Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WHITENING STICK  (Read 36321 times)

Ben

Re:THE WHITENING STICK
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2006, 05:13:12 AM »

This is not "gangster" (or gansta) related but it does have something to do with "Numbers" Moore. So it is in his honor that I post this information courtesy of Playbill On-Line. To paraphrase the Beatles, "It was 103 years ago today.":

Today in Theatre History: OCTOBER 13

By Robert Viagas and Sam Maher and Ernio Hernandez

13 Oct 2006

October 13, 1903 Victor Herbert's operetta Babes in Toyland opens on Broadway, introducing the songs "I Can't Do the Sum," "Go To Sleep" and "The March of the Wooden Soldiers." The latter will be adopted as the title of a 1930s film version, starring Laurel and Hardy.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2006, 05:16:32 AM »

That's better than being blinded by his buns of steel!   ;D

Still...blinded...

Must use braille method to evaluate buns of steel....
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2006, 05:17:06 AM »

...I had no idea that calypso and rock and roll ever bred...
Their love child is called Reggae.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Edisaurus

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2006, 05:19:55 AM »

DR EDISAURUS - this is a fine day for your screening.  No need to suffer from what DR CILLA LIZ mentioned yesterday....

Thanks, DR JRand! I wish I was up in NJ for this. Last night there was a S&V lecture, tonight's the screening and tomorrow night our composer is doing a concert of music he wrote for our film, and more. A 3 day event!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2006, 05:20:12 AM »

...Just so you know what poor elmore is dealing with, the finale of Act One is something like 180 bars long.
And we all know how long our Elmore likes to take, working his way through just one bar.  Very popular with the other customers!

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2006, 05:21:53 AM »

Where are our gangster names?  We've got Numbers Moore, which is perfection.  And where in tarnation are Rodzinski and TPunk?
Der Bruiser Brucer.

Edisaurus

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2006, 05:24:27 AM »

Their love child is called Reggae.

You know, rap music (the kind that deals with social and political issues) and calypso have striking similarities, and fullfil many of the same needs. I wanted for years to do a calypso documentary before all the old guard dies off but never got the courage to pursue making a film all on my own. I'd rather experience the pain of others vicariously by helping birth their films and be able to keep my house!

(Making documentaries is like having a big drug habit...)

Edisaurus

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2006, 05:27:44 AM »

Vix Vap-O-Rub-out for Vix's Mom?

Edisaurus

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2006, 05:29:46 AM »

"Shutters" for DR Jane

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2006, 05:36:46 AM »

TOD:

Car CD player: Elton John's Captain and the Kid.  Not bad.

New in the DVD stack:
A Prairie Home Companion
From Dusk Till Dawn (a der Bruiser selection)
The Lost Empire (another Bruiser)
The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T.

Books:

The United States of Arugula: How We Became a Gourmet Nation, by David Kamp

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals, by Michael Pollan

Heat: An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany, by Bill Buford

(And Dixie, my boss, was shocked, yes, she was shocked by a book of short stories that I took with me to work.  I haven't a clue as to why, since she smokes on occasion and shouldn't have found the image of the man with a cigarette in his hand all that disturbing.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2006, 05:38:38 AM »

(Making documentaries is like having a big drug habit...)
I've known transvestites who have that problem.  No, wait, they have a big drag habit.  Never mind.

Edisaurus

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2006, 05:38:45 AM »

TOD:
i]The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T.[/i]

Hooray! It's Do-Mi-Do Day!

Edisaurus

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2006, 05:39:51 AM »

I've known transvestites who have that problem.  No, wait, they have a big drag habit.

A big drag habit is not so bad, if you shop in the right places!

Edisaurus

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2006, 05:41:34 AM »

Cillaliz: "The Gavel"

(Don't know any good lawyer terms...thankfully!)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2006, 05:45:04 AM »

Sigmund's BARMECIDAL dreams of living in A DRAB CLIME were dashed when he faced the realities of Vienna's winters.

