Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WAXING NOSTALGIC  (Read 18895 times)

FJL

Re:WAXING NOSTALGIC
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2006, 11:21:20 AM »

Someone just emailed me suggesting that if Last Starfighter is ever done with actual face-concealing masks for the aliens, we might want to try to get the enigmatic Guy Haines to make a cameo as one of those aliens.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2006, 11:37:49 AM »

Someone just emailed me suggesting that if Last Starfighter is ever done with actual face-concealing masks for the aliens, we might want to try to get the enigmatic Guy Haines to make a cameo as one of those aliens.

Sounds like a plan!  I'd pay to see that. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2006, 11:52:52 AM »

I don't think nostalgia should be waxed.  I think it looks just great, hairy and everything!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2006, 11:53:42 AM »

Sounds like a plan!  I'd pay to see that. ;D

To see "what"...exactly?  The elusive GH behind a mask?

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2006, 12:04:54 PM »

I have a head cold.

An irritating, sneeze-making, post-nasal drip, mucousy head cold.

And it's wearing me down rapidly.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2006, 12:39:38 PM »

I remember Sam The Record Man. I loved their Boxing Day Sales

Yes! The lines would go around the corner sometimes. I'd save up my allowance and look forward for months to Sam's Boxing Day Sale. Back in ye olden days, it was quite unusual to have a store open the day after Christmas. In fact it was considered quite scandalous by some in what was then "Toronto the Good."
BTW - Sam "the Record Man" Sniderman was a graduate of my old and wonderful high school, Harbord Collegiate home of the Oola Boola club and the Brotherhood of the Lost Parabola -- as were Dr. Charles Best, the co-discoverer of Insulin, and for the Canadians out there: Shopsy and Wayne & Shuster (who met there).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 12:48:46 PM by Maria »

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2006, 12:40:49 PM »

Cold away Vibes to DR RP!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2006, 12:53:47 PM »

I never had the pleasure of listening booths, as I think those went out of style by the time I came around to shopping at record stores.

Weren't you arrested in a listening booth?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2006, 01:07:44 PM »

Yep!  The bitch is back from the rain and the NYPL.  I didn't get to the Post Office, so that will be a priority for tomorrow morning.  This afternoon I need to think about the SINGING NUN finale.

There was a Peaches in Cincinnati, and I worked briefly for them; I cannot remember the reason I quit, but I do remember a frightening drive in a blizzard from Peaches to my home.  I thought it was a wonderful store, and I remember one of their pieces of merchandising was a wooden crate which had their logo.

On my first New York trip, Dec. 26-Jan. 2, 1967, I discovered Sam Goody, which had two stores on West 49th Street, opposite each other.  One was their discount store and the other was their bargain store.  I believe most of the trip, when I wasn't at the theatre, was in either of those two stores or the Drama Book Shop.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2006, 01:14:52 PM »

I went over to Du-Par's to proof there whilst eating two poached eggs.  I don't exactly know how you ruin poached eggs but today's were just awful and I'm now completely nauseous.  I've got one story to go - still haven't heard from Mr. Geissman, which does not bode well for wrapping this up today.

Michael

« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2006, 01:17:36 PM »

I never experienced a listening booth, but did preview cds with headphones at a listening station
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2006, 01:35:40 PM »

What a wonderful afternoon of viewing I've had. I started off with finishing MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY. Franchot Tone's delcaration before the committee near the climax of the film always leaves me in tears, and this time it was no different.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2006, 01:40:21 PM »

And then, the highlight of the afternoon - THE YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE!

Praise be - TCM located a letterboxed print of the film, and I saw it in all its Panavision glory. The first two segments were pristine in look, but the Ingrid Bergman segment did have some print flaws. Not enough to spoil anything, of course, and I am so, so happy to finally be able to add this to my collection after searching for a decent copy for so many months. (The letterboxed laserdiscs that kept showing up on Ebay never went for less than $55 and often more.)

