Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 1962  (Read 27657 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:1962
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2006, 08:21:06 AM »

I don't know if I'm going to make it through this week without taking a day off.

I'm already regretting being here today....and I've been having sneezing fits this week...sometimes sneezing 15 or 16 times.

Something is definitely IN THE AIR and affecting my sinuses.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2006, 08:27:48 AM »

My 10 favorite 1962 films:

To Kill A Mockingbird
Mutiny on the Bounty
Gypsy
The Music Man
Lawrence of Arabia
Jumbo
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
That Touch of Mink
The Days of Wine and Roses
The Miracle Worker

(I'd add "How the West Was Won" but it will forever be a 1963 film in my mind.  It was only eligible for 1963 Academy Awards and went up against 1963 films for the ones it won).
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2006, 08:36:57 AM »

My only question about the WGA rally....which I would in all probability support - I supported AE when non-Equity tours of Broadway shows came into Indy a few years ago....

Why the hell does a reality show as insipid as AMERICA'S TOP MODEL need 12 writers?

Perhaps they're all former models?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2006, 08:39:52 AM »

I agree with CP's rant - one definitely SHOULD support the union. I'm a proud member of not one, but two Writers Guilds - America and Canada. And, yes, I'm still considering going to the rally, but probably won't. I said earlier that I'm "uncomfortable" in crowds of this type. That understates the case. I've on occasion had panic attacks in situations like this. This goes back to my childhood days when the protesting crowds in Budapest were shot at. The memory of this is in my gut as if it were yesterday. Of course, I know this won't happen at the Grove in LA - my mind knows that - but the part of me that starts to hyperventilate and get incredibly upset doesn't.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2006, 08:55:58 AM »

Why the hell does a reality show as insipid as AMERICA'S TOP MODEL need 12 writers?

I don't think it's a matter of whether the models can discuss philosophy or crack wise... "Reality" shows  - which actually have very little to do with reality - are written and shaped as much as any other dramatic (or comedic) show. And it's not easy!
Mr. Kimmel can speak to that - he's worked on several.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2006, 09:02:51 AM »

Good morning to Esteemed, productive, and studly BK --

I hope the errands, ventures, and chores all go smoothly today.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2006, 09:09:22 AM »

I can see that emotions run high on the "union or not" topic being tossed about.  So I think it may be best if left alone.  I think it is wonderful if any persons have had a difficulty or an unfairness, and their respective union stood up for them with some muscle and determination.

Such was not my experience on the only 2 occassions that I ever needed and asked for help from my particular union.  And this was after being a paying supportive member for about 30 years.  

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2006, 09:13:55 AM »

Predictably, The Music Man is my #1 favorite film from '62. I almost did a spit-take with my coffee this morning laughing when I read DR MusicGuy's reference to the "cross hands piece". I can't count how many times I heard, as a child, my father quoting the line "Don't dawdle, Amaryllis" to me or my brother...often with Winthrop's lisp, as we lagged behind.

That's cool, BK, that you had contact with Monique Vermont. I will have to check out the Kritzer trilogy; I'm sure it's far superior to the "Sleepaway Camp" trilogy!  ;)

I recently spent time with another child star of '62: Mary Badham, who played Scout in "To Kill A Mockingbird". I presented our "Sacco and Vanzetti" film at the Rome International Film Festival (not as exotic as it seems---it was in Rome, Georgia!) a week or so ago. It preceeded the closing night film, which was "To Kill A Mockingbird"! Mary was in attendance because she was also in the opening night film called "Our Very Own". (I wasn't there for opening night, but this film starred Allison Janney and Keith Carradine, whom I worked with a few years ago.)

It was neat to see this film in a theatre...a nice pairing by the festival director of two films about our legal system, and Mary did a Q&A afterwards. She said that she and Philip Alford, who played her brother, had no acting experience before they were cast in this. They were just kids growing up in Birmingham, AL and never expected anything to come of their auditions. Philip is now a project supervisor for a large construction firm and travels a lot. I know Collin Wilcox, who played Mayella Ewell, because she has had a theatre company in NC for many years (the Instant Theatre Company) and was able to re-connect Mary, who had lost track of Collin.

Mary also talked about how she got a ribbing (pardon the pun) for playing a ham, when her last name was "Bad-ham". She is very involved in the preservation of historic theatres in small towns (our screening was in the 1929 Desoto, one of the first talkie theatres in the South) and so we spent about an hour venting about preservation struggles we were both going through. Nice to meet a fellow comrade-in-arms!

