Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: CATCHING THE WORM  (Read 28532 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:CATCHING THE WORM
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2006, 10:29:23 AM »

LOL you're welcome DR MATTH.....hope you enjoy them....whatever they may be.  :)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2006, 10:32:05 AM »

My cousin as the Cat in the Hat Dance.

[/img] :D :D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2006, 10:46:27 AM »

I'm finding that 50s numbers in a show that takes place in that decade are a cliche - that's my prob at the moment.  It's been done to death.  None of the other songs in the show use the 50s vernacular, musically speaking.  The song that I wrote was certainly cute and all, but it didn't really do what it needed to do, and for one of the characters involved, it made no sense at all (it's the girl's boyfriend - we have to clarify exactly what and who he is - he started off being one thing and ended up being another).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2006, 10:55:46 AM »

I'm finding that 50s numbers in a show that takes place in that decade are a cliche - that's my prob at the moment.  It's been done to death.  None of the other songs in the show use the 50s vernacular, musically speaking.  The song that I wrote was certainly cute and all, but it didn't really do what it needed to do, and for one of the characters involved, it made no sense at all (it's the girl's boyfriend - we have to clarify exactly what and who he is - he started off being one thing and ended up being another).

Why not (don't hate me) write a number that speculates on the future -- UFOs were a popular futurisitic issue...or something to do with how life will be so much better and how things will be so much cheaper....lots of optimism that truly did exist all lampooning what we now know never happened...and, in fact, only got worse.  It would be true to the decade and pertinent to the now!

Just a suggestion....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2006, 11:06:56 AM »

Hiya, denizens!

Yesterday i hied me off to Seattle to help my brother's son - the one I shlepped to San Antonio for, to drive his motorhome to my brother's house in Simi Valley... - pack up his kitchen stuff. Loaded a wad o' stuff into my car - which I'll store here at the cabin temporarily, and then took him to the airport for a flight to LA. While he's gone, I'll see about packing some of his other stuff - he gets back in two weeks, and has to be out of his apt by Aug. 31. Oh, there will be several trips back and forth with Stuff...

He's getting the motorhome title transferred today, and getting his driver's license. And I? well, I'm finishing a grant ap I'll present to Redmond Arts Commission tomorrow night, asking them to pay me to do the literary arts workshops the last week of Aug, at Redmond Library. We'll see if they'll cough up the funds. It is my suspicion that they will - they have $1800 left over in the Arts Ed grant budget, and $2000 left over in the Literary Arts grant budget -- Use It or Lose It - they have to get rid of it, or the City Council will stop allocating the funds... (this is a tip for y'all who are dragging your feet on writing grant ap's to fund your projects!)
PennyO

Michael

« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2006, 11:11:07 AM »

The scene in Network is short, but Miss Straight speaks a lot more than two lines.

Beatrice Straight is only on screen for five minutes and forty seconds, making hers the briefest performance ever to win an Oscar.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2006, 11:14:26 AM »

II liked David Winters and Hugh Lambert and someone else from Donny and Marie's show (I'm blanking on the name)....

Bob Paul who choreographed the ice skating routines?
Never stop dreaming.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2006, 11:15:01 AM »

Tell Rupert hello for me
[/b].

Sometimes this site still amazes me!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2006, 11:15:19 AM »

And it's cloudy and drizzley today - good for my garden, bad for the ol' arthritis - but i needed an excuse to stay in and finish this proposal - so it's a Good Day!

Elmore, sorry about all the horrible family stuff - jeez, squabbling over the bones, when your dad is still alive and kicking... Wayne Dyer says people are like oranges -- their essence really comes out when they get squeezed. Under pressure, people reveal what's inside. Not just altruism and creativity and generosity and courage and kindness (which is radiating out of YOU, my friend), but greed and anger and hate and unresolved stuff from decades of festering... such is the test of time and "trouble".
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2006, 11:16:00 AM »

Hi, TCB - how ya doing?
PennyO

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2006, 11:25:41 AM »

Why not (don't hate me) write a number that speculates on the future -- UFOs were a popular futurisitic issue...or something to do with how life will be so much better and how things will be so much cheaper....lots of optimism that truly did exist all lampooning what we now know never happened...and, in fact, only got worse.  It would be true to the decade and pertinent to the now!

Just a suggestion....

The leading man already has such a song - The World of Tomorrow.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2006, 11:26:20 AM »

Ask BK day...

Where the hell have I been the past couple months?

That is what your neighbor wants to know, too.
[/b]
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2006, 11:26:47 AM »

Bob Paul who choreographed the ice skating routines?

No - it's a somewhat well-known TV choreographer - the joke is I remember his assistant was Charlene Painter.  It'll come to me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2006, 11:27:35 AM »

I've worked with Ziemba a few times, David Hyde Pierce once, and I can't remember who else, but I think I know several others.  I'm always happy to see folks I know onstage but I don't know that knowing them changes how I react to them.

