Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NON-STOP DAY  (Read 21858 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE NON-STOP DAY
« on: August 02, 2006, 12:11:19 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were non-stop, and now it is time for you to post until the non-stop cows come home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 12:25:22 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE NON-STOP DAY
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 12:12:44 AM »

And the word of the day is: RUFESCENT!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 12:15:35 AM »

Dear BK,

I hope you have reserved a special table for DRs Sandra, Kerry, MusicGuy and me for both Thursday and Friday.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 04:42:40 AM »

Hi Folks!

First of all - Thanks to BK and Ben for how to insert an image in my message. When it worked, I felt like it was Christmas in August! Hooray!

I'd just like to encourage any of you who can to come and see LINDA PURL on Aug. 5 at LACC. Believe me, she is no dabbler in the vocal department. She started singing in shows when she was young and living in Japan with her family and has kept it up for 20 years. Treat yourself and go see her!

Donna - Cabaret West

P. S. Below (I am VERY happy to say) is her photo.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 04:57:55 AM by Donna »

Ben

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 05:41:33 AM »

Hooray for Donna. Glad to see the picture and that the instructions helped.

It's supposed to be another extremely hot day. When I left the apartment at 6:30 it was already 83 degrees and muggy. I'm in the office which is where I'll stay until lunchtime. We keep the curtains closed in the living room during the day and it helps keep that room a little cooler. Southern exposure with all that sunlight is great until the temperature climbs up to unliveable. We are tough old birds. We don't turn on the AC until the evening when we go to bed (it's only in one room). But enough of our travails. I need to return to work. Kellogg is calling and I don't mean the cereal.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 05:55:19 AM »

Kellogg would make a good cat name.

I have dibs on it!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 05:55:57 AM »

Morning, DRs Elmore and Ben!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 05:58:36 AM »

Good morning, all!  Has New York had a blackout yet?  It's quite warm here, but the ceiling fans in my brother's home make for easy sleeping.  I've had my coffee, and I will now head to the post office to send a package to my publisher, then hit the ICU to see what's going on with my dad.  I just had a lovrely telephonic conversation with his lady friend Lucille, who is quite a good woman.  I once thought poorly of her, but I've come to learn she's been much maligned by my evil sister-in-law Lady Macbeth, who continues to stir tempests in little teapots.  The resonance of the infamous July 5 confrontations hangs over all my dad's health issues and it will be more unpleasant, I'm sure, in the next week.

I proved last visit that I am no good at manipulating this PC's keyboard into doing the tricks I'd like, so I can't send David the colorful vibes I would prefer.  However . . .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Vibes to David for continued good health!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 05:58:43 AM »

Morning Dan. Glad to see you survived your big project and are back among the living.

Overtime starts for me on Saturday so I will be in the office with HHW just a flick away when I need a break. I will probably post more on Saturdays than I usually do.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 05:59:29 AM »

Oh, and Good Morning to Larry!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 06:03:48 AM »

I actually have a question for BK:

What is the worst casting blunder that spoiled what otherwise would have been a good film (or play or musical?)
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 06:11:12 AM »

Morning Dan. Glad to see you survived your big project and are back among the living.

Overtime starts for me on Saturday so I will be in the office with HHW just a flick away when I need a break. I will probably post more on Saturdays than I usually do.

THanks, Ben.  Not yet completely survived my project yet, but we've been granted a week's extension for testing, so I have a little breathing room.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 06:20:35 AM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  Last night's overnight low temp was 72 - I'd be happy if it never got any hotter than that!  The heat is supposed to break here tonight or tomorrow - none too soon.

Sure wish I could attend one (or all) of the LACC cabaret events!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 06:21:32 AM »

He's baaaaack!!!!  I went out to start the car and it's totally dead.  This means I've managed to leave something on for the past 17 hours to drain the battery.  I'm naturally puzzled since I had not one problem with this car on my last visit, but my brother Randy is on his way now to help me out.  Do I feel dumb?  Duh!

Worst casting in a film musical:  
  Rosalind Russell in GYPSY
  Judy Garland in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN
  That lady who plays Carrie in CAROUSEL
  Everyone in Matthew Broderick's THE MUSIC MAN

Speaking of CAROUSEL, I hear there's a new film in the works for Hugh Jackman; it can only be an improvement.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 06:31:30 AM »

He's baaaaack!!!!  I went out to start the car and it's totally dead.  This means I've managed to leave something on for the past 17 hours to drain the battery.  I'm naturally puzzled since I had not one problem with this car on my last visit, but my brother Randy is on his way now to help me out.  Do I feel dumb?  Duh!

