Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: INTENTIONS GONE AWRY  (Read 19812 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:INTENTIONS GONE AWRY
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2006, 07:45:55 AM »

And this should take us to Page Two!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2006, 08:14:04 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY(S), JRAND & JOSE.

BK, why in heaven's name are you telling Blanche about color transfers in DVDs?  Dogs are color-blind!  ;)

Also, BK, how literal is your "handful of performances" statement in the Trivia Contest?   You usually always mean exactly what you state in those contests, but I'll be danged if I can find anything that fits so far.

However, in my early morning research into the contest, I keep running across two names (this always seems to happen)--today the names are Ira Levin and Maurice Jarre.  Isn't that peculiar?  Perhaps Jarre (or even his son) can do the incidental music for Rosemary's Baby:  A Mexican Ballet.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2006, 08:19:06 AM »

Off to do some tidying up around the house and then on to lunch preparation.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2006, 08:37:04 AM »

A late summer HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to JRand and Jose!!! Hope it is a wonderful day for you lads!

My yesterday was spent blueberry picking and then yard hacking. The salmon berry bushes must DIE! And two years' worth of dead monster ferns. OUT! I say! I'm a little sore today, but intend to get back out there again. The piano tuner is coming at 11 - so I can use that hour or two to rip the hapless offenders out. Burn pile is huge - and no rain in sight... may have to let it sit right where it is until next spring, before I can burn. So be it! meanwhile, a little WD-40 on the old slashers, and I'm good to go.

Laters, gators!
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2006, 08:37:30 AM »

TOD - No $#%^$%#^ clew...
PennyO

Cillaliz

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2006, 08:43:00 AM »

HAPPY B'DAY DR JOSE!!!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2006, 08:43:48 AM »

Happy B'day JRAND

Cillaliz

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2006, 08:47:29 AM »

Don't know about the TOD.....

Cillaliz

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2006, 08:49:17 AM »

It's a lovely day here. Last night the cats insisted on fighting when I wanted to go to bed.  It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so loud about it. Anyway, I finally got them calmed down and got to sleep at about 2:00AM. Whe they started at it at about 6:45 AM, I shooed them out of the bedroom shut the door and slept until 10:00 AM!!! I can't remember the last time I've slept this late...it was great.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2006, 08:53:13 AM »

Happy B'days to JRand and Jose!!!

First color picture I think I ever saw was Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.  I can't remember any of the others because I never noticed this stuff when I was a kid.  I went for the stories, not the technical stuff.  I think one of the Gone With The Wind revivals was the first time I ever saw a motion picture that had an intermission.  I don't think I ever saw a 3-d movie in the theatre.

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2006, 08:59:51 AM »

A very, very happy birthday to my good buddy JRand56!!!

PS: The Cathcart family also sends their very birthday wishes as well! LOL!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 09:01:00 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2006, 09:03:13 AM »

And a wonderful birthday also to DR JosePiano! Enjoy your day!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2006, 09:20:56 AM »

DR Danis - Have you watched The Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic Channel

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2006, 09:21:50 AM »

I slept right up until the knocking on the door of she of the Evil Eye.  Pretty day outside.

I who have a wonderful memory for ephemera cannot remember the first color film I saw.  I do think the first Cinemascope film would have been The Tender Trap or The High and the Mighty, whichever came out first - and either way it would have been at the Village Theater.  It seems like it would have been The Tender Trap - maybe someone can verify the dates.  First roadshow - hmmm.  Maybe Ben-Hur, maybe a reissue of Seven Wonders Of The World in Cinerama.  First 3D would have been the first year of Disneyland - they showed something in their Main Street movie theater.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2006, 09:23:36 AM »

Someone recently suggested that instead of just putting my computer to sleep at night, that I actually shut it down - that even when it's in "sleep" mode it's somehow still at work.  So, since I've been doing that it does seem like I have less Internet problems, especially with AOL.  It wasn't suggested I needed to shut it down every night, but every other night or so.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2006, 09:27:31 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR and friend JOSE!!!! I wish you a small mountain of cupcakes.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2006, 09:29:00 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR and friend JRand of Indiana. I wish you Hoosier happiness.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2006, 09:31:17 AM »

I'm sure I saw color before black and white. My first ever movie? I recall seeing BAMBI at a drive-in when I had to be less than four years old. I fell asleep. I did see a re-release of HOUSE OF WAX in the mid 80s.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2006, 10:14:17 AM »

Must leave now, but shall return in a couple of hours.

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2006, 10:15:52 AM »

Back from teaching Grantseeking Basics to a great group of 16.  Now I have an hour for lunch and 3.5 hours of information waitressing, followed by a sparkling dinner gathering at China Cottage with my family.  My sister and her husband (from Michigan) and their daughter (from Illinois) are visiting my mom this weekend.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2006, 10:25:30 AM »

Today is here, and today is the day I see "A Chorus Line."

Funny story...not.  I received an online reminder from Ticketmaster that my booked performance was coming up.  And then it reminded me that I was seeing today's 8 p.m. show.

"What?  This can't BE!" I exclaimed.  "I booked the matinee", I protested.  

I checked my ticket I've had for a month...and there it was!  8 p.m. performance.

I know I'm aging...but I've done my damnedest to do it gracefully...and with care.  But the only thing i can imagine is that I must have failed, while seeking a good seat, to re-check that I was still booking "matinee".  And of course...best intentions, etc.

