Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NON-STOP DAY  (Read 21855 times)

FJL

Re:THE NON-STOP DAY
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2006, 08:11:39 AM »

Health vibes to Elmore's dad and to Mr. Wechter.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2006, 08:14:22 AM »

I didn't see Merman in GYPSY on stage, and perhaps if I had, I wouldn't be able to see Rosalind Russell as Rose. But since Roz was my first-seen Rose, she left an indelible impression with me. I thought she was sensational, and with the movies able to dub her voice convincingly (at least, I thought it was convincing when I saw it the first time; I had no idea Roz's singing voice was mostly Lisa Kirk), I still admire her performance.

And though no one would have ever thought in 1962 that Angela Lansbury could be Rose, isn't it funny that she was the right age then (37) to play it, and we know how they could have aged her well as the story progressed to make her convincing throughout.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2006, 08:18:11 AM »

With absolutely nothing of interest for me on TV tonight, I'll be combing the DVD stacks for things to watch later today. I have some things on the DVR recorded over the last few days, and I'll probably watch them first so they can be deleted.

I'm thinking maybe BILLY ELLIOTT on DVD for tonight, but that's just tentative at the moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2006, 08:21:55 AM »

I think Shirley MacLaine was miscast in CAN-CAN (wonder if Leslie Caron was even considered), but then, I'm not crazy about Frank Sinatra in the film either.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2006, 08:44:27 AM »

I actually have a question for BK:

What is the worst casting blunder that spoiled what otherwise would have been a good film (or play or musical?)

So many.  Agree about Broderick in The Music Man (and I'd add Kristin, as well).  Interestingly, while Lucy as Mrs. Isler would not have been Angela, I do think it would have been fascinating to see that performance.  I know this will sound like heresy, but I don't think Audrey Hepburn was right or good as Eliza Doolittle and her performance has always hurt that film for me, as lovely as she is to watch.  Roger Moore as James Bond - I simply cannot watch any of those films.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2006, 08:45:53 AM »

The big question is will I jog before rehearsal or later this afternoon.  I really prefer the mornings, but I'm really groggy, and I'd have to get going no later than nine.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2006, 08:46:57 AM »

I was going to write about Audrey's miscasting in MY FAIR LADY. Ai agree with you even though I enjoy watching the film. (But then, I have a copy of LUCY/MAME on laserdisc that I'll watch from time to time, too).

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2006, 08:49:12 AM »

I remember there was a real shock throughout the movie world when Bonnie Bedelia wasn't Oscar-nominated for HEART LIKE A WHEEL. She did win some other Best Actress awards that year, I believe.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2006, 08:50:12 AM »

Having lunch with friends today, so I'm going to clean up a bit before they arrive.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2006, 09:49:25 AM »

Jogged and shall now be on my way to rehearsal and then to LACC.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2006, 09:53:41 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Back from a lovely lunch and visit with my friend, Chris.  He's a true optimist and just such a great guy to boot. Of course, he's taken - and been "taken" for a good number of years already.  But I won't hold that against him.  ;)

He and his partner are expecting their first child in a few weeks - they have a surrogate mother birthing their son.  -Is that the correct wording for that?  In any case... I am sooooo happy for them.  And they're both being very adorable expectant fathers right now.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2006, 10:00:46 AM »

One should NEVER be tentative about "Billy Elliot"....it's wonderful.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2006, 10:01:23 AM »

The entire movie of "Can-Can" was mis-EVERYTHING!

A complete and total misfire on all levels, IMO.

The soundtrack album is nice, though.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2006, 10:07:46 AM »

Oohh.. Just received word about this from a friend...

AOL just announced that they are dropping charges for AOL subscribers who connect to them via broadband (cable, dsl).

If you connect to aol thru broadband, you can call to drop your monthly charges! I just did it! Call asap because they expect a crush of calls.

1-800-984-6207

Note that you won't be able to use dialup or use their live support.

Here's the Washington Post article if you don't believe me.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/02/AR2006080200360.html

« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 10:19:39 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2006, 10:09:32 AM »

OHH!!!

Arena Stage has switched out their Christmas show this season, and they will now be doing She Loves Me... Which I LOVE!!!  So.... Decisions, decisions...
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2006, 10:50:07 AM »

I agree with you about The Music Man, except for Middletown-native Debra Monk as Mrs. Paroo.

Debra Monk is in the bottom photo as Carmen Bernstein- these are the Playbill photos I referred to yesterday

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2006, 11:17:19 AM »

Interesting tidbit about the Festival of New Musicals in Issaquah, where the musical of Last Starfighter will be presented on Friday, 8/4.  The title role in the 1984 film was played by Lance Guest, and it turns out that the very same Lance Guest will be appearing at the very same Festival of New Musicals in a show called Million Dollar Quartet, on Sun. 8/6.

