Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: R&R  (Read 17975 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:R&R
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2006, 02:19:10 PM »

I do think Best Actress in a Musical is the most hotly contested category this year. LaChanze has never won, and besides being so wonderful in ONCE ON THIS ISLAND, she replaced Audra McDOnald to great effect in RAGTIME and has such a volcanic role in THE COLOR PURPLE. It would be a great chance to honor a show that may be losing out in many other categories (like Norbert Leo Butz was honored last year as DRS's only winner.)

LuPone does play that tuba in SWEENEY, and from all reports, seems to have a more consistent British accent in SWEENEY this time than she had in the concert version. But I keep thinking about some bad vibes that happened when she was in that NOISES OFF revival a couple of years ago concerning Broadway Cares/Equity Fights Aids money solicitations, and that and some gossip about a sometimes diva attitude made me think maybe she wouldn't garner enough votes to win in the category. SOme people may still be holding some resentment against her.

And Sutton Foster might come out of nowhere and surprise everyone, too, though since she won not THAT long ago for MILLIE, folks may figure she doesn't need another Tony so fast (though that didn't stop them from honoring Audra all those times so closely together.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2006, 02:20:55 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page Four Dance!!![/move]

Jennifer

« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2006, 02:37:35 PM »

Here are my Tony picks:

Best Musical - The Drowsy Chaperone

Best play - History Boys

Best Actor in a musical - John Lloyd Young/Jersey boys

Best Actress in a musical - Patti Lupone/Sweeney

Best Actor in a play - Richard Griffiths/history boys

Best Actress in a play - Cynthia Nixon/Rabbit Hole

Featured Actor in a musical - Jim Dale/3Penny

Featured Actress in a musical - Beth Leavel/Drowsy

Featured Actor play - Samuel Barnette/history boys

Featured actress play - Frances de la tour/history boys

Musical Revival - Sweeney

Play Revival - Awake and sing

Best director play- nicolas hytner/history boys

best director musical- john doyle /sweeney

Book - Drowsy

Score - Drowsy Chaperone

Best choreography - kathleen marshall/pajama game

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2006, 02:41:04 PM »

I watch the Tony Awards every year; not becuase I have seen the nominees, but because for a long time it  was the only real connection that I had with Broadway each year.

I watched a few of the numbers on Regis and Kelly, or was it the Today Show?  Anyway, what surprised me most of all, was that I didn't care for "Pretty Women" from SWEENEY TODD (and it is one of my favorite songs from the show).  I realize that it is difficult to do a number like that on a TV set and out of context from the show; but IMHO, it just sat there like so much fish.  And Patti wasn't even in the number.

The other surprise was the number I saw from THE DROWSY CHAPERONE.  I knew nothing about the show, other than what several Hainses have said about it; but I loved the number.  That is a show I would really like to see (unless Patti takes over the female lead).

Unfotunately, I have now cancelled all plans on visiting NYC in the near future.  Instead, every penny I can scrape together will got towards getting me to Vegas to see the WSMA in PHANTOM OF THE OPERA!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

François de Paris

« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2006, 02:48:29 PM »

The other surprise was the number I saw from THE DROWSY CHAPERONE.  I knew nothing about the show, other than what several Hainses have said about it; but I loved the number.  That is a show I would really like to see (unless Patti takes over the female lead).

I told Patti what you say and her answer is:

"Oh you b*tch!" ;)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2006, 02:53:28 PM »

I told Patti what you say and her answer is:

"Oh you b*tch!" ;)

Funny, that is the same thing I said to her!
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2006, 03:03:31 PM »

Off to clean up now for my night out.

WBBL.

Ben

« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2006, 03:06:20 PM »

Before I begin let me say that I am not trashing Sweeney. I saw the show and really enjoyed it. It was quite different from any other Sweeney I've seen and I like it a lot.

Patti and the Tuba! The whole thing is silly IMHO. Patti does not "play" the tuba in the sense that a musician plays an instrument through the show. The tuba comes into play at one point in the second act and it's used more for comic effect than anything else. Because she played the tuba in high school marching band or something similar (she talks about it in interveiws), Doyle has her running back and forth between the tuba and her other point on stage during a song. She puts her lips on the mouthpiece and blows out a couple of notes and then runs back to do the song, repeating that staging a couple of times. I don't consider that playing the tuba. Her main musical instrument is the triangle, IIRC. The other actors do, indeed, play their musical instruments and do a good job but Patti is not going to replace  any tuba player in any orchestra.

To continue with Sweeney for a moment, I may have said this earlier when I saw the show. As much as I enjoyed it, there are times when I miss the full show. City on Fire and God, That's Good need a full orchestra and a full cast to make their points, IMHO.

That's all for now.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2006, 03:29:09 PM »

I just realized, der B and I won't be watching the Tonys tomorrow.  It's Dining Out For Life night here in Rehoboth Beach, so we will be dining out and attending the cabaret at Partners Bar and Bistro.

We'll have to record the Tonys instead.

Maybe we can watch them delayed by three hours, so we can pretend we're watching them on the West Coast!   8)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2006, 03:38:42 PM »

Beautiful Rabbit!

I don’t know why they are called rabbits when they are really hares. ;D  

MBarnum

« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2006, 03:44:44 PM »

I am looking forward to the Tony's so that I can see what was or is playing in New York, like I did last year...that way, just in case I am able to come to the east coast at some point I will have an idea of what I want to see...of course whatever Brian D'Arcy James' show will be a must.

