Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 1962  (Read 27682 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:1962
« Reply #180 on: September 20, 2006, 05:19:08 PM »

And how many orders came through whilst I was gone?  0, that's how many.

Argh! Well, after spending an hour trying to navigate and figure out why my account was "limited" (i.e. "useless")  and that it would take 2-4 business days of PayPal putting small amounts of money in the bank and me calling the bank to verify that it had arrived, I finally just called them and after I got a real person on the phone, he resolved it in 2 minutes. Whew!

So I ordered a book! Yay!

I see on the order page that there's a blurb from adorable guitarist extraordinaire Grant Geissman. He played on the music session for the last feature I cut, "The Adventures of Ociee Nash". I was the music supervisor on that one, so I got to lay out the music for that, pick the composer, and was able to work with my friend, Van Dyke Parks. Grant's playing was splendiferous. His book "Foul Play" is also recommended!

"How to write" looks great...I can't wait to dig in!

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #181 on: September 20, 2006, 05:19:59 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, if you really want to follow me around again...  Central Park sounds like a great idea - especially if the weather is nice.  We could start on the West or East side and walk across the Park via the Reservoir.  And we could check out the respective Eastside and Westside neighborhoods before or after.

Or another option would be to check out Central Park South.  We could start at the Time-Warner Center, then walk eastward.  We'd pass the big hotels on CPS, then come to the new Apple Store - where we could all check in via the "public computers" there - and even take a photo there too!  Then there's all the great stores over there too - Bloomingdales, etc. - as well as some great places to grab a bite to eat.

Or we could do the northeast corner of the Park and check out the sculpture garden there.

Or...

Or...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #182 on: September 20, 2006, 05:23:51 PM »

DR Jose - the new Apple store is definitely on our list!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #183 on: September 20, 2006, 05:24:14 PM »

Or if you HHWers want to be "adventurous", you could always head uptown to my place - I'm right off the A/C, B/D - and I could host a "snack break" at my place.  -And then if you wanted to head further up and go the Cloisters, see the GW Bridge, etc., etc....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #184 on: September 20, 2006, 05:25:13 PM »

DR Jose - the new Apple store is definitely on our list!

Well, it is open 24 hours, so...  You could always pop over to Dylan's Candy Bar and/or Serendipity for a frozen hot chocolate, then head back to the Apple Store for some latenight window-shopping and web-surfing.
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

« Reply #185 on: September 20, 2006, 05:25:29 PM »

Or we could do the northeast corner of the Park and check out the sculpture garden there.

Or...

Or...

;)

Or if you have nothing better to do, go check out Sacco and Vanzetti at NYU at 6PM! (But I would be disappointed in all y'all if you *didn't* have better things to do!)

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: September 20, 2006, 05:25:36 PM »

Edisaurus, you'll find that Grant is one of my best friends.  He's designed the last three books I've written, and he's played on about fifty of my albums, plus we've done about five solo albums together.  He and Van Dyke go way back.  On the Nudie Musical DVD first pressings, the soundtrack CD also includes all his arrangements of my score that we used for the documentary.  He also musical directed the most recent Guy Haines album.

Ginny

« Reply #187 on: September 20, 2006, 05:25:57 PM »

Or if you HHWers want to be "adventurous", you could always head uptown to my place - I'm right off the A/C, B/D - and I could host a "snack break" at my place.  -And then if you wanted to head further up and go the Cloisters, see the GW Bridge, etc., etc....

Jose - Richard and I are planning the Cloisters for Tuesday or Wednesday.  Will you be around then?  I think DRs Cillaliz and jhvw opted out of that excursion.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #188 on: September 20, 2006, 05:28:47 PM »

OH!!!!

And I just remembered that that first weekend in October happens to be "Open House New York".  Basically, it's a design and architecture event, and a bunch of museums and other institutions open their doors for free that weekend.

Here's the website for the event:

http://www.ohny.org/ohny_website/start.html

They're still putting together the list of the events and freebies, however, the following site has picked up some advance news:

http://www.newyorkology.com/archives/downtown/index.php
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #189 on: September 20, 2006, 05:30:30 PM »

Jose - Richard and I are planning the Cloisters for Tuesday or Wednesday.  Will you be around then?  I think DRs Cillaliz and jhvw opted out of that excursion.

Right now, I believe I will be in NYC on the Sunday and Monday of that week, and then back Wednesday night thru Friday morning, so... I should be around sometime during that week.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #190 on: September 20, 2006, 05:31:27 PM »

Well... Time for me to head back to the theatre to get a report on the first act...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

« Reply #191 on: September 20, 2006, 05:36:57 PM »

Edisaurus, you'll find that Grant is one of my best friends.  

And what a talented friend to have! I could tell that Van Dyke was very fond of him and they had a vibe that spoke volumes about how much they'd worked together and could almost read each other's minds. I don't know if Grant would remember me since he was locked in a glass booth most of the time, but please tell him that the editor of "Ociee"   www.ociee.com  sends her regards. His smooth guitar licks made that session. I was awestruck when I heard that he'd be playing on our little soundtrack! Lucky us!

Actually, I was in the midst of adding Grant and other musicians to our imdb listing and saw the "Nudie" documentary and that's what led me to your site. So I owe Grant, bigtime!

We did that session at the late, lamented Cello Studios. I was sorry to see that it is no more.   :'(

Ginny

« Reply #192 on: September 20, 2006, 05:39:55 PM »

Jose - love that NewYorkology site!

Edisaurus

« Reply #193 on: September 20, 2006, 05:41:05 PM »

3 newbie questions:

How do you add your zodiac sign?