I had not seen this all the way through since seeing it at Radio City Music Hall in the 1960s. A grand reunion for me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2006, 01:41:08 PM »

To see "what"...exactly?  The elusive GH behind a mask?

:D

You're right.  Let me say, I'd pay to "experience" that...to be in the presence of the great and powerful Guy Haines! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2006, 01:43:47 PM »

I finished my afternoon viewing with last night's VANISHED.

Now, I like the show, and it certainly has held my interest for two weeks, but it's a serialized drama with dozens of characters, and the plot jumps backrwards and forwards in time. I can see I'm going to have a hard time keeping all these interactions straight in my mind, especially since I'll be deeply involved with other serialized dramas soon (LOST, GREY'S ANATOMY, to name just two).

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2006, 01:46:43 PM »

Tonight DEADWOOD's finale.

FJL

« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2006, 01:50:56 PM »

FIVE GUYS NAMED HAINES - shouldn't that be the name of something?

Ginny

« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2006, 02:31:45 PM »

All this nostalgia has made me wish for a toasted cinnamon roll at Drake's (no longer on North University in A2, alas).  It's where a group of my friends met late many Thursday afternoons before going to U of M student lab theater productions.  Many of those shows featured a student actress named Christine Lahti.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2006, 02:35:32 PM »

...or a toasted pecan roll...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2006, 02:35:43 PM »

elmore, I too remember the Peaches logo crate, which were, of course, for record storage.  You could build a wall of record crates with them.  

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2006, 02:38:27 PM »

There's thunder rumbling, and I suspect a thunderstorm is on the way, so I'm hopping off-line now.

WBBL.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2006, 03:06:11 PM »

DR DakotaCelt: Are you feeling better today?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2006, 03:23:40 PM »

Proofing is finished, and I'll be going to Grant's at seven to hopefully put this sucker to bed.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2006, 03:39:43 PM »

I loved Celebration.  I played Potemkin in a college production.

Wasn't that a battleship?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2006, 03:44:41 PM »

I bought records EVERYWHERE

My favorite record store was at about 52nd and Keystone in Indy....and it was called Rockin' Billy's.  Full of new AND used 45's and LP's.  I often went there on my lunch hour from the Indiana School for the Deaf.  I bought a LOT of soundtrack and cast album LP's there....including RED GARTERS and WHITE CHRISTMAS....POLLY BERGEN in THE HELEN MORGAN STORY, a set of 45 rpm EP's.....some Annette.....

Don't know if it's still there....but it was FUN!

I love coincidences.

I was playing (not wearing) "Red Garters" twelve hours ago.
thats' my "dime and a dollar" reference for the day.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2006, 03:56:41 PM »

I also watched VANISHED.  I'm surprised but i really like it. I was putting off watching the first episode. But once i saw it I could not wait for last night's show.

It's not really a show that I would think I would enjoy. But since there is not much new on yet, I thought I would try it.

It's actually quite fascinating. And there is a lot going on.

Tomovoz

« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2006, 03:58:36 PM »

Yes  Domenico Modugno. He had the big version of "Volare" here before Dean Martin's cover.

Of course only some parts of my lies are true. Modugno's next international hit was "Ciao Ciao Bambina" in 1959 It was the hit of the San Remo song Festival and went on to be Italy's representative at the Eurovison Song Festival.  Neither it nor Volare won but they are songs that are remembered. Much as "Love is Blue" did not do well in the contest either.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2006, 04:24:57 PM »

I went home at 12:30 p.m., PST.

I've been in bed since 1 p.m.

Now I'm up and have had to find some decongestants.

DAMN ALL POST-NASAL DRIPS!

Cillaliz

« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2006, 04:30:46 PM »

I went home at 12:30 p.m., PST.

I've been in bed since 1 p.m.

Now I'm up and have had to find some decongestants.

DAMN ALL POST-NASAL DRIPS!

DAMN ALL NASAL DRIP POSTS!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2006, 04:32:16 PM »

Cool Beans!!! jhvw is up for Grey Gardens.  I am most pleased about that news
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up