Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 1776  (Read 19183 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:1776
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2006, 09:01:48 AM »

I've never been a big fourth of July party-guy.  Most interesting was during bicentenniel summer.  We had just closed a production of Rainmaker in St.  Petersburg, FL, and much of the cast was driving back to Texas.  Larry Drake and I were in my car.  And the actor who played File and his family were in another.  We had a leisurely picnic along the roadside, then stopped for the night in Jackson, Mississippi, where we sat in a diner and watched fireworks.

Jrand, love the Laurel and Hardy.  Saw Hardy, pre-Stan, in a wretched silent version of The Wizard of Oz on TCM, where he played the tin-man (sort of) in an unrecognizable adaptation of the story which seemed mostly a clothesline on which to hang the dubious anctics of a dreadful comedian with the unfortunate name of Larry Semon.  

This was followed by a fifteen minute version of Wizard of Oz from 1910 with a ten year old Bebe Daniels playing Dorothy. 30's Director Robert Z. Leonard also played a role but I can't remember which one.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2006, 09:40:37 AM »

Some Leslie Jordan quotes:

About his grandmother:  "She made a red velvet cake that would make a Baptist get up and dance."

About his roommate in Atlanta:  "He was as nelly as pink ink."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2006, 09:49:03 AM »

The 4th of July is one of those holidays that's never been particularly sacrosanct for me in terms of having set traditions to observe.

Sort of like Memorial Day and Veterans Day (the import of either is not lost on me in any way), the 4th is a day set aside for specific observation of specific events.

I know fireworks are a part of the plan, community wise, and I enjoy a good display of fireworks.  My annual watching of "1776" happens on the 4th.

But the rest of the day is kind of lost on me except as an extra day off in the summer....and the last "holiday" until Labor Day, which I usually take rather personally as it nearly always falls on or on either side of my birthday (in observance, that is).  A sort of "Hurray for ME!" holiday.  And a commemoration of the labor my mother went through giving birth to me, dontchaknow.

But, sacrosanct or not, my heartiest HAPPY 4th of July greetings to all and sundry.

Even our Aussie, Canadian and French compadres.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2006, 10:25:50 AM »

I have seen 1776 several times and I have enjoyed it each time I have seen it.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ginny

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2006, 10:26:43 AM »

Independence Day greetings!  We are home from Centerville, where I walked behind the banner for the Miami Valley Association of Volunteer Administrators.  It rained pretty much the whole way, so this parade appearance for me was not nearly as glamorous as the one in the Victorian gown 30 years ago.

Welcome to new D(ear)R(eader) Jeanne!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2006, 10:32:42 AM »

Welcome, Jeanne from Culver City!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2006, 10:33:20 AM »

Thank you all for the warm welcome! Will check in periodically.

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2006, 10:44:05 AM »

TOD - Here are some of my 4th of July memories:

1963, Bar Harbor, Maine:  On vacation with my parents and we watched a fireworks display over Frenchman's Bay - all the boats showed their appreciation by blowing their horns

1976, Middletown, Ohio:  The much-discussed parade in which our community theater entered a float commemorating 3 centuries of American theater:  1776, The Contrast; 1876, melodrama; 1976, The Wiz.  The parade ended at the newly-completed City Building.

1996, Custer, South Dakota:  DH Richard, DS Rob, and I were in the first week of our first road trip out west.  We'd visited Mt. Rushmore on July 3 and went to Wind Cave National Park on the 4th.

The most unique fireworks I've ever seen were not on July 4, but during Middfest, the international festival that our community hosts the first weekend in October.  In 1982, the featured country was Mexico, so the big finale to the festival was a display of Mexican fireworks, which the organizers had great difficulty getting into the country.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2006, 10:54:12 AM »

Happy 4th!!!   I normally spend the 4th with family at the lake. Which can be wonderful and a pain in the butt all at the same time.  But this year, I'm staying home working on cat independence day.   Today was a banner day.  Bootsie saw the rest of the house and for about 45 minutes to an hour, there were 2 cats roaming free.  Then Bootsie jumped on Nilla's chair and Callie got VERY upset.  I decided to end it before it got ugly. Only a few hisses and only one "In your face" confrontation, but no scratching and no biting so I am most pleased.

Cillaliz

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2006, 11:03:51 AM »

I have several memorable 4ths.  One I was very small and the whole neighborhood, friends and family gathered for a huge display in a field near our house (we lived on the outskirts of town).  I think that's the year my dad won a case where he was defending a big fireworks company....anyway, I digress...

The first or second roman candle misfired and landed in a huge box of fireworks!  Rockets were careening along about 2 feet off the ground. Grown men were running through the field and jumping fenses to get away from them.   No one was hurt, just a scrape or two, but the show didn't last long and even though it wasn't the spectacular bombs bursting in air. It was a night that no one forgot and is discussed by those in attendance any time the subject of fireworks comes up.

Cillaliz

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2006, 11:04:45 AM »

I have many fond memories of homemade custard ice cream and making it with the old hand crank ice cream maker with ice and salt...it seemed like we waited forever, but man was it good

Cillaliz

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2006, 11:06:19 AM »

The other most memorable was on the party barge on West Okoboji.  It was about 6 years ago...lots of crazy young college kids, lots of silly antics and just a beautiful day and a wild but within bounds good time was had by all

Cillaliz

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2006, 11:07:34 AM »

I have seen some incredibly wonderful fireworks shows over the lakes.  One lake has them on the 3rd (the lake we lived on) and another has them on the 4th.  I actually prefer watching them from the shore, but I have been in the boat....sometimes a little too close for comfort.

