Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A ROOM WITH A VIEW  (Read 33244 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A ROOM WITH A VIEW
« on: December 11, 2003, 12:03:14 AM »

Well, you've had a view of the notes so you know what to do.   I need lots of lovely posts to read for my mental delectation, because otherwise I shall go mad.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 12:02:54 AM by bk »

Ron Pulliam

Re:A ROOM WITH A VIEW
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 12:21:36 AM »

I can't believe I'm still up.  I had a rather productive evening, but first:

Mr. Pogue:  Your reply was very instructive!  You are correct, of course.  I definitely remember having to have a thick hide even in amateur theater, so the pros can only be tougher.  MTM probably should have given him the finger and kept on going.

We have our annual Christmas potluck at work on Friday, so I spent this evening preparing one of the two dishes I signed up to bring.  I said I'd bring a dessert and vegetable dish.  My dessert was made tonight and it turned out great -- it's a Walnut-Pumpkin Cheesecake!  I'll make the vegetable dish tomorrow night -- a green bean casserole.  I'm doubling the recipe.  And what do you think I discovered at the grocery store tonight?  French's makes Cheddar Cheese Onion Rings now!  Is that great or WHAT?!  So I'm using the cheddar ones in my recipe. (And there's a Cheddar Mashed Potatoes recipe on the can that MUST be tried).

DR Tom From Oz and friends were taking a journey tonight that I've enjoyed twice in the past 10 days -- a viewing of "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers", Special Extended Edition.  Tonight, I took a different journey.  I received from Amazon.com the collector's edition of the CD soundtrack to "Return of the King."  What's special about this one is that there is an accompanying DVD featuring a supertrailer for ROTK, plus a look at composer Howard Shore working at Abbey Road with his musicians and Peter Jackson while scoring the new film.  It's a treat!  And something I hope gets done for other soundtracks in the future.  The music is magnificent and poignant.  There are a lot of featured soloists -- James Galway, Renee Fleming, boy soprano Ben del Maestro and a choral group that lends all that wonderful magic to the scores from this exceptional film trilogy.  And then there is the superb London Philharmonic Orchestra.

Now, as for what my Christmas wish is:

My Christmas wish is that everyone gets what THEY wish for this Christmas, just as long as it's fair gain (i.e. doesn't deprive someone else of something they earned/deserved more).

As for my personal desires, I've taken care of most of them -- I'm going home again, I've gotten myself the collector's edition of "The Two Towers" and I have "Return of the King" soundtrack on CD.  Plus, my OBC of "Wicked" will be mailed to me in South Carolina just as soon as it's released so I can enjoy it while I'm back east.

I love being good to myself!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2003, 10:08:06 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Michael

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003, 03:14:48 AM »

To tell you the truth there is nothing I really want this year. I have been out looking for gifts for friends and family and that gives me more pleasure than receiving.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 03:16:24 AM »

I also meant to ask a question for DR Noel yeasterday. I was wondering who is your standby/understudy and has he gone on for you yet in your musical?
Never stop dreaming.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 05:57:50 AM »

Dear esteemed, Christmassy, view-enhanced, and suave BK --

As for the QOTD ........I know that this isn't the answer that anyone wants to read, but as DR Kerry and I both have our health and as a bonus Sugar has joined our family, there really isn't anything else that I want.

I hold a strong wish that all of the fine people who are so far away overseas, could very soon be back home safely and with their loved ones.

Jennifer

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003, 05:58:46 AM »

Wow, only 4 posts :(

Good morning all.

BK, I am so excited for you to get to the end of season 2 of Alias. You must tell us when you get to the finale.

I will answer the Christmas questions later.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003, 06:00:27 AM »

DR MattH --

Of course you are right.....all musicians just can't wait to sleep in bad hotel beds, and put up with repeated airport security delays.

And of course, we would never want to be paid for it --  it is just way too much fun !!

OY !!

