Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 1776  (Read 19196 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« on: July 04, 2006, 12:15:01 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're feeling oh so patriotic and red, white, and blue, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're trying to figure out what salt peter has to do with the price of tomatoes.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 12:20:59 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:1776
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 12:15:32 AM »

And the word of the day is: SACROSANCT!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 12:24:54 AM »

I think the "Sacro" was one of the Tea Clippers in Boston Harbour but she sanct.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 12:29:10 AM »

I guess it's hardly surprising but I have never attended a party for, nor attended a celebration of, July 4th.
I'm not even a cockeyed optimist about the day.

Have a great day USA.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 12:33:23 AM »

It's possible that I'm as a gay as Kansas in August. I'm on the other side of the Rainbow in OZ.
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 12:35:53 AM »

AARRGGHH!!  I came across the answer to the Unseemly Trivia Contest and Dan Goggin but didn't think that that was it because Nunsense was off-Broadway and for some reason I was thinking (wrongly, I now realize) that the most frequently produced musical was a Broadway musical.  Darn. :(
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 05:37:59 AM »

And the word of the day is: SACROSANCT!
A CRASS ACT ON the previously SACROSANCT Broadway stage left a SCAR ON CATS' junkyard set.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 05:38:32 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 05:46:00 AM »

Growing up in Burbank, I fondly remember the city's annual fireworks displays.  The fireworks were set off from Stough Park, which was up in the hills above the San Fernando Valley.  We happened to live right below the park...well, there was quite a lot of hill slope between us and the park, but there was nothing but undeveloped area, making the view quite good.  We had the choice of viewing the fireworks from either our front yard or back.

The back yard soon became preferable, because a number of other people in the city (and probably from elsewhere as well) discovered what a wonderful viewing area our street was.  People would stake out parking places in front of the houses, and watch from where their cars were parked.

As the fireworks show progressed, we could hear the "oohs" and "aahs" from the street.

I don't remember there being much trash left on the street by our annual visitors.  It was a more friendly, considerate time.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 06:01:57 AM »

Rehoboth Beach held it's fireworks display on Sunday.  It's an annual thing, of course, one that der Brucer and I watched from the roof of a Boardwalk hotel a couple of years ago, and quite spectacular.

This year, der B's daughter and her family decided to watch the fireworks from the beach itself.  I opted not to join them, and from der B's report I was wise to do so.

For one thing, I had an early call to work on Monday, so I wanted to get to bed early as well.  And I don't funtion well with really crowded areas.  And as for Mommy's habit of screaming at people...

Rehoboth shuts down all downtown traffic on Fireworks Night.  Anyone wanting to get into the town can park their car in a large field next to the highway for a fee of ten bucks, which goes to various beneficial local organizations.  The town then operates a shuttle from the parking area into town, a good use of the local school busses.  Visitors can load as many people as they want in their cars, same price.

So Mommy, Daddy, Der Grampa, the grandlads Alex and William, and Mommy's Cousin and her son Brody all packed into Mommy's SUV and parked in the designated field, then shuttled towards the beach.  Der Grampa suggested to Mommy that they find a place close to the Boardwalk, so that if anyone needed to use the bathroom it wouldn't be impossible to reach one.  No, Mommy couldn't forsee it being that packed, and parked herself, her chairs, and her blankets close to the water.

Of course, there was lots of time between when they arrived at the beach and the fireworks display.  Had they remembered to bring things that would amuse the grandlads and their cousin?  Rhetorical question.

Soon Mommy was screaming her head off at the boys, because they were getting sand on their hands.  The boys, by this time, have learned not to listen to her, which only makes her angry and gets her to scream even more.

Then Mommy started screaming at the other people on the beach, because they were getting sand on the blankets she had stretched out in front of her.  She had staked out her section of the beach, and dammit she was going to make sure it was HERS!!!  Daddy kept his mouth shut, fuming.

The fireworks certainly were spectacular, from what der Brucer told me later.  So were the ones that took place in the sky.

I'm glad I missed them.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 06:08:29 AM »

Well, six in the morning is not my idea of sleeping in, so I'm going to try and go back to bed.  How annoying.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 06:43:27 AM »

Good morning, all!  I slept in this morning, so my day is beginning later than usual.  I see from the cauldron of eggs on the stove that my sister-in-law and chef par excelllence Jo Annwill be devilling eggs today and I believe we will barbecuse some ribs.

I need to walk next door and see how my dad is doing.  I'm hoping that this weekend DRGinny will come by and photograph the houses so I can show you the geography of this particular enclave.  

DR Ginny should also post a shot of herself in that lovely Victorian gown.

My best Fourth of July?  I have fond memories of several in my childhood filled with ice cream, family picnics and a night of firework displays.  I believe my last celebratory one was in Logan, Utah, in 1997 while I was working on the Utah Festival Opera production of GREENWILLOW.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 06:44:33 AM »

BK's Challenge from yesterday:

No one, not even MBarnum, can guess the movie campaign that used a variant of uxorious in their ads?  Hint: William Castle.

