Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE  (Read 22994 times)

Ron Pulliam

Re:A PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE
« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2003, 06:22:09 PM »

Does anybody else think it's strange that we ain't head from TomFromOz today?

And where the frell has Jennifer gone to?

Did everyone "go shopping" and forget to come home?

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2003, 06:28:15 PM »

I saw The Last Samurai today.  It is not without its flaws.  Tom Cruise comes across as Tom Cruise in a big epic Western dropped into mid-nineteenth century Japan, and the film is riddled with historical inaccuracies.  That said, this picture is mighty engrossing.  Even at two and half hours, the pace of the film never drooped.  Ken Watanabe is superb as the Samurai leader.  The battle scenes--and their deaths--are downright operatic, which, in my book, is a good thing.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jed

« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2003, 06:28:26 PM »

I, too, was just wondering where our friend from down under was.  Come out, come out, wherever you are, Tom!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jay

« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2003, 06:30:54 PM »

Perhaps Australia is suffering a heat wave--a tropical heat wave--and Dear Reader Tomovoz is doing the Can-Can.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #124 on: December 16, 2003, 07:03:18 PM »

Good evening to esteemed, svelt, well-catered, fumfer-ish, and elfinlike BK --

I'm glad your segment was viewed with liking and approval today.....did they have any shrimp cocktail shrimp on that catered food spread today??  While I was on my crazy work schedule this past weekend, I ended up eating shrimp cocktail shrimp 3 times in a row....and they were all really good!!   :o

MusicGuy

« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2003, 07:06:10 PM »

By the way BK,  we really do have our very own truly real Pear Tree, in our very own truly real yard.  What's more, at least 2 times a year, we get an entire family of quail that lives in and around our yard.

Alas, so far, no partidges........I'll trade you a "keith" for a "laurie."

MusicGuy

« Reply #126 on: December 16, 2003, 07:09:59 PM »

As far as favorite odd words.....

many of my favorites have been named;  however, very high on my list has always been to refer to some little uninformed sniglet as "a poseur."  It must be said with both the tone and the attitude of a combination of Franklin Pangborn, and Edith Evans.

DR MBarnum....so glad to hear that your date was fun.  Does that guy have any idea what a catch you are ??!!  

Bon Voyage to Ben & Ant...our love goes with you, and travel home safely.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: December 16, 2003, 07:11:20 PM »

Some network notes came back - just some general stuff, which I'll be addressing over the next couple of days.  Just adding a few things and subtracting a few things - nothing major.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #128 on: December 16, 2003, 07:17:04 PM »

TCB - Feel better. Tell your pneumonia to sit down and go away.

BK - Network notes that are easy. Wow. Gratulálok (That's "Congratulations" in Hungarian)."
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 07:17:46 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #129 on: December 16, 2003, 07:22:41 PM »

I forgot to say that Dan-in-Toronto's sandwich story was funny and touching. There must be a sandwich motif when it comes to Jewish Canadian mothers. The mother of a friend of mine in Montreal died last year (in her nineties). After the graveside services, her four children left a very meaningful memento on her grave, something she would love -- an egg sandwich.

Panni

« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2003, 07:34:19 PM »

I'm not doing this to up my posting count - although I DO want to become a/an? HHW Goddess - but I remembered something else I wanted to say. Funny word - "mouflon" (a kind of wild sheep).
When I was a kid in Toronto, one Saturday my best friend, Carol Solomon, and I went to the zoo. On one of the cages we saw the identifying sign which stated that in the cage was a MOUFLON. Both Carol and I thought this was the funniest thing we had ever heard. We could not stop laughing, I mean burst a gut,  pee your pants laughing. (And we weren't smoking anything strange.) Each time one of us would stop, the other would say "Mouflon!" and we'd be at it again. All the way home on the streetcar we were howling like maniacs. The driver almost threw us off -- the stares we got. To this day, all I have to do is call Carol up - and she's a very straight and proper lady now - unlike me - and say "Mouflon!" and she's roaring.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 07:35:53 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #131 on: December 16, 2003, 07:38:15 PM »

Dan-in-Toronto, you said you wanted to e-mail me. I didn't get anything.

Jay

« Reply #132 on: December 16, 2003, 07:45:31 PM »

So, Dear Reader Panni--

When can we expect a book or a film of your life story?  The few glimpses you have provided us on this here site (almost the most popular site on all of the internet) have been most intriguing.  Do tell!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #133 on: December 16, 2003, 08:47:12 PM »

Has anyone seen any saucers?

I cannot fathom any other reason for the strange disappearances we seem to be experiencing.

I fear Tom from Oz, and Jennifer, and now MattHwhosaidhewouldwatch"StrictlyBallroom"andgetrightbacktous, have been snatched, kit and caboodle, by little grey menschlings and have left our atmosphere.

