Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE STUFF THAT STUFF IS MADE OF  (Read 16454 times)

Cillaliz

Re:THE STUFF THAT STUFF IS MADE OF
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2006, 12:29:15 PM »

I agree with you about Mario being the best dancer. Emmit Smith was pretty darned good too.  

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2006, 12:30:27 PM »

This is supposed to be rosie (on the view) raking mike boogie over the coals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI0311Rx5co

Jennifer

« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2006, 12:35:51 PM »

DR Cillaliz, of course it doesn't matter what either of us think about janelle or erika. It's just funny to me. Cause i usually try to read the people on this board. And for example while people like DR MBarnum always cheer for the nicer people. It just surprised me how much you disliked janelle this year.  I read a lot of people on the big brother boards who dislike her. And they are just so mean about it (not that you are).  I guess i just didn't expect your opinion to be so strong (if that makes any sense).

Oh and re: emmitt smith. I thought he was decent. And having cheryl really helped. I guess i just don't think he can get to the finals. His moves were okay. But he has this weird (non-dancer) body. And i just can't ever see him being really great.

But that said the judges loved him.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2006, 12:48:08 PM »

Settling down to do some writing now.

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2006, 12:58:36 PM »

RE: BB All Stars,

I was a bit disappointed in how Janelle was reacting towards Erika...I didn't understand why she was being so hateful...that said, I still wish that Janelle and Will had been the two that were up at the end...neither Erika or Boogie deserved to win.

And it was funny, yet strangly discomforting, to see James squirm during the scenes they showed of him saying mean things about Janelle.

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2006, 12:59:10 PM »

Now I am excited for THE AMAZING RACE and SURVIVOR to begin!!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2006, 01:01:05 PM »

I noticed on the BBC channel that they have a few British reality shows...one called SHIPWRECK seems to be sort of SURVIVOR-like....and judging from the previews of shows that air on the BBC, it would appear that British television is just as trashy, if not more so, then American TV! LOL!

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2006, 01:02:00 PM »

I'm also writing - and trying to deal with an aching back. Not the best combo.
...Just saw on the internet news that a Columbine type shooting was taking place at a college in Montreal. Young men in black trenchcoats... What a world!

Back to the world of make-believe. Much easier to live in.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2006, 01:25:22 PM »

I noticed on the BBC channel that they have a few British reality shows...one called SHIPWRECK seems to be sort of SURVIVOR-like....and judging from the previews of shows that air on the BBC, it would appear that British television is just as trashy, if not more so, then American TV! LOL!

Only the trashy BBC allows full nudity in certain hours of the day.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2006, 01:25:58 PM »

I'm also writing - and trying to deal with an aching back. Not the best combo.
...Just saw on the internet news that a Columbine type shooting was taking place at a college in Montreal. Young men in black trenchcoats... What a world!

Back to the world of make-believe. Much easier to live in.

I just heard the same on the television.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2006, 01:39:57 PM »

Mario Lopez has been taking dance lessons for years, so it's no surprise that he's very good. (I didn't watch the show; I read this in TV GUIDE.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2006, 01:46:45 PM »

This afternoon I watched BLACK WIDOW. No, not the version with Debra Winger. This was the 1954 version with Ginger Rogers, Van Heflin, Gene Tierney, and Reginald Gardiner.

I had never seen this movie before, and in order to see it today, I had to break one of my cardinal rules about not watching pan and scan versions of films. BLACK WIDOW was an early Cinemascope Fox feature, but the version off the Fox Movie Channels was P&S, and, of course, it was wretched looking. Loping off 40% of the frame and blowing what was left up to fit a 4:3 frame does dreadful things to focus, color, and sharpness. But, I wanted to see this movie after all these years, so I suffered through it.

As a mystery it's pretty predictable, and one wonders what someone like Alfred Hitchcock could have done with this "wrong man accused" scenario. Still, I'm glad I saw it. It's definitely Van Heflin's show. Ginger Rogers may have top billing, but she has little better than a supporting role in the movie.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 01:47:27 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2006, 01:50:22 PM »

Instead of starting another film on the DVR, I put in the Criterion laserdisc of KING KONG to listen to Ron Haver's commentary. I've had this disc for many, many years, and yet I had NEVER listened to the commentary track. During the first half of the film, he deals perhaps a bit too much with the career of Merriam C. Cooper before KING KONG happened. Some of it was interesting, but some of it wasn't. Once he gets to the production of KONG itself, I found myself more involved with his lecture.

I got the first side listened to and will listen to the second side when I go back down later.

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2006, 01:52:21 PM »

I added FANTASTIC FOUR in HD to the DVR for future viewing. I doubt with so much network TV tonight that I'll get to it today.

