Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE  (Read 22953 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE
« on: December 16, 2003, 12:04:25 AM »

Well, I hope you enjoyed the first of our Countdown to Christmas notes - I felt they had pith and moment, didn't you?  So, you know the topic so post away, dear readers, and I'll see you in a bit.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 12:13:59 AM by bk »

Jed

Re:A PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2003, 12:44:55 AM »

Pith and moment a'plenty, I'd say.

While not necessarily an odd word, I've always had a fondness for the underused perspicacity, particularly, of course, in the phrase imperturbable perspicacity.  Another favorite phrase is mellifluous alliteration (a DR Ann's father reference, actually).  Also enjoy the word obstreperous.  

I'll surely come up with a few more after some sleep.  Just have to channel DR Ann's father, for he is the king of pontificating with polysyllabic profundities (and yes, I'd say that "pontificating with polysyllabic profundities" is a rather mellifluous alliteration).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 12:50:37 AM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2003, 12:53:05 AM »

So all alone here.  No late-night posting frenzy tonight, it seems.  Well then, goodnight to all, wherever you are!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2003, 01:30:24 AM »

Ah, yes, good ol' obstreperous, synonymful with clamorous, which does not mean "loving clams."  My first lover loved the word obstreperous.  He loved to loudly declare that other people were being obstreperous, which was not nearly as effective as carrying on with a big schtick.

Der Brucer, on the other hand, is fond of the term oompityfratz, which I doubt can be found in any dictionary, but means "a really large number, the amount of which I can't remember offhand."
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2003, 02:36:37 AM »

DRJason - remember that in every city that OKLAHOMA! plays, they will be met on opening night by AE pickets.  It's a pain and people look at us like we are crazy....I only did it for THE MUSIC MAN, but they are organized for every city!  

It must be very disheartening to the actors - I have very mixed feelings about the whole thing!

Words words all I ever hear is words.....

One of my favorite words is Ubiquitous

Another is onomatopoeia

And my third favorite word in the English language is

PAYCHECK

Here is your Allison Hayes Picture of the Week - she is playing a night club singer in COUNTERPLOT!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2003, 02:47:30 AM »

Thanks again to DRCHarlesPogue for his June Wilkinson story....and the thought of being friends with Mr Harlan Ellison makes me feel faint!

Dangerous Visions.  Dangerous Visions, Again.  And the BEST book ever written about television The Glass Teat!

Hoping not to offend our DR female readers....here is Miss Wilkinson in a modest pose.

Several weeks ago, Mr BK posted a lovely photo he had taken with her at the Ray Courts show!  Thanks again!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 02:51:13 AM by JRand53 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2003, 02:52:58 AM »

And here is the official website for Mr Harlan Ellison, a writer everyone should be familiar with.

http://harlanellison.com/home.htm

Kerry

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2003, 04:44:04 AM »

Oh hell, I forgot what I was going to say.
I like boat races.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2003, 05:13:43 AM »

Up again at an ungodly hour. The notes were hilarious, though. Have never laughed so hard at 4:30 a.m. before. Words - my favorite topic. Having come to this language at age 8, I think I have a relatively unique view of it. Hungarian is totally phonetic. Once you know the rules, you can read it. Period. So to discover this strange and wonderful tongue at such a tender age was a shock, to say the least. I have lots of favorite words, but at this early hour the one that comes to mind is "pusillanimous" because of John Osborne's wonderful rant about it in LOOK BACK IN ANGER. In fact, if I had bothered to organize my books when I moved in, I'd take it off the shelf right now and quote some of it. But I'll never find the book, so that's YOUR job, DR's.

Oleaginous, bk? This probably wasn't a complimentary reference. (Why do we always remember those?) Although it may have been complimentary... "The oleaginous tones of his velvet voice were smooth enough to fry fish."  I really should go back to bed.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2003, 05:14:02 AM »

Pith and moment a'plenty, I'd say.

While not necessarily an odd word, I've always had a fondness for the underused perspicacity, particularly, of course, in the phrase imperturbable perspicacity.  Another favorite phrase is mellifluous alliteration

When are we switching back to new notes in the morning?  I get here early on Tuesdays, but find all my favorite words have already been mentioned:

mellifluous
perspicacity
pith
ubiquitous
nubile

Maybe DW Joy can post J.B.Biggley's curse.

I also like architectural terms, like lintel, which sounds, to me, like it could be a confection of some sort

And then there's Groucho's:

"With this house you can get stucco.  Boy can you get stucco!"
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2003, 05:32:11 AM »

It's still early enough for me to post. (As soon as HHW starts loading up, my scrolling and inputting slow down to a molasseslike crawl.)

DR Panni: I've edited cookbooks and am unfazed by the likes of one-quarter pound and one-half quarter pound. How about: half an eggshell of firmly packed sugar? (Which is quite sensible when we're talking proportions.) So thanks for the Ibi Néni Cake, which I'm going to try. One clarification, svp: 2 bags vanilla sugar? I think I know these, but can you confirm about how much is in one bag?

I'll be heading over to Kensington Market and my favorite nut and spice shop, where I'll be sure to get very fresh walnuts. Years ago I took my mom to this store, and the Romanian woman who owns it - and crams everything anyone can desire into a place no bigger than Saddam Hussein's hideaway - has since assumed that my mom is the family baker and that I'm kind of helpless. In fact, I'm the baker (and a not-too-shabby one). My mom's last venture into this department consisted of making butter cookies for my second grade's bake sale.