They may not even be in our solar system any more!

Tis a heinous rash of missing personages!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 08:48:00 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2003, 08:48:48 PM »

Well, DW Joy has gone off to view The Sequel That Shall Not Be Named, leaving me all alone.  I tried viewing the Previous Installment last not but gave up after an hour.

I hope that Jennifer's E & T because she's so enraptured by her recent purchase
(the CD of Our Wedding - The Musical www.WeddingMusical.com)
that she can't tear herself away from it and join what few of us that are here.
Usually, she's ubiquitous (there's that word again!)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2003, 08:49:40 PM »

Oh, yeah!

caboodle is another favorite word.

Funny, though, that it seems used only in combination with kit and.

No one ever kvetches about how tired his caboodle is today.  I'm not even sure the caboodle can get tired.

I wonder if it can be sore?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 08:50:27 PM by Ron Pulliam »

MBarnum

« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2003, 08:56:20 PM »

DR Jed, I also had Wacky Noodles for dinner tonight...in fact just now finished slurping them down! Yuuummm! I mad a ton of it last week and put most of it in containers in the freezer...just micro and eat!

Jennifer might also be gorging on Peanut Butter M&Ms if they arrived!

TCB...get to feeling better soon! OK dagnabit!

MBarnum

« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2003, 08:56:40 PM »

Dagnabit is a favorite word, and so is rankled.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2003, 09:07:21 PM »

Sorry to have been away for so long. It's been a long night of movie and TV watching with nary a break in between.

STRICTLY BALLROOM was strictly fun: a gorgeously appointed, smoothly filmed, and very engaging lark of a movie. Surely Baz was aware that his story was nothing but unending cliches from beginning to end, and so he just had fun with them. Other than the very real talent on display with the exquisite dancing, he seems to have embraced its very predictability and wallowed in it.

I'll say it; I much preferred this movie to MOULIN ROUGE. It seems superior in almost every way and much more appealing in getting to take long, lust-filled looks at the people and scenes without having one's head snapped away with cut after endless cut for stylistic reasons than lessen the impact of what the talented people are doing.

I'm SO pleased to get to add this DVD to my collection, and once more thanks to DR Ron for recommending the film in the first place and providing me the best quality means to experience it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 09:08:06 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2003, 09:27:59 PM »

Off to bed now. It's late here on the East Coast, and I have some cooking to do tomorrow for a pot luck dinner I'm invited to.

Hope to see all back here tomorrow. Good night.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jason

« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2003, 09:32:33 PM »

Back from a fun-filled day. I had lunch with my friend Jennifer and then went to see the new film BIG FISH, starring Ewan MacGregor, Albert Finney, Billy Crudup and the amazingly gorgeous Jessica Lange (she's never looked sexier IMHO). I really enjoyed the film...it's quirky and very fantastic (in the sense that most of it is a fantasy) and I bawled like a little girl for the last ten minutes. It was a good time.

After the movie I visited the Gap and purchased the sweater that I've been eyeing for weeks. As predicted, it was on sale for 50% off the original price, so I snatched one up and used my wonderful birthday gift card to pay for it. Yay! After that, I went to work at the Met.

Did I mention that I got the Original Broadway Cast Recording of Mr. Stephen Schwartz's WICKED today? Well, I did, and I can't wait to go see the show again. The score gets better with repeated listenings, and while the two leading ladies don't come off as brilliantly on CD as they do onstage, most of their stuff is pretty thrilling. "Defying Gravity" (the act one finale) gives me chills every time I hear it...the CD is worth it just for that one song, but the rest is pretty darn good, too. I'm quite happy with the purchase, though I feel the sound levels could have been tweaked just a bit to bring out the vocal tracks a little more, but what do I know about producing?

Anyway, I'm debating whether I should go into MTI tomorrow or not. I've been asked to work a dress rehearsal at the Met on Friday, so that would mean I'd only get  two days of work in this week at MTI and I don't know if it's worth the effort. I should call them and see if I could just wait and come in the week after Christmas...

Another fun word: Canoodle.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2003, 09:40:05 PM »

Well, DW Joy has gone off to view The Sequel That Shall Not Be Named, leaving me all alone.
They made Kull II!?!?!?

:P :P :P :P :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #142 on: December 16, 2003, 09:43:49 PM »

caboodle is another favorite word.
Funny, though, that it seems used only in combination with kit and.
NEWS FLASH!!!  The next Bond Girl will be named "Kitten Kaboodle!"
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: December 16, 2003, 09:49:19 PM »

I feel we need a posting frenzy right about now.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: December 16, 2003, 10:03:22 PM »

All righty, let's NOT have a posting frenzy.  I forbid it.  I forbade it.  I see ONE post and there will be hell toupee.

