Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: RIGHT BRAIN  (Read 16565 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:RIGHT BRAIN
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2006, 08:26:56 AM »

Yes, DR MATTH is correct - CITIZEN COHN is a good HBO flick.  Woods is amazing as Cohn - though of course, it helps itf you've read the book.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2006, 08:34:56 AM »

I bought this is a cut-out bin but haven't watched it yet. Good to know I didn't waste my $!

I think you'll enjoy it. And, I preferred Woods' version of Roy Cohn to Al Pacino's in ANGELS IN AMERICA (though Pacino was very good. Of course, CITIZEN COHN is ALL about Cohn, and in ANGELS, Cohn has to share the story with quite a few other characters.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2006, 08:40:02 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.

Edisaurus, don't you worry about der Brucer - like many of us, he is occasionally a curmudgeon extraordinaire.  I gave The First Nudie Musical a ten, also The Creature Wasn't Nice (not that it helped), and I regularly (as you will see) ask people who enjoy my books to post their reviews on amazon.com.  Nothing wrong with it, I encourage it, and I sell books because of it.  And I ask them to do it only if they've enjoyed the work.

Point of Order is brilliant.  As is The Manchurian Candidate.  As is Advise and Consent.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2006, 08:44:31 AM »

TOD:

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (original)
Z
DR. STRANGELOVE
GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK
POINT OF ORDER
MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON
THE CANDIDATE
THE PARALLAX VIEW
And on the lighter side... BORN YESTERDAY

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2006, 08:47:18 AM »

I spent part of the morning reorganizing some cast album CDs in my office. They had gotten out of alphabetical order pretty badly, so it took a sitdown to start getting things moved around and in the proper order.

But I'm still not quite satisfied with the arrangement of some shelves, and I will continue to work on it.

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2006, 08:47:54 AM »

And now I'm off to start making preparations for lunch.

WBBL.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2006, 08:48:07 AM »

Michael S - Lovely pictures of my hometown. What were your impressions of Hungary? The people? The food? Etc....

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2006, 08:58:46 AM »

Re: last night's HEROES.

For those who watch the show, i'm curious which of the storylines are your favorites. And are there any that you aren't as interested in.

For me i love the japanese guy. He is so funny and his power is pretty big.  Although it's a bit hard for me to read the subtitles ( i don't wear my glasses in the house, so i sort of have to lean in when they come on).

I also really like the cheerleader. And i really like the guy from gilmore girls (the flying guy whose brother is running for office).

The one story that i find i am least interested in is the mother/stripper.  She's okay. But watching her dig did not really entertain me.

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2006, 09:10:28 AM »

COMMENTS ON HEROES.

It's funny i wrote that last post about HEROES without reading any of last week's comments on the show (since i had not seen the episodes till this weekend).

Well i did a search on the title (here on HHW) and was just reading DR RonP's comments.  He didn't care for the same story that was bugging me.

Oh i do like the guy who writes the comics/has the visions.

My favorite part of the show and what got me into it, i forget if i mentioned this) was the preview/promos after the first episode. It sort of tied a lot of stuff together and showed glimpses of what will happen in upcoming episodes. I don't recall seeing other shows do this (and normally i probably wouldn't like it). BUt it made me much more curious/interested in the show.  And now i think i am hooked.

Oh and i LOVE LOVE LOVE the new hero (the police guy from ALIAS who can hear people). I can't believe i forgot to mention him. He is my favorite.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 09:27:07 AM by Jennifer »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2006, 09:11:39 AM »

And now I'm off to start making preparations for lunch.

WBBL.
I could use a good recipe for preparations.  Can you use leftovers?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2006, 09:12:04 AM »

Tonight on tv we have DANCING WITH THE STARS (moved here on the Canadian channel to saturdays/no idea why), GILMORE GIRLS, and VERONICA MARS.  Oh and a new BOSTON LEGAL.

And here they are showing the first two episodes of NINE (have not seen it yet). I'm assuming they are showing last week's show followed by tomorrow's show. Weird.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2006, 09:15:02 AM »

Edisaurus, don't you worry about der Brucer - like many of us, he is occasionally a curmudgeon extraordinaire.

I like der Brucer, (although we obviously have vastly different political leanings!) and to placate him, I have even taken "Bowling for Columbine" off my list. Now may I play my cross hands piece?

I'm glad he posted that, because it prompted my partner-in-film and I to both vote for our film, and while there, voted for TFNM as well! Hey, maybe we'll make it to #1 (hopefully with no bullet...) I have to wonder who under 18 would have boted for that film, however!

