Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: INTENTIONS GONE AWRY  (Read 19856 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
INTENTIONS GONE AWRY
« on: August 26, 2006, 12:41:01 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have gone awry like the intentions, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they've gone awry, too.  
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 12:21:34 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:INTENTIONS GONE AWRY
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 12:43:07 AM »

And the word of the day is: EFFERENT!

Ginny

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 04:03:31 AM »

Early Saturday greetings!  It's a workday for me and I'll be teaching a workshop first thing this morning.

Didn't want to wait until early afternoon to say:

Happiest of birthdays to DR JRand - sorry Mockingbird is such a trial (pun intended!)

Happiest of birthdays to DR Jose - glad to hear that you'll be in NYC the first week of October!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 05:04:48 AM »

Very happy birthday to (in alphabetical order, by HHW name) Jose and JRand!

I guess if I used their real names, the alphabetical order might not be the same, though, but still...

FJL

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 05:05:47 AM »

Not that Jose isn't Jose's real name, but you know what i mean.  :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 05:42:01 AM »

Actually I would be FIRST....since my name is Jack (a DR TOMovOZ reference)....and yes TOO...those songs will be played.

I am on my way to work for the next 10 hours or so, but hopefully I will be able to check in.

Thanks for the Birthday wishes from yesterday.

AND of course Happiest of the Same Birthday to DRJOSE....  Mamma Mia...he is much younger!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 05:45:54 AM »

Oh, Happy Day to Jose and Jack or Jack and Jose or JRand56 and Jose's Piano :-)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 05:54:59 AM »

Good morning, all!

Yep, MONK started its downhill slide for me earlier this season, and I believe the personnel involved are trying so hard to make his phobias humorous that they're taking an interesting character too far from the realities of the parameters established from the beginning for him.  I hope last night's dreadful episode is a nail in theshow's coffin.

I finished last night THE DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY.  The book is both an interesting social history of Chicago and the creation of the 1893 Chicago Exposition and the demented serial killer H H Holmes, whose number of criminal acts against human beings never will be fully documented.  Holmes took advantage of the Exposition to build a block-long hotel from which many visitors to the Exposition may never have checked out.  

Holmes' crimes influenced a serial killer in 1997, Dr Michael Swango, and I suspect this is the source for the frightening 19th Century serial killer in the past season of MEDIUM.  The writers of the show may have read the book as well.  I loved it, but Holmes is such an unsettling character that I went to bed afraid of the dark.

TOD:
  Color:  CINDERELLA (Disney), 1950
  3-D: some Western whose title I've forgotten
  Cinerama: SEVEN WONDERS OF THE WORLD (1956)
  Cinemascope:  LADY AND THE TRAMP(?)
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2006, 05:59:04 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR JOSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/move]
                                                             !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND MANY HAPPY AND HEALTHY MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/move]

« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 06:27:46 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 06:15:07 AM »

And the word of the day is: EFFERENT!
FERN FEET?  I'm supposed to get a half-decent sentence using both EFFERENT and FERN FEET?

:-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 06:18:43 AM »

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
Happy
Birthday
JRand!
[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006, 06:19:22 AM »

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
Happy
Birthday
Jose!
[/move]

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2006, 06:21:10 AM »

I can't really comment on the TOD.  My parents didn't take us to see movies much, and when they did they tended to take us to drive-ins.  Stereo sound coming from a drive-in speaker... sheesh!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2006, 06:28:14 AM »

A-Lion Kinging we will go!

Yep, it's about time to get cleaned up, so we can get to Magic Mommy's house on time to gather the family together and head on to Philly.

Exactly how this adventure will take place, that is still uncertain.  But there's a chance der Brucer will be joining me in my mutiny against the tyrrany of his daughter!  Apparently, Alex has finished all the levels of his Pokemon game... but there are other, more advanced Pokemon games to be had.  Der Grampa is seriously contemplating getting Alex one of said more advanced games, in spite of Magic Mommy's hatred of same.  Heck, he remembers what it was like to be an obcessive nine-year-old boy.  I remember what it was like.  Magic Mommy is the one who doesn't remember.

Life is a bitch.  It's time to bitch back.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2006, 06:34:09 AM »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DR JRAND55 or is it JRAND56 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/move]
                                                             !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND WISHES FOR MANY HAPPY, HEALTHY & WEALTHY MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/move]

Tomovoz

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2006, 06:59:08 AM »

A very happy Beach Party Birthday for DR JRand56
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2006, 07:01:11 AM »

A very happy Finishing The Hat Birthday for DR Jose Piano.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2006, 07:19:35 AM »

First Cinemascope and stereo - "The Robe"
First Colour - The Daughter of Rose O'Grady
First Vistavision - White Christmas.