My mom passed away about a month ago. It's been a very difficult time. When the woman at Kensington Market tells me, as she always does, that she's giving me the best and the freshest ingredients for my mother, I'm going to have to say that the baking torch has been passed on to me. I can just imagine her sorry look.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2003, 05:36:54 AM »

Well, my dear Mr. JRand, I myself may not actually be friends with Harlan Ellison.  But does getting lost while driving him to the Kalamazoo airport count?

And I must quote to you Harlan's first words upon our meeting:  "Are you related to Bill Orr?"  I, of course, replied "I am him!"

My really, all-time favorite pompous word is fulsome, because people think it means "full", whereas it actually means, "exaggerated and insincere."  I've gotten a lot of mileage out of that confusion.  As in, "Please accept my fulsome apologies."   :P

Another very pretty word is squamous, as in "Lifestyles of the Rich and Squamous".   ::)

And, as all biologists know, ontogeny recapitulates philogeny.  But is it also true that ontology recapitulates philology?

Word, words, words... Oh, a Hamlet/Liza Dolittle reference!
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Panni

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2003, 05:49:58 AM »

Dan-in-Toronto - I wrote you a longish note - which did not get posted - I got a WARNING instead. So here's the important info before you sign off, then I'll try the rest again. Vanilla Sugar -one bag is 9 g. (0.32 oz.) The brand I use is Oetker - made in Canada.

Panni

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2003, 05:53:15 AM »

What I said in the rest of my destroyed note, Dan-in-Toronto, is that I'm sorry to hear about your mother. It must be a very difficult time for you. No matter how prepared we are, no matter what the nuances of the relationship, this is one life passage that hits much harder than one could imagine. My condolences.

td

• td
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2003, 06:03:46 AM »

For BK and all the dear readers everywhere, I present:

A PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2003, 06:15:37 AM »

Very funny story WFO!  LOL thanks for sharing.  Some good stuff already today!

Back to work.  Oh well!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2003, 06:29:35 AM »

DR Panni,

Thanks so much for your note. I was going to reply privately, but you don't include an e-mail address. Should you wish, you can send it to mine.

Are those Oetker products available in California? I think that one of the best things about multicultural Toronto is the immense variety of foods - at decent prices - both fresh and packaged.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2003, 07:15:51 AM »

Dan-in-Toronto: I would also like to express my condolences for the loss of your mother. My mother passed away recently, also, and it's always the very simple things (like buying baking supplies) that make me miss her the most.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2003, 07:20:44 AM »

I love words, and being an English teacher all those years, I was immersed in them, but, on the other hand, using a blustering vocabulary just for the sake of impressing or confounding people is a real turn-off for me. Anyone can comb the dictionary and come up with words which a majority of the population will not be familiar with. That is NOT good communication estecially for a critic who is trying to communicate opinions to a general audience. I had to look up "oleaginous" to find out what it meant. Why didn't the writer use 'unctuous" instead? It would have said the same thing and been understood by lots more people, I think.

My favorite word is "convoluted." I also like "parsimonious" and "protuberant."
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2003, 07:20:52 AM »

Dan I am very sorry to hear about your mother's passing. My thoughts are with you.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2003, 07:24:24 AM »

Well, due to the kindness and generosity of DR Ron, I will now be able to see STRICTLY BALLROOM in all its glory, majesty and anamorphic greatness (with 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound, too). I will give a report sometime later today with my opinions of this film. I'm really looking forward to it, and again a BIG, heartfelt thanks to DR Ron for providing this opportunity.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2003, 07:27:24 AM »

Oh, Dan, let me add my condolences as well on the loss of your mom. Those of us who have lost their mothers know exactly what you're feeling. I lost my mom in 1999, and there are still few days that pass that I don't think of her in some way, but always with a smile on my face. You will feel that way too one day.

Diane

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2003, 07:30:18 AM »

Laura & Dan: I'm so very sorry to hear about both of your mom's. My deepest symaphy for the both you.
I LOVE A Piano....

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2003, 08:12:13 AM »

Good morning.

Words?  I'll have to think on that one - actually, just need to wake up a little bit more.  I'll post once I'm back up in Fairfax this afternoon.

Oetker products are actually popping up in more and more supermarkets than one would think.  And, as I found out, some stores have been carrying them for years, but I just never noticed them.  They are usually with the baking supplies, and some stores keep them in their "international aisle".  Just check the shelves below eye level.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 08:14:13 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2003, 08:13:56 AM »

Dan: I'm so very sorry about the loss of your mom. I won't say I know how difficult it must be because I don't, but please know that you and the rest of your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

My favorite words? Hmm...two different people have already used two of my favorites: Pith and Parsimonious. Superfluous is another good one...

Jason

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2003, 08:19:47 AM »

This is the guy I understudied in SCROOGE, and yes, that's the costume I wore, even though I'm half his size. I equated it to wearing a couch--both because it was HUGE and because it was made of upholstery material. The fur around the neck rubbed against my face and made my cheeks break out and during the evening performance I tripped on the underskirt (I guess that's what you'd call it) going UP the stairs!

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2003, 08:21:54 AM »

Dr Jason, you have a great word under your pic - "ecdysiast."

Jason

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2003, 08:26:03 AM »

You're so right! How could I have overlooked that one?!?! At these prices, I'm an ECDYSIAST.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2003, 08:26:11 AM »

Dan-in-Toronto:  I, too, offer my condolences.  The day I fear the most is the day I'm no longer anyone's little boy.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2003, 08:27:41 AM »

I taught journalism for five years in the military.  And one of the phrases we'd have on a sign in our writing classes was:

"eschew obfuscation" -- meaning, "Keep it simple!"

Invariably there would be one student who, when the words were spoken, would say, "Gesundheit!"

« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 08:29:05 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up