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2006, 09:27:37 AM »

JRand, how many models do you know who can talk?  

If someone's writing stuff for people to say on a show, if the concept and the construction of the show is being created, someone is writing it...and, whether it's good or bad, they deserve to fair compensation.

I agree, if they're writing, they should be paid.  I just can't figure out what sequences they write....the beginning and the end have some words that the host reads from cards....but the rest is supposed to be the models doing the "challenges" or whatever....

Just strange to me....   :P   Of course nothing is really as it appears to be on the tube.  8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2006, 09:29:59 AM »

My ask BK questions
I was watching an episode of Donny Marie's variety show you did. (The ones where you did the Mickey and Judy Babes in Arms set piece and the Li'l Abner type of sketch,)

How much of it was filmed in front of studio audience?
Does the studio where they filmed still exists and where was it I didn't recognize the name?
Did you sing live or was it memorex? (An Ella Fitzgerald reference)

Also I think that the show was trying to be Sonny and Cher for the Morman set.

My memory is that all of it was done in front of an audience (the show your talking about was taped in Orem at their then brand-new studio - at least it was if Lorne Greene was one of the guests - if not, it was the KTLA studios in Hollywood).  All the musical stuff was prerecorded.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2006, 09:31:08 AM »

Ah - DR EDISAURUS, I think both DRs CILLA LIZ and GINNY met Ms Mary Badham last year in connection with TKAM....

DR CILLA LIZ got an autographed copy of TKAM the book from Mary for my theatre for display in the lobby during its recent production of the play version!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2006, 09:31:50 AM »

So who was more talented, Mr BK - Donny or Marie?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2006, 09:35:21 AM »

Question for ASK BK (and HHW'ers) Day.

Which "celebrity" of today do you wish would just go away? You may choose more than one.

I choose:

Jessica Simpson & her sister Ashlee
Tom Cruise
Gloria Alred
Justin Timberlake

Thank you.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2006, 09:40:40 AM »

I agree, if they're writing, they should be paid.  I just can't figure out what sequences they write....the beginning and the end have some words that the host reads from cards....but the rest is supposed to be the models doing the "challenges" or whatever....

It's not so much a matter of writing dialogue (except for the hosts, I assume) - There are hundreds of hours of film ...which must be shaped into a story. A story with suspense, pathos, humor, compelling character development...  As I said earlier, it's not real...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 09:43:51 AM by Maria »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2006, 09:42:05 AM »

Re reality shows - I don't watch the ones that are on now, the hits, but the three long-running shows I worked on (Totally Hidden Video, Penn and Teller's Bullshit, and Cowboy U) were very much put together by their writer/producers.  The structure (remember, there's no structure without someone making structure), the voice overs (in the case of Bullshit and Hidden Video) made the shows what they were, etc - all written and structured - the way reality pieces are edited - all scripted and structured by writers who've viewed hundreds of hours worth of tapes.

When I left Totally Hidden Video just prior to their final season, because after two-and-a-half years they asked me to take a salary cut because there was no management at Fox, I said that was unacceptable, and I told them they had no appreciation or even knowledge of how important what I did on that show was.  They smirked.  As I left, I told them they'd find out and that they'd be off the air within the first twelve episodes of the new season.  They smirked.  They were off the air after six shows because they got people who worked cheap but who didn't understand the mechanics of how to make the show work and what it took to do so.

That said, the money that I made on that show was incredible.  No complaints at all and that was back in the early 90s.  The money I made on Bullshit was excellent - no complaints.  The Cowboy U money - excellent, no complaints.  The only time I felt I was underpaid was when I show ran Tricks Of The Trade - that money was a little under what I was used to, but it wasn't bad.

Now, maybe it's worse on network TV (all by stuff has been for Fox or cable), but I don't see how that's the case.  However, not all writers on these shows choose to be called writers - some simply take the producer credit, as I foolishly did on Bullshit.  Had I not, one of the other producers and I would have shared in its Writer's Guild award, since we did at least half the writing on the show.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2006, 09:43:12 AM »

Which "celebrity" of today do you wish would just go away? You may choose more than one.

I choose:

Tom Cruise
Gloria Alred
Justin Timberlake

Thank you.