What if you strongly disliked someone?
“One thing’s universal,

Michael

« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2006, 11:29:47 AM »

I've worked with Ziemba a few times, David Hyde Pierce once, and I can't remember who else, but I think I know several others.  I'm always happy to see folks I know onstage but I don't know that knowing them changes how I react to them.

Here is a list of the cast members who recorded for BK and the albums they did.

Karen Ziemba (I DO! I DO!, Broadway Bound, Shakespeare on Broadway & Lost In Boston II)
David Hyde Pierce (Beyond Therapy & S.T.A.G.E Cole Porter Concert)
Jason Danieley (The Stephen Schwartz Album)
Michael X Martin (Bed & Sofa)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2006, 11:32:07 AM »

No - it's a somewhat well-known TV choreographer - the joke is I remember his assistant was Charlene Painter.  It'll come to me.

Alan Johnson who worked with Mel Brooks?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2006, 11:37:46 AM »

Here is the album BK produced with the Baja Marimba Band. Very rare album.

It is the only album I have by BK that he produced that I don't have!

Never stop dreaming.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2006, 11:40:21 AM »

So François is allowed visitors! Nice to know. When we get to France (and we will, eventually, I just don't know when) we will have a nice long visit with him.

DD Rachel and her DBF Adam visited with François in May and had a wonderful time. They spent almost a whole day together and DD pronounced him "cool."

td

• td
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2006, 11:41:53 AM »

musicguy-
Indeed, TPunk and I live in that upper part of Manhattan. We are near the 194 and Broadway, across from a giant stone outcropping.  You and td oughtta come up if you are coming to the city. That goes for Ginny and Cillaliz and any other visitors as well. Let us know!

Thanks for the offer!

Well, my buddy janet lives on West 96th, and very close to Straus Park, so visiting fellow H & Ks is indeed an option when in the city.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2006, 11:48:53 AM »

I only have my one copy of The Baja Marimbas, but I'm checking to see if I can get some extras.  

Ginny

« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2006, 12:01:06 PM »

...And I? well, I'm finishing a grant ap I'll present to Redmond Arts Commission tomorrow night, asking them to pay me to do the literary arts workshops the last week of Aug, at Redmond Library. We'll see if they'll cough up the funds. It is my suspicion that they will - they have $1800 left over in the Arts Ed grant budget, and $2000 left over in the Literary Arts grant budget -- Use It or Lose It - they have to get rid of it, or the City Council will stop allocating the funds... (this is a tip for y'all who are dragging your feet on writing grant ap's to fund your projects!)...

Good luck with the proposal, DR PennyO!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2006, 12:45:01 PM »

Hi, PennyO!  I am sorry I missed you.
“One thing’s universal,

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2006, 12:46:02 PM »

Just a suggestion....

Someday, there'll be Stereopticons that move
Stereopticons? I can't believe it, no I can't believe it!
Yes, someday. In museums larger than the Louvre.

And someday, they'll be wearing skirts way up to here...

etc.

Michael

« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2006, 12:53:44 PM »

Just caught up with a week of notes and postings.

A belated birthday wishes, anniversary wishes, good health vibes to all those that had them and needed them in the past week.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2006, 01:18:50 PM »

ENjoyed a Jane Powell afternoon (for the most part).

Began with her interview with Robert Osborne on Private Screenings. She was lovely, tactful, and a really sweet and down to earth woman.

Her reminiscences about Louis B. Mayer and then at the end of the interview had her actually sobbing. I love that they kept that in and didn't re-tape the end after she got herself under control. Very real.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2006, 01:19:12 PM »

Why are people just sitting there like so much fish?  Three posts in ninety minutes.  

Matt H.

« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2006, 01:25:29 PM »

Next, I watched OUR DARING DAUGHTERS which I had never seen before. Amazing the power of MGM that they made the very talented but decidedly plain Jose Iturbi the romantic male lead of this film (with Jeanette MacDonald as leading lady). Jane Powell played Jeanette's oldest daughter, and they had a lovely duet together near the end of the film that Jane mentioned in her interview.

Elinor Donahue (from FATHER KNOWS BEST and the first season of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW among other roles) played the youngest sister.

I had never seen the movie before, and I liked it, but at only a few minutes short of two hours, it was WAY too long.

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2006, 01:27:35 PM »

Next, I checked out the TCM broadcast of TWO WEEKS WITH LOVE (Jane's favorite of all her movies and certainly one of mine as well). It looked about equal in quality to the laserdisc in terms of color. I suspect in sharpness, it was a little better than the laser. I probably will burn this to a DVD-R so I can retire the laserdisc.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2006, 01:28:46 PM »

Later today, I'll check the quality of SMALL TOWN GIRL to see if it or the VHS tape is better. I'll find it hard to believe that the TCM version won't surpass the videotape, but it has happened before.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2006, 01:39:49 PM »

PUSH.........
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up