Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: A HARD DAY'S NOTES  (Read 17469 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:A HARD DAY'S NOTES
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2006, 10:43:58 AM »

I would immediately put OKLAHOMA! and CAROUSEL on the list for Tony Awards since they both pre-dated the Tonys and you just can't get much better than either of them. I'd add WEST SIDE STORY to the list and GYPSY, neither of which won the Tony the year of eligibility.

I'd also put FOLLIES there though many wouldn't call it perfect. When I saw it at the Winter Garden, "perfect" wasn't a strong enough word to give to my evening.

I'd add INTO THE WOODS here and RAGTIME.

I totally agree with all of these (even though I've never seen RAGTIME ::))

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2006, 10:51:41 AM »

INTO THE WOODS and GYPSY, yes....another vote for each of them please.

I will add AUNTIE MAME with Rosalind Russell.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2006, 10:59:27 AM »

Shows that are virtually perfect in every way - the Kimmel Tony Awards go to:

Gypsy
Li'l Abner
The Most Happy Fella
Long Day's Journey Into Night
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (NOT the current cut version)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2006, 11:47:26 AM »

Deceit! -- I know it is not a musical but it is a great play!

I agree Into the Woods deserved one also... Great musical
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2006, 11:48:20 AM »

Once On This Island and The Secret Garden are shows that 'd want to win Tony Awards® ;D

They were originally up against each other and Miss Saigon, but The Will Rogers Follies was the big winner that year.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2006, 11:49:04 AM »

You want to be one of these ladies?:

An Irish Sea Faery

Her Legend:

She has a tail like a fish, and her fingers are webbed. The word merrow means seamaid. The Mermen, they say, have green teeth and are ugly. But the women are beautiful.

Merrows are closely related to Selchies - the seal people. In fact, she sometimes travels through the sea in a sealskin cloak, which she takes off on land. She is also said to wear a red cap.

There are many ancient and wonderful mermaid tales. Legend has it that when the merrow comes ashore, she takes off her sealskin cloak. Any mortal who finds it has power over the merrow. Thus, in many legends, she is forced to marry a human man and live on land.

She may lend her red cap to a human, so he can swim with her under the sea. She may even grow to love him, and have children by him, but she will forever miss the sea.

She cannot return to the sea until she has her cloak. Once she finds it, she will be gone. Anyone see "The Secret of Roan Innish?"
[/size]

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2006, 11:58:48 AM »

I guess my most perfect movie would be LOST HORIZON, casting, settings, music, and story....  

The original Capra or the 1973 remake?

(WARNING: THIS IS A "GOOD TASTE" TEST!)

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2006, 12:01:10 PM »

Once On This Island and The Secret Garden are shows that 'd want to win Tony Awards® ;D

They were originally up against each other and Miss Saigon, but The Will Rogers Follies was the big winner that year.

I've seen all four; I won't opine on which one should have won - sufficeth to say it is NOT "Will Rogers".

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2006, 12:13:43 PM »

They have identified the Colorado school shooter.

DIGUSTING DETAILS

This part is particuarly troubling:
Morrison apparently dressed himself like a student and walked around the school before taking any hostages.

"We knew there as kind of something wrong with the guy when we had seen him ... it's a small community where we know everybody," student Joshua Bellomy told FOX News. "He was trying to blend in with us but some of the students there tried to talk to him and knew that he was older and didn't know what was going on with him."

This guy:

got to "blend in" with the students? Just what does it take to scare kids nowadays?

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2006, 12:17:17 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I'm back at my parents' house for a bit...  More schools locked down in Michigan and Florida... :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2006, 12:15:05 PM »

The original Capra or the 1973 remake?

der Brucer

My chosen flick did NOT feature tunes by Hal and Burt....does that help?  :P
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2006, 12:15:46 PM »

I stood upon the kitchen stoop - and this is what I saw:

Woody's Morning Glories (who can't tell the time of day)

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2006, 12:18:41 PM »

In any case...

A couple of days ago, I noticed something shiny on one of my front tires.  Upon closer inspection, I realized it was the tire itself - it was worn down to the tread.  YIKES!  So...

I just dropped my car off at NTB to get a new set of tires.  I'm not too keen about making such an investment in my car at this point and time since I'm going to "retire" it next month, but better safe than sorry - especially with at least two car trips down and back to Richmond, and at least one more up and back to NYC.  -Thankfully, the tires were also relatively cheap.

*OH!  I noticed the tire wear the same day I noticed that someone had hit my car in the theatre's parking lot.  -Of course, no one left a note.  Whoever it was, hit the left rear bumper which is plastic.  It looks like someone was pulling out, and scraped my car with their bumper.  So, it's a little "crack-y" right now, but it's still firmly secured to the car.  And the scratched up paint and dent looks worse than it really is.  People were encouraging me to get a police report for my insurance, but since my deductible is currently more than the Blue Book value of the car...  I opted to get new tires.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2006, 12:19:54 PM »

There we go...