Road show = not relevant in OZ
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2006, 07:24:12 AM »

Good Morning!

Well, I'm thinking I have a good eight hours of note entry and proofing work to get done, and then it's just a matter of marking the cuts in the music for the songs that weren't transposed...  And then I have to put the books together...  And then...

Hopefully, 80-90% of that work will be done by tomorrow night so that I won't have to look at any part on Monday - I can finish the rest of detail work Tuesday during the day before the first orchestra read that night.  -However, I suspect that I will be working on some of the charts on Monday anyway - it will give me something to do.  However, I've also decided to go ahead and head down to Richmond Monday for the day.  I really would love to up to NYC for the day, but with an early rehearsal on Tuesday - and Tuesday will also be a LONG day - 10:00am-11:00pm... So...  -I've also been called in to play some of the rehearsals the past couple of days, so I "lost" some of my own Finale time.  Which is OK - it's been nice to be playing a keyboard rather than typing at one.

In any case...  I'm hoping that this "way too busy dear reader" will not be so busy after Tuesday night.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 07:26:37 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2006, 07:25:36 AM »

DRs Ginny, elmore, Ben, FJL, SWoodyWhite, Tomovoz, and JRand (my birthday twin!)...  Vielen Dank!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2006, 07:28:48 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday to JRand!!![/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday to DR JoseSPiano!!![/move]
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2006, 07:30:42 AM »

Good morning!

Another cool morning so I was able to throw open the doors and windows and cool the house down a few degrees. Everything shut up tight now, however, anticipating the 90 degrees we're going to get later today. Ugh!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2006, 07:31:17 AM »

Well, since "my" partay already seems to have started here on HHW, I shall be sure to check back in throughout the day on my breaks.  -Just remember everyone, we want to keep bk's living room as clean as it was when we found it.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2006, 07:31:48 AM »

Danke bitte, DR MattH.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2006, 07:32:37 AM »

Today, I have LADY BE GOOD and SHE DONE HIM WRONG on the DVR to watch and transfer over to DVD-Rs,

Again, the respective studios don't seem interested in releasing these films, so I'll have to make discs for myself. Hope the prints are in decent shape. I haven't seen LADY BE GOOD in many, many years.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2006, 07:33:25 AM »

Danke bitte, DR MattH.

Eat a piece of birthday cake for me! I haven't had any in so, so long!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2006, 07:33:37 AM »

OH!

I did receive a wonderful early birthday present a few days ago... My brother Mike and his wife, Veronica, have asked me to be the Godfather for my "brand new" niece, Emily.  Truly a wonderful honor and present.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2006, 07:34:16 AM »

Well... I've "stalled" long enough... Time for me to close this browser and get to work...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2006, 07:38:53 AM »

Also on a somewhat disappointing note, I was greatly anticipating the forthcoming telecast of THE YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE on TCM (this Tuesday for anyone interested).

It's a Panavision movie, but the last time TCM showed it, the image shrank to full screen as soon as the credits were done. A frustrated e-mail quickly followed from me to TCM chiding them for showing the film pan and scanned instead of in its original widescreen aspect ratio (which they usually do and are quite proud to hawk that fact). The answer from them was that the distributor from whom they lease the film had only a full frame version available but that they would attempt to rectify the situation the next time the film was shown.

Knowing that a letterboxed laserdisc was issued with the entire Panavision image intact, I informed them that somewhere there did exist a widescreen print of this movie.

My cable guide for this week's telecast has no mention of it being letterboxed, so I'm afraid we're going to be stuck once again with a full frame presentation.  Boo!  :(

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2006, 07:45:31 AM »

Topic of the Day:

First CInemascope had to have been LADY AND THE TRAMP

First color film is also the first film I can ever remember sitting through though much of it didn't make much sense to me: JOHNNY GUITAR.

First Vistavision film was the Martin & Lewis film PARDNERS.

First roadshow was CINERAMA HOLIDAY.

First 3-D wasn't in that wave of 3-Ds in 1953-54. I was too young. So, the answer is COMIN' AT YA!

I got to see many of the famous 3-D films of the 1950s during that second renaissance of 3-D in the early 1980s. (Theaters would run them at double feature matinees.)

Sad to say, KISS ME KATE, the one 3-D I'd really love to see, I've never been able to see. But I did get to see HOUSE OF WAX and BWANA DEVIL and DIAL'M' FOR MURDER and GORILLA AT LARGE and CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up