Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: CATCHING THE WORM  (Read 28527 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
CATCHING THE WORM
« on: August 09, 2006, 12:20:58 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have illuminated all you need to know about early birds and worms, and now it is time for you to post until the early cows come home - they're trying to catch some zebras, just for the halibut.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 02:01:19 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:CATCHING THE WORM
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 12:22:39 AM »

And the word of the day is: SACCADE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 12:23:01 AM »

And a happy haineshisway.com birthday to LC, whomever that is.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 03:08:36 AM »

Floyd's SACCADE while viewing the CASCADE of water over the rocks went into such an overdrive that he got dizzy.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 03:13:00 AM »

I boo-booed last night.

When it came time to get the duck out of the downstairs refrigerator, it turned out that I hadn't thawed the duck at all.  I'd thawed out a chicken.

Ooopsie!

So, instead of the duck with beet sauce dinner that I'd planned, I made for der Brucer a roast chicken.  It was quite yummilicious, with garlic mashed potatoes, carrots, and a few beet chips on the side.  But it wasn't the duck.

[Insert rhyme.]
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 03:57:04 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 03:17:19 AM »

Dear Esteemed BK:

I look forward to your comments on Curtains.

Out of curiosity, which of the performers in the cast have you worked with before?

And does knowing a performer personally change how you react to them on stage?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 03:56:24 AM »

And here's a little something to get everyone motivated today!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 03:58:42 AM »

Der Brucer has the day planned for us, after I get off from work.  We'll be grandladding.  And bookstoreing.  And all that sort of stuff.

:D

Ben

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 04:32:38 AM »

I remember LC, although she hasn't posted in YEARS.

Well, the saga begins. As I said yesterday, the phone went out. I checked it this morning before I left for the office and it still is not working. Here at the office I checked the Verizon Web site (you can check on-line for repair requests) and it says the problem was fixed at 6:45pm yesterday. Uh, uh. I will go back to the apartment and check one more time before I call the repair line again.

The good side to the phone being out was that I had lots of lovely posts to read this morning, including some choice ones from MusicGuy.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 04:34:07 AM »

Just me and Larry here. And I'm about to leave for a few minutes.

Bye!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 04:48:37 AM »

Good morning, all!  It's so nice to be back in my own space.  My brother Randy and sister-in-law Jo are excellent hosts, but the family angst is too much and I'm glad to be out of it.  When I left, my dad cried, and I suspect it was less because I'm so wonderful and  more for the fact that I cannot act as peacemaker between Randy and my evil brother on the crap that happened yesterday.  The Macbeths are at it again.

My brothers have had ugly fights before, one so bad on a Halloween visit around 1993 that my dad begged me to fix it before I left.  This time I couldn't.  I'm ecstatic to be out of the mess, but I fear this means my family of three brothers is blown to hell.  I have no wish to see the Macbeths ever again.

I had written a longer post on all the nonsense over the company my dad started in 1965, but I just spoke to my sister-in-law Jo Ann and things seem to be cooling down between the two.  She also said that my dad's coffee buddy Jim came by to visit last night and brought her a lot of green beans, which she and my dad are stringing.

This morning, I have to pick up the mail from the post office and go to Toyland for a bit.  I may run to the NYPL Theatre Collection this afternoon.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 05:28:28 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 04:54:32 AM »

LC. = Leslie.  From New York and very much a film person.

She last lurked that I know of - at the Oscars last year.  Leslie visited DR François in Paris.

Happy Birthday Leslie.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 04:57:46 AM »

Nope, the phone is not working. On to Verizon.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 05:05:46 AM »

Hello, Morning Crew. It's nice to see you both!

Ben

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 05:06:56 AM »

The problem seems to be in the central office and they thought they fixed it yesterday afternoon. The customer service agent was very nice and tried to help so I can't get angry at her but I do want my phone service restored.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2006, 05:07:40 AM »

Hello, Morning Crew. It's nice to see you both!