That was really strange.... I kept trying to post, but I kept getting that annoying error message about just having posted less than 10 second ago from this IP address.  I know I don't type that fast.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2006, 12:26:48 PM »

der Brucer

You know, I have never been able to pass that  test.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2006, 12:32:37 PM »

...  More schools locked down in Michigan and Florida... :-\

Seems the Florida Incident involved some not-so-sharp shooting policmen:

The suspect showed police a fake ID, then asked if he was going to be arrested. One of the deputies said "I don't know," then the suspect ran into the nearby woods. The two deputies and a canine dog pursued the suspect, and around 12:30 p.m. ET, "numerous" shots were fired, said Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd.

"As a result of that incident, two of our deputies have been shot, the canine's been shot and the suspect's still at large," Judd told reporters shortly before 3 p.m. ET Thursday.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 12:40:02 PM by DERBRUCER »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2006, 12:34:32 PM »

My chosen flick did NOT feature tunes by Hal and Burt....

Holbrook and Reynolds wrote songs?

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2006, 12:35:52 PM »

I shall shortly be on my way to rehearsal, after which I shall return.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2006, 12:37:03 PM »

You know, I have never been able to pass that  test.

I'm sure you've been granted a life-time "Get Out Of 'Film Class' Class Free" card 8)

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2006, 12:43:54 PM »

I AM THE GOVERNMENT AND I'M HERE TO RUIN YOUR DAY!

NYC Health Department Proposes Ban on Trans Fats
Wednesday, September 27, 2006

NEW YORK — Three years after the city banned smoking in restaurants, health officials are talking about prohibiting something they say is almost as bad: artificial trans fatty acids.

The city health department unveiled a proposal Tuesday that would bar cooks at any of the city's 24,600 food service establishments from using ingredients that contain the artery-clogging substance, commonly listed on food labels as partially hydrogenated oil.

Artificial trans fats are found in some shortenings, margarine and frying oils and turn up in foods from pie crusts to french fries to doughnuts

der Brucer (who carefully reads all the bread labels search for products WITH preservatives added - sick and tired of throwing away half-loaves of bread!)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2006, 12:51:12 PM »

I DID NOT POST THIS LINK!

der Brucer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2006, 01:14:46 PM »

I had a wonderful good-bye lunch at the Athens Restaurant. A sign on the door said they were attempting to find another venue and re-open, but that often does not happen here when restaurants close after a long time. There's something about a time and place that seems special and can't be recaptured in another venue.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2006, 01:19:26 PM »

And I found THE WILL ROGERS FOLLIES infinitely more entertaining than MISS SAIGON or THE SECRET GARDEN. I loathed MISS SAIGON (dreary score, overproduced, and a soapy book that sought to seem important but was merely derivative), but THE SECERT GARDEN had superb moments amid some tedious ones. WILL ROGERS was not meant to be anything but pure entertainment from beginning to end, and I found it totally disarming. Not a great show but a great entertainment.

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2006, 01:23:57 PM »

I finished watching the GREY'S ANATOMY that I had begun last night before switching over to prime time TV. Then, I went back to the Super Bowl episode and its follow-up, and rewatched them with the audio commentaries on. The writer-producer made some very interesting comments on her approach to the writing of these episodes. The director (Peter Horton) and film editor were also there to add expertise to the experience of putting these two memorable shows together.

Really enjoyed hearing about their working relationships.

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2006, 01:26:09 PM »

Then I watched last night's CSI: NY. Two cases of equal weight. One involved three female jewelry store robbers dressed as Holly Golightly getting away with a fortune in gems. That story didn't go where I expected at all.

The other involved a mummified body found in an abandoned building. It was the lesser of the two cases through it had some interesting facets to it as well.

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2006, 01:39:19 PM »

I just read that NBC has decided not to run CROSSING JORDAN in the Friday 8 p.m. time period as originally intended this season. Instead, they're priming a game show called "1 Vs. 100" to go in that slot and saving JORDAN for utility duty later (similar to MEDIUM and SCRUBS, two other known quantities being held back until needed).

My guess is that JORDAN will be inserted into the Wednesday at 10 time slot now occupied by KIDNAPPED. Last night's ratings were down 25% from the season premiere, a distant third in the time period, and NBC will never settle long for that kind of rating on such an important night. I'm guessing that KIDNAPPED will be NBC's first cancellation of the new season.

BTW, JUSTICE's rating was up a little bit last night from the previous week, so it bought itself a little more time.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2006, 01:45:02 PM »

I had a splendidly splendid tw0-and-a-half hour luncheon with Mr Rodney Gilfry who is dazzlingly handsome in person and an absolute delight.  We dished those we knew in common and trashed our enemies.  The chicken salad at Cafe Fiorello was also superb.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2006, 02:03:48 PM »

Cafe Fiorello!  I'd been trying to think of the name of that restaurant - it's where my niece and I went after seeing the Illinois State University Wind Ensemble concert at Alice Tully Hall.  Thanks, DR Elmore!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2006, 02:12:38 PM »

Off to clean the bedroom areas, then back to Eileen Heckart's life and times, and then an OVERFULL evening of prime time TV.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 02:13:13 PM by Matt H. »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2006, 02:55:16 PM »

Good Afternoon!

WHOA!!!

A big line of thunderstorms is currently moving through the DC area... Lots of red patches on that radar maps.  And outside my window here, it looks like quite the downpour.  -And those poor TV reporters who have been giving on-the-spot reports - sometimes an umbrella is not enough.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up