BTW, despite some dirt and damage, that Criterion laserdisc of KONG really looked very good. I'm very happy to have the very nice DVD of KONG, but if it hadn't come out, I could certainly live very happily with just the KONG laserdisc.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2006, 01:56:11 PM »

DR MAttH, and any other DR who is having a rainy day -- may you stay dry and comfy......
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2006, 02:56:33 PM »

DR MAttH, and any other DR who is having a rainy day -- may you stay dry and comfy......

It has literally been raining here since 8:30 this morning. Hasn't stopped a second that I've noticed, but it's slowed down from what it was doing at lunchtime.

Still, we're very soggy today!

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2006, 02:57:30 PM »

Now, I'm headed down to clean the den and finish the rest of the KING KONG commentary.

WBBL.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2006, 03:24:16 PM »

Okay, I'm off to the rehearsal.  The VCR is taping PROJECT RUNWAY, and I'll watch it when I return.

I had an email from our DR Jose this morning.  I think he will return to us soon.

Tomovoz

« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2006, 03:28:12 PM »

DR Jose was on here briefly.  But will he be in New York to greet his OZ friends?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2006, 03:37:56 PM »

Dear Esteemed, rested, productive, and "dodging the stuff" BK --

You will notice that I purposely didn't say " and stuffed BK -- " ........TomofOz will have to tell you why that would be so rude and terribly unseemly.

I'm really glad that you're going to have an Olvera Street adventure this weekend.  It has also been ages since I was there, and yes, it was on a school field trip.  Except we were bussed up all the way from (God, I even hate to say the name) Pico Riviera !!!  It is sometimes known as the anus of Whittier!

TOD --

Which city or township do you think is the yuckiest part of Los Angeles, and of the Valley??

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2006, 03:41:37 PM »

Good Afternoon!

So...  Just how many times have I been bitch-slapped from here and back over the past two weeks?  ;)

Cabaret is going well.  However, I've had a string of long days - and nights - and even though we open tomorrow night, I still have a bit of work to get done over the next few days - Can you say "understudy keys"?  I don't think I've worked as hard on any show before, and I haven't ever been at the keyboard - the piano keyboard that is.

Again, the show has come together nicely, but, frankly, I'm just looking forward to a couple of Cabaret-free days.  It's just not the type of show that holds up well after repeated viewings.  It's just a hard show to watch eight times in a row.  I don't know how the actors are able to go through such an emotional journey night after night - and twice on Saturdays and Sundays.  -The Producers it ain't.

Otherwise, I'm doing fine, if just a bit tired mentally.  It has been nice being back here in DC, but I do really miss NYC right now.  I'm planning on going back up for a few days this weekend, and it will be nice to be "home" again.  Once I get back to DC, it looks like I may be participating in a workshop of a new-ish play with music down here over the next two weeks.  The change of pace - and piece - will be nice, and it will keep me off the streets.  -At least during the day.  ;)

So, that's the report for now.  I really am sorry for being errant and truant and truant and errant.  I just haven't had the energy to concentrate on much of anything after leaving the theatre each night.  However, we have no day rehearsal tomorrow, so...  :)

I hope everyone is doing well.  Vibes and Wishes for all!
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2006, 03:41:45 PM »

Only MusicGuy knows about my secret passion for taxidermy.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2006, 03:46:45 PM »

Welcome back DR Jose.
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2006, 04:00:27 PM »

Hello, fellow Dear Readers.

My DH answered the telephone today, and it was the local funeral home, wondering if they could be of service to us in the near future. We thought it was a rather odd sales call. I wonder how often folks say, "Sure, come on over. We were just wondering what to do about Aunt Trudy."
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2006, 04:03:26 PM »

Only MusicGuy knows about my secret passion for taxidermy.

Really?  I had no idea MusicGuy communicated with anyone here other than BK.

;)

« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 04:03:41 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2006, 04:07:38 PM »

I'd been wondering how Aunt Trudy was DearReader Laura.  I think her time is near.  What a thoughtful call.
Were there any special deals offered - two for the price of one or a free wake when you build up enough frequent buriel points.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 04:47:05 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2006, 04:09:50 PM »

Ah! MusicGuy was "well known" in Melbourne in years gone by!
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2006, 04:34:43 PM »

ASK BK ?

Did you cast your musical recordings like Night of the Hunter, Colette Collage, Drat! The Cat! and others like you'd cast the theater version?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2006, 04:35:08 PM »

9 days and counting
Never stop dreaming.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2006, 05:15:19 PM »

Oh dear!  Not even to .....................
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up