Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HEATHER ON THE HILL  (Read 63670 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE HEATHER ON THE HILL
« on: July 22, 2006, 12:55:10 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've read about the heather on the hill and the Heather on the stage, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're on the hill looking for Heather - if they can't find Heather on the hill, perhaps they'll find Harold on the hill.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 01:41:04 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE HEATHER ON THE HILL
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 12:55:32 AM »

And the word of the day is: SEERSUCKER!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 03:35:24 AM »

And the word of the day is: SEERSUCKER!
Them thar CREEK USERS sure got a laugh when Clem wore a SEERSUCKER robe for his baptism.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 03:35:50 AM »

Seersucker.....I used to have one of those suits.

I shall now go back and read yesterday's posts.

My friend Jan's memorial was very nice....well attended.  She work in the career guidance office at Rose Hulman Institute and was certainly well liked and well respected there.  

She was also one of the VERY FEW women to receive an Engineering Degree from Louisiana State University in the 1960's.  She always told the story of trying to find the Engineering Building her first day there, and being told she was mistaken, she must want some other building.  Finally she said she was looking for her brother, and was immediately directed to the department.

Most of her professors told her she would never graduate, would never receive her degree, and why did she want to be an engineer?  She did receive her Masters and spent several years working on many projects before settling in at Rose Hulman.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 03:36:19 AM »

Off to sign a song (not SING) at a wedding and then the closing night performance of DEATH BY CHOCOLATE!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 03:37:01 AM »

Sounds like the Cabaret was a great Success AGAIN!!

Ms MacRae's recording of EASY TO BE HARD is spectacular and unmatched!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 03:40:48 AM »

It is raining right now, right here in Rehoboth Beach, DE.

We have had ourselves some thunder and some lightning, too, through the night.

This could dampen things if it keeps up through the day, because der Brucer and I are scheduled to attend a pool party this evening.

(Actually, it's an "everyone stands around the pool with a glass in one hand and gesturing with the other while talking with friends" party.  A friend of ours, Bob (spelled boB backwards), holds this get-together every year for the DC Log Cabin chapter and anyone else who wants to show up.  It'll be good to see Bob again, and his daschund, Beau.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 03:44:42 AM »

For what is it to die but to stand naked in the wind and to melt into the sun?

And what is it to cease breathing but to free the breath from its restless tides, that it may rise and expand and seek God unencumbered?

Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing.

And when you have reached the mountaintop, then you shall begin to climb.

And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance.

Khalil Gibran - "The Prophet"  :'(

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 03:50:22 AM »

The obvious "they did a great job transferring that book to the screen" movie is To Kill a Mockingbird, of course.

Jackson did a very grand job transferring The Lord of the Rings to film.  Of course, he had three films to do it in, too.

The not-so-good transfer that sticks in my craw is Goldman's The Princess Bride, particularly since Goldman himself wrote the screenplay.  Try as they might, the film lacks the magic of the printed page, and just lays there like so many giant rodents.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 04:02:19 AM »

Time to go to work.

And time to get der Brucer up, to drive me in this time, because I don't want to get my seersucker whatever wet, which it would get if I walked to work today.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 06:05:56 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up...

And that's the report for now.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 06:06:18 AM »

Good morning all, yes, Rodzinski, I think Callie and Boo will make it.  I finally just treated them like teenagers and told them they couldn't see each other and didn't make any attempt to let them see each other for several days, AND I stopped them from trying to see each other.   I was hoping that , like teenagers, that would mean they HAVE to be together.  It didn't go that far, but yesterday went well and I'll let Boo out again later this morning and see how it goes today.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 06:07:35 AM »

Actually, I have rehearsal in a few hours, but I want to have a decent breakfast before I head down to the Village.  So...  off to the kitchen I go...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 06:12:30 AM »

Today is the beginning of RAGBRAI (The Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa)  where around 20,000 to 30,000 people on bicycles - many of them drunk, ride across Iowa and every little town along the way sells food, beer and the stopover towns have dances and all sorts of crazy galas to entertain what is often many times more people than live in the town.  For a large portion of the riders, they start drinkning at the Missouri river and don't stop until they reach the Mississippi 6 days later.  It's sort of like Mardi Gras on bicycles - there are costumes the whol business.  

