Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: TOO MANY CONNECTIONS  (Read 22373 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TOO MANY CONNECTIONS
« on: June 16, 2006, 12:22:36 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had too many connections, and now it is time for you to post until the connected cows come home.  
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 12:18:02 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:TOO MANY CONNECTIONS
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 12:26:57 AM »

And the word of the day is: CORIANDER!

Ben

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 01:16:59 AM »

And on that note I must leave you all.

I tried to get on last night but couldn't. Ah, well.

I will be on my way to the airport soon to go to Virginia. I'll be back Monday with a full report of my time in the mountains.

Bye!

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 01:28:35 AM »

I think Cori Ander played Davis Cup Tennis for Norway.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 01:33:42 AM »

CD:  Andrea Griminelli's "Cinema Italiano". This is wonderful.

DVD:  possibly following up last week's "It's Trad Dad" (aka "Ring-A-Ring Rhythm") and "The Knack - And How To Get it", with Richard  Lester's other early pop film "Just For Fun".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 04:01:01 AM »

Coriander.

A. K. A. cilantro.

PLU code 4889.  I know because we sell bunches of the stuff.

It looks a lot like Italian Parsley.

Usually, the name cilantro is used to designate the fresh herb, the leaves and stems.  Coriander is generally used to designate the seeds, either whole or ground, making it a spice.  But it really is the same plant, and either name can be used in place of the other.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 04:03:07 AM »

I listened to a few tracks on Paul Simon's new disc, Surprise.  They sound a lot like Paul Simon often does, with his long phrases and meandering melodies.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 04:28:00 AM »

TOD: Nothing planned as of yet. I wished I did, but I don't. I might watch The Dying Gaul which I've been trying to see and for whatever reason never got around to it.
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 04:28:10 AM »

Some of you might find this article interesting.  For the speed-readers among you, here's an extract:

Ultimately, Whole Foods management decided to immediately stop selling live lobsters and soft-shell crabs, saying they could not ensure the creatures are treated with respect and compassion.

"We place as much emphasis on the importance of humane treatment and quality of life for all animals as we do on the expectations for quality and flavor," John Mackey, Whole Foods' co-founder and chief executive, said in a statement.

Animal rights activities were thrilled with the decision, not just because of the way lobsters are harvested, shipped and stored but because of the fate that awaits many of them — being dropped alive into a pot of boiling water.

And further...

From now on, Whole Foods will only sell frozen raw and cooked lobster products at its more than 180 stores in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom, said Margaret Wittenberg, vice president of quality standards. And the chain will only deal with suppliers meeting their standards for humane treatment, handling and processing.

Now, I could be wrong, but wouldn't part of that "treatment, handling and processing" include dropping the live lobsters into a pot of boiling water?  So the "humane" business means that the customer won't have to do the hard part any more, that's being done out of sight (and out of mind) in some commercial plant.

One more chance for our kiddies to learn where food comes from, conveniently removed for their protection.

:P

Michael

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 04:32:16 AM »

Did anyone watch Light In the Pizza last night? (Live From Lincoln Center) I had difficultly getting into in it. I had to switch channels every now and then. Victoria Clark was really good, but from what I saw in the show it can't be all that difficult so why does she only do 6 performances a week (She's off Friday eve and Saturday matinnee)
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 04:43:20 AM »

Good morning, all!  I, too, tried several times last night to enter the site. After about an hour I gave up and started the new Moss Hart bio, which seems written with the cooperation of Kitty Carlisle Hart and refutes the "Moss was gay until therapy" accounts of several people I know (knew, in some cases) quite well, including one of Hart's lady friends, and the stories in the previous bio BEDAZZLER.

Dylan is heading off to a family weekend, and I've got Toyland and a performance at the Ensemble Studio Theatre to look forward to.

TOD:  
  DVD:  Berkeley Square, several operas
  CD:  Guy Haines, Jule Styne in Hollywood, Rebecca Luker Leaving Home, Susan Egan
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 04:44:01 AM »

Did anyone watch Light In the Pizza last night? (Live From Lincoln Center) I had difficultly getting into in it. I had to switch channels every now and then. Victoria Clark was really good, but from what I saw in the show it can't be all that difficult so why does she only do 6 performances a week (She's off Friday eve and Saturday matinnee)

She's a bit grand.  And overrated.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 04:45:33 AM »

BK mentioned Tony Scotti's nightclub act. One song and he's done.

Wasn't The Partridge Family like that to0? One song and the show was over?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 04:45:56 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 05:44:39 AM »

BK mentioned Tony Scotti's nightclub act. One song and he's done.

Wasn't The Partridge Family like that to0? One song and the show was over?

Also the Haynes Sisters in WHITE CHRISTMAS.  They had one number, of which Wallace and Davis made a laughingstock.  No more appearances for the Haynes at the Flamingo (or possibly the entire state of Florida.)

