Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: CATCHING THE WORM  (Read 28528 times)

Ginny

Re:CATCHING THE WORM
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2006, 06:55:45 AM »

We'll be there from late afternoon on Wednesday the 4th until noonish on Sunday the 8th.  Right now we have tickets to Drowsy Chaperone on Thursday the 5th, but we haven't planned anything else yet.  

Well, if we're going have any daytime playtime we'd better plan on Thursday.  Richard and I arrive midday on Monday the 2nd and leave late Sunday afternoon the 8th.  My conference is at DR Ben's workplace all day on Friday and Saturday (evenings are free).  I think I'll pursue Drowsy Chaperone tickets for Thursday evening, too.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2006, 07:05:08 AM »

Hoo and Ray, our phone is working again. I just called and spoke to Anthony.

Thank you Verizon.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2006, 07:24:25 AM »

Good morning!

Sunny and hot here with another thundershower a distinct possibility this afternoon. Life goes on (a BABY reference).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2006, 07:25:10 AM »

Thank you, DR JRand, in advance for whatever little surprise you've cooked up. Much appreciated.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2006, 07:26:43 AM »

It's Jane Powell Day on TCM, so the DVR will be working overtime recording the Powell movies I've either never seen (HOLIDAY IN MEXICO, THREE DARLING DAUGHTERS) or have on videotape/laserdisc and want to see if the TCM transfers better than so they can be burned onto DVD-Rs. I don't think any of these films are in the loop for a commercial DVD release, so I'll have to burn my own.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2006, 07:28:53 AM »

So sorry to read about the family problems, DR Elmore. Thankfully, my family problems are behind me. My brother and I are on friendly-ish speaking terms, but everyone else is gone.

The money/estate thing has broken many a family apart. So sorry you're having to endure the scheming and plotting.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2006, 07:30:16 AM »

I'll be watching V FOR VENDETTA tonight (since there is nothing on TV tonight I'm interested in). I have friends who saw it and highly recommended it. Anyone here have an opinion?

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2006, 07:31:30 AM »

This afternoon, I have last night's BOSTON LEGAL to catch up with, and seems like I recorded something else yesterday (other than the Lansbury biography) that I need to view and erase.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2006, 07:39:51 AM »

Good morning to all the DRs --

And for Esteemed, perky, sultry, and suave BK --

The question for "ask BK" is this;  starting at the high school level, what was the very first on-stage part that you had in a play or production?

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2006, 08:33:51 AM »

Off to read a bit and then start preparing lunch.

WBBL.

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2006, 08:42:37 AM »

BB Spoiler:

How can those people be some dense? Why do they continually let the "chill town" guys get away with murder? Isn't it obvious to Danielle that she should not trust them?

I sure to hope that Marcellas learns that he has taken the dive for "chill town" and I also hope that some miracle saves my hunky Kaysar.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 08:43:11 AM by MBarnum »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2006, 09:11:49 AM »

Hey, Mikey!  Saw this at eBay and IMMEDIATELY thought of you (if you're interested, look up "Marie Wilson")

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jed

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2006, 09:15:16 AM »

Ask BK day...

Where the hell have I been the past couple months?
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2006, 09:17:55 AM »

Ask BK day...

ERRANT and TRUANT, I 'spect!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2006, 09:18:07 AM »

Dear Esteemed BK:

I look forward to your comments on Curtains.

Out of curiosity, which of the performers in the cast have you worked with before?

And does knowing a performer personally change how you react to them on stage?

I've worked with Ziemba a few times, David Hyde Pierce once, and I can't remember who else, but I think I know several others.  I'm always happy to see folks I know onstage but I don't know that knowing them changes how I react to them.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2006, 09:19:08 AM »

BB Spoiler:
I sure to hope that Marcellas learns that he has taken the dive for "chill town" and I also hope that some miracle saves my hunky Kaysar.

Actually, they were trying to get him nominated, but Danielle saw through that.

Given Marcellas' recent bout of ugliness/nastiness, I think he had it coming.  And Will is SO funny.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2006, 09:19:14 AM »

How many words did Beatrice Straight have in the film NETWORK?  

Maybe the nominators were trying to encourage actors to take small parts, in that if they make an indelible imporession in a small part, they will be eligible for nominations?

Just playing devil's advocate on this, I didn't see the TV film in question.

The scene in Network is short, but Miss Straight speaks a lot more than two lines.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2006, 09:21:14 AM »

Good morning to all the DRs --

And for Esteemed, perky, sultry, and suave BK --

The question for "ask BK" is this;  starting at the high school level, what was the very first on-stage part that you had in a play or production?

