Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WAXING NOSTALGIC  (Read 19070 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:WAXING NOSTALGIC
« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2006, 04:32:45 PM »

As a youth, my "record haunt" was a store in a nearby (nearby the street where I lived) mall.  The Wade Hampton Mall consisted of a large Winn-Dixie grocery store, a Walgreens Drugstore, and a variety of small shops on two levels.  One of those shops was Carole's Records.

It was at Carole's that I found my first "store purchase at full price" LP...."To Kill A Mockingbird" for $3.79, plus tax...which, IIRC, made the purchase $3.91 (3 cents on each dollar...plus 2 cents on anything that was more than 3/4 of a dollar.  Yes...the tax depended upon the percentage of a dollar you were paying.)

I paid for the LP on layaway.  I did many transactions with Mr. Green of Carole's on layway in those early years.  My weekly allowance did not cover the amount of an LP...and I needed money for movies, too.  So, it was a dollar a week.  Fortunately, must-have soundtrack LPs didn't proliferate.  After TKAM, I got "The Robe" and "The Egyptian" on special order, followed by layaway payments.  

Once I had a summer job, I could buy an LP outright.  Mr. Green was always very, very good to me, and he would let me know when something new arrived that he only had a couple of copies of.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 04:33:43 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2006, 04:36:31 PM »

Listening booths! Haven't thought about those in many decades, but I can remember the first time I ever went into one: I was trying to decide which version of "Volare" I wanted my father to buy for me. I eventually opted for the Dean Martin version, but I listened to all the versions that record store in Charlotte had.

Greenville SC had a couple of downtown record stores with listening booths.  Of course, when you went into one with an LP, you were glared at constantly by one clerk or other.

I guess they had reason to glare....their prices were consistently higher than Carole's....TKAM cost $4.98 in those stores....and I sure as hell never bought anything from them.  But I did listen to a few scores I was curious about.  And then I'd buy them from Mr. Green.

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2006, 04:38:34 PM »

I believe the first non-soundtrack LP I ever purchased was "Jan and Dean's Greatest Hits".  I had tons of 45's...but I never thought of buying the LPs of those artists.  The 45 rpm was good enough for moi!  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2006, 04:40:25 PM »

Tea...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2006, 04:40:38 PM »

...with...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2006, 04:40:50 PM »

...jam...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2006, 04:41:08 PM »

With A-B-C...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2006, 04:41:31 PM »

...and bread!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2006, 04:41:56 PM »

Oucha magoucha!

I think I just had a "Sound of Music" flashback!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2006, 04:42:41 PM »

When were you in Atlanta?  Did you live there?

Where in Indiana did you live?

I was born in Gary, Indiana and grew up in nearby Crown Point, Indiana. When I was 14, my family relocated to a town outside of Atlanta (Norcross). I lived in Georgia from 1985-1994.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2006, 04:43:55 PM »

And now it's time

..to say goodbye...

...to all this company...

S-i-c

k-i-e

P-o-o

That's me!

:P
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 04:44:37 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2006, 04:44:32 PM »

In fact, it brings to mind a big deal that is coming up on the morrow.

Tomorrow will mark 10 years in New York City for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2006, 04:45:45 PM »

I was born in Gary, Indiana and grew up in nearby Crown Point, Indiana. When I was 14, my family relocated to a town outside of Atlanta (Norcross). I lived in Georgia from 1985-1994.

Gary, Indiana....DON'T GET ME STARTED!

:D

During your time in Georgia, did you ever watch "Cinema Showcase" with Jim Whaley (who lived in Stone Mountain)?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 04:46:22 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2006, 04:46:22 PM »

I like Domenico's "Volare" best. Apparently the lyrics are more abstract. But that version spent a few weeks at number one here. Before Dino and Bobby Rydell had at it.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2006, 04:49:08 PM »

I was prepared to say I don't remember Jim Whaley, but I think now that I do know who you are talking about. A really good interviewer on the PBS station. He could get the big stars, and his eyes were each like two happy smiles. Hard to describe, but I remember Steve Martin telling him he had the most interesting eyes he'd ever seen. And then he died of a heart attack rather suddenly. I think this might be the same guy you are talking about.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2006, 04:55:29 PM »

I was prepared to say I don't remember Jim Whaley, but I think now that I do know who you are talking about. A really good interviewer on the PBS station. He could get the big stars, and his eyes were each like two happy smiles. Hard to describe, but I remember Steve Martin telling him he had the most interesting eyes he'd ever seen. And then he died of a heart attack rather suddenly. I think this might be the same guy you are talking about.

