Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: A HARD DAY'S NOTES  (Read 17470 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A HARD DAY'S NOTES
« on: September 27, 2006, 10:08:57 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes needed a kick in the pants, and now it is now time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently getting a kick in the pants.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 08:53:06 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:A HARD DAY'S NOTES
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 10:10:37 PM »

And the word of the day is:  AFFLATUS!

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 10:12:48 PM »

Hello Everyone!

You can not say I did not warn you about the spamming....

I need to find a 5-10 minute movie clip that is inspiring or full of meaning or that I just plain like, and I have one week to do it. I thought that this would be a good opportunity to see some new movies that I have missed out on in the last 90 years. Any reccomendations of must see movies with one really good scene?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 10:14:42 PM by Adriana Patti »
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Adriana Patti

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 10:13:42 PM »

A  flatus ...a smelly flatus...?
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Adriana Patti

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 10:15:10 PM »

btw for anyone who missed it

I BURNED MY FINGER AND IT BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURNS!!!!!!
-Thomas Edison

Adriana Patti

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 10:20:29 PM »

Where is all the divine afflatus I have come to expect from the DR's???!!!
-Thomas Edison

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 10:21:39 PM »

Two wonderful scenes - the homecoming sequence from The Best Years Of Our Lives - it's about ten minutes overall, maybe a bit more, but you could just use the Homer section of it.  One of the most moving, greatest scenes ever.

The finale of The Miracle Worker.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 10:22:57 PM »

Dakota posted:

I was considering changing mine also but not sure what I want for mine...

Should I trim-up this Celtic Warrior for you?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Adriana Patti

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 10:23:30 PM »

TY Bruce!
-Thomas Edison

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 10:24:38 PM »

You should watch the whole of Best Years - one of the greatest movies ever made - the homecoming sequence occurs about ten minutes into the film (it begins in the cockpit of an airplane with the three returning soldiers).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 10:25:08 PM »

That sequence also features some of the greatest filmmusic ever written for the screen, by Mr. Hugo Friedhofer.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 10:27:01 PM »

AFFLATUS?

Isn't that this Insurance Company duck?

der Brucer

Adriana Patti

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 10:27:23 PM »

You should watch the whole of Best Years - one of the greatest movies ever made - the homecoming sequence occurs about ten minutes into the film (it begins in the cockpit of an airplane with the three returning soldiers).

I never watch just a section of a movie or read only a few pages of a script...so certainly...making a trip to the grand central library this weekend!
-Thomas Edison

Adriana Patti

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 10:28:55 PM »

yay post 42! I have found the anwser and passedt it!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 10:29:13 PM by Adriana Patti »
-Thomas Edison

DERBRUCER

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 10:33:31 PM »

Disney takes a bullet for MGM/Turner!

TRAIL OF TERROR

Iran TV: 'Pirates of Caribbean' a Zionist plot
Campaign links Disney to Jews, says 'Aladdin' denigrates Arabs

A new campaign on Middle East television tells viewers that Disney is linked to Zionism and its newest "ammunition" is "Pirates of the Caribbean," the popular movie starring Johnny Depp.
According to translations released by the Middle East Media Research Institute, the studio also used its "Aladdin" animated series to denigrate Arabs.

"Disney and its productions have been associated, more than anything, with the Zionist lobby in Hollywood," the report says. "In 1995, when the pro-Zionist Jews were 2.5 percent of America's population, they made up 7.7 percent of Disney's board of directors.
"This clearly influences the content of this large company's productions, as well as its policies and guidelines. The 'Aladdin' animated film series is one example of Disney creations that present Arabs in a negative light,"

Prof. Hasan Bolkhari, a cultural adviser to the Iranian Education Ministry, told Iran's Channel 4 the Tom and Jerry cartoon is a Jewish conspiracy.

An excerpt of that video also was made available by MEMRI then.

"The Jewish Walt Disney Company gained international fame with this cartoon," said Bolkhari. "It is still shown throughout the world. This cartoon maintains its status because of the cute antics of the cat and mouse – especially the mouse."

der Brucer

Adriana Patti

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 10:33:39 PM »

OK im going to go to bed and tommarrow I will be back on with an unpixilated picture and a DEMAND for more movie titles! TTFN!
-Thomas Edison

DERBRUCER

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 10:44:39 PM »

Some snippets from an enjoyable article at TIME.COM

Pythonostalgia!
How Britain?s Flying Circus went from trailblazing satire to cuddly Broadway hit
By RICHARD CORLISS

And this Saturday, Spamalot opens at the Palace Theatre in London's West End. The Pythons, who can be expected to show up for that opening night (as they did in New York), will finally have come home. And full circle. Or they will if they make a film based on the show that was based on their film. They could call it Cameralot.

Once the Pythons were comedically dangerous. Thirty years later, in part because they schooled the Western world in their brand of sublimely silly comedy, the rebels have inevitably become a nostalgia act. So, what changed between the Holy Grail film and the Spamalot show? Idle codified and cute-ified the old loopy, spiky surrealism. The show is so mainstream it's arrière-garde. It's been polished and burnished, pressed and dry-cleaned, into a Broadway musical that is super-ingratiating — don't risk, can't miss.

