Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: TOO MANY CONNECTIONS  (Read 22376 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:TOO MANY CONNECTIONS
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2006, 07:24:15 AM »

Some of you might find this article interesting.  For the speed-readers among you, here's an extract:And further...Now, I could be wrong, but wouldn't part of that "treatment, handling and processing" include dropping the live lobsters into a pot of boiling water?  So the "humane" business means that the customer won't have to do the hard part any more, that's being done out of sight (and out of mind) in some commercial plant.

One more chance for our kiddies to learn where food comes from, conveniently removed for their protection.

:P

I heard about this on NPR this morning.  They said something about scientists stating that lobsters and crabs have such primitive nervous systems, similar to insects, that they don't experience pain in the same way as mammals. They said they don't even have brains.  
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2006, 07:30:06 AM »

DR MBARNUM what exactly IS the Vocal Percussion of Miss Myrna March?

Track List

Bang, Bang , Bang

Tap, Tap, Tap

Bang, TippityTap, BOOM!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2006, 07:37:31 AM »

Yes, DR Laura, it is very nice weather and the cool mornings are not very typical of June. I'm just not a "heat" person. Living in the South, one must get used to it, of course, but that doesn't make me like it even though it's ever-present during this time of year.

But I really don't mean to complain. We had a very mild winter and so far June has been mild. We'll see what happens.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2006, 07:49:24 AM »

DR DtM - I think each of the Haynes sisters married those songwriters/singers/producers Wallace and Davis....they had that BIG radio show, remember?  They were on the Ed Harrison show all the time when they were on Broadway....

True, but they could never go back to Florida.  There were still outstanding warrents on the books for their arrest over that hotel carpet affair.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2006, 07:54:39 AM »

Going to get cleaned up a little earlier than usual for my Friday errands.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2006, 07:54:44 AM »

My SQL Socks--that might be the title of my autobiography.

"Might" being the operative word here...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2006, 07:58:36 AM »

Because life has its twists and turns, instead of THE MUSIC MAN I am listening to Cher's Greatest Hits.  

Do you believe in life after love?

I have this sudden desire to take an aerobics class at Bally's.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2006, 08:15:15 AM »

We're up!

We're down!

We're up!

We're down!

We're up!
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2006, 08:19:41 AM »

Yes, I'm up and tried to log on only to find:

Too many connections

I really want to call these people - I'm paying a lot of money every year, but they are not always happy to talk to unhappy people and their attitude is always "go somewhere else".  It's unbelievable really, but not as unbelieveable as not ever offering an explanation other than telling us it's our fault (which they can't do anymore because we fixed what they asked us to - hence no explanation).  However, if it happens again today, the call will be made.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2006, 08:34:38 AM »

I read MAN/HAT years ago and loved it.  It was once adapted as an opera which in turn was filmed for British TV.  I've scanned the web a few times to see if there was a DVD but I've never been able to find it.

Wow, I had no idea it had been turned into a theatrical piece.  Although I guess it shouldn't surprise me since another of his books, Awakenings was made into a movie.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2006, 08:35:10 AM »

I heard about this on NPR this morning.  They said something about scientists stating that lobsters and crabs have such primitive nervous systems, similar to insects, that they don't experience pain in the same way as mammals. They said they don't even have brains.  

Ahhh, scientists.....well, then......
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2006, 08:36:12 AM »

Oh!  Wow!  I'm actually "connected"...now someone else will get the "too many connections" message I've consistently gotten this morning, along with:

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (11)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2006, 08:37:20 AM »

Soon I shall be making my way to Queens for lunch with Rodzinski.  I don't have to go into work until 6 so I am considering seeing XMen after lunch.  Or I may just visit the park with a good book.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2006, 08:37:46 AM »

I'm among those who watched "Light in the Piazza" last night.

I thought it was fantastic!  I couldn't take my eyes off it for a second and the performances were superb.

It's not the most accessible "musical" I've ever seen, but it's phenomenal theater...and I'm grateful I got to see it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2006, 08:37:52 AM »

Good Morning!

