Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: LIFE IS A CABARET  (Read 67306 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:LIFE IS A CABARET
« Reply #150 on: July 14, 2006, 08:18:05 PM »

I liked THE BROADWAY ALBUM, too. Not every cut, no, but about 80% of it was wonderfully sung. I prefeer early Barbra, too, but this is about the only thing she's done in the last 15 years that I liked at all. I really thought BACK TO BROADWAY was atrocious.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #151 on: July 14, 2006, 08:21:07 PM »

Page Six "Mowgli with a mouthful" Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #152 on: July 14, 2006, 08:22:08 PM »

MONK was silly but it did have a mystery that fooled me. I had someone else entirely selected as the murderer.

Matt H.

« Reply #153 on: July 14, 2006, 08:23:53 PM »

PSYCH was fun tonight, and I was so pleased to see Dule Hill being more helpful and supportive than he was in the pilot. The two guys are getting to be more of a team which is what will make the show click, I think.

What do you want to bet that female cop he flirted with early in the show will end up being his love interest in the weeks to come?

Matt H.

« Reply #154 on: July 14, 2006, 08:27:53 PM »

But the big news of the evening was THE BLACK SWAN. Fox has done a superlative job on this feature. The transfer is blemish-free (I truly didn't spot any dirt, scratches, or damage), and the Technicolor is wonderfully saturated and pleasing. Apart from the Ultra-resolution Warner transfers, this is about the best Technicolor transfer I've seen, and certainly one of the best that Fox has issued.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #155 on: July 14, 2006, 08:32:09 PM »

I haven't had a serial killer, but I have had murder cases and have defended a lot of child sex cases.  It isn't as hard as you would think. You see,  I really believe that you have to make sure the most despised in our society do not have their constitutional rights trampled on and that includes the right to a zealous defense.  Once you say "Oh but he's a really bad guy he shot people, he shouldn't have any rights - he did it - shoot him now and save the tax payers money"  it's not a very big step to no one having rights.  (Not that we have a lot right now anyway, but it's still slightly more than a quaint notion).  

Plus, I believe that innocent people are convicted the most often in emotionally charged cases. Someone has to pay for the horrendous crime and people are often quick to say the police are right.  The emotionally charged cases are the easiest for the police to cut corners.   They have a lot of pressure to solve the case as fast as possible. Sometimes the "i"s aren't dotted and the "t"s aren't crossed, but they say they have their man and everyone is happy.  

Do you remember the murder of the Buddhist monks in Phoenix years ago? They arrested a bunch of kids, questioned them for something like 36 hours straight and finally got them to confess. The only physical evidence they had was a cheap buddha at one of their houses.  Well, it wasn't long until they found out the kids had nothing to do with it and they had to release them. They had the real culprits, but the case was undoubtedly a mess...I believe it was due to the pressure to solve it VERY fast. So not only did they possibly ruin the innocent kids' lives (which could have led to the death penalty) but possibly made it harder to prove the case against the real killer. In many cases like that the real killer gets away to kill another day

Enough....I'm climbing off the soapbox. You caught me on a day when I'm liking being a defense lawyer   ;D

I remember that case- it was discussed in a class I took as an undergrad with Richard Ofshe.  Once they realized they had the wrong men, didn't they spend some time trying to create a connection between the innocent kids and the actual killers?  That class was great- our professor travelled around the country serving as an expert witness testifying about police interrogation techniques and false confessions to crimes.  The biggest thing I learned was that if I'm ever questioned by the police for ANY reason at all, don't say a thing except to ask for legal representation!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #156 on: July 14, 2006, 08:36:47 PM »

Well, I guess I'm off to Anatevka with my new friend, the accordion.  Have a great night!  Oh - and the Tevye in the show is Jamie Torcellini, I'm going to see if he'll sign my Man of La Mancha CD.  It's not my favorite recording as I'm SO not a Stokes fan, but it least it will be fun to keep now!!  Cheers!

Hey I know who he is- I saw him in Me and My Girl years ago at a regional theater in San Jose.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #157 on: July 14, 2006, 08:39:04 PM »

So when I walked out of the theater tonight after suffering through the movie, who was stading out front but DR Jose!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #158 on: July 14, 2006, 08:40:17 PM »

My friend and I did not enjoy the movie nearly as much as we enjoyed the pre-film margaritas from Trailer Park.

Cillaliz

« Reply #159 on: July 14, 2006, 08:45:37 PM »

I remember that case- it was discussed in a class I took as an undergrad with Richard Ofshe.  Once they realized they had the wrong men, didn't they spend some time trying to create a connection between the innocent kids and the actual killers?  That class was great- our professor travelled around the country serving as an expert witness testifying about police interrogation techniques and false confessions to crimes.  The biggest thing I learned was that if I'm ever questioned by the police for ANY reason at all, don't say a thing except to ask for legal representation!