As those who've read Kritzer Time know, both Benjamin and my first role in a high school play was as Judge Hawthorne in The Crucible.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2006, 09:21:44 AM »

Ask BK day...

Tarnation?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2006, 09:32:31 AM »

Ask BK...

Forgive me, but this David Wechter is he a relation to Julius Wechter of Baja Marimba fame? I know you have some connection to the Baja Marimba Band via production or something. Or is there no connection whatsoever?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2006, 09:36:28 AM »

musicguy-
Indeed, TPunk and I live in that upper part of Manhattan. We are near the 194 and Broadway, across from a giant stone outcropping.  You and td oughtta come up if you are coming to the city. That goes for Ginny and Cillaliz and any other visitors as well. Let us know!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2006, 09:49:31 AM »

Hello, DRMUSICGUY....I think I forgot to say that yesterday.

I am too late today to be an early bird.

Raining today....

Watched Act Two of Seussical last night after my rehearsal of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD....hmmm.  I could hear the soloists okay....but the way the chorus is miked everything sounds like much....can't understand a word they're singing.  Not that it's much of a loss.

The production is very colorful and fun....the dancing is less than ordinary...and music and lyrics (for me) lack imagination....there is NOTHING there....

oh well....we are almost sold out!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2006, 09:50:20 AM »

The way my life has been going lately...I was SURE love HAD been rationed!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2006, 09:53:45 AM »

I found a sealed CD of the CAMP soundtrack at the Goodwill today for $2.99 less my Senior Citizen discount.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2006, 09:55:15 AM »

My question for ASK BK day....who is the BEST choreographer you have ever worked with.....and what is the best number he/she did for you?  You may choose one as a performer and one as a director.....or any combination platter of the two.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2006, 09:56:34 AM »

Ask BK...

Forgive me, but this David Wechter is he a relation to Julius Wechter of Baja Marimba fame? I know you have some connection to the Baja Marimba Band via production or something. Or is there no connection whatsoever?

David is indeed related to Julius - his son.  You weren't around when it was happening, but I directed a huge all-star tribute to Julius - a benefit for Tourette's Syndrome, which Julius was afflicted with.  Julius was a wonderful guy, and I produced the final incarnation of the Bajas - The Baja Marimbas.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2006, 10:04:20 AM »

My question for ASK BK day....who is the BEST choreographer you have ever worked with.....and what is the best number he/she did for you?  You may choose one as a performer and one as a director.....or any combination platter of the two.

I was very pleased with the work of Cheryl Baxter and her partner on What If - really good stuff, and FUNNY.  Also, Tom Callas' work on the original production of Stages had some nice moments, especially the title song.  Otherwise, I've either done the staging of the group numbers (I'm NOT a choreographer, heaven knows, but I know how to move people around pretty well), or there hasn't been anything to choreograph.

As to people I've been choreographed by, hmmm.  I liked everyone I worked with, but I don't know that I'd say that any of them were brilliant choreographers.  Joe Tremayne was fun (did The Creature Wasn't Nice), I liked David Winters and Hugh Lambert and someone else from Donny and Marie's show (I'm blanking on the name), and Marge Champion did the curtain call of Forget-Me-Not Lane, which was nice.  Kay Cole did the Guy Haines number in one of the STAGE benefits - he liked her okay.  Toby Bluth and his choreographer Ellen always did fun stuff at Bluth Brothers Theater - very creative.  

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2006, 10:17:25 AM »

Hey, Mikey!  Saw this at eBay and IMMEDIATELY thought of you (if you're interested, look up "Marie Wilson")

that is cool! I have never seen this before! The guy in the yellow trunks is Armand Tanny who I was in contact with a few years ago...he said he would do an interview, but only if I came down to Los Angeles in person...haven't done so yet, but perhaps some day.

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2006, 10:20:21 AM »

musicguy-
Indeed, TPunk and I live in that upper part of Manhattan. We are near the 194 and Broadway, across from a giant stone outcropping.  You and td oughtta come up if you are coming to the city. That goes for Ginny and Cillaliz and any other visitors as well. Let us know!

The giant stone outcropping is very impressive!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2006, 10:26:25 AM »

Nice choreography answer.....how do you get someone like Marge Champion to stage a curtain call?  What union is that under?

I hope you are not giving up on a 50's number for the young girl....sounds like it's the perfect match for the material....maybe you should think Annette F instead of Connie F or even Dodie Stevens....and a big Panama with a purple hatband.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up