Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: AUGUST AUGUST  (Read 18044 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:AUGUST AUGUST
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2006, 07:31:12 AM »

There was no reaction to the news that we're getting the remaining Johnny Weismeuller TARZAN movies on DVD this year. I know the RKO features were much more low budget than the MGM ventures, but in an odd way, I kind of prefer them. I haven't seen them in awhile, so maybe my memory of them is tainted by time, but I really liked them the best when I was seeing them on TV as a kid. Never saw any of those at the movies.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2006, 07:32:09 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]Page Two Dance!!![/size][/move]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 07:33:19 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2006, 07:34:58 AM »

I'm enjoying Scott Berg's book on Katharine Hepburn. In his research for his biography of Samuel Goldwyn, he also came into contact with folks like Irene Selznick who also figure into the Kate Hepburn story. It's really pretty fascinating seeing these people turn up in a story about Kate.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2006, 07:39:43 AM »

Good Morning! -Once again...

Well, my morning errand has been delayed until this afternoon... and possibly until tomorrow morning... So, for now...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2006, 07:41:35 AM »

...And my initial guesses/answers for the Unseemly Trivia Question - which I thought were pretty on track - in no way resembled the real answers.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2006, 08:07:50 AM »

Going back to my book now and then I'll start thinking about what I'm going to have for lunch.

WBBL.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2006, 08:08:52 AM »

And I don't know what's up with the mail delivery.

My Shirley Temple boxed set (with CAPTAIN JANUARY and others) shipped last Friday, and I expected it yesterday. Not only did it not come yesterday, it didn't come today either!

Boo!

MBarnum

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2006, 08:34:46 AM »

Those Tarzans will be nice MattH, but it is the Gordon Scott Tarzan films that will bring much joy to my life ;D  as they are my favorites!

In fact I will likely be ordering some grey market DVDs of them today (Shhhhhhhhh, don't tell).

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2006, 08:35:25 AM »

Good morning all.  It is already incredibly hot and I wish I could stay indoors but alas I have to go to work this afternoon.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2006, 08:54:17 AM »

fictional names:

Sir Denis Nayland Smith
Carson Napier
Alan Quatermain
Dr. Nikola
Sax Rohmer
Philo Vance
Beau Geste
Lamont Cranston
Titus Groan
Jules DeGrandin
Solomon Kane

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2006, 09:14:44 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Slept until nine - that was nice.  Shall now try to get some energy so I can jog, then do some errands, then rehearse.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2006, 09:41:34 AM »

Hiya, Kidz!

Well, what an adventure I have had! I flew to San Antonio last Thursday, after much delay and changing of gates and planes, and arrived well after midnight. Then, very early Friday morning hied me to the 911 Auto Shop - a bunch of goniffs - who, nevertheless HAD repaired the motorhome to the extent that I could get in it and drive it off the lot.

Said vehicle gets a whopping 8 miles to the gallon - or a quarter of a tank an hour. I made it to El Paso by 9:30, and slept quick in a Motel 6. Saturday the slipshod nature of the repair work became all too obvious when I heard a sharp BANG and the dials all went to RED, as I was 40 miles East of Phoenix. During the four hours I waited for the tow truck, I gazed in rapt bliss at the surrounding countryside, watched birds, collected and discarded many treasures at the side of the road. I found cleaning products under the sink in the motorhome, and cleaned the passenger side door. I watched a glorious sunset, watched the moon appear, watched stars materialize in a black sky. I wished on stars and talked to my mother.

The $250 towing bill somehow evaporated, once the driver got me to a seven-day-a-week repair shop, less than twenty minutes from my mother's cousin's house. I don't know what happened, but somehow, his dispatcher said it was all covered by AAA - which I know to be false - but I wasn't going to argue!

My cuz came and picked me up, and I spent the night at her beautiful house in Scottsdale. In the morning another cousin came over, and I read Tarot for both of them. Then back to the shop, to find out that a "new" belt and "new" hose had both quit; and that there were several items loose and banging around under the hood. Belt and hose replaced and loose stuff bolted down, I got on the road again at 3:30 - sucker ran MUCH better - and got to Simi Valley at 11:30.

I had a great time - and would do it again! I am a person who craves adventures, and this satisfied my appetite, I tell ya!
PennyO

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2006, 09:48:01 AM »

And John Galt.

WHO IS JOHN GALT?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2006, 10:14:05 AM »

OKAY. I GIVE UP!

Just HOW do you insert a photo in your message?

Enquiring minds (moi) want to know!!!

