved AMC.
  Darren Kelly:  Whatever happened to him?  We were very social while he was doing WOMAN OF THE YEAR.
  Peter White:  Another nice man.
  Karen Gorney:  when I knew her, she was working for an art gallery; didn't her father write "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime"?
Also, a lot of other acquaintances from my professional life have ended up on AMC: Charles Keating, Helen Gallagher, Dan von Bargen
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2006, 05:54:01 AM »

Good morning, all!  I love this cool weather:  I slept so well that I'm running late, and I have to get to the office.

I have no Tony predictions, except that I believe that my friend Larry Blank will be robbed of his award for THE DROWSY CHAPERONE by SWEENEY TODD.  This leads to my soapbox about the stupidity of this production, which has now infected the incoming COMPANY:  casting actors who can sort of play an instrument and musicians who can sort of act.  With no real orchestra accompanying, when the big musical climaxes come, there's no band to support or build the number.  The orchestrations are less about craft and appropriate sounds and more about mathematics and knowing what cast member is available.  The tonedeaf voters will give the lady, who isn't untalented the award for her juggling act and not her brilliant work.

I do hope Danny Burstein and Judy Kaye win:  two good friends of unlimited talent.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2006, 06:05:48 AM »

Good mawnin', all!

Yes, I am, I am up quite early... I went to bed late after quite the whirlwind day. left here at 10:30 ayem, to pick up my nephew Travis in Seattle on the way to Sea-Tac to pick up his dad - my brother Mike - at Alaska baggage claim. Thence, to said nephew's apartment near U of WA, then Pike St. market to buy fish for today's brunch after said nephew's graduation at 10 this morning. We dropped the fish off at the apartment, then drove through heavy traffic to downtown Seattle, where my bro and I hosted a large partay of Travis' 20 closest friends at Todai, a fabu Japanese buffet. All the sushi and teriaki and baked sea bass and tempura and sake and Japanese beer any of 'em could want! It is the end of 5 years of becoming for all of them, and doors opening into their various futures. A solemn and giddy and celebratory and wistful evening...

Then Mike and I left them for the hour and a half drive up to the cabin, and the kidz went off to the video game bar. Now Mikey is asleep up in the loft, and I'm having the early morning of silence and solitude, before we do another day full of momentous memento-type moments... Travis, who is a whiz bang chef, will be cooking a special lunch of Copper River salmon and fresh vegetables for us after the graduation ceremony. Then we'll zip around, visit some of his favorite Seattle spots, and drop Mike off at Alaska Air for a 6 pm flight back to Burbank Airport. And a swell family weekend will have been had by all.

TOD -- Don't know much about the shows this season... I suspect Drowsy Chaparone and the new Sweeney Todd will have awards a-plenty. I haven't been in New York in over a year... so I haven't seen any of the new crop of shows.
PennyO
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up