Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 1962  (Read 27587 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« on: September 20, 2006, 12:14:10 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're pining for the good old movie days of 1962, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they've been saying they're coming home since 1962.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 12:40:23 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:1962
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 12:16:27 AM »

And the word of the day is: FUGACIOUS!

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 12:34:05 AM »

Darn! I was replying to yesterdays question from Bruce and lost it because I didn't notice the day was closed. Here it is again:

Quote from bk:
You'll be there.  Support your fellow scribes for what, pray tell?

To which I replied...
Glad that you know what I'm going to do before I do! As I said earlier, I doubt I'll go because I'm very uncomfortable in crowds of this type.

As for what the rally is all about... A quote for the WGA:
" We need to let the industry know that we are united in demanding fairness and respect, and that we will not allow them to roll back our standards."
The last part of that statement refers to the conglomerates  trying to impose the DVD formula on digital downloads.
As for the fairness and respect part, among other things,  basic benefits and Guild coverage are being denied to reality show writers. Not fair.
Twelve writers at the CW’s America’s Next Top Model have been on strike for eight weeks. This rally will show them support.

Hope this answers your questions.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 12:43:32 AM »

So, it's a private rally - nothing to do with contract renewal time - do I have that right?

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 12:53:31 AM »

So, it's a private rally - nothing to do with contract renewal time - do I have that right?

It's a WGA Rally, not private. Has to do with what I mentioned above. Not contract renewal, as far as I know.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 04:10:17 AM »

And the word of the day is: FUGACIOUS!
The USUAL ICY FOG of California's Central Valley disappeared FUGACIOUSLY once the sun rose over the Sierra Nevadas.

(Sorry, but I couldn't come up with an anagram for the adjective, had to move it into the adverbial form.  And I was so hoping to have a sentence about Gypsy Rose Lee's fugacious costume.   :-\)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 04:26:54 AM »

I've been having sooo much fun at work.

Hmmm, that sounded negative.  I don't mean it to sound that way.

Let me try explaining.

During the summer, we have an expanded staff, mainly because of the extra business we get from the summer vacationers, which is plenty.  We add staff throughout the market, particularly in the checkers (lots of girls from Russia), but also in our staff outside, who wrangle the carts from the parking lot and also double as baggers.

Well, it's no longer summer.  The girls are gone, as are our wranglers, almost to a man local high school students who are now back in school.

The exception has been Lamar, who has discontinued school, shall we say.  He replaces Kim, who was our wrangler (and Special Olympics shot-put star) but is now attending college (and we're all proud of him).

Last week, Lamar's grandmother died suddenly.

Lamar hasn't been back, which has left some of us filling in on the wrangling, mostly Chad (who usually does the numerous odd jobs that come up throughout the store) and myself.

It's a nice change of pace from checking, more physical and using a different set of muscles, lots of leg-work and pushing/pulling - checking is more like repeated lifting and step aerobics.

Yesterday, I was asked if I could come in today, which had been scheduled as a day off.  I'll be off Friday, instead.  And I'm putting in an extra couple of hours.

The only real downside is that we're in the middle of September, and it's only now that I'm getting sunburned!

And will someone please explain to me how it is that a fellow like myself, at fifty-three, has more energy than the kids who are a third my age???  No, really, the lads who usually do the wrangling constantly complain about how tired they are.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 04:29:59 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 04:30:39 AM »

Good morning, Edisaurus!  Good morning, Ben!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 04:51:36 AM »

Der B and I don't have that many films from 1962 in our DVD collection.

One that we do have in the collection might interest DR Michael Barnum: The Brain that Wouldn't Die.

I have no idea how it got in our collection, but it's there.

In contrast, the list of films from 1963 in our collection include:

The Birds
Charade
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
The Flight of the Phoenix
The French Chef (television series, selected episodes)
From Russia With Love
The Great Escape
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Mary Poppins
My Fair Lady
and Twice Told Tales (another film that might interest DR Michael Barnum)

(Isn't it convenient, to have these all in a database!)