Yes, they tried to cover their tracks, but the "real" guys had all the evidence and didn't know anything about the kids the originally charges.  

You had Richard Ofshe as a professor? That is so cool. I've seen him speak a number of times. He is THE expert on false confessions.  

Matt H.

« Reply #160 on: July 14, 2006, 08:49:22 PM »

I'm going to head downstairs to bed now.

Good night!

Cillaliz

« Reply #161 on: July 14, 2006, 08:51:48 PM »

Good night, Matt

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #162 on: July 14, 2006, 09:37:35 PM »

Soon I shall leave to meet some friends for dinner and a movie.  We are going to see A Scanner Darkly.  

I still have yet to see any of the big summer blockbusters: Superman, XMen, or Pirates.  Maybe I'll catch some this weekend.

I went to see SUPERMAN RETURNS tonight.  Overall, I found it pretty unsatisfying.  And Kate Bosworth is no Lois Lane, IMHO.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: July 14, 2006, 10:49:56 PM »

Man, is this a slow news day or what?  Perhaps dear reader PennyO will report on today's songs and tonight's show.  I'll certainly have plenty to say about the latter, but first I must go out and get some food (I've only had a small piece of pizza today).  The notes may be a bit late, so maybe we can get a frenzy or three going.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #164 on: July 14, 2006, 10:52:47 PM »

Well, whatta day! WAY too hot for me out here in The Valley - but I shlepped my sorry ass over to BK's place - parked on the freeway, no air conditioning, just broiled alive in that tin can - to sit in blissful air-conditioned splendor, and listen to two lovely songs. I started bitching right away, after the first song, that Jolie S gets all the good songs --- when, whammo! Bruce started playing My song. Oh, my goodness! Most wonderful of all songs! Wait'll you hear!

And later I trundled me off to LACC to the concert by Susan Egan - EGAD! it was just great. i was so glad I went - what a wonderful time I had. Place was packed, I tell ya. packed! So it was a real success, the room looked great, fun to sit at t he tables, sharing space and chocolate covered strawberries with complete strangers. And I met up with an old drama teacher, whom I haven't seen in perhaps 36 or 37 years - he looks exactly the same, and appeared to know who the hell I was. Lots of fun was had by all. More about it tomorrow. Night, kidz.
PennyO

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #165 on: July 14, 2006, 11:00:57 PM »

I ahev been tryingto catch up after being e & T for so long.  The new jobis very longhours just at the moent as I learn all their  computer systems and helping to catch up on the three week back up left by my predecessor.  The people are very lovely and despite 11 hour days with no lunch hour, and a faulty A/C that has us opening the windows and turning on fans and kicking off shoes... I am very happy there.

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #166 on: July 14, 2006, 11:04:01 PM »

Tonight I actually got out of work at 5:45  and was home by 6:30 .  Since  Vixdad had plans to be out tonight the Vixter and her dear friend Emily and I went to see Pirates....

Is it a bad thing to have a crush on the same person as your 13  year old daughter?

(In my defense he is actually in MY age group....!)

vixmom

« Reply #167 on: July 14, 2006, 11:06:57 PM »

Well from what I have sesen so far it looks as if congratulations and  crossed fingers are in order for DR Jose

Health Vibes for Danise and her Mom, DakotaCelt's Dad, Elmore's Dad, Elmores' hip  and MattH's "flutter"

vixmom

« Reply #168 on: July 14, 2006, 11:27:31 PM »

I got an email about the Fantasticks limited run.  I bought matinee tickets for Sunday August 20.

Anybody going to be around that day?

vixmom

« Reply #169 on: July 14, 2006, 11:29:10 PM »

I haven;t seen the post on what happened to MBarnum and his car but I surmised from his "I Hate Geico" post that he's had a crash.

I hope no injuries to you Mike and I hope things are settled to your satisfaction.

vixmom

« Reply #170 on: July 14, 2006, 11:29:44 PM »

I missed Cillaliz's birthday!!

Belated Birthday Wishes!!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #171 on: July 14, 2006, 11:34:12 PM »

Heard from Matt Ashford who won't be doing the Hollywood Collector's Show on Sunday - family emergency.

Bummer, I hope all is well...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #172 on: July 14, 2006, 11:52:41 PM »

Good Luck with the Cabaret series...

Way to go Jose!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #173 on: July 14, 2006, 11:58:20 PM »

Matthew, in regard to your question yesterday about Days...

I suspect that the hand is someone in Salem who knows of the wrongs and is trying to right them. I dont htink it is is Stephano or Tony.

AS of the middle of September I am done with Days.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #174 on: July 15, 2006, 12:00:24 AM »

Media check:

VHS: ARe you being served...

DVD Deceit

CD player: Kevin Spirtas, Usung Sondheim
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up