DRs Ben and Tomovoz, two of my favorite gentlemen!  Howdy, boys.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2006, 05:09:14 AM »

Yes, I remember Leslie. So François is allowed visitors! Nice to know. When we get to France (and we will, eventually, I just don't know when) we will have a nice long visit with him.

Ben

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2006, 05:10:00 AM »

Larry, sorry to hear about your family travails. I would say to call Anthony and say hello, but you can't because our phone doesn't work!!!

Ben

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2006, 05:10:55 AM »

It is 8:05am. I will resume listening to Donald's sparkling new radio show and return to work on the W.K. Kellogg Foundation in anticipation of my completion of said file later today.

Cillaliz

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2006, 05:24:23 AM »

Morning all, just stopped by the computer on my way to work.   BK - I am very curious to see what you think of Curtains.  Tell Rupert hello for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2006, 05:25:20 AM »

Larry sorry about your family issues.  
Ben sorry about your phone

Cillaliz

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2006, 05:25:46 AM »

I better run.  Have a good day every one

Michael

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2006, 05:41:50 AM »

good morning all. I am back after a brief break. everything is fine and I have a lot of notes and postings to catch up on.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2006, 05:45:57 AM »

Here is a piece of news that proves the Emmy Awards no matter how the revamp the rules is still a popularity contest rather than quality.

NEW YORK - The television academy is facing uncomfortable questions about its procedures after  Ellen Burstyn was nominated for a best supporting actress Emmy for a 14-second performance.
Burstyn appeared briefly in the HBO movie "Mrs. Harris," playing a former lover in a flashback scene reminiscing about Scarsdale diet doctor Herman Tarnower.

She spoke two lines, totaling 38 words, according to The Hollywood Reporter, which measured her on-screen time.
"Based on the popular vote, this is a legitimate nomination," said Pam Ruben Golum, spokeswoman for the television academy.

There's no rule setting a minimum participation requirement for award consideration, but the TV academy is willing to consider one for next year, she said.
For an entrance fee of $200, actors or actresses can be considered for an Emmy, the academy said. Generally, names are submitted for consideration by agents, movie producers or the actors themselves.

Burstyn didn't submit her name for consideration; it was done by someone at the movie's production company, according to an executive at HBO who would speak only on condition of anonymity. The network had no comment about the nomination.

A total of 41 actresses were up for nomination in this category; a pool of 2,000 eligible performers, directors or casting directors were able to vote on who should be nominated.

The academy wouldn't discuss this process, but critics say it's clear that the nominations were little more than a popularity contest and, based on Burstyn's brief role, voted upon by a number of people who didn't even see what she did in the movie.

Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2006, 06:29:16 AM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  It was nice to go out for the newspapers this morning and not get smacked in the face with oppressive humidity - maybe the worst of summer really is over.

Continued vibes for DR Elmore's family.  Wish I could go to NYPL with you today!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 06:30:00 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2006, 06:32:05 AM »

How many words did Beatrice Straight have in the film NETWORK?  

Maybe the nominators were trying to encourage actors to take small parts, in that if they make an indelible imporession in a small part, they will be eligible for nominations?

Just playing devil's advocate on this, I didn't see the TV film in question.

Ginny

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2006, 06:32:26 AM »

DR Cillaliz - you (and your nephew) are welcome to join us on our excursion to The Cloisters.  What exactly are your NYC dates again?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2006, 06:33:37 AM »

Continued sanity as well as health vibes to Larry's family.

Cillaliz

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2006, 06:47:24 AM »

DR Cillaliz - you (and your nephew) are welcome to join us on our excursion to The Cloisters.  What exactly are your NYC dates again?

We'll be there from late afternoon on Wednesday the 4th until noonish on Sunday the 8th.  Right now we have tickets to Drowsy Chaperone on Thursday the 5th, but we haven't planned anything else yet.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2006, 06:55:38 AM »

It's just starting to sink in for Jon that he's really going to New York.  I think after I get his plane ticket this weekend and his travel plans are set we'll start making some tentative plans.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up