Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: I DREAM OF JEANNIE  (Read 30089 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:I DREAM OF JEANNIE
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2006, 07:08:17 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - SUBWAYS ARE FOR SLEEPING (OCR)

DVD - SUPERMAN - Season 3, disc 2
          CHARLIE CHAN IN SHANGHAI
          MY BLUE HEAVEN (Betty Grable, not Steve Martin)

DVR - THE GIRL MOST LIKELY
          THAT NIGHT IN RIO
           BILLY WILDER SPEAKS

laserdisc - ANASTASIA (animated version)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 07:14:03 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2006, 07:10:34 AM »

Page Two Bambi Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2006, 07:12:35 AM »

Didn't anyone watch BILLY WILDER SPEAKS on TCM last night? This is a series of candid interviews Wilder gave with the stipulation that they couldn't be shown until after his death. Promises to be very candid.

I understand it's subtitled as he spoke in German for the interviews, but as a BIG fan of his films, I am looking forward to seeing this today at some point.

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2006, 07:27:30 AM »

Friday morning greetings from your resident information waitress!  It's the fifth day of my work week, so I'm waitressing all day today.

Delightful story from BK about the email/phone call from long lost Jeannie.  Makes me think about people from 35-40 years ago with whom I've lost contact.

TOD:

CD - The Benjamin Britten Beggar's Opera, which DR Elmore sent me.  I tried listening in the car and decided to wait until I can give it my undivided attention and use headphones.  You see, I was his rehearsal assistant for a production of this piece back in 1979.  I also want to try to find a program from that production to fully immerse myself in nostalgia!

DVD - Get Shorty
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2006, 07:29:29 AM »

Here is something to get your morning off to a frightening start!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2006, 07:30:27 AM »

Well... I need to get ready to head back up to Vassar, so...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2006, 07:33:31 AM »

I'm going to get ready and head out earlier than usual, too. Maybe I can beat some of the more intense heat if I go do my errands now.

WBBL.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2006, 07:33:41 AM »

Marcy!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2006, 07:39:59 AM »

MattH, I watched the Billy Wilder thing, the later showing, until I fell asleep. It's kind of slow-going at first. He talks on videotape, mostly in German. It gets going when it gets to some personal recollections, about Monroe, Tony Curtis, etc.  There's also a powerful story regarding how the studio wanted to make STALAG 17 palatable to German audiences. There wasn't a whole lot of overly surprising stuff, but it is interesting.

One wishes the interviewer were a little more thorough; the guy interrupts Wilder a few times, but I guess we take what we can get.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2006, 07:44:04 AM »

DR Dakota Celt - Did you catch my San Fran Chocolate Post from last night?  Just wundrin'....

Yes, I did and forwarded teh info to my freind.... Thank you!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2006, 07:45:54 AM »

Media Check:
Someone lent me Jerome Kern/P.G. Wodehouse SITTING PRETTY cds, so I may listen to those.
Someone else forwarded me an mp3 of a Neil Diamond song called "Porcupine Pie" which is utterly absurd.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2006, 07:54:49 AM »

Just had a call from UPS - the guy said my package was sitting there with a note and he didn't know what to do with it.  I said, "Why don't you try delivering it, which is what they were supposed to do at six pm yesterday."  So, it will, according to him, be delivered today to my mail place.  These people.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2006, 08:12:00 AM »

I remember the Serendipity Singers!

Do you also remember the Swingle Singers?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2006, 08:13:43 AM »

Just had a call from UPS - the guy said my package was sitting there with a note and he didn't know what to do with it.  I said, "Why don't you try delivering it, which is what they were supposed to do at six pm yesterday."  So, it will, according to him, be delivered today to my mail place.  These people.

Just playing devil's advocate...but that note may have confused the situation...he may not have understood what the writer of the note expected....either for it to be delivered or that the customer would come in and claim it.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2006, 08:15:26 AM »

Page Two Bambi Dance!!!

Bambi looks like he's either getting ready to perform...or has just performed...."Number Two".

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2006, 08:17:56 AM »

I'm sure the note was confusing - what else is new?  The guy yesterday promised he'd get it delivered to my house - instead he wrote some note that wasn't clear, left for the day, and there it sat.  What else is new?  Will it get there today?  Who knows?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2006, 08:18:13 AM »

With a great deal of effort, planning and pre-staging, serendipity was achieved.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2006, 08:21:54 AM »

We had a boon last night...a blessing...one of the great natural wonders....