Cillaliz

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2006, 11:13:51 AM »

WELCOME JEANNE !!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2006, 11:16:18 AM »

I just realized I've taken over 850 photos since I got my new camera a little over a month ago!  I'm burning them all to CDs so I know I won't lose them.   I have many discs to burn for others of portions of said photos, but that will have to wait for another day

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2006, 11:16:55 AM »

A HHW Welcome to New DR Jeanne!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2006, 11:20:54 AM »

In 1976 (when I was 10), we lived in Colorado.  The country was celebrating the bicentennial and Colorado was celebrating its centennial.  There were huge events, lots of concerts in parks, big fireworks, etc.  There was one event where they had a huge scroll and everyone who was there was supposed to sign it because the scroll and a whole bunch of other stuff were being put into a time capsule that was going to be put on top of Pike's Peak and opened in 2076.  I signed the scroll five times. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2006, 11:30:11 AM »

Today, my sister is having a barbecue at her house at around 4:00.  That's fine, except that she wants me to mow her back yard. :P I don't really have a choice.  So, after I've dawdled long enough (and before it gets too hot), I have to go mow her lawn, then I'll take a shower.  If there's time, I want to go to Circuit City (I got a $30 gift card for my birthday) to see if they have the DVD to the new "Doctor Who."  

George

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2006, 11:32:02 AM »

Also, every July 4th, our family watches either "Independence Day" with Will Smith or "1776" with William Daniels.  I'm pretty sure that this year it's "1776." :) I also will bring the CD that I made from the soundtrack of the complete laserdisc.  I think I did a pretty good job with that one. ;D

George

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2006, 11:36:44 AM »

So the people next door continue to have the houseguests and tent guests and I took some of the visiting children blueberry picking yesterday - it's about 10 days early this year, for some reason...

It's Global Warming!  The End of the World!!  RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!! :o

;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2006, 11:40:07 AM »

Can you say stomach ache?????

Kobayashi sets new hot dog eating record

Joey Chestnut gave Takeru Kobayashi a run for his money, pushing the reigning Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest champion to a new world record.

Kobayashi ate 53 3/4 hot dogs (with buns) to claim his sixth consecutive Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest title. Chestnut, who had hoped to bring the hot dog eating championship home to America, made the competition with Kobayashi close finished with 52 hot dogs.
The previous world hot dog eating record, also set by Kobayashi, was 53 1/2 hot dogs (with buns).

George

« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2006, 11:59:31 AM »

I just watched the launching of the space shuttle Discovery!  Actually, I started watching about a minute after it took off.  Watching it from cameras actually on the Discovery traveling at 14,000 miles an hour and seeing the solid booster rockets fall off from the shuttle itself is pretty darned cool!

George

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2006, 12:07:18 PM »

Well...it's time to mow the lawn.  Have a good (and safe) 4th, everyone!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2006, 12:07:59 PM »

So, the other day I bought one hundred dollars worth of mailing envelopes that clearly stated CD and DVD mailers.  Well, maybe they hold the DVD itself, the disc, that is, but they certainly don't hold a DVD case.  Therefore, I cannot preaddress labels today as planned, and I have to return all these first thing in the morning and get ones that WILL hold a DVD case.  I suppose I could just address the labels, but they're on rolls and it's very unwieldy and difficult to do so.  So, tomorrow, prior to the discs arriving (probably late afternoon would be my guesstimate), I shall address one hundred packages and their delivery confirmation tags.  I might try to get a helper over here.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2006, 12:13:05 PM »

I just watched the launching of the space shuttle Discovery!  Actually, I started watching about a minute after it took off.  Watching it from cameras actually on the Discovery traveling at 14,000 miles an hour and seeing the solid booster rockets fall off from the shuttle itself is pretty darned cool!
Ditto here!  Der Brucer recorded it, to make sure the grandlads get to see it.  Amazing how, even after all these years since Project Mercury, watching a liftoff still can be exciting.

And an appropriate fireworks display for this Fourth of July!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2006, 12:13:53 PM »

Well...it's time to mow the lawn.  Have a good (and safe) 4th, everyone!!
Stay safe, George.  Remember, remain BEHIND the lawn mower at all times!   ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2006, 12:15:56 PM »

Can you say stomach ache?????

Kobayashi sets new hot dog eating record

Joey Chestnut gave Takeru Kobayashi a run for his money, pushing the reigning Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest champion to a new world record.

Kobayashi ate 53 3/4 hot dogs (with buns) to claim his sixth consecutive Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest title. Chestnut, who had hoped to bring the hot dog eating championship home to America, made the competition with Kobayashi close finished with 52 hot dogs.
The previous world hot dog eating record, also set by Kobayashi, was 53 1/2 hot dogs (with buns).

I'm having a TCB moment, trying to imagine a guy pushing his mouth next to that many buns.

Sorry, but it had to be said.   ::) :P :-X

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2006, 12:18:37 PM »

...If there's time, I want to go to Circuit City (I got a $30 gift card for my birthday) to see if they have the DVD to the new "Doctor Who."  
Oh, definate ditto here!  Will I convince der B to get us out of the house to hunt?  (He keeps calling Doctor Who "that stupid thing," the cretin!)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2006, 12:20:55 PM »

Thank you all for the warm welcome! Will check in periodically.
Welcome, DR Jeanne!  Tell us all about yourself.  Do you pronounce your name a la Francais as "zhahn" or, a la my cousin, Jeanie?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2006, 12:30:22 PM »

Welcome DR Jeanne!!

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up