If I put my computer to sleep, am I still logged on? And is it impolite to stay logged on when you're not really there? Is it kind of like leaving the toilet seat up? Or is it more of a "if a tree falls in the woods" situation?

What is an avatar? I was complimented on mine but I'm not sure whether to feel flattered.... I would like to feel flattered....

Cillaliz

« Reply #194 on: September 20, 2006, 05:43:19 PM »

Well, it is open 24 hours, so...  You could always pop over to Dylan's Candy Bar and/or Serendipity for a frozen hot chocolate, then head back to the Apple Store for some latenight window-shopping and web-surfing.

OHH I love Serendipity - I went there last time and had a frozen hot chocolate. It was yummy

Cillaliz

« Reply #195 on: September 20, 2006, 05:44:32 PM »

Or if you have nothing better to do, go check out Sacco and Vanzetti at NYU at 6PM! (But I would be disappointed in all y'all if you *didn't* have better things to do!)

That's on Thursday, right? I would love to see it there, but a lot of us have tickets to Drowsy Chaperone that night.

Ginny

« Reply #196 on: September 20, 2006, 05:45:08 PM »

OHH I love Serendipity - I went there last time and had a frozen hot chocolate. It was yummy

Oh, yes, Serendipity, too!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #197 on: September 20, 2006, 05:47:03 PM »

3 newbie questions:

If I put my computer to sleep, am I still logged on? And is it impolite to stay logged on when you're not really there? Is it kind of like leaving the toilet seat up? Or is it more of a "if a tree falls in the woods" situation?

What is an avatar? I was complimented on mine but I'm not sure whether to feel flattered.... I would like to feel flattered....

1) If I remember correctly, you get your zodiac sign automatically when you put in your birthday (although, I don't know if it requires the year for those who don't wish to divulge that information ;)).

2) Once you close your browser, you do not show up as logged in.  The "stay logged in" option is just so that you don't have to enter your password whenever you come to the site.

3) Your avatar (and I learned this on this here site) is your picture, which you've already added. :)

;D

« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 05:49:32 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #198 on: September 20, 2006, 05:48:53 PM »

3 newbie questions:

If you go to "edit profile" at the top of the page and add you birthday, it will add your horoscope and will add your birthday to the calendar so everyone will send you wishes when the day arrives.  An avatar is your picture, feel flattered

Ginny

« Reply #199 on: September 20, 2006, 05:49:43 PM »

DR Edisaurus - you can be sure if we'd met you sooner and weren't already committed to The Drowsy Chaperone that night, we'd have an HHW contingent there!

BTW - your avatar is the photo or, in my case, cariacture that appears under your name in all your posts.  I think, if you add your birthday to your profile, your sign will automatically appear.   As for your etiquette question - I'm the worst offender of signing on and forgetting to sign off when I go away.  So far, they haven't thrown me out for it  ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #200 on: September 20, 2006, 05:50:51 PM »

I vote for Jose leading us on a Central Park area excursion. It wouldn't require the detailed planning of last year (we know you don't have time) but you are such a wonderful tour guide. It would be very fun.

Edisaurus

« Reply #201 on: September 20, 2006, 05:51:41 PM »

On the Nudie Musical DVD first pressings, the soundtrack CD also includes all his arrangements of my score that we used for the documentary.

Can you buy this DVD through your site? ( I see it on Amazon.) Is the first pressing impossible to get now?

Cillaliz

« Reply #202 on: September 20, 2006, 05:52:27 PM »

If we do it Thursday we spend the day together on the tour and the evening at the theatre and the get together afterwards, sounds like a great time to me.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #203 on: September 20, 2006, 05:56:19 PM »

DR Jose, and the DRs visiting NYC --

If your group ends up at the top northeast corner of Central Park, there is a little hidden gem very close by.  It is called (I believe) the Museum of New York City.  I don't know about the hours, but they have some of the most fascinating theatre memorabilia that I have ever seen.  It is well worth the visit.

And I hope if I have the name or the facts wrong, that wiser and more handsome souls like DR Larry or DR Ben will supply the correct info.

Edisaurus

« Reply #204 on: September 20, 2006, 05:56:42 PM »

Yay! Thanks to the DR's for all your help on the HHW etiquette! I'm envious of what promises to be a good time in NY with Jose!

Edisaurus

« Reply #205 on: September 20, 2006, 05:58:31 PM »

DR Laura --  What amazes me is not only are the pictures genuinely beautiful, but who the hell knows names like " the damselfly" and "the LeopardFrog."

Well, obviously, you do ! :)

Not to mention the Morning Glory! Nice photos, DR Laura!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #206 on: September 20, 2006, 06:01:54 PM »

Edisaurus, do you use the Joan Baez "Ballad of" on the SACCO AAND VANZETTI film?  It is my favorite Joan Baez.  I wore out, at least, one LP.

And when you get the chance, be sure to pick up Guy Haines latest CD.  It is phenomenal!  With all due respect to BK, Mr Haines is the real reason we all come here.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 06:02:49 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ginny

« Reply #207 on: September 20, 2006, 06:04:04 PM »

I vote for Jose leading us on a Central Park area excursion. It wouldn't require the detailed planning of last year (we know you don't have time) but you are such a wonderful tour guide. It would be very fun.

And can we go see the portrait of Eloise at the Plaza, for Lord's sake?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 06:04:22 PM by Ginny »

Ginny

« Reply #208 on: September 20, 2006, 06:05:04 PM »

Speaking of avatars, DR Ben's new one is very nice!

Edisaurus

« Reply #209 on: September 20, 2006, 06:05:59 PM »

I see where Wikipedia has a link to DR Edisaurus' Sacco and Vanzetti doc..

der Brucer

Yes, thanks to our crafty webmaster. Thanks for noticing!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up