Michael

« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2006, 05:48:44 AM »

TOD
Will READ BK's short stories

Regarding Project Runaway and Jeffrey. I did a lot of googling yesterday. The whole thing did he do it himself or had help. If he had problems finishing a dress within the 1 or 2 day time frame during the show's competition. He had 3 (?) months to work on 12 dresses. Why couldn't he have finished them all of them ahead of time?

I never did like Laura. (Maybe the edited her that way) I thought she was a B*TCH, but changed by mind and thought she was the C word.

Two things before the spoiler:

1) Jeffrey did show his line at fashion week.

2) The past two seasons when there were 3 winners the the last designer to be cut also showed at fashion week as a decoy because fashion week was before the final shows aired.

[size=9]
SPOILER[/size]

There was question about him sending out the shorts for pleating. The pictures from his collection which are posted on line do not show these shorts, but alternate attire. So
1) He was disqualified but still showed his line as a decoy.
2) He wasn't disqualified but was not allowed to use the shorts as he did not have the receipts for the pleating service.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 05:50:14 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2006, 05:49:34 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  I'll be information-waitressing all day, then have a glorious 3-day weekend.

Media check:

DVD - Good Night and Good Luck - yeah, yeah, it's been on my list before.  We've had it from Netflix since before we went to NYC, but haven't gotten around to watching it.

CD(car) - The Drowsy Chaperone and My Fair Lady, 20th Anniversary Revival with Christine Andreas and Ian Richardson - I'm so glad finally to have this on CD!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2006, 05:50:27 AM »

How about "Briefs" Liz for DR CILLALIZ.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2006, 05:51:06 AM »

DR EDISAURUS - for confirmation of the calypso-rock and roll link, I hope you have seen EXPRESSO BONGO.

Off to work.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2006, 05:51:36 AM »

And of course it's "Books" Ginny!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2006, 06:00:25 AM »

Dear DR Matt:

Medium would be great with Heroes as a lead-in.  The two, together, make sense in a way that Heroes and Studio 60 do not.  The question is, what should NBC bump so that Studio 60 can get a fair playing?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2006, 06:02:56 AM »

And, for my fellow Whovians out there, tonight the Doctor meets up with his old pal Sarah Jane Smith... and she's got K9 in tow!

:D

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2006, 07:18:49 AM »

Good morning!

We got out cooler temperatures overnight, but it's not so cool that I can't have the window in my office open and enjoying outside air. It's overcast, but I can't remember if rain is in the forecast or not.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2006, 07:23:20 AM »

Dear DR Matt:

Medium would be great with Heroes as a lead-in.  The two, together, make sense in a way that Heroes and Studio 60 do not.  The question is, what should NBC bump so that Studio 60 can get a fair playing?

I'm thinking if STUDIO 60 can hold on until football season is over, it can slide into the Tuesday at 9 slot and let LAW & ORDER: CI return to SUnday along with CROSSING JORDAN to replace football.

Another spot is Wednesday at 9, but there are two monster hits in that slot (LOST, CRIMINAL MINDS), so I think it wouldn't get sampled well there.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2006, 07:24:30 AM »

I absolutely LOVE "Fingers" as DR Jose's gangster name. Perfection plus!

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2006, 07:26:19 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - WONDERFUL TOWN (OCR)

DVD - GREY'S ANATOMY - Season 1, disc 2
          THE LITTLE MERMAID
          THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN

DVR - last night's MY NAME IS EARL
          last night's THE OFFICE
          last night's SMALLVILLE
          last night's SUPERNATURAL
          MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA

laserdisc - ENCHANTED APRIL

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2006, 07:28:32 AM »

I have been going back through some mono CD recordings during the past week: KISMET, MY FAIR LADY (1956), KISS ME KATE, and now WONDERFUL TOWN.

