News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: TEASE  (Read 26574 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TEASE
« on: October 08, 2006, 12:41:22 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were a tease, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're teasing some chickens right now.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 12:14:50 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:TEASE
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 12:43:25 AM »

And the word of the day is: ANTHROPOMORPHISM!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 12:55:24 AM »

To continue from the end of last night:  I had a bite of Ann's humongous chocolate cake and it was good...not great, but good...and HUGE!!.  Only the top layer (of the FOUR, not five) was consumed.  The other three layers were taken home to be enjoyed by Ann and Jed over the next several days...or maybe weeks. ;) Here's what the take-home cake looked like:
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 12:59:24 AM »

And finally, the last picture that I took last night.  I'm sorry that it's blurry.  There was very little light and my camera is really a phone:
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 01:18:53 AM »

And on a sad note...I did not receive BK's new book in the mail today, so I must wait until next week.

;)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 01:41:22 AM »

Edisaurus said she spent yesterday driving in north Georgia.

This is what she might have seen:

A Fall Tour of the Russell/Brasstown National Scenic Byway

Scenes along Georgia Highway Spur 180 ascending to Brasstown Bald

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 01:49:03 AM »

Our Pacific NW friends could be enjoying:

Gifford Pinchot National Forest Autumn Colors

Johnson Peak Over Packwood Lake (10/01/2004)

Fall Color  near Jumbo Peak.  Photo by Dean Lawrence

Fall Color at the Natural Bridges, Mt. Adams Ranger District.  Photo by Mario A. Isaías-Vera

10/02/2006 - Huckleberry along Forest Road 65 near Indian Heaven, Mount St. Helens in the distance.  Photo by Roger Peterson

10/05/2006 -Mountain Goats on Juniper Ridge, Cowlitz Valley Ranger District.  Bright colors of huckleberries, alpine azalea.  Photo by Tom Kogut

10/05/2006 - Fall color in the Sheep Canyon area off of Forest Road 8123.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 05:20:43 AM »

And the word of the day is: ANTHROPOMORPHISM!
Casey would waltz
With a strawberry blonde
And, due to some ANTHROPOMORPHISM,
The band's instruments all played themselves.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 05:24:00 AM »

No, der Brucer, we are not getting any goats.  I care not how much you plead, we are not getting any goats.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 05:39:59 AM »

"What strange ANTHROPOMORTHISM is this?" Willie, the juvenile Shakespearean actor mused.  "MOM'S PROP IRON HATH taken to strutting about the stage all on it's own!"

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 05:46:40 AM »

Awwww...pretty pictures, der Brucer!

We actually didn't see very many pretty colors yet...leaf season has barely started in Jasper. We had to go up to deer hunting land to find "Frog Togs", which as supposed to be the best lightweight, water-repellant outer garments on the market.

This meant that we had to go to a huge, very high end store predominately devoted to deer hunters and the accessories they require. It was full of people with tattoos, more tattoos than teeth in some cases. (Most of the tattoos were spelled correctly.)

It usually takes Greg a long time to decide what he's going to purchase so I had ample time to explore the store. I'm not sure what was the most disturbing: fake wooden rifles that the kids can carry around so they can be like daddy, or the dresses for little girls made out of camoflage material but then adorned with lace! With a matching hat that says "Daddy's Little Hunter"! If my daddy dressed me up in that crap, you can be sure I'd be hunting him down, and not with a wooden gun. Oh yes. And what if your little tyke gets lost in the woods? What then, eh? Not so cute anymore!

Uhhhh...are there any hunters in this group? Sorry if I'm offending anyone...

But the other thing that actually made me feel ill is the length (and expense!) that these people will go to to hunt deer. All these high-tech tree stands and clothing covered with a leaf-life material and a garnish that you could wrap around yourself to look even MORE like a tree, an evil, gun-wielding tree that is, plus the bags of deer chow and other attractants you can use to lure the deer into a false sense of security (or maybe even a garter belt!) and well, it seemed like the deer don't stand a chance! It was very depressing.

As an antidote to all this imagined carnage, I cracked open the new book and read the very cheerful first story, since my regular bedtime companion (I just typed that as "compainion"!) would be up until dawn prepping for his shoot.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, although it didn't make me have wonderful dreams. I mostly dreamed of cats wrestling around on top of me. Or wait...maybe it wasn't a dream! Now I'm up and will find out "How to Write a Dirty Book" (Chpater 2!).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 05:49:41 AM by Edisaurus »
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 06:02:29 AM »

Good morning, all!  I have a day filled with brain surgery and Victor Herbert, a quite eclectic mix.

I had a lovely and liesurely dinner with DRs Cillaliz and jhvw, who head west today, as do DR Ginny and DH Richard.  I have one Netflix DVD here, JEEVES AND WOOSTER, Season 2, and I believe that when I return later, I shall watch it.