Sister Betty is also infamous for her one night, one song, over produced (four dancers!) act in New York.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 05:45:59 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 06:07:50 AM »

M'dia Check:

iPod:  OLC of THE MUSIC MAN with Van Johnson -- this is actually my cheapest eBay purchase--one cent plus $2.49 s/h--a bargin!  Also, an ootlegbay recording of THE WEDDING SINGER which seems to have a different tunestack than the OCR.

Tivo:  Tony Awards and THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA, which I want to view again this weekend.

DVD:  Woody Allen's MATCH POINT (so I can finally see how this ends.)  ALso, the last SCTV set, which I never opened since getting it for Christmas.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 06:08:22 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 06:08:12 AM »

Good morning everyone.  Like Jose, last night was my first time viewing Sunset Boulevard in its entirety.  Up to that point, I had only seen snipets of it.  That Norma Desmond is a hoot, I might be her for halloween.  I really enjoyed the movie and thought the performances were great- including Hedda's pre-show performance.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 06:10:17 AM »

Media Check:

DVD: Alias Season 2 Disc 4
iPod: Best of Melissa Manchester
Book: The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 06:22:44 AM »

I enjoyed THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA last night.  After hearing the cast recording so many times, it was very interesting seeing the physical production.  I thought all of the performers were wonderful, particularly Victoria Clark, Katie Clark and Aaron Lazar (a new B'way hunk.)

One thing that I wasn't too enamoured of--the crane shots!  Too many of them and at times during intimate moments that should have been closer shots.  

As far as I know, previous LIVE FROM LINCOLN CENTER broadcasts have never been released on DVD, but I wouldn't be surprised if this one will be at some point in order to help cover the costs of the broadcast.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 06:45:21 AM »

Media Check:

DVD: Alias Season 2 Disc 4
iPod: Best of Melissa Manchester
Book: The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks

I read MAN/HAT years ago and loved it.  It was once adapted as an opera which in turn was filmed for British TV.  I've scanned the web a few times to see if there was a DVD but I've never been able to find it.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 07:03:55 AM »

Good morning!

Looks like we're going to be in something of a rut for the next few days. Cool morning and hellish hot afternoons and evenings. If I can get the house cooled down in the mornings, A/C might be able to stay off for the next few days.

Really depends on how hot it is when I go to bed. Last night was very cool, but I don't think upcoming nights will be.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 07:05:21 AM »

Yesterday, DR Tomovoz wrote:

"A word or two of thanks of DR's Jose and Matt H and other viewers. It has been a long wait but the final episode of "Six Feet Under" will be aired here next week.  I have appreciated not knowing where the characters go!  The most rewarding TV experience I have had in decades!  If only "Carnivale" had been allowed to continue to a worthy conclusion."

The show was too outstanding to even go close to ruining it for anyone else. And that final episode, well, let's just say I was awash in tears for much of the show, and the end was monumentally terrific.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2006, 07:06:11 AM »

Yep, "too many connections" was the error message I kept getting last night until the problem was finally straightened out. Glad everything seems to be working fine now.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2006, 07:07:47 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - SONDHEIM SINGS, Vol. 2

DVD - LEGALLY BLONDE
          THE DETECTIVE
          THE WILD WILD WEST, Season 1, disc 2
          THE MALTESE FALCON

DVR - THE NIGHT OF THE IGUANA

laserdisc - LUXURY LINER

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2006, 07:10:16 AM »

I am looking forward to seeing THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA when our stations show it on Sunday. It's torture waiting until then to see it, especially since there is absolutely nothing on TV tonight for me, and this would be the perfect time to view it.

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2006, 07:11:15 AM »

TOD:

CD: Gor Mkhitarian - YERAZ
       Ray Noble and His Orchestra - THE VERY THOUGHT OF YOU

DVD: Episodes of ANNIE OAKLEY
         RED PLANET MARS
         THE NOTEBOOK

DVR: Episodes of MXC and SURFSIDE 6 that I need to catch up
         on.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2006, 07:19:10 AM »

DR MBARNUM what exactly IS the Vocal Percussion of Miss Myrna March?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2006, 07:19:27 AM »

Looks like we're going to be in something of a rut for the next few days. Cool morning and hellish hot afternoons and evenings.

DR MattH: I'd call that a very nice day!!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2006, 07:20:45 AM »

DR DtM - I think each of the Haynes sisters married those songwriters/singers/producers Wallace and Davis....they had that BIG radio show, remember?  They were on the Ed Harrison show all the time when they were on Broadway....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2006, 07:22:09 AM »

Well....it seems, I have discovered on my own - that my computer problem was the Grisoft/AVG virus protection software I was using, which I uninstalled.  Things seem to be moving along nicely.

I added the MacAfee Virus Protection offered free by Comcast, so we shall see.

I didn't get home in time to tape/watch PIAZZA, so I am also hoping it will be rerun soon.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2006, 07:23:06 AM »

TOD:

DVD - Valley of the Dolls & The Big Bounce

CD - SEUSSICAL THE MUSICAL, I think I may have been assigned a role in this production....

VCR - MURDER BY DEATH.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up