« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2006, 06:07:07 AM »

Which ushers in Page 2!
PennyO

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:R&R
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2006, 06:08:54 AM »

Hi, Elmo!!!

Howdy, Miss PennyO!  Get your butt back here.  Artie's and I both miss your company.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2006, 06:08:56 AM »

Yeah - lots of talk about other revivals, which will use actor/musicians instead of an orchestra... kind of makes the case for just having the rock shows up there... a few singer/dancers, their back-up bands, lots of projections and laser stuff... bingo, ya got a Broadway show...
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2006, 06:10:41 AM »

Just by-the-by... BK's ideas for a revival of Abner are terrific - I have put that show into my proposal...
PennyO

Cillaliz

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2006, 07:00:33 AM »

I would like to see PHC - thanks for the update, DR PINK....er I mean, DR CILLA LIZ.   8)

I chickened out on the pink hair, but I did freak out the judge...that was worth it.   All the hair dyes had in bold print USE ON DARK HAIR.  Hmmmm that slowed me down

Cillaliz

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2006, 07:08:07 AM »

TOD - I saw SWEENEY TODD on the first night of previews, but haven't seen any of the other new shows.  

So, this is pretty much a guess
HISTORY BOYS - play
SWEENEY TODD or PAJAMA GAME - revival
DROWSEY CHAPERONE  - musical

DR Elmore, I understand what you're saying about SWEENEY, but I have to say I loved it. BUT- a lot of what I loved was that it was so different.  If they do a bunch of shows the same way, the novelty will wear off...at least for me
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 07:11:58 AM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2006, 07:10:52 AM »

Zip-a-di-do-dah the heat wave broke!   Instead of the 100 degrees of yesterday, it's only 57 with highs expected in the 60s. I can live with that...in fact I'd "open a new window" (Mame reference) but it's an old house.  Somehow open an old window just doesn't have the same ring to it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 07:14:34 AM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2006, 07:13:40 AM »

I"ve got to go and find out if my new lenses are ready in my glasses. I dropped them off Thursday. My old glasses are not bifocals and it's driving me nuts!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2006, 07:14:23 AM »

Good morning!

It's beautiful here but already heating up. I was out mowing the front yard (and a small patch of the back yard a little later) at 8 a.m. By 9, I was back in the house, finishing the newspaper, and then beginning my Saturday morning workout.

I may have to break down and finally turn on the air conditioning today.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2006, 07:18:40 AM »

I could not agree more about these useless remakes of brilliant old films. How could they possibly better THE OMEN? PSYCHO? THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE (which might not be a masterpiece of moviemaking but for a popcorn pic just can't be beat)?

It's one thing when someone botched the job the first or second time around (THE MALTESE FALCON, for example) and they finally got it right with John Huston's version.

But nobody botched the job with THE OMEN. I just don't understand the thinking behind these decisions.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2006, 07:25:01 AM »

DR DakotaCelt -- correct answer to my question about the original actors who played Philip and Tara.

For those who don't remember, Karen Gorney was John Travolta's "dance partner"/"ticket out" in "Saturday Night Fever."  Richard Hatch's main career gig later on was as Apollo on "Battlestar Galactica".

I noted that in their bios... AT first you sort of threw me for I was not sure if you meant Philip Jr or Philip, Sr.

Gorney and Hatch are part of the original cast of AMC when it appeared in 1970.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2006, 07:26:07 AM »

Those of us who haven't seen any of the shows are a little at a loss to guess the Tonys. I truly read every website I can to glean different opinions about the merits of these productions, and read intently when HHW DRs attend these shows and give us their opinions.

So, here are some "educated" guesses from someone who's heard only two cast albums (JERSEY BOYS and THE COLOR PURPLE) as far as this year's new productions are concerned.

Best Musical - JERSEY BOYS

Best play - THE HISTORY BOYS

Best Actor in a musical - John Lloyd Young, JERSEY BOYS

Best Actress in a musical - LaChanze, THE COLOR PURPLE

Best Actor in a play - Richard Griffiths, THE HISTORY BOYS

Best Actress in a play - Cynthia Nixon, RABBIT HOLE

Supporting Actor in a musical - Jim Dale, THE THREEPENNY OPERA

Supporting Actress in a musical - Beth Leavel in THE DROWSEY CHAPARONE

Musical Revival - SWEENEY TODD

Play Revival - AWAKE AND SING!

Book and Score - both for THE DROWSEY CHAPARONE
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 07:39:41 AM by Matt H. »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2006, 07:27:50 AM »

And JRand is off counting Von Trapp children in his sleep; MBarnum is having Bollywood dreams; we know what DakotaCelt dreams of; one dare not "go there" in contemplating TCB's dreams; and many are dreaming of cake and ice cream...or are indulging in same in post-midnight raids of their kitchens.

Ron, I would not want to interpret TCB's dreams....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2006, 07:28:21 AM »

Its cool and very windy... which is blowing pollen all over and I am miserably sneezing and sniffling waitng fo the sudafed to kick in....