Michael

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 05:21:17 AM »

My ask BK questions
I was watching an episode of Donny Marie's variety show you did. (The ones where you did the Mickey and Judy Babes in Arms set piece and the Li'l Abner type of sketch,)

How much of it was filmed in front of studio audience?
Does the studio where they filmed still exists and where was it I didn't recognize the name?
Did you sing live or was it memorex? (An Ella Fitzgerald reference)

Also I think that the show was trying to be Sonny and Cher for the Morman set.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 05:22:02 AM »

and as for me...

2 more days to go.
Never stop dreaming.

Cillaliz

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 05:59:08 AM »

Good morning all, just a quick hello before I go to work.  Jose, would wednesday (10-4) for and early dinner before we go to ACL work?

Cillaliz

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 06:01:39 AM »

Thanks for the support in my not smoking ordeal. Yesterday was indeed an ordeal. The lozenges seem to be working so I am  hoping for an easier day today in that department.  Better run.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 06:04:29 AM »

Oh one last thing - I was impressed with the improvement on Dancing With the Stars last night.  Tonight I want to watch it, but the 2 part American Masters on Andy Warhol starts, so, I may have to figure out how to set up my DVR to record something while I'm watching something else. It' isn't set up that way right now

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 06:07:06 AM »

Good morning, all!  I have few plans today and all are centered in and around the apartment:  I have to clean this dump for two reasons:
  1.  Time Warner Cable is delivering a new modem for the computer, and I hope this clears up the email problem.
  2.  The Library of Congress is picking up 11 cartons of music, including my full scores to the Goodspeed productions of MIRETTE and REDHEAD, DARLING OF THE DAY, and a lot more recording and concert work.

Beyond that, I have a lot of IRS materials to ship this morning, and a few bills to pay now that some money has floated into my account.

TOD:  I can only think of 9!
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Music Man
The Manchurian Candidate
Gypsy
Lolita
Dr No
How the West Was Won
Boys' Night Out

I'm sure there are other films I saw that year, since I spent every weekend in the Paramount Theatre, so they must have been grade D MBarnum films!

Speaking of our wonderful DR MBarnum, I treat him like crap on this site, and I never praise him enough: his good humor, his kindness, his good character, and his trust.  Now enough of this twaddle!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 06:36:07 AM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  It is a beautifully crisp fall day here in SW Ohio.

TOD - The Music Man is one of my all-time favorite musicals, because it was the first professional show I saw - touring company at Detroit's Riviera Theatre, with Forrest Tucker as Harold Hill - when I was 8 or 9 years old.  I agree the movie is excellently true to the show.  Of course, the fact that the female lead is a Librarian resonates for me, too  ;).
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 07:41:18 AM »

Good morning!

It's an absolutely beautiful morning here. Not a cloud in the sky, and temperatures right now in the low to mid 60s.

I'm going out in awhile, and I had to really decide between shorts and jeans for today. I chose the shorts today, but I'm sure it'll be jeans tomorrow. It's supposed to get down into the 40s tonight.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 07:43:12 AM »

If I was in LA, I would be at the WGA rally.  You support your fellows scribes in their time of need, because you want them there in your time of need!  Any any attack against the Writers Guild and its goals is an attack against ALL writers.  Their time of need IS your time of need!  They knock one of us over, we become dominos.

In these days of Union-busting, it is imperative that the Guilds stick together and the individual memberships of the individual guilds stick together.  You allow the bad guys to win this one and the next time, they're coming to rollback your residuals or your healthcare or your pension.

It disgusts me that writers are always whining and expecting the Guild to be the Great and Good Santa Claus dispensing largess to their every demand, but when the union calls upon its membership to do something, those same whining members with all the demands and expectations just can't summon up the energy because its not really "their" issue, or it only "effects" this group, or some other trivial and inconsequential excuse.  