Aargh!
Donna
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 10:15:20 AM by Donna »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2006, 10:23:56 AM »

In you message is easy.  Don't use the quick reply - use "reply" at the end of any message.  When you get that form there will be an "add image" toward the bottom with a "browse" button.  Click on "browse" find the image on you computer and click on it - it will automatically appear in the box and then just click the reply button.

If it's to put your photo next to your name, to to edit profile at the top or bottom of any page.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2006, 10:31:23 AM »

Had a nice jog (it's still cool out), now must run to rehearsal with Kevin - it got moved from two to eleven.  So, I'll have to do my errands afterwards, and then I shall return.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2006, 10:31:44 AM »

TOD:

Holly Golightly
Hercule Poirot

...all that come to mind at the mo'...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2006, 10:32:52 AM »

Congratulations to DR Ginny on her Unseemly Trivia Contest win!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2006, 10:33:15 AM »

George, our resident tech expert can explain better perhaps, but I'll give it a try.

First of all, the picture should be on the hard drive on your computer, that makes it much easier. Figure out where the picture is (it can be anywhere on the hard drive, in My Documents, on the Desktop, etc.) because you need to know when you go to insert the picture.

Click the "reply" button at the top or bottom of the screen and you get to the Post Reply area with the Subject Line, Message Icon, Add YABBC tags, etc.

Near the bottom is:

Attach:

and there is a long field which ends with a grey box that says "Browse" Click on Browse and a new window will open. Remember where you have your picture, move to that area, find your picture and highlight it. Click Open and the "location" of the picture is inserted in the Attach field. Under the Attach field is more dialogue (Allowed file types: txt,jpg,gif
Maximum attachment size allowed: 200 KB)

At the bottom is Post Preview Reset Form. Don't click Preview or Reset Form. Just click Post (it may take a minute or two) and your post and photo should appear. One reason it may not appear is the size. If you're getting an error message about size then the photo has to be reduced. You need a photo editing program to do that. It tells you at the bottom of the screen that the maximum attachment size for a picture is 200 KB (or kilobytes). Anything bigger will generate an error message.

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 10:35:16 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2006, 10:34:22 AM »

Oops, Donna is gone. I took too long to try and explain. She may read it when she returns.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2006, 10:35:36 AM »

I am drinking a bottle of the brand spanking new Black Cherry/French Vanilla Diet Pepsi Jazz.  It pretty much tastes like Black Cherry/French Vanilla Diet Dr. Pepper.
-- Anaïs Nin

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2006, 10:46:29 AM »

Warning! Don't Inhale

On Tuesday, heat and humidity were expected to reach unsafe levels. New York City residents braced for blistering temperatures and officials warned that inhaling the city's heavy summer air could become dangerously difficult.

"It's going to be very difficult to breathe. The air is going to be very thick," said Nancy Figueroa, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2006, 11:08:27 AM »

Hamilton Burger

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2006, 11:09:59 AM »

For some reason, however, I was thinking that DR Jane wanted Historical fiction names...but I could be wrong...I have been before...once....but that time was really just someone elses fault.

Ginny

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2006, 11:33:25 AM »

Congratulations to DR Ginny on her Unseemly Trivia Contest win!

Thanks, DR Dan(the Man)!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2006, 12:55:57 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Yes, indeedy it's HOT!!!!![/b]
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2006, 01:03:03 PM »

It wasn't too bad when I left the apartment around 1:30, but as I was walking around midtown taking care of my errands, I could palpably feel the heat and humidity rise.  And by the time I boarded the A train back uptown at Columbus Circle... WHOA!  However, I found the air to be bearable if not exactly comfortable.

Thankfully, years of living in Richmond without an A/C taught me how to dress during high heat and humidity - light, light-colored clothing.  I was sort of amazed at some of the people walking around cursing the air...  I would be cursing too if I had decided to put on a pair of heavy jeans, a t-shirt, a team jersey AND a team jacket - WHAT?!?!?!  Yes, I know some people had to "dress up" today due to work, but there were too many others obviously choosing style/fad over comfort and sensibility.

*I also managed to miss the major heat-related delay on the trains that happened earlier.  Whew!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2006, 01:06:14 PM »

DR MBarnum - I think you might be interested in Playbill.com's latest Leading Men feature since it features Brian d'Arcy James.

THE LEADING MEN: James' Con

*There's also a nice pic of Mr. James as well as Scott Coulter who was in the reading of Dear Edwina last week.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2006, 01:10:33 PM »

DR PennyO - Glad to know you made it back safe and sound.  And those kind of adventures truly are worth the "unexpectedness".  Sometimes it's good to be thrown a curve or two now and again.  Keeps you on your toes.  Makes you look at things differently.  Confirms that you're alive!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2006, 01:11:05 PM »

Well, since I'm in the middle of a semi-frenzy, I might as well bring us to...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up