The Bay ARea has been in the grips of a heat wave this week....and yesterday was the hottest yet, inland, with temps well into the 100s.  But something WONDERFUL happened along the coast.

The "Marine Layer" (aka the fog) advanced closer to the coast and the day was blessed with some ocean breezes (for San Francisco and Oakland, at least), albeit warm breezes.

And then....suddenly last summer night...the fog crept in over the city of San Francisco...and we, here in Oakland, began getting really cool breezes.

The day is going to be another hot one, but the fog will again roll in tonight to cool us all down.

And THAT'S why I moved here....!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 08:22:42 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2006, 08:24:09 AM »

Here is something to get your morning off to a frightening start!

Which one is Marcy....the dame, the doll or the deer?

:)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2006, 08:37:06 AM »

What really freaks me out about this picture is it looks as though the woman is either emerging from the rock or her legs have turned to stone..... :P
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2006, 08:45:03 AM »

What really freaks me out about this picture is it looks as though the woman is either emerging from the rock or her legs have turned to stone..... :P

OMG, she does!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2006, 08:46:25 AM »

I told you it was creepy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2006, 08:51:18 AM »

I vaguely remember an episode of either The Twilight Zone or Outer Limits that had a creepy doll like that! :o
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2006, 08:51:23 AM »

I love Marcy - thanks to this site I have her breakout album Marcy Sings Jesus Loves Me.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2006, 08:52:09 AM »

Not sure but I agree with vixmom, that picture is creepy...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2006, 08:52:46 AM »

not sure who Marcy is...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2006, 08:53:44 AM »

I vaguely remember an episode of either The Twilight Zone or Outer Limits that had a creepy doll like that! :o

Some one was telling that Passions has talking dolls.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2006, 08:54:25 AM »

and mermaids and orangutans.... I have only heard this for I choose not to watch that program

Cillaliz

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2006, 08:59:10 AM »

Ok, I gave in.....when the men came to mow my lawn this morning I stepped outside to greet them and "the cat" came running up the stairs and made a bee line straight for me wanting me to pick her up.

The little girls across the street had named "The Cat"   Bootsie.   When I was growing up there were 2 cats in our neighborhood. One was Callie and another was Bootsie - so Bootsie she'll stay. The girl next door who's about 5 or 6 said "Well, I think Bootsie is her REAL name"  How can I mess with that.

Bootsie goes to the vet in about a half hour. They'll be keeping her for the weekend. She'll get her shots, defleaed, i think she has ear mites so they'll take care of that, test her for feline leukemia - the whole shebang.
On Monday morning she'll be spayed and late Monday afternoon she'll be home to stay.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2006, 09:01:31 AM »

With Telly Savalas as the nasty stepfather!

“Living Doll” is an episode of the television series The Twilight Zone.

Details
Episode number: 126
Season: 5
Production code: 2621
Original air date: November 1, 1963
Writer: Jerry Sohl, credited to Charles Beaumont
Director: Richard C. Sarafian
Music: Original score by Bernard Herrmann

Cast
Erich Streator: Telly Savalas
Annabelle Streator: Mary LaRoche
Christie: Tracy Stratford
Talking Tina (voice): June Foray

SPOILERS!!!!!

Erich Streator’s stepdaughter Christie brings home an unusual doll named Talking Tina that is programmed to say "My name is Talking Tina and I love you very much." However, because Erich is mean to his stepdaughter, the doll says other things to him starting with "I don't think I like you" and ending with “I’m going to kill you.” Erich's wife, Annabelle, is aware that Erich does not like Christie because she reminds him that he is infertile. He is still angry with Annabelle for not revealing Christie's existence until just before their marriage. Erich tries various ways to get rid of the doll, but succeeds only in alienating Annabelle, who doesn't believe his story that the doll is evil. The doll finally gets its revenge when Erich trips on it, causing him to fall down the stairs and die. After Erich's death, Annabelle picks up the doll and looks at it suspiciously. The doll then says to Annabelle, "my name is Talking Tina, and you better be nice to me

I was a 5 when I saw that... I never asked for a talking doll !!!!

« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 09:35:44 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up