Worst casting in a film musical:  
  Rosalind Russell in GYPSY
  Judy Garland in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN
  That lady who plays Carrie in CAROUSEL
  Everyone in Matthew Broderick's THE MUSIC MAN

Speaking of CAROUSEL, I hear there's a new film in the works for Hugh Jackman; it can only be an improvement.

DR Elmore - Richard is around home most of the time, if you get stranded someplace.  I'll PM you his cell phone number.

I agree with you about The Music Man, except for Middletown-native Debra Monk as Mrs. Paroo.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 07:08:19 AM »

Good Morning!

Just stepped outside for a bit to see how bad it was... And it's bad.  Right now, at 10:00am, it feels like it did at 2:00pm yesterday.  Ah, well...  Just one more day of this treacherous heat and humidity, and we're supposed to cool down a bit.  Of course, I'm heading down to DC tonight, and since the jet stream will not be dipping down that low, the higher temps will be "staying" with me for another day or so.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 07:10:35 AM »

DR elmore - Is it hot out there in Ohio too?  If so, the high heat can actually "drain" a car battery.  I've been through that scenario.  Twice.  If the car battery is old, then the heat might be the culprit.  If it looks like the battery is swelling, that's one sure sign it's on or past its last legs.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 07:10:58 AM »

Well, I need to get ready for my 11:00 meeting...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2006, 07:24:23 AM »

I liked Roz as Rose....she was plenty scary to a 12 year old watching it on the B I G screen.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2006, 07:25:42 AM »

Great picture of CURTAINS from DR CILLA LIZ!

Vibes to DR ELMORE's father and friend of BK - David W.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 07:28:36 AM »

Maybe something exciting will come in the mail today.

We had NO black actors at our auditions for TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD and two people (Caucasian) including an official of the local chapter of the NAACP have told us that the play is racist and not politically correct and will not support us in its production and indeed will picket against it.  These are the same two women who walked into a local bookstore and demanded that it be removed from the shelf.  It wasn't.

BUT we can't do the show without at least four black actors.

So - who knows what will happen.  I may be seeing you on the news!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 07:29:13 AM »

I actually have a question for BK:

What is the worst casting blunder that spoiled what otherwise would have been a good film (or play or musical?)
You mean, other than Lucille Ball as Mame?

::)

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2006, 07:32:05 AM »

You mean, other than Lucille Ball as Mame?

Angela Lansbury, in her interview last night, made it very clear that she would concur with you, DR SWW!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2006, 07:35:07 AM »

And the word of the day is: RUFESCENT!
On a neighbor's picket FENCE, RUST drizzles down from the old iron nails, while below some CUTE FERNS are RUFESCENT with their seeds along the leaves.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2006, 07:36:23 AM »

That interview is what brought the film to mind, DR Ginny!  (Der Brucer and I watched it while noshing on pizza.)

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2006, 07:47:38 AM »

I simply cannot seem to wake up this morning, despite 3 cups of coffee....I may need to rethink this coming into work at 6:30 am business.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2006, 08:04:23 AM »

In response to DR Jose's request:

After proper spatchcocking, the duck au crapaudine was drizzled with honey and left to dry, it would be apian cured.

Happy now?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2006, 08:05:24 AM »

Good morning!

It's stifling here, too. Just to step outside in this heat and HEAVY air making breathing almost impossible. I do not know how construction workers can work in this weather.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2006, 08:08:41 AM »

Isn't it ironic that Frank Sinatra wanted Lucille Ball for Mrs. Isler in THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, but John Frankenheimer got his way and cast Angela. 12 years later, Lucy got the part that Angela deserved to play. (Of course, Angela deserved Mrs. Isler, too.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

FJL

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2006, 08:10:07 AM »

Interesting tidbit about the Festival of New Musicals in Issaquah, where the musical of Last Starfighter will be presented on Friday, 8/4.  The title role in the 1984 film was played by Lance Guest, and it turns out that the very same Lance Guest will be appearing at the very same Festival of New Musicals in a show called Million Dollar Quartet, on Sun. 8/6.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up