Answer: I Saw What You Did.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 06:47:12 AM »

Trivia:
I got as far as Tony Richardson and John Osborne but for some reason I could not go any further. I was having a real crappy day on Sunday which may explain why the brain cells weren't at its cognitive peak.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 06:51:48 AM »

Really haven't had that special July 4th yet, but three couples I know all got together of July 4th.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 07:00:27 AM »

Never stop dreaming.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 07:05:04 AM »

Happy July 4 to all who celebrate!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2006, 07:17:47 AM »

Good morning!

Hot, humid, miserable. The usual July story in the South.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2006, 07:22:36 AM »

Most memorable 4th of July was when I was young and single and hanging around with a group of gay couples and singles who gathered each weekend and on holidays at a beautiful lake home on Lake Wylie. There were day-long cookouts and there was dancing, drinking, performing to music (many were theater folk), and around 8:30, we'd pile in some boats and go out to the middle of the lake where the local officials would have a fireworks display that was pretty awesome.

Oh, those were grand times.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2006, 07:25:24 AM »

I still haven't chosen what I'm going to watch today. I'm not in the mood for YANKEE DOODLE DANDY, and I just rewatched `1776' a few weeks ago, so I'm not ready to return to it now.

I'm thinking I might pick a Western like STAGECOACH for one of my films today.

And I know I have TOM THUMB and THE 5,000 FINGERS OF DR. T on the DVR recorded off TCM this morning. I haven't seen either in a long, long time.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2006, 08:00:05 AM »

Happy Birthday, USA!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2006, 08:00:46 AM »

Well it is raining today.  But I think TODAY will be the BEST July 4th for me ever.

We don't open until NEXT week, so DEATH BY CHOCOLATE is taking the day off!!!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2006, 08:02:13 AM »

Happy 4th everyone!!

Was jsut dropping by to say Hello and perhaps a bit of msichief....

Most favorite 4th celebration was the time I spent it with my freind Sandi and her brother. We had a blast at Pelican Lake in Minnesota.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2006, 08:04:51 AM »

Last night was marked as a "technical rehearsal".  Last week, my assistant director and her husband said they would like July 3 off so they could go to Paramount's (not anymore) King's Island with their kids.  I said okay.

Mr. Assistant Director is playing the first murder victim and also running the sound board.  I went early and set up the LIGHT board so that the man running the lights would have some temporary cues and we could give the actors some sort of continuity with lights/music/sound...and get some kind of timing on them.

Of course the LIGHT MAN never showed up, never emailed, never called.

So....do I run the sound with the boom box downstairs, where I can watch and take notes....do I do the lights UPSTAIRS...cues run together of course.

We did without the sound....which I had run Friday evening.  It was not a BAD rehearsal.  Just a bit of a wasted one.   GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I sent the LIGHT MAN an email and told him he MUST attend every other rehearsal and if he missed one, he would be replaced!  I also CC'd the director of SEUSSICAL since he has volunteered to run the sound board for THAT show.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2006, 08:06:17 AM »

But other than that, I had a good evening.

Oh....bought a cover for the ugly love seat and made an important discovery:

I do not know how to put on a furniture cover.  It is now resting somewhat on top of the loveseat, with the instructions nearby.  Hopefully someone with skills will stop by and say:  "Oh, I know how to do that."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2006, 08:07:49 AM »

Not time for a dance yet....but I feel like it.  ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2006, 08:35:42 AM »

LOL! That Laurel and Hardy dance is priceless! Thanks for it!

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2006, 08:37:52 AM »

I haven't bought any of the Laurel and Hardy sets on DVD, speaking of them. I'm not sure any of them feature their best work.

So, the only L&H I have in my video collection is BABES IN TOYLAND (aka MARCH OF THE WOODEN SOLDIERS) and their skit in HOLLYWOOD REVUE OF 1929.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2006, 08:38:56 AM »

Now, I'm headed down to get started on lunch.

WBBL.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2006, 08:45:26 AM »

JRand, thanks for the smile!

It's overcast and drizzley here, with sun breaks. I'm feeling sort of melancholy and arthritic... I remember WAY back to childhood, with my dad and his brother setting fire to store-bought fireworks in the backyard, and sparklers and those "worms" - sort of little plugs of something that you lit and watched as they seemed to grow, and they left a black residue on the pavement... and one year we all went to the LA Coliseum (jeez, how do you spell that?) and watched the fireworks, and the guy on the loudspeaker told certain sections to light a match, and it was so amazing to a little kid how a mass of bleachers turned into a starlit sky...

So the people next door continue to have the houseguests and tent guests and I took some of the visiting children blueberry picking yesterday - it's about 10 days early this year, for some reason... I do love picking berries. And if I take children with me, it becomes even more wondrous through their eyes.
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2006, 08:46:59 AM »

May all DR's have a happy 4th!
PennyO
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up