I guess you heard "The Internationale" aplenty when you were watching "Reds". Good topic today!

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2006, 09:23:15 AM »

BK, you had me at Boton Rice Candy! I am loving your new book! I wish I had the time to sit down and read it at one sitting.

("Read it? I devoured it!" Name that film/play)

Then again, I like savoring each chapter, not unlike that mile high chocolate cake that was documented earlier.

I have loved Botan Rice Candy since my father took me to Chinatown when we lived in Seattle. The thing that was so special about it to me, beyond the amazing toy, was that you could eat the cellophaney wrapper. I used to buy it whenever I saw it (which until recently was very rare here in GA) and enjoy sharing it with friends who would try to peel off the wrapper and then shock them by forgoing the unwrapping and pop the whole thing into my mouth!

You are right about the decline in quality of the toys. They used to be cute, tiny little sponge animals or something else equally as tiny. Then they downgraded to stickers and press-on tattoos. Now, as you say, the toys may have vanished all together. But the box has never changed!

Thanks for the memories...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2006, 09:25:12 AM »

And of course, the use of the word "lurid" in the title story, well,
'nuff said!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2006, 09:30:51 AM »

I like der Brucer, (although we obviously have vastly different political leanings!) and to placate him, I have even taken "Bowling for Columbine" off my list. Now may I play my cross hands piece?...
Here's an idea for a movie marque double bill:

Bowling for Columbine
and
Kingpin

;)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 09:31:26 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2006, 09:32:43 AM »

Edisaurus, glad you're enjoying it and read on, MacDuff!  And, of course, when you're through, do write a review at amazon :-)

Edisaurus

« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2006, 09:33:07 AM »

Here's an idea for a movie marque double bill:
Bowling for Columbine
and
Kingpin

I was thinking that marquee combos could make a fun topic for a later date. That's a good one!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 09:33:54 AM by Edisaurus »

Edisaurus

« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2006, 09:40:12 AM »

Edisaurus, glad you're enjoying it and read on, MacDuff!  And, of course, when you're through, do write a review at amazon :-)

My father used to always quote "Play on, MacDuff, like that, in different contexts. He even named one of our dogs Duffy. I think you would have liked my father!

But of course I will write a review! I am also going to write one for "New Guy In Town"...it hasn't been out of my CD player since I got it. It is a treasure for those who appreciate good songwriting and the talent to deliver it!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2006, 09:46:28 AM »

TOTD:

Manchurian Candidate
Fahrenheit 9/11
Bowling for Columbine
Primary Colors -- the book was better
Dr. Strangelove
In the Name of the Father
Michael Collins
Some Mother's Son
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2006, 09:49:16 AM »

Another film with political overtures but much more overtly was a program from BBC Northern Ireland called Hanging Gael.

It is about the Great Hunger and the landowners handling the situation and the indifference of the British government. Despite being a BBC Northern Ireland production, it was actually banned for a while from distribution.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2006, 09:52:08 AM »

New Guy In Town can USE some reviews.

FJL

« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2006, 10:00:17 AM »

A marquee combo I've wanted to see is

A BIG HAND FOR THE LITTLE LADY
and
KING KONG

FJL

« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2006, 10:01:33 AM »

Or

THE STING
and
AS BEES IN HONEY DROWN

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2006, 10:04:18 AM »

And a happy anniversary to our very own Skip and Fred!  Now, why isn't Fred reading a book?

FJL

« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2006, 10:07:20 AM »

I was going to write a NEW GUY IN TOWN review on amazon, but then I saw that I already did one, under a clever pseudonym ("Freddie" - no one would ever make the connection.  :) )  

Why only 1 person voting that my review was helpful, though?

FJL

« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2006, 10:12:31 AM »

LAST STARFIGHTER could use some reviews on Amazon, too.  But you don't see me bringing that up.

:)

FJL

« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2006, 10:15:33 AM »

There's a rumor afoot that the Barbra Streisand concert at Madison Square Garden is comping like crazy.  Anyone here get offered any?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2006, 10:16:46 AM »

and very controversial documentary...

Hang Up Your Brightest Colours: The LIfe and Death of Michael Collins

It was originally banned from distribution for 20 years!  It was originally done in 1972 and not aired until 1992. It is a documentary about Michael Collins, the Irish patriot. It interviewed a number of survivors of the Easter Rebellion.

The other documentary is called The Shadow of Béalnabláth

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2006, 10:18:31 AM »

Anniversary vibes to Skip and Fred....

FJL

« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2006, 10:20:03 AM »

Soemthing is telling me I must see page 4 before the anniversary lunch.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up