Your choices are fine with me, but I'd add every other celebrity.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2006, 09:44:24 AM »

Even when you're seeing interviews on reality TV shows, the questions are prepared in advance and those doing the interviewing know exactly what will be needed and they either lead in that direction or they're actually told what to say, basically.  

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2006, 10:02:59 AM »

Mel Gibson
Tom Cruise
JLO
Paris Hilton

Hmmm...That is all I can think of.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2006, 10:04:20 AM »

I loved MIRACLE WORKER. I had already been inspired by much of what HK had written, and had known of the great accomplishment of her Teacher. I still hope to be that sort of Teacher some day.

AND the first big, adult leading role I played (my small size meant I had usually played children, including Anne Frank in THE DIARY and even Miles in the Britten TURN OF THE SCREW) was Annie Sullivan in that stupendous play.
PennyO

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2006, 10:06:55 AM »

Mel Gibson
Tom Cruise
JLO
Paris Hilton

Hmmm...That is all I can think of.

Ben Affleck

Rachael Ray

Jessica Simpson

Lindsey Lohan

Britney Spears

Justin Timberlake

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2006, 10:09:52 AM »

I choose:

Tom Cruise
Gloria Alred
Justin Timberlake

Thank you.

All of these plus:
Paris Hilton  - Kathy Griffin says you can get crabs from her by just looking at her
Britney Spears
Angelina Jolie
Brad Pitt
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2006, 10:13:42 AM »

Which celebrities should just go away? Well, Liz Taylor, Babs Streisand (another comebaack??? for, ummm, political reasons???), Jane fa' chrissakes Fonda are three I'm pretty tired of. Add to that the current publicity whores. Ummm, Lindsey Lohan??? Nicole Richie?? (What does that girl DO, besides be a great man's daughter???)
PennyO

Ben

« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2006, 10:21:21 AM »

Where are Tom and Antonia? I know Antonia started her new job recently and Tom has not been feeling well. I hope they are doing well. We need them around to help greet Tom and Colin (who should be in New York sometime today).

Ben

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2006, 10:21:35 AM »

Nancy Grace!

Ben

« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2006, 10:24:52 AM »

Stephen Baldwin

Ben

« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2006, 10:27:39 AM »

Anna Nicole Smith
Whitney Houston
Bobby Brown
Heidi Klum (don't stone me Project Runway lovers)

Ben

« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2006, 10:28:35 AM »

Might as well make it a frenzy of five

Tommy Lee and Pamela Anderson

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2006, 10:32:03 AM »

I think Telly Savalas is terrific too! A long time ago, I saw him on the "telly" relate this true story ...

Telly Savalas ran out of gas late one night. A man stopped to help him, driving him to a gas station and loaning him money to pay for the gas. He asked the man to write down his name, address and phone so he could repay him the money. The next day, Telly called the number and a woman answered. She said that her husband had passed away five years before. Not wanting the woman to think that he was playing a joke, Telly visited the woman and showed her the paper where the man had written the information. She recognized the writing as that of her husband and asked him to describe the man. From the description of the clothes he was wearing, she identified the good samaritan as her husband--right down to the suit he had been buried in!

Interesting side note: Telly Savalas was Jennifer Aniston's Godfather.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2006, 10:40:38 AM »

Speaking of our wonderful DR MBarnum, I treat him like crap on this site, and I never praise him enough: his good humor, his kindness, his good character, and his trust.  

His "trust"? Do tell! What are his control words?

der Brucer (having visions of a near-naked MBarnum handcuffed to Larry's fire-escape)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2006, 10:45:34 AM »

I think Telly Savalas is terrific too! A long time ago, I saw him on the "telly" relate this true story ...

Telly Savalas ran out of gas late one night. A man stopped to help him, driving him to a gas station and loaning him money to pay for the gas. He asked the man to write down his name, address and phone so he could repay him the money. The next day, Telly called the number and a woman answered. She said that her husband had passed away five years before. Not wanting the woman to think that he was playing a joke, Telly visited the woman and showed her the paper where the man had written the information. She recognized the writing as that of her husband and asked him to describe the man. From the description of the clothes he was wearing, she identified the good samaritan as her husband--right down to the suit he had been buried in!

Interesting side note: Telly Savalas was Jennifer Aniston's Godfather.

I am intrigued by this story....except the part about Jennifer Anniston.  :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up