Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS  (Read 31077 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2006, 05:56:10 AM »

I would like a driver that plays Bollywood music...he would get a very big tip!

Is that a euphemism?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2006, 06:00:10 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
Page 2 Dance!
[/move]

Good morning, all!  I have a sitzprobe with the NIGHT OF THE HUNTER cast at 11, then laundry (hopefully), then some BRAIN surgery.

I am looking forward to DREAMGIRLS, and I look forward to seeing JACKASS 2 in the near future with wonderful DR Rodzinski.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2006, 06:07:10 AM »

DR S Woody White,
RE smoke detectors: the detectors do wear out--not just the batteries (few people mention this). They can also jam if there's been some dust about. I'd try replacing the detectors--they're cheap. They should be replaced periodically, anyway. Some building codes require that they be replaced, even during new-home construction, if they've been exposed to any dust.

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2006, 06:30:32 AM »

DR Edisauras asked a question yesterday (which i just saw).

We were talking about THE CLOSER and I mentioned that we do not get TNT in Canada.  Actually a few people may get it on satellite.

Here the show is carried on Global television. Last year it was carried on their main station. But this year their fall line-up was too full, so it is on their sister station, CH. Monday's at 10pm. Third episode tonight.

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2006, 06:34:59 AM »

Oh and re: the new show BROTHERS and SISTERS with Calista Flockhart.

I am just catching up on yesterday's posts. So i have no idea if anyone has posted their thoughts. But I wasn't thrilled with it.  I'm gonna give it another chance next week. But it just wasn't that interesting to me.  Calista was in it a lot. And i love her. But there just wasn't enough happening to keep me interested.

And on that note, i'm not sure what i thought of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES (spoilers i guess).

It was okay. But maybe i was expecting more. There was so much jam-packed into the hour, i was almost having trouble remember everything that i was supposed to know from last season.

I missed the first minute (with part of the recap). And i was actually having trouble remembering everything. I mean mike in a coma ( i forgot what had happened and that he was proposing to susan).  I also had a bit of trouble remembering exactly what had happened with lynette and that psycho mother of her hubby's child. I sort of forget he had a daughter.

Oh and is alfie off this season?

Kerry

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2006, 06:37:18 AM »

Good Morning, Boys and Girls!

Ah to be with you in New York!  Bruce, please give Larry, Ben, Ant, FJL, Skip, Jose, Tom, Colin, Cillaliz, and anyone else (Jason?, Rodinski?,etc.) big Haines hugs from me.
And one for Mahler!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 06:37:55 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2006, 06:37:23 AM »

Is that a euphemism?

DR Elmore, you are so BAD!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2006, 06:42:43 AM »

I have a question: does anyone in this community know Alan and Marilyn Bergman? My husband is going out to LA this weekend to interview them, along with Ray Evens (if he's up to it) and Henry Mancini's widow, possibly, for a documentary on Johnny Mercer. (I'll probably be editing that down the road...)

We'd like to bring them a little something in thanks for letting us take up some of their time, but don't know anything about them apart from their songwriting accomplishments.
Any ideas will be gratefully accepted!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ginny

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2006, 06:56:31 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Tried my best to wake up with a sinus headache or something not-too-serious that would justify my calling in sick, but it didn't happen.  Here I am at work, perusing professional journals and catalogs for reviews of new books that I may want to have the library order.

TOD - Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette movie.  Also, I'll give Dreamgirls a try, even though I wasn't thrilled with it on stage.  That may have been due to our seeing it at Cincinnati's dumpy Taft Theatre, with uncomfortable seats and bad, bad acoustics.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2006, 06:57:58 AM »

AND - one week from this very moment, DH Richard and I will be on a plane winging our way to New York!  I can hardly wait.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2006, 07:06:20 AM »

I wonder if the word of the day - raspberry - is in honor of the three-berry pie last night.

Cillaliz

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2006, 07:10:39 AM »

Oh and re: the new show BROTHERS and SISTERS with Calista Flockhart.

I am just catching up on yesterday's posts. So i have no idea if anyone has posted their thoughts. But I wasn't thrilled with it.  I'm gonna give it another chance next week. But it just wasn't that interesting to me.  Calista was in it a lot. And i love her. But there just wasn't enough happening to keep me interested.

Oh my goodness, we agree again!   ;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2006, 07:13:50 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Tried my best to wake up with a sinus headache or something not-too-serious that would justify my calling in sick, but it didn't happen.  Here I am at work, perusing professional journals and catalogs for reviews of new books that I may want to have the library order.

TOD - Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette movie.  Also, I'll give Dreamgirls a try, even though I wasn't thrilled with it on stage.  That may have been due to our seeing it at Cincinnati's dumpy Taft Theatre, with uncomfortable seats and bad, bad acoustics.