MBarnum

« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2006, 03:49:18 PM »

I have been working in the yard all the live long day...I think I want to buy a condo! LOL!

Well, it is nice when the yard looks all nicely manicured, but boy it is a pain to give up driving up to Vancouver and having a barbeque with my buddies so that I can stay home and make my home environment somewhat decent looking.

I shall now shower and shave while listneing to Himesh Reshammiya's debut pop album AAP KAA SURROOR...he has quickly become my new favorite singer!

MBarnum

« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2006, 04:15:31 PM »

I am now refreshed, clean, and sweet smelling due to my shower!  :D

And not a person has posted since I was here last.

MBarnum

« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2006, 04:16:43 PM »

I shall now hie myself down to Home Depot and cruise shop around and pick up some nifty items.

Jennifer

« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2006, 04:17:08 PM »

I love watching the Tonys.  But this week I am actually just as excited about watching Live From Lincoln Center (on thursday at 9pm). They are showing THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA (pbs).

François de Paris

« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2006, 04:31:51 PM »

Funny, that is the same thing I said to her!

Sorry, I did not know you were that close! :D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2006, 04:42:08 PM »

Sorry, I did not know you were that close! :D

Yes, we have met.
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2006, 04:42:24 PM »

PBS "Light in the Piazza"  MMMMM  does some kind person have their DVD or Video recorder ready to help the deprived on the far side of the world.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2006, 05:44:11 PM »

Oh, dear, this will NOT do.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2006, 05:56:42 PM »

Since I'm working on a Montgomery & Stone show, I thought I should see whatever exists on them.  I just watched ALICE ADAMS, in which Fred Stone plays Katharine Hepburn's father.  Peculiar film.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2006, 06:07:49 PM »

I am looking forward to the Tony's so that I can see what was or is playing in New York, like I did last year...that way, just in case I am able to come to the east coast at some point I will have an idea of what I want to see...of course whatever Brian D'Arcy James' show will be a must.

Are you still coming to Ashland in July?

Jane

« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2006, 06:19:17 PM »

This afternoon I decided to soak in the new tub in the guest bathroom.  When I was done I discovered a rather large amount of water on the floor.  Seems the pipes are leaking.  Sure glad I tested this before we have company.

Jane

« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2006, 06:25:26 PM »

This afternoon I decided to soak in the new tub in the guest bathroom.  When I was done I discovered a rather large amount of water on the floor.  Seems the pipes are leaking.  Sure glad I tested this before we have company.

Tomovoz

« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2006, 06:31:24 PM »

That's what happens when you try to wash men out of your hair DR Jane.

Yes. We watched the Reba version last night.  For the time I believed in a Nellie. (don't got there).

I've never "got"Mary Martin.  Maybe you had to see her on stage.  I don't much care for the Josh Logan's run of the movie nor the other versions I have on CD etc.
(Mitzi, Dame Kiri. Lauren Kennedy or Ms Close).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2006, 06:41:12 PM »

Info one can't live without!!!

This day in Disney History:   June 10....

1895:
Actress Hattie McDaniel - Tempy in Disney's Song of the South and the first African-American to be nominated for an Academy Award - is born in San Fernando Valley, California. (Movie fans will recognize her as
Mammy in Gone With The Wind.)
1908:
Actor Bob Cummings is born in Joplin, Missouri. In July 1955
he will help host the grand opening of Disneyland.
1910:
Imagineer and Disney Legend Bill Evans is born in Santa Monica, California. He will go on to landscape Disneyland as well as consult on the landscape design of Tokyo Disneyland.
1949:
Child acctor Kevin Corcoran is born in Santa Monica, California. His live-action Disney credits include Old Yeller (1957), The Shaggy Dog (1959), Toby Tyler, or Ten Weeks with the Circus (1960), and Pollyanna (1960).
1995:
About 110,000 people attend an outdoor premiere of Disney's Pocahontas in Central Park, New York. It is the largest opening ever for an animated film.
1998:
The BET Soundstage Club opens at the site of the former Neon Armadillo Country & Western Club at Disney's Pleasure Island.
2000:
To mark the return of The Indiana Jones Spectacular to Disney-MGM Studios after a six-month hiatus for refurbishments, Disney invites 500 Floridians, mostly from the Orlando area, with the last name "Jones" to be in the audience for the grand reopening show.
2003:
Disney's The Jungle Book 2 is released on video and DVD.

François de Paris

« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2006, 06:43:14 PM »

That's what happens when you try to wash men out of your hair DR Jane.

Yes. We watched the Reba version last night.  For the time I believed in a Nellie. (don't got there).

I've never "got"Mary Martin.  Maybe you had to see her on stage.  I don't much care for the Josh Logan's run of the movie nor the other versions I have on CD etc.
(Mitzi, Dame Kiri. Lauren Kennedy or Ms Close).

Hey, you liked Reba's Nellie willy!!

I like Florence Henderson's Nellie but, to my knowledge, it has not made it to cd! Pooh!

François de Paris

« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2006, 06:44:28 PM »

Did you soak twice??! :D ;D

François de Paris

« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2006, 06:47:31 PM »

Saw Jane Powell in South Pacific opposite Howard Keel!
They were great!

(Who's asking me, hey?!)

François de Paris

« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2006, 06:48:51 PM »

Oh I see! I'm the only one in the Club House?!!

Is there something I should know!

"You've Got To Be Taught"!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2006, 07:07:23 PM »

Quiet in here tonight....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up