Ben

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2003, 06:10:59 AM »

TFO wrote yesterday "I thought it was WEL and Ray. Is there something I should know?" Funny stuff Tom :-)

Charles, thanks for the theatre update. We will try to see some shows but we have a couple of side trips planned as well so we won't be able to see a lot. We will play it by ear, I think, but we will probably most likely see Chitty and one or two others.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2003, 06:20:34 AM »

Ben - The previous post ended with Hoo and Ray so that was Tom's response.  It took me a minute to get it too until I went back to the previous post.

What I want for Christmas is a little time... time to watch all the DVDs I've bought and haven' had a chance to watch; time to do things on the computer that I mean to do but never get around to because I spend so much computer time at HHW; time to "Stop and smell the evergreen".
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Emily

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2003, 06:21:05 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Good morning one and all![/move]

Today is the day!  Once I finish my Provincial Politics exam this afternoon I will only have two more left to write.   This is the halfway point... FINALLY! :D

A Rant about University Libraries:  

I wanted to take out a book that my professor had put on reserve and so I went up to the checkout desk told the clerk the name of the book, the author and the class yet she DEMANDED that I go back up to the main library to get her the call number.  Now this wouldn't have bugged me normally, but the thing is that she had her desktop open to the MUSE catalogue right in front of me - and when I asked if she could just look it up, she gave me a death stare.  There weren't even other people waiting in line!  It was just me and her staring away at one another...

I ended up getting the call number myself.  :(

On a happier note:

(sung like as if I am in cha-cha line): "I am going to WICK-ED!  I am going to WICK-ED!  Da da da da da DA!"  

A certain DR (who I will not name for anonymity's sake) knows someone who is Stephen Schwartz's personal assistant and arranged for me to reserve his house seats.  Sigh, they may be $100 US ($130 CDN) but it will be worth it.  Also, my dearest mama has already agreed that it will be my *big* Christmas gift (to make up for the fact that I didn't get anything from them for my birthday).  Now we must all convince Maya to pay up and come with meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! (I've given up on Andrea and my other travelling partner) :D  

Christmas Gifts:

I am the worst person to buy gifts for because I hardly ever let people surprise me.  I like making a list, checking it twice and then faxing it off to my family and friends.

So I think the best gift I could get would be one I didn't know about beforehand but which is of the same calibre of wonderfullness as the ones on my list.  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2003, 06:41:53 AM »

Bruce-

I am surprised at you. Hanukkah (chanukkah or however each person spells it) comes first this year and yet you immediately appeal to the faith to which is not your own. Oh there is indeed a higher purpose to warn me thus in time (oh, a teeny sweeney reference)

I'm not "looking" for anything in particular this year for the holidays and my impending birthday. I would like to wind up with an IPOD and a TV stand at the very least...

Diane

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2003, 07:05:33 AM »

Ick! Horrid day here in NY :P

Christmas List: (sorry! It's a bunch of stuff)

All my loved ones get what they want
Health
Love
Peace
Acting Jobs
A Sane Boyfreind

And an early request for next year: A new President ;)

I LOVE A Piano....

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2003, 07:19:06 AM »

Being single and of fairly independent means, I can and do reward myself with gifts throughout the year. Nevertheless, I am giving myself a treadmill this year for Christmas. I really do love to walk, but I don't really care much to walk alone. It makes the time go so much faster when there's someone to walk and talk with. Also, when it's really cold outside, I get lazy about having to bundle up to go walking, so the treadmill will get me walking the year round whether there's someone with me or not, and that can only be a good thing. Also, I'm weird I guess, but I can't stand to walk with a walkman blaring in my ears. I like to hear the natural sounds around me, but again, I'd rather share it with someone else when I'm walking. So, if I'm inside, I can listen to music WITHOUT a walkman while I'm walking on the treadmill.