Exactly.

Jim was my best friend from 7th grade (circa 1961) until his death.  His family moved to Stone Mountain in 1964.

Nice to know you do remember him.  He did more than just his TV show in the greater Atlanta area.  He was on a commission or two, reviewed film music and films for Creative Loafing, and the Atlanta Journal would, for a number of years, run his 10-best film scores of the year along with their film critics' 10-best lists for films.

We didn't get many chances to hook up and do things together...but the telphone and some rather outrageous phone bills witnessed our keeping in touch.  Jim used to regale me with quite a bit of interesting stuff he could never print or discuss on the air.   Rather like what we get treated to here, from time to time.

One of his most exciting experiences was being invited to attend a celebration at MGM with a group of journalists.  They were treated like royalty, mingled with "stars" of old who turned up.  I regret to say I don't recall the specifics of what it was about.  It was a time when the MGM lot still stood as it had during its glory days.  A documentary was shot of the occasion and released with the 4-DVD "That's Entertainment" boxed set.  Jim is prominent in several shots of the group touring the lot.  He sent me quite a few photos at the time of himself with various people.

Any mention of "MGM" would light him up like a Christmas tree and he could talk for hours and tell you all sorts of incredible things about the studio and its history and the people who made its films.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 04:59:58 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ben

« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2006, 05:04:08 PM »

You, Rodzinski, have been here 10 years and this past Monday, August 28, was the day 26 years ago that I arrived in New York

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2006, 05:05:24 PM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2006, 05:20:16 PM »

Quote from: Cillaliz on Today at 07:05:02am
I loved Celebration.  I played Potemkin in a college production.

Wasn't that a battleship?

One heckava costume!  Had to be dry-cleaned only.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2006, 05:51:40 PM »

I remember going with my older siblings to a record store on Pico Blvd.  We would listen to the latest 45.  If they liked it they purchased it.  I never bought anything.

My favorite record store experiences are at Classical Harmony House in Michigan.  I was thrilled when they opened the store & spent many wonderful hours listening to CD’s & deciding which to take home.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2006, 05:54:34 PM »

Ron & Dakota, feel better vibes.

We finally switched our cell service from Sprint to T-Mobil and the phones work inside our house-a first!!!. Now I need to spend a few hours transferring all my information from one phone to the other.  The good news is, the new phone has an information chip that will make my next transfer simple.

Loads of activity for us the next couple of days so I might be E & T.

‘night.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2006, 06:01:46 PM »

I hope you feel better soon, DR RonPulliam.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Danise

« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2006, 06:22:23 PM »

Hi all!  Just wanted to stop in to let you know that all is well.  I think Ernesto is as the guy on the Weather Channel just said, "A dud".  

We'll still be keeping an eye on him but I honestly don't think we have any worries.
:)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2006, 06:25:29 PM »

Sheena (Queen of the Jungle), seems to have met her match in Kong.  

"Kong" is a dog toy that you can stuff with goodies like Peanut Butter, loaf dog food, etc.  

I filled Kong with PB and gave it to her before I left for work this morning and Lo and Behold when I returned home, nothing was tore up!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2006, 06:26:49 PM »

Of course, Bear now has a Kong of his own as well.  Can't give one without giving something to the other.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2006, 06:35:09 PM »

Mom is still doing about the same.  She has good days and bad days.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2006, 06:37:15 PM »

I have to scoot.

Have a good evening all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Cillaliz

« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2006, 06:41:02 PM »

Danise, good to see you posting. Glad all is well.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2006, 06:41:55 PM »

I was born in a trunk in the Princess Theater.

I shall now be on my way to Mr. Grant Geissman's house, for what I hope will be a relatively painless and not-too-long evening.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: August 29, 2006, 06:42:35 PM »

I do believe we'll need a frenzy or three, although it's very obvious, thanks to the diligence of the repeatedly errant and truant that we're going to have our lowest month in two years.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up