Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FIVE, SIX, SEVEN, EIGHT!  (Read 18418 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:FIVE, SIX, SEVEN, EIGHT!
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2006, 09:20:16 AM »

As I reported here a month ago, or so, I saw "A Chorus Line" here in the Bay Area...and it was PHENOMENAL.

But then, my memory is not colored by the original.  Although I was surrounded by folks who'd seen the original many times and thought this production splendid.

No "Follies" has ever been spared tongue-lashing, no "Damn Yankees", no "Chicago", no "Pajama Game" -- no "anything" in revival when viewed by those with magical memories of the original.

That is why this production will most likely succeed with those who've never seen the show.

This, however, does point up a problem I have with remakes of classics....it's nearly impossible to sit and objectively watch something one is familiar with without comparing it to the first version one saw.  And that really kills any possibility of objectivity, IMO.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 09:23:12 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2006, 09:36:09 AM »

So true, Ron. It is human nature to want to see something capture the same spirit and magic as when you first saw it. There is also the weight of history and expectation. I've never seen A CHORUS LINE in any form, but I've heard enough that I expect some revelation when/if I see it. But luckily, I don't have anything to judge it against.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2006, 09:36:30 AM »

Grand re-opening soiree vibes to Indy's own JRand!

Ginny

« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2006, 09:46:43 AM »

DRs Rodzinski & TPunk - you just provided me my first-ever youtube experience.  It was fun!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2006, 09:47:43 AM »

bk - Well... I believe I'm seeing A Chorus Line next week myself, so...  I'll leave my comments - and "suspicions" until then.

Tuesday night with DH Richard and me?  Wednesday night with DRs Cillaliz and jhvw?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2006, 09:51:41 AM »

I'm at work right now and super looking forward to seeing The Last Starfighter and dining at Joe Allen's!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2006, 09:52:47 AM »

As Rodzinski said, a friend offered us tix for A Chorus Line tonight but we'd rather have dinner.  I'm sure we'll have another opportunity to go so it was an easy decision.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2006, 09:56:36 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

I woke up with a case of the sniffles, so... :-\ *I think it's just part of my usual morning fog, and since I ended up sleeping in(!) today...
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2006, 09:57:19 AM »

TPunk! Is that you? You could probably do a better job describing that Fall For Dance thing we saw last night than I did.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2006, 09:58:10 AM »

DR FJL - So sorry about my indecision - and thinking "out loud".  There really is no way I can make it up to NYC today, so no Joe Allen for me tonight.  -I shall call you momentarily.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2006, 09:58:47 AM »

Well.. I need to get ready to head in for the matinee - and call DR FJL - so...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2006, 10:02:35 AM »

Ginny is no longer a youtube virgin!

Ginny

« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2006, 10:13:19 AM »

Ginny is no longer a youtube virgin!

;D

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2006, 10:27:05 AM »

“And every one of us has to face that day/ Do you cross the bridge or do you fade away?/ And every one of us that ever came to play/ Has to cross the bridge or fade away.”

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2006, 10:29:46 AM »

You think Hercules had troubles with cleaning stables? Try advising on a Log Cabin Republicans Press Release on the Foley Fiasco!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2006, 10:34:30 AM »

Back from performance one, which, for my money, was better than yesterday - everyone seemed more relaxed today and with it, and even the occasional flubs were not too bad (including one-and-a-half flubs for my very own self).  The original "Otis", Bill Parry, was in the audience today.  I left immediately after - I knew if I stayed that I'd keep yapping and I'm just going to rest Ye Olde Voice now for three hours.  But, I feel okay, and not nearly as hoarse as last night.  The director was very complimentary to me at intermission.  Yesterday, he gave me my favorite sort of direction - smile more.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2006, 10:49:52 AM »

Why is everyone sitting there like so much fish?  Did I spy Ben at today's show?  I didn't see him afterwards, so maybe it was a lookalike.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2006, 10:50:27 AM »

Some of my faves:

Dance At The Gym - West Side Story
76 Trombones - The Music Man
Turkey Lurky Time - Promises, Promises
Steppin' To The Bad Side - Dreamgirls
Hello, Dolly! - Hello, Dolly!
Without You - The Happy Time
You're Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile - Annie

Although I can think of a half dozen songs titled "Without You", the one sung by Mike (sic) Rupert and his classmates in The Happy Time is called "Without Me".