How very cool!  He was such a cutie in that movie.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2006, 11:27:55 AM »

Oohh.. Just received word about this from a friend...

Forgive me for being technically challenged (careful, Ron), but for a customer that pays AOL for broadband and as my server; does this mean any savings for me?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2006, 11:30:25 AM »

T.O.D.

The entire cast of LOST HORIZON -- the musical.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2006, 11:56:39 AM »

We had NO black actors at our auditions for TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD and two people (Caucasian) including an official of the local chapter of the NAACP have told us that the play is racist and not politically correct and will not support us in its production and indeed will picket against it.  These are the same two women who walked into a local bookstore and demanded that it be removed from the shelf.  It wasn't.

:o ????  :o

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2006, 12:08:33 PM »

FJL -- What time do you leave tomorrow?

“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2006, 12:59:33 PM »

No posts in almost an hour????
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2006, 01:04:59 PM »

Back from the ICU!  It turned out not to be a drained battery but the connections were dirty with corrosion and the charge was not getting through.  All is now well.

I personally love Audrey Hepburn in MY FAIR LADY, but it might have been interesting to see Julie Adrews in the role.  Outside of those two ladies, I can't think of another star for the film.  In 1963 I can't see anyone else playing Mary Poppins either, so . . .

Yes, DR Jose, it is hotter than hell here, high 90s, but it looks as if it will be colling down by Friday.  Have there been any blackouts in the boroughs?  I caught on CNN at the hospital a broadcast from Central Park about coserving energy and staying cool, but no one mentioned any power failures.

I have a rather gross question for the DRs:  Lady Macbeth was just over, claiming that a terrible rash she's been treated for was radiation burn caused by my father, after chemo, throwing up on her.  I think it's one more  of her overexaggerations, most likely aimed at claiming more of my father's estate for damages incurred.  Anyone have any good medical opinion?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 01:05:37 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2006, 01:10:40 PM »

Maybe something exciting will come in the mail today.

We had NO black actors at our auditions for TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD and two people (Caucasian) including an official of the local chapter of the NAACP have told us that the play is racist and not politically correct and will not support us in its production and indeed will picket against it.  These are the same two women who walked into a local bookstore and demanded that it be removed from the shelf.  It wasn't.

BUT we can't do the show without at least four black actors.

So - who knows what will happen.  I may be seeing you on the news!

Hey - in for a penny, in for a pound:

Cancel Mockingbird and do a good old-fashion black-face minstel show!

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2006, 01:11:10 PM »

I have a rather gross question for the DRs:  Lady Macbeth was just over, claiming that a terrible rash she's been treated for was radiation burn caused by my father, after chemo, throwing up on her.  I think it's one more  of her overexaggerations, most likely aimed at claiming more of my father's estate for damages incurred.  Anyone have any good medical opinion?

Lady Macbeth needs to be put away!
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2006, 01:12:42 PM »

So hot it's unbearable here. Just to open to door to get the mail, there was a whoosh of hellish hot air that just overpowered me. COuldn't get the door closed quickly enough!

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2006, 01:15:33 PM »

After returning from lunch, I watched last night's BOSTON LEGAL. Very funny show for the most part, and the parts that weren't funny were involving.

I have to say that I didn't see anything special about Michael J. Fox's performance to earn him an Emmy nomination for guest actor. Yes, I know with his disease he battles with medication, just being able to hold his head steady is a major accomplishment. I didn't think the acting performance was especially commanding. I saw many better guest performances during the season than this one.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2006, 01:16:42 PM »

I watched another episode of THE WILD WILD WEST. This one had Joanna Moore as the femme fatale and Ron Randall as the chief villain. OK episode, but not nearly as filled with gadgets as the show later used.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2006, 01:17:46 PM »

After returning from lunch, I watched last night's BOSTON LEGAL. Very funny show for the most part, and the parts that weren't funny were involving.

I have to say that I didn't see anything special about Michael J. Fox's performance to earn him an Emmy nomination for guest actor. Yes, I know with his disease he battles with medication, just being able to hold his head steady is a major accomplishment. I didn't think the acting performance was especially commanding. I saw many better guest performances during the season than this one.

Any bets on whether he will win?
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2006, 01:17:58 PM »

Then, to finish the afternoon, I began rewatching the Angela Lansbury interview from last night. I only got to the part of the show where she had met Peter Shaw (husband of 53 years), so I'll finish it before I start anything new tonight.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up