I've been worrying myself sick all week about what to do.  I don't worry at all about San Francisco, but the return trip, via BART (the subway here) late at night...with the several blocks walk in downtown Oakland (never a safe place since there's little commercial night life and FORGET ABOUT police presence) to get my car had me seriously considering being a no-show at the theater.  I could park my car in the unpatrolled BART parking lot of the station in the city, but would it be there when I got back.  And how long, I wondered, would it take me to get a BART train after 11 p.m. to return me to this particular station?

No....it just wasn't something I wanted to do.

So...I've booked myself a hotel one block from the theater.  I'll check in after 2 p.m. and I have the room until noon tomorrow.  The hotel is also two -- well-lighted, theater-district -- blocks from the theater where "A Chorus Line" is playing.

It's an adventure...a treat...and I'm thoroughly relieved to have made the decision.  I want to see the show very much.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2006, 10:26:47 AM »

Good morning.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2006, 10:28:34 AM »

I may not have gotten to the things that most-needed doing yesterday...but I managed to thoroughly clean my kitchen and bathroom floors, and I did some major dusting/polishing of furniture, and I threw a bunch of stuff out and reorganized another bunch.

I'm not thoroughly disgusted with myself for having wasted the day, and I'm pleased to say I didn't watch a single movie on DVD....having been distracted by a few things airing on TV!

:D

Ginny

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2006, 10:34:38 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - Glad you found a way to turn your ticket mishap into an adventure.  I'll be looking forward to your report on A Chorus Line, because DH Richard and I have tickets for it in NYC, 2 nights before the Broadway opening.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2006, 10:42:01 AM »

The talk about first color movie....I have no memory of what movie was the first I ever saw in a theater, hence whether it was b/w or color is a bit moot.  

I do, however, have memories of the first three movies I remember seeing in a theater:  "Anastasia" (1956), "The Ten Commandments" (1956) and "War and Peace" (1956).  All were in color.  And I was 7 years old.  (the first film was my first memory of CinemaScope and the latter two were both VistaVision.  My first roadshow for which I reserved a ticket/seat in advance was "The Sound of Music" in 1965).

My mother has told me she used to take me with her to the movies all the time when I was a baby...and I know I went to the movies in the small town where we lived prior to my reaching age 7, but I don't remember what the movies were.

We had a TV back in those olden days, and black-and-white was the norm.  I don't believe I ever questioned it, although I used to wonder what some of the programs would be like in color...especially in those years of the early 1960s.  It was 1966 when my father bought a color TV.  I had seen color TV as early as 1964 when my grandfather bought one.  

We would go to my grandfather's for Sunday dinner and then watch "Bonanza."

What I really wanted was to see was the NBC peacock and the opening to the Walt Disney TV show...it always looked as if it would be spectacular in color...and I remember seeing color images in magazines of what they looked like...and the real thing was as wonderful as I'd imagined.

I've never had a problem with b/w vs. color.  I guess there was a time when I wondered why studios made decisions to film in b/w rather than color, but then I'd research and find some comment about WWII austerity, etc.  It always made sense to me...at that time and for that time.  Today, in retrospect, it seems insane that MGM didn't film "Ziegfeld Girl" in color...or that Fox didn't film "Prince of Foxes" in color.  But..what's done is done.

I had a young friend in Naples, Italy, during my tour there 1987-92, who came to my house one Saturday wanting to watch some movies on VHS.  He named one he wanted to see, and I had it.  So, we watched.  And then I took a turn and put on "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane."  

He nearly freaked. "I don't watch black-and-white" movies, he stated.  "They're not realistic."

I reminded him that they were MOVIES and that the movie he had chosen was no more realistic because it was in color than if it had been in b/w.  I implored him to give this movie a chance.

He grudgingly -- and very silently -- watched the movie through to its conclusion.

Afterward, he said, "That was GREAT!  I got so involved in the story that I forgot it wasn't in color!"

And THAT's what it's all about.  Sometimes, the lack of color forces you to think and give it emotional color on your own!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 10:48:46 AM by Ron Pulliam »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2006, 10:43:00 AM »

Actually I would be FIRST....since my name is Jack (a DR TOMovOZ reference)....and yes TOO...those songs will be played.

I am on my way to work for the next 10 hours or so, but hopefully I will be able to check in.

Thanks for the Birthday wishes from yesterday.

AND of course Happiest of the Same Birthday to DRJOSE....  Mamma Mia...he is much younger!

Do you live in the back?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2006, 10:43:34 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - Glad you found a way to turn your ticket mishap into an adventure.  I'll be looking forward to your report on A Chorus Line, because DH Richard and I have tickets for it in NYC, 2 nights before the Broadway opening.

Well, that was another part of it, too!  I remembered someone had said they had tix, and I just couldn't figure how I could come on here NOT having seen the show because of a few logistics issues I had.

Sometimes, you have to move MOUNTAINS for the sake of a Broadway(-bound) show!

Ginny

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2006, 10:44:32 AM »

TOD -

Cinemascope:  Windjammer
Road show:  The Agony and the Ecstasy

Ginny

« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2006, 10:45:56 AM »

Well, that was another part of it, too!  I remembered someone had said they had tix, and I just couldn't figure how I could come on here NOT having seen the show because of a few logistics issues I had.

Sometimes, you have to move MOUNTAINS for the sake of a Broadway(-bound) show!

I think DRs Cillaliz and jhvw are seeing it the night before opening night.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2006, 10:50:56 AM »

Do you live in the back?

:-\ JEHOSAPHAT!   Did I miss TWO birthdays?   :-[

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]A VERY MERRY UN-BIRTHDAY to JRAND56 and JOSESPIANO![/move]

::)

« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 10:52:11 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up