LOL Ginny, you and I do think alike sometimes. I did wake up with sinus and a bit of an upset stomach - don't think it's serious but I did call in sick. I'll be working here writing, so it's not a REAL sick day, but I am home.  I just went to the store and got some Claritin - I think it's allergies and the fixins for chicken soup.  I had some oatmeal and that seems to have calmed my stomach. Now if the Claritin kicks in and my head clears a little I'll get some writing done.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 07:15:18 AM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2006, 07:25:53 AM »

I watched the first two episodes of Men In Trees, and although I really liked it at first, it's such a rip off on Northern Exposure, I'm not sure I'll like it.   I mean there is the small town in Alaska, the radio show, the bartender and his female counterpart, the New Yorker who is a fish out of water, the love interest that comes close but no cigar, the angry female cop....  The problem for me is, I don't think it comes even remotely close to Northern Exposure as far as the characters, the plot line etc.   I'm going to give it a couple more episodes, but not sure I'll stick with it.

Cillaliz

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2006, 07:26:41 AM »

TOD not sure. Loved the Illusionist, at this point not really looking forward to anything

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2006, 07:32:57 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Had a nine o'clock wakeup call, but was just too tired and went back to sleep.  Since no light enters this room (there are two small windows that look out on walls between buildings, it was easy to go back to sleep.  Now I shall see about buying shoes, but I may wait until the 'morrow to jog - we shall see.

Ginny

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2006, 07:35:35 AM »

DR Cillaliz - take care of yourself and get plenty of rest before next week!

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2006, 07:40:25 AM »

BK - your descriptions of your hotel room make it sound a lot like the ones I've had at the Comfort Inn on 46th St.  When Richard and I check in there next Monday, I'm thinking of asking for a room that faces 46th St. just for some variety.

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2006, 07:41:50 AM »

Here's a book, due out November 21, that may interest some DRs:

Jennifer

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2006, 07:44:55 AM »

That is of course Alfre not alfie. :)

FJL

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2006, 07:46:56 AM »

BK -  well, to look on the bright side (which is certainly not coming throuhg your windows), at least the internet connection seems to be working OK from that hotel room.

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2006, 07:47:41 AM »

I watched the first two episodes of Men In Trees, and although I really liked it at first, it's such a rip off on Northern Exposure, I'm not sure I'll like it.   I mean there is the small town in Alaska, the radio show, the bartender and his female counterpart, the New Yorker who is a fish out of water, the love interest that comes close but no cigar, the angry female cop....  The problem for me is, I don't think it comes even remotely close to Northern Exposure as far as the characters, the plot line etc.   I'm going to give it a couple more episodes, but not sure I'll stick with it.

Ha, and we agree again. I really liked the first episode a lot. But this friday's did not keep my attention as much. I do like anne heche and will also continue to watch. But i'm not sure if i'll stick with it also.

And as for BROTHERS & SISTERS, i do think the next episode will tell more (considering the way the first show ended). But the pilot was just not too interesting.

And i'll bet we agree on a lot! :)

Ginny

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2006, 07:48:42 AM »

BK -  well, to look on the bright side (which is certainly not coming throuhg your windows), at least the internet connection seems to be working OK from that hotel room.

Which, from past experiences of DRs Danise and Cillaliz, is not something on which Richard and I will be able to count at the Comfort Inn!  We'll see...

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2006, 07:51:06 AM »

RIP - SIR MALCOLM ARNOLD

der Brucer

It is worthy of note that in 1959 Arnold composed a ballet based upon... [drum roll]

Sweeney Todd!
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2006, 07:53:02 AM »

Good morning!

I had my longest night's sleep in several months (almost 9 hours) and was so happy to get it. I awoke to a very cool morning (thankfully) and overcast skies. Looking forward to fall temps continuing. I love it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2006, 07:58:09 AM »

DR Jennifer, you have forgotten a lot! I wrote my feelings about both DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES and BROTHERS & SISTERS last night. Should be on the last page of yesterday's forum. We seem to agree on both shows, but I made some specific comments especially about DH.

Mike was hit by a car driven by Bree's new fiance. Alfre Woodard and her son moved out of the neighborhood and they are gone from the show.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2006, 07:59:00 AM »

I read the obit for Sir Malcolm Arnold in the enwspaper this morning. Very sad, but he seemed to have had a very rich life.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2006, 08:01:08 AM »

I noticed that the DVR had recorded THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA off Starz! at some point this weekend. With COLD CASE and WITHOUT A TRACE to watch from last night, I'm not sure when I'll get to it, especially since tonight will also feature a full slate of shows.

NBC's HEROES premieres tonight, and I'm eager to sample it. STUDIO 60's second episode got a rave review in USA TODAY this morning, and it's on tonight at 10.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2006, 08:03:52 AM »

I posted my feelings about HOLLYWOODLAND a week or so ago after I saw it. I found the Adrien Brody framing story intrusive as the George Reeves' mystery was certainly complex enough to carry the film. Diane Lane was brilliantly cast as Toni Mannix as was Bob Hoskins as Eddie Mannix. Ben Affleck gave an affecting performance as George Reeves, but he's ten years too young to play George Reeves at that point in his life, and no amount of makeup can hide that fact.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2006, 08:05:32 AM »

Yo, gang! Errands to run, the house appraiser to let in at 10, and then off I go into my new life as a full-time student!  Envy for the NY sojourn!

Must run - have fun!
PennyO
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up