The truth is they just can't be bothered to interrupt their own petty, self-involved lives to see the long-term or the greater good.  They somehow think the Guild is seperate and apart from them and they don't need to show up.  But the simple fact is the Guild is its membership and only as strong as its membership.  It will die if its membership doesn't participate or languishes with indifference and ennui.  

I've been able to comfortably semi-retire at a fairly young age largely because of the benefits and diligence of my guild, benefits that others before me fought and bled and sacrifice for!  Because they bothered to show up and make a difference!

END OF RANT!

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2006, 07:46:09 AM »

Of the 1962 musicals (MUSIC MAN, GYPSY, JUMBO, STATE FAIR, BROTHERS GRIMM which has some songs and dances), I would pick GYPSY off the shelf, but that in no way denegrates THE MUSIC MAN which certainly comes in a strong second in my mind. Both have great DVD transfers, but the last time I saw GYPSY, I was astonished at how great that transfer was. Rich color, sharpness that approached HD, and terrific sound.

I remember pulling THE MUSIC MAN off immediately after finishing GYPSY thinking that transfer might also make my eyes pop, but while it was excellent, it didn't quite have the same "WOW" factor for me.

Does make me want to watch it again, however.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2006, 07:51:10 AM »

Have PROJECT RUNWAY tonight to look forward to. Should be interesting (and maybe surprising judging from the snippy judges' comments last week) to see which one is eliminated of the four who are left.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2006, 07:53:38 AM »

1939 was still better than 1962.

Films from 1939:

GONE WITH THE WIND
STAGECOACH
JUAREZ
ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES
DESTRY RIDES AGAIN
INTERMEZZO
WUTHERING HEIGHTS
OF MICE & MEN
GUNGA DIN
BEAU GESTE
MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON
NINOTCHKA
GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS
SON OF FRANKENSTEIN
THE LIGHT THAT FAILED
WIZARD OF OZ
PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH & ESSEX
THE WOMEN
ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS
DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK
DARK VICTORY
YOUNG MR. LINCOLN
TARZAN FINDS A SON
THE OLD MAID
HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME
MAN IN THE IRON MASK
IDIOT'S DELIGHT

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2006, 07:54:19 AM »

Any year that gives us THE MIRACLE WORKER, TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, and THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE - all masterpieces in my opinion - has got to be one of the great years in all film history (and I'm not even taking into account LAWRENCE OF ARABIA).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 07:55:13 AM »

1962....all of the titles mentioned in MR BK's notes are certainly worthy...and I would be hard pressed to stay at 10.

Hmmmm....in no particular order:

GYPSY
TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
THE MUSIC MAN
THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE
STATE FAIR
THE MIRACLE WORKER
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2006, 07:56:43 AM »

My only question about the WGA rally....which I would in all probability support - I supported AE when non-Equity tours of Broadway shows came into Indy a few years ago....

Why the hell does a reality show as insipid as AMERICA'S TOP MODEL need 12 writers?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2006, 08:07:02 AM »

Need to get ready for lunch out with friend.

WBBL.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2006, 08:08:52 AM »

JRand, how many models do you know who can talk?  

If someone's writing stuff for people to say on a show, if the concept and the construction of the show is being created, someone is writing it...and, whether it's good or bad, they deserve to fair compensation.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2006, 08:11:31 AM »

Brrrrr.  I've just caught up...and also caught just a tinge of a chill....!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2006, 08:12:13 AM »

It's Wednesday.

ONLY Wednesday.

I feel like this week has been going on forever.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2006, 08:12:38 AM »

Overkill.

That's what yesterday was for me.

Overkill.

In several ways, none I wish to repeat.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2006, 08:19:42 AM »

For ask BK Day:

Dear BK, after you've waxed, nostalgically, as you did in today's column about 1962 films, do you have any particular balm you apply to the affected areas of your body that may be objecting to said waxing?

(A smartass question....for which only a smartass answer is deserved)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up