News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: MOW  (Read 32028 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MOW
« on: June 21, 2006, 12:16:04 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know what MOW stands for and you know what frest means, so now it is time for you to post until the COWs come home.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 12:17:12 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:MOW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 12:16:20 AM »

And the word of the day is: MIASMA!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 12:27:42 AM »

answer:  Maureen O'Sullivan.
Perhaps that wasn't the trivia question!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 12:31:56 AM »

Five guys named Mow.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 12:49:38 AM »

I have no idea what the answer to the little trivia question is. ::)

I don't know if it was an actual "Move of the Week," but on OutZoneTV.com, you can watch one of the first (if not thee first) made-for-TV movies that show gay people in a positive way called "That Certain Summer."  It starred Hal Holbrook and Martin Sheen.  I've watched the first two sections (out of six) and so far, it's pretty good...slow in that 1970s sort of way...but good. ;) According to the blurb on the site:

In 1972, ABC commissioned a TV movie that treated gay people as normal, loving human beings. Not as sick psychopaths who would end up dead, alcoholic, or worse. "That Certain Summer" was truly a groundbreaking film.

The lead roles were played by two mainstream (straight) actors. Recently divorced, Doug (Hal Holbrook) is visited by his son Nick (Scott Jacoby) for the summer. And Nick wants to know who, exactly, is the young "best friend" hanging around dad. Doug decides to tell Nick that his friend is his boyfriend (played by superhot Martin Sheen, seven years before he became a star for his role in Apocalypse Now).

Family values collide but the father and son bond does not crumble — something even more remarkable when you consider the movie was made only three years after Stonewall. "That Certain Summer" is a piece of cinematic and cultural history, a wonderful, heartwarming film about the love between a father and his lover, and between a father and his son.

;D

« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 12:56:45 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 02:15:44 AM »

And the word of the day is: MIASMA!
You will never catch miasma.  I do not cross-dress.  I will show up as Pa, but miasma, never.  The whole idea makes me sick.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 02:24:51 AM »

Today is my day off from work.  As usual, my day off has been co-opted.

The grandlads, off from school for the summer, will be spending too much of their time at the day care center their mother sends them to.  She is too cheap to send them elsewhere, most of the time.  This week, however, the daycaregiver is on "vacation," which she still charges for.  So this week, der Brucer had to plan ahead and schedule the lads for a swim camp.  The lad's mother didn't have the time or inclination to do the scheduling herself.

Which means, of course, that she meets der Brucer at a convenient (for her) locale on her way to her job, and he drives the lads the rest of the way to the swim camp.  The lads get a full day of swim lessons, and play.  She goes to work.  Der Brucer spends his entire day away from the house (unless he really wants to drive all the way back home, and back again), putzing around until it is time to pick up the lads again and then deliver them to Mommy.

Bleh.

Today, being my day off, I will be joining him for his putz time.  We really haven't had any putz time together for quite a while.  We'll probably head in to Annapolis, and putz there.  It's been a while since he's really putzed in the town of his alma mater, and I'm not familiar with the town at all.  Should be interesting.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 02:27:36 AM »

Oh, just to get to the parking lot where Mommy meets him and hands over the lads takes something like ninety minutes.

That's three hours, going and returning, of commuting for der Brucer.

For the week, that's fifteen hours of driving.

What would be a good rate to charge for that fifteen hours, I wonder?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 02:29:29 AM »

I think I'll be introducing the lads to the London Cast Recording of Mary Poppins today.  Time to get them into the idea that there can be more than one version to a story.

Heck, they liked Hoodwinked, which was basically an animated Rashoman.

Danise

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 04:23:59 AM »

Hi all!  Well, the rainy season has hit us and every afternoon we get a downpour.

I haven't been able to take the lap top with me on those days for fear it would get wet.  

They say it will be hit and miss to day so I thought I'd take the chance.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 04:25:01 AM »

As for the topic of the day, wasn't there 3 of them?

Larry, Curry and MOW?  ;)  :)

Sorry, but it was just to easy.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 04:30:21 AM »

You will never catch miasma.  I do not cross-dress.  I will show up as Pa, but miasma, never.  The whole idea makes me sick.

DR SWW! ;D

Good morning, all!  After yesterday's tsuris, I think today will be perfectly splendid, and I think all you DRs, whom I love quite a lot, are to thank for it.  So, thank you!

Today's my last day in Toyland with Mr Murray, who will either be off to London to MD (depending on casting) THE LAST 5 YEARS by his good friend, Mr Jason Robert Brown, or off to Chicago to work on SEUSSICAL.  I believe DR FJL's Skip is coming to Toyland today as well, so we've a full house.  

I've read the first act of the hilarious Singing Nun (the cast includes a postulant named Maria, the Flying Nun, and Mother Superior Helen Lawson) musical, and it's a cross between Charles Busch and Charles Ludlum.  I'll try to finish it today since I have a meeting with the composer on Tuesday.  