Panni

« Reply #145 on: December 16, 2003, 10:13:54 PM »

DR Jay - When you will see my life story is never. That's up to other people on this site (THEIR life stories, not mine.) You know who you are.
Like every writer, I'm always writing about aspects of my life in everything I do. Even Tarzan. But, it's one thing to relate a story on HHW, it's a whole other thing to actually write it as a screenplay or book. Over ten years ago I started to write an autobiographical play - a Simonesque comedy. On the strength of the first act it was optioned by two theaters - one in LA, one in Vancouver. I have never been able to finish it! Too close to home. Maybe one day when I'm REALLY old. My daughter has promised me major hallucinogens in my twilight years. So perhaps when I'm high as a kite, it'll all come spilling out on paper. I'll be the Grandma Moses of autobiograpy. ...Does that answer your question? Are you sorry you asked?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #146 on: December 16, 2003, 10:17:50 PM »

POSTING FRENZY POSTING FRENZY POSTING FRENZY POSTING FRENZY

Bruce, I Laugh at your "let's NOT have a posting frenzy" edict.  Hey, that's an interesting word.  "Edict."  It sounds like a mispronunciation of "Edith," like Edict Bunker from "All In the Family."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #147 on: December 16, 2003, 10:43:39 PM »

Good evening.

Hmmm...  Did someone put a bitch-slap sound effect on this board?  I could have sworn when I loaded the first page of posts for today, I heard a <slap> - ???  I thought it might have been linked to the new bitch-slap icon - which I love!  Who knows?  Maybe it was something that slid off my desk, but I swore the sound came from my speakers.  Ooooohhh... Aaaaahhh... Hmmmmm...

Well, my plans for waking up early today and getting some baking done were abandoned when I didn't get up until a little past 10:00.  Ah, well.  We're off again on Thursday this week, so I'm planning on baking then.  I actually had a semi-productive morning/mid-day - just going through some mail, checking to make sure my bill payments were up to date, sorting through some papers, etc.  I headed back up to DC around 2:30-ish after making a stop to pick up some holiday butter cookies at this great French bakery in Richmond, Jean-Jacques.  -At least I still brought baked goods.  ;)

Well... I was still about an hour away from DC, when I got a call from the assistant stage manager.  Our Merlyn was out sick with the flu - as well as our stage manager.  So, they were going to have a put-in rehearsal at 4:00.  Well, it was already 3:40, and I was still about an hour away.  However, there were scenes to run and blocking to review, so by the time I got there we were able to run the musical sections that needed to be run - which were minimal.  Apparently, everyone had their cell phones off today - or were out of range, and people lost track of who was called and who wasn't.  Even my conductor didn't realize what was going on until he got to the theatre (he had his cell phone off all day).  But, as it turned out, it wasn't a "major" deal, and both our Merlyn understudy and the male swing did a wonderful job tonight.  Now let's just hope the other people in the cast who were starting to feel under the weather tonight are able to rest and get better for tomorrow night's show....

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]!!!!Good Health Vibes!!!![/move]

Again, we did have a great show, and tonight was also the first night of our holiday fundraising campaign for BC/EFA and Food & Friends.  After the show, members of the company sang carols in the lobby while accepting donations - we used the helmets from the show as buckets - and they were also selling autographed show posters.  From the looks of the overflowing helmets and baskets, we had a very generous audience tonight.  Let's hope that generous holiday spirit continues throughout the week.

As for words.... Well, a bunch of them have been mentioned already, so...  But, off the top of my already-sleepy head:

egregious - Thank you, Ms. Andrews!
perspicacity
tumescent - and now the afore-mentioned "post-tumescent"  :-X
hirsute
lackadaisical
cajole
smugging - First came across this word in A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, referring to the playground activities of some lads.

DR Jason - Any more progress on your missing mail?

DR Dan - It is so nice to know that you have many happy memories of your mother.  Maybe the next time you go to the market, you can share them with the lady who runs the shop.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2003, 11:13:31 PM »

Smugging?

What is this smugging?

What does this smugging mean, please!

« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 11:15:42 PM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: December 16, 2003, 11:15:07 PM »

Am I seeing POSTS?  I don't want to see no stinking POSTS.  We are NOT having a posting frenzy so knockwurst it off.

I just saw the finished interview for our first Unseemly Interview in ages - which hopefully will be up on Friday.  It's a fantastic interview with Miss Stephanie J. Block, star of The Boy from Oz, and the original Elphaba in all the workshops and readings of Wicked.  It's very honest, and sweet and fun and she holds nothing back.  I was almost ready to cancel doing the interview because one with her showed up on another site.  But, what we do here is unlike anything on any other site, and I'm very proud of our Unseemly Interviews - they really are special.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up