Dream gift: I have a nice home theater set-up in my den. TV is big enough for the sized den I have. But if I had endless money or a Santa who was feeling generous, I'd love to turn my living room into a big home theater with theater seating, huge TV and tower speakers totally surrounding us. Maybe one of these days when my ship comes in I might make that dream come true (unless Santa beats me to it one of these years.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2003, 07:22:54 AM »

I'm going to have to postpone my review of STRICTLY BALLROOM. Stupid me programmed my digital recorder incorrectly and I missed recording it. Not only that, but it came on again yesterday late afternoon, and I missed that showing, too! It's repeating next week (twice on Tuesday afternoon), so I'll (hopefully) get it then, but I am feeling really stupid this morning having to admit this.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2003, 07:24:26 AM »

DR Ron, when you make your way back East, will you have a computer at your disposal? You're not going to be E & T for much of the month of December, are you?

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2003, 07:38:20 AM »

Diane -

Do you currently have an INSANE boyfriend you want to become sane, or do you lack a boyfriend and are requesting one who IS sane?

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2003, 07:39:46 AM »

BTW.. I have fallen in love everyone..  would you like to know more??

Diane

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2003, 07:48:16 AM »

Craig: I currently have a kinda/sorta/we are on a break ,in my life who I wish would become  sane.. But if he doesn't, I want some one who IS sane!

Your in love! Tell me more! Tell me more! ;D
I LOVE A Piano....

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2003, 07:59:35 AM »

What a nice time of year to fall in love. That's really terrific!

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2003, 08:07:21 AM »

Yes.. it's true. I have fallen in love - and you too can share in the love as well. I have fallen in love with...

Dark Chocolate KitKats, MINT KitKats and MINT Hershey's Kisses - all limited editions available this season....

YUM!!!

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2003, 08:08:01 AM »

Diane.. I'm relatively sane.. Tell me more about you LOL

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2003, 08:10:33 AM »

All candy and I have had a LIFELONG love affair that is still as intense and passionate as ever.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2003, 08:25:47 AM »

What I really want for Christmas is for my father to send the boxes he took with him to us.  Books, DVDs, CDs, this house is far too empty without everything we've collected!  

That, and I wouldn't mind a few things to hang on the walls.  We have the one quilt to hang at the end of the hall, but we need more MORE MORE!  (Yet another Sondheim reference, wouldn't you know.)  Of course, we do have the Hirshfeld lithograph of television stars of the '60s, originally drawn for TVLand, that der Brucer bought at a silent auction, but that still needs framing.  (It has something like seven Ninas!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Diane

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2003, 08:30:14 AM »

Craig: I love Dark Chocolate Kit Kats! Last year I bought a whole bunch and froze them for the times when they wouldn't be so readily available, hehehe
So..What would you like to know? ;)
I LOVE A Piano....

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2003, 08:33:19 AM »

On my wish list:

World peace
The end of hunger
Equal rights for all

This year I'll add:  a nice job that pays fairly that I can really sink my teeth into and enjoy.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Emily

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2003, 08:34:06 AM »

I feel like my HUSBAND is being seriously unfaithful of late... ;)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2003, 08:39:33 AM »

Emily..

Proposals do not a husband make... :)

Diane -
I want to know anything and everything you wish to share with me...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2003, 08:41:47 AM »

I also meant to ask a question for DR Noel yeasterday. I was wondering who is your standby/understudy and has he gone on for you yet in your musical?

ROTFLMAO
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Emily

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2003, 08:45:03 AM »

okay... okay...

My FIANCÉE is cheating on me!  Oh woe is me!  Woe!  Woe!  Woe! ;)

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2003, 08:46:33 AM »

Wow, lots of folks are errant and truant today.

I can't believe there have been only 28 posts since I made the first one this morning shortly after midnight!

DR MattH:  I'll be reading some from my mother's computer, but I may not be posting.  I don't know what, if any, limits she has to her number of daily posts, time online, etc.  I certainly don't want to be rude and spend as much time online there as I do at home!

:)

But, essentially, from Dec. 18 through Dec. 30, I'll be scarce. I'll be few and far between.  I'll be a fig newton of your imagination!

But I'll be having a wonderful time!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2003, 08:47:54 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up