Here's a review of its last incarnation:
http://theater2.nytimes.com/mem/theater/treview.html?res=9F05E6D61139F935A25757C0A960958260

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 04:32:13 AM »

I'm still fighting with Verizon on being able to send emails from my laptop.  I know I could use hotmail or some other web based mail but I want to use Outlook because my PDA sync's with it and all of my address are in Outlook as well.

I don't want to have to look them all up and transfer them to a web mail site and I don't trust them as much either.  I don't want anyone breaking into my address book and giving anyone I care about some grief.

Anyway, it's been 3 weeks since this first started and I finely called them up and raised heck with poor tech guy.  I've been told that the problem has been fixed but would take 24 hours to take effect.  We shall see.

Part of the "fix" is that I will still use RoadRunner to accept emails but I have to use Verizon to send them.  So if you get an email from me (only when I'm on the lap top) and it looks like it came from a Verizon account, don't panic and think I changed my email address.  I will still receive anything you send to the RoadRunner account.   At least that is the theory.

I tried it this morning and it didn't seem to want to work so I guess it will be the full 24 hours and then if it won't work, I'll call and raise heck again.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 04:32:14 AM »

Five guys named Mow.

As a bratty teen, I used to say to my mother, "MOW the lawn miasma!"
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 04:33:28 AM »

Good morning, DR Elmore!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 04:33:39 AM »

What would be a good rate to charge for that fifteen hours, I wonder?

$10/hour for the babysitting and the usual $5.00/gallon for the gas.

Good morning, DR Danise!

Danise

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 04:34:34 AM »

All this talk about heck raising has brought me to downtown.  

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 04:40:31 AM »

BK, I wish you  had decked him.   My question:  Why is there no direct link on this site to your Kritzerland CD site? Or if there is, why can't I find it?

Michael

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 04:52:07 AM »

I believe the first MOW was See How They Run with Leslie Neilsen & john forsythe. Directed by John lowell Rich
Plot: Three children are stalked by hired killers after they unknowingly take evidence pointing to the existence of a corrupt international cartel, which has just murdered their father.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 04:53:29 AM »

My ASK BK:

Does your director's cut of The Creature Wasn't Nice aka Spaceship have Broderick Crawford as the computer voice?
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 05:05:55 AM »

The production of Christmas Carol at Mill Mountain this November and December will be told by "homeless" people. It's a large cast (according to publicity the cast will have 26 actors) of actors portraying homeless people who tell the Dickens Christmas Carol story. I don't know. It doesn't sound promising.

Ben

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 05:08:35 AM »

I must get back to the AT&T Foundation. Two days away from the office and I'm a bit behind.

FJL

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2006, 05:09:17 AM »

Favorite Movie of the Week was THE LAST CHILD starring Van heflin.  Very provocative.

Yes, Larry, Skip will see you soon in a little over an hour!

Got to find time to catch up.  Amazing how when I have almost nothing to do, every little task takes so much time.  :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 05:10:28 AM by FJL »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2006, 05:34:02 AM »

Damn Damn DAMN.... *throw the punch bowl*

That was my Florida Evans impression.

I meant to get back on yesterday before the DGA event and mention some of Allison's directors ... just in case.

And of course Walter Graumann directed THE DISEMBODIED and the famous PARALLEL CAPER episode of 77 SUNSET STRIP and he would have said SOMETHING about her, I am sure....if asked.

DAMN DAMN DAMN!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2006, 05:34:47 AM »

BAnking and grocery shopping this mornng....I hope to make it back alive.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2006, 05:42:13 AM »

If I am not mistaken--and I very seldom is--the first MOW was supposed to be THE KILLERS but was released to theatres instead. (Though with all that high wattage star power included, I have a hard time believing that it was intended for TV in the first place.)

I've never seen it.  Is it any good?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2006, 05:53:46 AM »

TOD:

There are so many titles I can list, I don't know where to begin.

DO NOT FOLD, SPINDLE OR MUTLIATE
THE GIRL MOST LIKELY TO...
THE NIGHT STALKER
ISN'T IT SHOCKING
THE OVER THE HILL GANG
THE THIRD GIRL FROM THE LEFT (with Kim Novak!)
GET CHRISTIE LOVE
SATAN'S SCHOOL FOR GIRLS

I could go on and on.  Let's just say that I liked/loved all of the ABC MOW's (except the one with Connie Stevens as the pseudo Marilyn Monroe.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2006, 06:12:36 AM »

CROWHAVEN FARM starring Hope Lange was a real favorite of mine as well.  Really wonderfully creeeeepy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2006, 06:25:37 AM »

Here is a terrific list of ABC MOW's at IMDB.  

I forgotten how many ABC weekly TV series of the time got their start as a MOW--MARCUS WELBY, OWEN MARSHALL, THE ROOKIES, ALIAS SMITH AND JONES and STARSKY AND HUTCH.  

IMDB lists MRS. SUNDANCE as an unsold TV pilot, but I doubt that Elizabeth Montgomery was ready to return to series TV work so soon after BEWITCHED.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2006, 06:42:32 AM »

BK, I wish you  had decked him.   My question:  Why is there no direct link on this site to your Kritzerland CD site? Or if there is, why can't I find it?

At some point Mr. Mark Bakalor will get around to it, I suppose.  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up