Picky, picky, picky.  Whadayawant, I'm a college perfesser!
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2006, 10:50:54 AM »

Last night's fall for dance concert rocked.  My favorite piece was by the Pennsylvania Ballet Company who performed selections from 11:11 with music by Rufus Wainwright which was beautiful and joyful and dramatic and could have gone on forever.

Second favorite piece was a duet by the Dutch National Ballet entitled Before After which was impassioned and sometimes aggressive.  The theme of the number was before and after the end of relationship.  It definitely conveyed the theme and was at times quite raw with the male and female pair stripping off their top layers until they were topless at the end.  Definitely not gratuitous but very shocking nonetheless.

A close third was excerpts from Last Supper at Uncle Tom's Cabin by the Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company.  Dancers were of all shapes, sizes and ethnicities.  Very stark and electric to watch.  Favorite, most moving part for me was the entrance of a totally nude dancer who drew comparisons to a Christlike figure in his dancing at one time lying on the floor in a crucifiction pose and then being "whipped" by another dancer, the chorus providing the sound effect by clapping.

The entire evening was great, I also enjoyed the traditional Korean dancing by the Yi-Jo Lim Sun Dance Company- very colorful with flags and fans, and the Trisha Brown Dance Company Set and Reset- amazing modern dance.

The festival is mostly sold out but I saw folks selling tickets outside the theater so I may try to go back again.

Ginny

« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2006, 10:51:02 AM »

Has anyone heard from DR Tomovoz?  Weren't he and Colin due in the Seattle area this weekend?

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2006, 10:53:31 AM »

Well I just stopped oin for quick hello... I must get the Vixter and myself ready to trek into the city for the evening's festivities!  YAY!!!!!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ginny

« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2006, 10:56:58 AM »

Well I just stopped oin for quick hello... I must get the Vixter and myself ready to trek into the city for the evening's festivities!  YAY!!!!!!!

Have fun, fun, fun, DR Vixmom!  Will YOU take some pictures?

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2006, 10:58:47 AM »

Have fun, fun, fun, DR Vixmom!  Will YOU take some pictures?

I have been takingh picutres... what I have been remiss in is downlaoding said pictures and posting them... I will try and do better in this field!!

I am looking forward to seeing you on Thursday!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2006, 11:08:54 AM »

I sort of wish these performances had been not so far apart today.  I'll go out in a little while and take a little walk, then get my final cuppa tea for this trip (I cannot tell you how much I loathe tea), then relax until around four-ten, at which point I'll mosey on back for performance two.

And then I pack, and then it's Joe Allen for a wonderful partay.

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2006, 11:10:03 AM »

...I am looking forward to seeing you on Thursday!!!

Likewise  :D !

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2006, 11:28:39 AM »

The Joe Allen partay sounds like great fun. But no Greek dancing...
Last night DD - who is here on business (a hard concept for me to get around - my baby is here on business!)-  and I went to a Greek restaurant for dinner. The same place I went to a few weeks ago and ate what to Bruce sounded like diseased food. When I was there the first time, it was quite early - before the theater. Last night we arrived rather late --  and it was a totally different place. The joint was swinging! A Greek trio - joined by the elderly owner or manager who played everything from tambourine to clarinet (and well) was playing traditional Greek music - and "Never on Sunday" of course. The waiters - some of them young and gorgeous; others bald and not exactly kids - were dancing. One waitress was doing a mean belly dance. Diners of all ages were joining in. They came to our table and tried to get DD up, but she wouldn't go. Someone had to represent us -- so I went up, hand on the shoulders of the stranger next to me and OPA! What fun! I felt like Zorba the Hungarian! (Or Melina the Magyar!)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2006, 11:32:38 AM »

This is too frightening to even contemplate.

Oh, and for Francois - :-)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2006, 11:33:03 AM »

Two hours to go - guess I'll go get my cuppa tea now.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2006, 11:34:33 AM »

Watching a very interesting Discovery Channel show about what futurists  are envisioning for Japan - a city in the sky.  Very cool-looking, I must say.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2006, 11:40:20 AM »

Has anyone heard from DR Tomovoz?  Weren't he and Colin due in the Seattle area this weekend?

I believer "this weekend" is actually "next weekend".  They trained up to Niagara this past Monday morning... Then on to Toronto for a few days... And then they are training westward across Canada... A day or two in Vancouver, I believe... And then down to the Pacific Northwest.

Hopefully, along the way they'll find an internet cafe - or at least a free computer - and say HI.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up