...And that's about all my still-clouded head can muster right now.
Make Your Own Luck.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2006, 08:38:33 AM »

Maybe match.com or some other online dating service can use that as their slogan "Too many connections... at least one of them is bound to be good." Or something like that.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2006, 08:38:51 AM »

And, yes, I was getting the "Too Many Connections" and "Server Not Responding" messages too earlier.
Make Your Own Luck.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2006, 08:54:09 AM »

I'm heading down to Monroe WA in a few minutes, to have the 60,000 servicing on my Honda Hybrid - Yipes! so many miles in two and a half years... well, it's been one eventful time, I tell ya'... And the way folks are gobbling hybrids - yes, it DOES get 50 mpg - I could get almost the same $$$ I paid for it!!! if I sold it tomorrow!

Have a good one, kidz.

PS - JRand - hope you get the part - should be a very fun gig.

AND - eight shows a week is grueling and very hard on an actor. Trust me on this. It's not How Hard the music is, it's having to deliver a performance 8 times a week. So if an actor gets it into his/her contract that they only have to do 6 a week, with a couple of performances off back to back, it's wonderful. IMHO.
PennyO

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2006, 08:55:40 AM »

I got someone on the phone over there - the helpful guy - and I guess he's on this now since we're up.  He's really nice, and I told him that this was all very annoying since we'd fixed all our problems.  He said he'd look into it and get back to me - he hasn't gotten back to me but at least we're up for now.  I'm off to breakfast with Alet, and then I shall return.  Guess I'll be jogging later in the day today, which will be a nice change of pace.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2006, 08:56:44 AM »

As for The Light in the Piazza...

I watched the opening of it last night off the DVR before going to bed.  It really is a beautiful score.  The second time I saw it in the theatre, I was basically tearing up each time a song started.  However...

I do miss the original cast.  Well, more precisely, I miss Kelli O'Hara.  Katie Clarke handles the material well, but there's just too much of that pop-theatrical-belt placement in her voice.  At least for this score... at least for me.  And I was also hoping that Matthew Morrison's understudy, David Burnham, would have been given the role after Matthew Left.  I do like Aaron Lazar, but David sings those songs beautifully - and in the original higher keys.  However, he's still the understudy for Fabrizio, and he gets to ride the bike around on stage every night during the opening.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2006, 09:12:03 AM »

Too many mornings with too many connections - I feel a Sondheim tune coming along.  And it was Mrs. Lovett who says something about corriander, that's what makes the gravy grander.  More hot pies!  More hot!  More pies!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2006, 09:12:11 AM »

...And Ms. Clarke takes off the Tuesday and Wednesday evening performances... And she did not start doing that until well into the run, not until this past February.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2006, 09:15:18 AM »

*And for those Food Network fans out there...  They rebroadcast one of their Wedding Specials this past weekend, the one where a lucky couple got their wedding catered by the Food Network.  Well, it turned out to be Aaron Lazar's wedding last summer.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2006, 09:19:57 AM »

Friday greetings!  Last night was the June meeting of my book group.  In May we'd read The Jane Austen Book Club and last night we were the Jane Austen book club.  Everybody had read at least one JA novel, except our mother-of-a-toddler, who watched film versions of all but Persuasion.  Our hostess served syllabub and ginger snaps and chardonnay, which we enjoyed on the screened porch with the fireflies swarming outside.  It was delightful.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2006, 09:22:17 AM »

Friday media report:

iPod - The Best of Gilbert & Sullivan, Bryn Terfel We'll Keep a Welcome

DVD - Boston Legal, Season 1, discs 3 & 4
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2006, 09:24:34 AM »

As for the Friday Media Check...

"Thrive Mix 2" - A dance music/mix compilation - Great music to clean by!  Keeps me going.
Tuck & Patti - "Tears of Joy"
Diana Krall - "When I Look In Your Eyes"
Deborah Cox - "Easy As Life" (from Aida), dance mix
Quincy Jones - "Q's Jook Joint"
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2006, 09:24:44 AM »

They said they don't even have brains.  

Thank-you for avoiding political commentary ;D

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2006, 09:28:04 AM »

... Victoria Clark was really good, but from what I saw in the show it can't be all that difficult so why does she only do 6 performances a week

In her intermission interview spot she commented that the back-stage antics to get her from various exits to the next entrance added up to three miles of jogging per performance.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2006, 09:32:47 AM »

DR MBARNUM what exactly IS the Vocal Percussion of Miss Myrna March?

YOU will soon find out!!!

vixmom

« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2006, 09:33:40 AM »

Thank-you for avoiding political commentary ;D

der Brucer
I love me a nice lobster, but I don't want to put it in the pot myself, nor do I kill and dress my own chickens, ducks, pigs  or cows.  

Color me a coward!!   :D

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up