Another thing about the Beatles and the Pythons: both could be called musical comedy acts. Just as the Fab Four made humor a crucial part of their appeal, so the Pythons frequently used songs in Flying Circus ("Eric the Half-a-Bee," "The Lumberjack Song," "Dennis Moore") and their films. Idle's blithely idiotic ditty, "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life," helped make Life of Brian that rare Crucifixion movie you could hum your way out of. And the Jones-Palin anthem from The Meaning of Life ("Every sperm is sacred / Every sperm is great / If a sperm is wasted / God gets quite irate") could be choraled today by half the U.S. Senate. These musical interludes set the Monty-men firmly in the tradition of the English variety show, as well as making Spamalot less a break with the Python spirit than a natural continuation of it.

Idle remains the most boyish of the group, with a sense of humor unabashedly adolescent, both pleasing and easy to please. His love of verbal play is so intense it seems like a bright boy's first passion at discovering the worlds in words — the alternate, funhouse universes that language could create.

Until the late '50s, popular British humor came from the working class. Spike Milligan, Peter Sellers and Harry Secombe, the Goons whose wild radio comedy enthralled all classes (Prince Charles was a particular fan), had never gone near a university. That changed with Beyond the Fringe, a comedy revue written by and starring four recent graduates from Cambridge (Peter Cook and Jonathan Miller) and Oxford (Alan Bennett and Dudley Moore). Quite a few shapers of the national smile over the next decade or so were Oxonians, like the creators of the influential satirical magazine Private Eye, who had first convened at at Shrewsbury, Palin's private school. And Palin was at Oxford with Terry Jones.

But no athletic dexterity could match the gyrations of Cleese's barbed satire, such as a skit "about a dog that has got trapped somewhere and people were being killed in the hundreds trying to rescue it." His 6ft.4in. frame nurtured a majestic scorn, whose clipped syllables instantly evoked centuries of institutionalized English sarcasm and sadism in the form of teachers and civil servants. He could apply this furious condescension to petty bureaucrats, a cheese or parrot shop customer, a professional arguer — almost anybody.
This choleric temperament would define Cleese's post-Flying Circus personality: as Basil Fawlty in his Fawlty Towers sitcom; as the martinet sergeant in the film of Peter Nichols' Privates on Parade; and, right now, in Spamalot, as the Voice of God. When Arthur cravenly compliments Him on the notion of a quest for the Grail, Cleese the Almighty bellows in that distinct and cutting tenor: "Of course it's a good idea. I'm God, you stupid tit."

To get them singing along, give them a lazily catchy tune from famous Eric — an idle idol-Idle idyll.

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 11:07:37 PM »

Good Morning!

DR FJL - Thanks for the assist.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 11:08:11 PM »

...Or was that more of a save?

???
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 11:20:28 PM »

Matt's HDTV reading for the day, from TMZ

Rosie, Stern and Britney Are the "Worst Looking"
Posted Sep 27th 2006 12:16PM by TMZ Staff

Rosie O'Donnell has been named the "worst looking" celeb in High-Definition TV according to Phillip Swann of TVPredictions.com, a website that covers the HDTV industry.

HDTV is known for its crystal clear reception and, much to Hollywood's chagrin, its ability to pick up every line, wrinkle and crevice on a star's face.

Swann says "no one enjoys the view of Rosie in high-def" and adds that she "looks like she uses a Brillo pad" to wash her face.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 11:21:02 PM by DERBRUCER »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2006, 11:46:25 PM »

yay post 42! I have found the anwser and passedt it!

Congrats on the milestone!!  But, as always...what's the question?? ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2006, 04:06:30 AM »

Casey would waltz
With his strawberry muse
Who inspired the AFFLATUS of his feet.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2006, 05:48:04 AM »

Good morning, all!  I had to watch the PROJECT RUNWAY episode when I got back.  I wasn't in bed until after 1 AM, and I sit here wondering why I feel like a Val Lewton zombie.

I have to go to Toyland this morning, then lunch wth Mr Gilfry.  After that, I shall come home, veg out a bit, and then set to work on my brain surgery.

I have no TOD comments at the moment, but perhaps I shall later.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2006, 05:57:44 AM »

Good morning.  Everyone els inthe office will be in late this moirning so  I thoought I would take the opportunity to pop in and say Howdy!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2006, 05:58:05 AM »

Howdy!

vixmom

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2006, 05:59:26 AM »

I miss you all terribly.

Nice to see Adiranna Patti is back, you have been missed.  DR Edisaurus seems a wonderful additon to the group I hope to get to know her better!

SO... who all will be at dinner after Starfighter on Saturday night?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 06:08:01 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2006, 05:59:53 AM »

Break a leg Starfighter peoples!!

vixmom

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2006, 06:00:04 AM »

Bye!!!!

vixmom

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2006, 06:06:57 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]VOICE VIBES TO BK!!!![/move]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 06:07:20 AM by vixmom »

Ginny

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2006, 06:34:03 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!

Well, I don't know if it was MSG or the "power of suggestion" when Richard complained of an upset stomach, but I was nauseous most of the night, so I've stayed home today.  Better we feel icky here at home this week than in NYC next week...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up