I'm off to Toyland.
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ SAFE TRAVEL VIBES TO DRs CILLALIZ, jhvw, GINNY, and DH RICHARD! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 06:06:40 AM »

Der Brucer and I do not hunt.  His son-in-law does, however.  SIL doesn't go to all the extremes that you list, DR Edisaurus, but he does enjoy bagging a deer every year.  The problem is, he doesn't have the slightest idea what he should do with the carcass, being one of those people whose diet doesn't range much further than McBurgers.

So, every year, der Brucer and I get to restock our freezer with venison, which we enjoy a great deal.

It raises the SIL out of the good-for-nothing category, at least.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 06:10:19 AM »

Wait! elmo, don't go!!!

I'm up early, to leave here at 7:30 for the last marathon day of the first marathon weekend of this masters program. It's grueling - but I'm having a wonderful ttime.

During yesterday's lunch break, I sped back to the apartment to do my Anthropology exam, an open-book test, due on Tuesday. Today, I'll bring my books with me, to avoid wasting any time I might otherwise spend driving back and forth - I'll do my Logic exam (another open-book deal...) and study for the Tuesday Comm test, and start my French song Lit paper, due tomorrow, and prepare my speech, due Thursday, and study for the Wednesday Phonetics exam. Oy. What was I thinking???
PennyO

Ginny

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 06:58:46 AM »

Sunday morning greetings!  Alas, it's our last day in NYC.  Richard and I are all packed; soon we'll check our luggage here at the hotel, go to choral Eucharist at St. Thomas, have lunch at (I hope) La Bonne Soupe, make a last minute stop at the Hershey Store, and head for the airport no later than 3pm.  It's been a glorious week and I don't want to go back to Ohio.

DR George, thanks for all the photos from the get-together last night!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2006, 07:04:28 AM »

DR PennyO - hang in there, it'll all be worth it!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2006, 07:04:43 AM »

Great pictures from DRGEORGE on the NW HHW gathering.

Pictures from the NYC HHW gathering seem to be as scarce as George Zoritch's memoirs....but perhaps they are forthcoming.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2006, 07:06:15 AM »

I received my SIGNED and NUMBERED copy of a book titled HOW TO WRITE DIRTY BOOKS and have read same.  I have to work today, but will work on a review when I return home.

Hmmm....I can only say that it is VERY good....details to follow.

Am also looking for a copy of BALLET RUSSES...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2006, 07:10:35 AM »

Woohooo....just ordered BALLET RUSSES at DeepDiscountDVD for only $18.15.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2006, 07:12:49 AM »

Thanks, BK & Der Brucer for dead critter advice.  Oddly enough, I'm not smelling anything today, but I have a critter control guy who was out here earlier in the week (when we just thought something was coming and going) calling me back with an estimate to put caps on some exhaust vents, so I'll let him know about it.  

I'm hoping it was like a very small mouse and it's gone through it's rotting cycle.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2006, 07:30:32 AM »

Yup exterminator is the way to go, DR CP....

DR ELMORE did you check the title page for your inscription?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2006, 07:49:27 AM »

Nice crisp morning.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2006, 07:49:58 AM »

Off to work....

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2006, 08:22:42 AM »

Good morning!

Cool and rainy here, the kind of day one expects in October, so I'm not disappointed.

I saw in the newspaper that we're in for a warming trend over the next few days. Bah! But at least the nights and mornings will remain cool so I can open the house up and keep it tolerable here.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2006, 08:23:46 AM »

Thanks for the pics, DR George. So nice to see our HHW friends gathered together and enjoying themselves.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2006, 08:25:01 AM »

Thanks for the autum pics, DR der Brucer. They're beautiful.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2006, 08:27:17 AM »

Really have a dilemma to face with viewing choices. It's rainy, so that's put me in a mood for something serious rather than a mindless adventure like SAHARA.

I do plan to watch the documentary on the DANTE'S PEAK DVD and then watch the second disc episode, but apart from that, I'm going to select something off the shelf I've already seen and want to see again.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2006, 08:28:46 AM »

I saw PEEPER on TV at least ten years ago (maybe more) on either TBS or TNT or maybe even AMC. It was nonsensical, and I was so disheartened because it was the only Natalie Wood movie I hadn't seen, and it was so terribnle.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2006, 08:36:11 AM »

Speaking of RANCHO NOTORIOUS that bk mentioned yesterday, Fritz Lang disliked working with Marlene Dietrich (she may have loathed him, too; I can't remember). He tried and tried to get her to play a character as an over-the-hill saloon girl, and he said all she was interested in was looking beautiful, more beautiful in each set-up instead of the way she should have looked appropriate to the scene and character. He said she always dropped Von Sternberg's name saying he would have done it a certain way, so they did not get along.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2006, 08:38:16 AM »

I guess I'll head down and start looking around for something to prepare for lunch.

WBBL.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up