That is all
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2006, 07:30:30 AM »

The weather the past few days has been absolutely glorious...and today should be no exception...a tad warmer during the day, perhaps, but fine weather nonetheless.

I would like warmer weather also...

I see we frenzy at opposite ends of the day....

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2006, 07:45:04 AM »

When I first got to New York, I was involved socially and professionally with several ALL MY CHILDREN folk:
  Susan Lucci:  I love her!  I worked on a show with her, and she was very close to my friend Bill Tynes.
  Ruth Warrick:  I have the copy of her bio that she signed to my Mother who loved AMC.
  Darren Kelly:  Whatever happened to him?  We were very social while he was doing WOMAN OF THE YEAR.
  Peter White:  Another nice man.
  Karen Gorney:  when I knew her, she was working for an art gallery; didn't her father write "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime"?
Also, a lot of other acquaintances from my professional life have ended up on AMC: Charles Keating, Helen Gallagher, Dan von Bargen

I did not watch AMC until more in the early 90s but I adore Susan Lucci... She is a talented actress. Ruth Warrick was a very, very classy lady.  Charles Keating was also on Another World and I greatly enjoyed watching him. Excellent actor! I would someday like to find a copy of a book someone said they did for the show. I have the one for Guiding Light.

Matt did two soaps in NYC: One Life to Live and Search for Tomorrow. I loved the portrayal of the freindship between Jo and Stu. Mary Stuart was another classy lady. I do have to say I really did like the McCleary boys!

Another actor I enjoyed watched was the late Douglass Watson who played Mac Corey on Another World.

Other NYC based actors I like are Phil Carey and Jerry verDorn.

I like Linda Dano also.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2006, 08:11:30 AM »

Philip Carey is in one of my favorite all-time movie musicals: CALAMITY JANE.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2006, 08:14:00 AM »

And the word of the day is: LABRYNTHINE!
LABRYNTHINE is what a certain breed of dogth (like Marty and Angie) do after a good thampoo, to keep their coatth all thleek and thhiny.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2006, 08:21:54 AM »

...But nobody botched the job with THE OMEN. I just don't understand the thinking behind these decisions.
It's all about marketing, with the 06-06-06 opening date.  Quite boring, but that's the level of imagination that propells these remakes.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2006, 08:24:43 AM »

I must leave now.  Der B must get ahold of his dratted daughter, to find out when they are leaving for the birthday party older grandlad Alex must attend.  The idea is that we will be treating younger grandlad William to a day with his Grampa and Spare.  Which should infuriate older grandlad Alex completely.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 12:51:09 PM by S. Woody White »

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2006, 08:44:07 AM »

Off to get lunch preparation begun.

WBBL.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2006, 09:21:43 AM »

DakotaCelt I will take the walk in the mountains.  Did you post a photo to go with that?

DRLaura, as always I enjoyed your photos.

Penny, I thought you might be in Grant’s Pass.  Seattle sounds much more fun.   It won’t be long before we are there.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2006, 09:22:40 AM »

Cillaliz I’m glad you don’t have pink hair.  Once the novelty was gone (say an hour later) getting your hair back to its original color might have damaged it.  Have you considered one of those spray colors sold around Halloween?  ;D Even those can be difficult to wash out & require stripping.  

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2006, 09:56:24 AM »

Cillaliz I’m glad you don’t have pink hair.  Once the novelty was gone (say an hour later) getting your hair back to its original color might have damaged it.  Have you considered one of those spray colors sold around Halloween?  ;D Even those can be difficult to wash out & require stripping.  

One of my student workers learned that hard way last year. They used blue koolaid.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2006, 09:59:45 AM »

Good morning all.  I have just recently risen from bed.  We had a late night last night out with DR Jason, DR Jose, and Jose's James.  We went to a midnight showing of Xanadu at the Clearview Chelsea.  Neither Rodzinski nor I had ever seen it before and boy were we amazed.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2006, 10:03:01 AM »

With regard to the hairdye, I agree that you have to be careful, but that most mistakes can generally be remedied.  I have had pink hair for over a year now which some of you have seen.  I bleached out a streak of my hair -which can be damaging, but is essentially what hairdressers are doing when they create highlights and can be restored to health- then covered that blond with semi-permanent pink hair dye.  I retouch the pink every 2 weeks or so and so far so good.

I am fortunate to have a sister who is a professional hair dresser and excellent colorist, so I can always get tips from her.  So far, I have not done anything bad enough to cause hair loss. :)

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2006, 10:03:50 AM »

Oh, and when I dyed my hair last year, the pink was completely covered and back to normal.  I had to re-pink after all the kids I worked with asked what had happened.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2006, 10:04:55 AM »

Today I am meeting up with my friend for brunch and then we are going to Bloomngdales.  We are going to pick out sunglasses for him and then possibly a new cellphone for him.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2006, 10:07:04 AM »

I am looking forward to being out and about in the beautiful sunny weather that we are finally having.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up