Really had forgotten how much I enjoy the songs in WONDERFUL TOWN. With the exception of the Broadway revival of a few years ago, no one ever seems to do that show any more.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2006, 07:35:25 AM »

PROJECT RUNWAY spoiler

Jeffrey and the other three actually had two months to design and construct the dresses. Still plenty of time for him to have done the work. I had heard that when Tim visited Jeffrey, he was surprised that so little had been done on the collection, but the program this week didn't show that at all. In fact, it was Michael who seemed to have done very little.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2006, 07:35:29 AM »

SPOILER

Regarding Project Runaway and Jeffrey. I did a lot of googling yesterday. The whole thing did he do it himself or had help. If he had problems finishing a dress within the 1 or 2 day time frame during the show's competition. He had 3 (?) months to work on 12 dresses. Why couldn't he have finished them all of them ahead of time?

I never did like Laura. (Maybe the edited her that way) I thought she was a B*TCH, but changed by mind and thought she was the C word.

Two things before the spoiler:

1) Jeffrey did show his line at fashion week.

2) The past two seasons when there were 3 winners the the last designer to be cut also showed at fashion week as a decoy because fashion week was before the final shows aired.

There was question about him sending out the shorts for pleating. The pictures from his collection which are posted on line do not show these shorts, but alternate attire. So
1) He was disqualified but still showed his line as a decoy.
2) He wasn't disqualified but was not allowed to use the shorts as he did not have the receipts for the pleating service.

[size=9]
SPOILER[/size]

I did not get a sense that the shorts were a central issue.  The pleating by an outside source was supposed to be an "allowable" thing.  If he didn't show them, that may have been a concession as a tonic for Laura.  As Tim said, such an accusation is a very difficult thing to prove...and I don't think they found any evidence of anything more than his admitted "pleating" help.

That "no receipt for the pleating service" gambit is an interesting thought.  Is that your guess or did you find something concrete via Google? (I Google this issue daily and find very little that is new).

It's my belief the issue was "outsourcing sewing" in terms of hems, finishing, hooks, etc.  Laura was taken aback by the quality of finishes on Jeffrey's garments and refused to believe he could have done it himself based on her exposure to his skills during the competition.

Laura (and Michael) had much altering and "finishing" to do and Jeffrey was twiddling his thumbs.  Laura, with 5 kids running around, one in the oven and a rather "randy" professorial husband (!!!) could not have devoted as much time as did Jeffrey.  As for Michael, I think he was mostly reworking that top that Tim found "comic bookish" rather than futzing with all his pieces.   I think they just couldn't fathom Jeffrey being "totally" prepared and ready to roll.  As he said, though, it's one thing to design an outfit in one day in a room full of bitching designers and something totally different to have three months and your own space in which to work, unbothered and uncriticized (by Tim, one imagines).   :D

In past seasons, ONLY three went to fashion week "in competition."   In Season 1, Austin Scarlett also showed his line even though he had not made the final cut.  In Season 2, Kara Janx showed "out of competition."

This season, the show sent four "in competition."  No one was a decoy.  I know there has been comment on the internet that four went but only three were in competition, but that was PRE-final challenge speculation...the writers did not realize that the producers/judges for Project Runway 3 would decide to send all four (i.e., not 'auf" anyone else) to be "in competition."

Unless, heaven forfend, Jeffrey is considered out of competition due to improprieties, I fully expect FOUR designers to be on that runway for the final judgment following the showing of their lines.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 10:04:02 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2006, 07:46:26 AM »

Good morning Esteemed, chiseled, gluteus-hardened, brightened, and Hassidic BK --

Sorry to see your earlier post about being awake in the middle of the night.  I'm glad that that only happens to me very rarely.

The gangster names take a little thought and consideration.  It has to not only reference some quirk or trait about the person, but has to be (sometimes) kind of benign sounding.  Like "Big Pussy" on the Sopranos.....who was anything but a sweet pussycat.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up