It starts a few miles south of here, so I'm going down there tonight to take photos and hang out with a friend I haven't seen in ages who is going on the ride.  here's a link http://www.ragbrai.com/index.html
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 06:14:16 AM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006, 06:13:42 AM »

Lance Armstrong isn't doing the whole ride, he's going to start on day three, I think....so instead of the Tour de France it's the Tour de Iowa.  Just doesn't have the same ring to it. Of course this is not a race, it's a party

Cillaliz

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 06:14:49 AM »

Better go, I'm late for meeting Paul for breakfast....YIKES

Michael

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 06:55:29 AM »

There are least 4 versions of CABARET out there.

The Broadway Version, The Joel Grey Revival, The Wayne Sleep Revival and the recent Broadway Revival.

Are they all available. I would think that the authors would want the most recent one out there. The only thing I don't like about the recent revival is that Cliff doesn't have a song of his own. A new one was written for the Joel Grey Revival and the combined the two "Money" songs into one.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 06:57:40 AM »

A good trivia question today. I went off on one track  trying to find answer one question first. When that didn't pan out I went a different route and I think I got it.

They all fit, but there could be another show out there.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2006, 07:01:35 AM »

The Broadway Version, The Joel Grey Revival, The Wayne Sleep Revival and the recent Broadway Revival.

Are they all available. I would think that the authors would want the most recent one out there. The only thing I don't like about the recent revival is that Cliff doesn't have a song of his own. A new one was written for the Joel Grey Revival and the combined the two "Money" songs into one.

The Wayne Sleep version is not available.  The other three versions may all be rented from Tams-Witmark.

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2006, 07:03:56 AM »

From what I understand, all but the Wayne Sleep version is available for licensing right now.  However, everyone seems to be doing a combination of all three - mainly to add the movie songs - although I've heard that the licensing house hasn't been as "agreeable" to granting permission to interpolate other songs from other versions lately.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2006, 07:04:26 AM »

DR elmore- Great minds think alike!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2006, 07:04:57 AM »

Oh, and I'll call you, DR elmore, during my rehearsal break in regards to the movie this afternoon.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2006, 07:05:19 AM »

And speaking of rehearsal...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2006, 07:09:01 AM »

I slept very late:  I woke up around 5:30 with a fuzzy throat and I cannot tell if it's allergies or the onset of a cold.  I've started the laundry and I will begin heavy doses of Vitamin-C as asoon as I finish this post.

TOD:
  Good adaptations:
     TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
     GONE WITH THE WIND
     THE MALTESE FALCON (Bogart version)
     EMMA (Gwyneth Paltrow - although I prefer the BBC with Kate Beckinsale)
     ROSEMARY'S BABY

Bad, bad, bad:
     THE DAVINCI CODE
     PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (Olivier/Garson)

What about films that improved on the book?
     JAWS
     THE FIRM          
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2006, 07:13:13 AM »

I haven't a clue about today's trivia question.  Looks like a fun-filled weekend ahead.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2006, 07:16:33 AM »

Good morning!

It rained heavily during the night, but I slept through it completely. Didn't help the humidity at all. It's still desperately muggy outside. Supposed to be a little cooler today, however. We'll see.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Michael

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2006, 07:17:44 AM »

TOD:
  What about films that improved on the book?
     JAWS
     THE FIRM          

I'd like to add CARRIE to that list
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2006, 07:18:00 AM »

I had a very nice surprise this morning. Best friend John was out with his son this morning and brought me four Krispy Kreme doughnuts on his way back home.

Friends are the best possessions one can have.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2006, 07:19:55 AM »

I second all of DR Elmore's choices; I agree with every one of them.

I'll add to the best list:

ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN

An improvement on the book: THE GODFATHER

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2006, 07:23:35 AM »

I'd say VALLEY OF THE DOLLS, as much as I enjoy the film, is worse than the book, mainly because the book covers a much longer period which gives a shape to the careers of the three women, and being under long-term contract to a studio really wasn't happening much when VALLEY OF THE DOLLS was filmed as a present day (1967) film. Set in the 1940s, Neely and Jennifer being under long term studio contracts made a lot more sense.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up