Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: JUST GO THERE  (Read 28216 times)

FJL

Re:JUST GO THERE
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2006, 06:42:56 AM »

And one for Mercer

FJL

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2006, 06:46:24 AM »

Received  a FedEx package this morning, which was checked off "Bill to recipient."  I wonder how they do that, since the delivery person asked for no money or anything like that before handing over the package.  Do they send you a bill later?  

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2006, 07:08:42 AM »

Hiya! I'm already at the caffeine and the books, for today's foray into the world of higher education!!!
PennyO

Kerry

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2006, 07:09:40 AM »

Mornin' All!

Luckily, my grandmother saved a lot of our toys (although they were not in  great shape from way too much playing).  One of my favorite childhood toys was given back to me.  It's a boy doily that squeaks.  He's got a charming, old-fashioned look to it.  His name is Scotty, and he sits on the bookshelf watching over me.  I even had him included in a painting.  

Happy Birthday, Dan.  Miss you, Toots!
I like boat races.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2006, 07:09:48 AM »

I will love hearing Elmo's orchestrations for the strange and wonderful songs of BRAIN - swell songs, hummable and funny, with interesting turns of phrase, both musical and lyrical. All this and a theramin!!!!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2006, 07:12:20 AM »

Toys.... hmmmmm.... we always had live dawgs, which had it all over store-boughten doo-dads...

As a very wee tyke, I loved my red cowboy hat. Got the old films to prove it. Always loved those bubbles in the screw-top container, probably nothing more than dishwashing liquid, that came with a little wand. Still buy those sometimes for myself. And for others.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2006, 07:13:10 AM »

I liked Chutes and Ladders. And my pointe shoes...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2006, 07:14:27 AM »

My sister Rikki and I had herds of plastic horse statues...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2006, 07:15:43 AM »

My bike!!!!!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2006, 07:16:43 AM »

And now, this anthropology book will occupy my attention until I hit the shower and head off to school. Have an excellent day, gang!
PennyO

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2006, 07:21:24 AM »

My favorites: My toy piano, and my Creepy Crawler set, with which to make plastic bugs. You could burn the hell out of yourself with those hot plates or with the rubber bugs you had just created. Good times!

My brother and I played with army men (they were so cheap that I likd to melt them and make mutants---with one arm growing out of the chest, a stretched-out neck, etc.) and lincoln logs.

The things I wish I could have kept: the Art Linkletter Surrey with the Fringe On top, my Barbie doll---one of the first and in great dhape becuse I never played with it!---and my Creepy and Eerie magazines, so I could sell them on Ebay!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2006, 07:25:58 AM »

Good morning!

It was bright and sunny when I went out to get the paper, but the clouds are moving in pretty quickly, and it's getting overcast. Rain is forecast for tomorrow, but it's supposed to be OK today - high 60s.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2006, 07:28:34 AM »

The last time we had this TOD, one of the DRs here found a picture of the toy I mentioned (I think it was DR MBarnum who posted it).

Anyway, it was a Robbie the Robot with a hand crank that enabled it to move and talk. I remember crying having to leave it behind when we went to my aunt and uncle's house for CHristmas dinner that afternoon.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2006, 07:30:27 AM »

I'll have last night's COLD CASE, WITHOUT A TRACE, and DEXTER to watch today at some point. The CBS shows will be spread over a three hour block of time recorded due to the NFL runover. I trust I got both shows complete during that time.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2006, 07:31:44 AM »

Congratulations, DR George, on your moving in and spending the night in your new condo! I know how excited you feel and how much you look forward to getting things settled, in place, and settling in to enjoy your new home. I get goosebumps just reading about it.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2006, 07:42:18 AM »

Hello Esteemed and multi-everythinged BK -- Just a quick morning hello before I head out for some early errands.

I read all about "Maddie" from the new book last evening before going to sleep....which of course means that once again, I was safely curled up in bed with the guapo BK.  I'm afraid Jason G. may get very jealous !! :)

Happy monday to all of the superb H/Ks who are in and out of the Living Room today....

Ginny

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2006, 07:50:01 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  It's my day off and DH Richard and I have to look after my aunt's car.  Before we leave, I'll put chili in the crockpot so we'll have dinner whenever we get home.

TOD - I had a Ginny doll - whatever happened to her?  Also, a Little Miss Revlon (long-gone, too) and a very early Barbie, which I still have.  My Barbie is not in the mint condition of yours, DR Edisaurus, because I did play with it.  The doll and her clothes and accessories are remarkably in tact, though, considering their age.

Board games, too - Barbie-Queen of the Prom, Go to the Head of the Class, Careers
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2006, 08:00:47 AM »

TOD:  A rather large remote control car I had, bright red and looking something like an Olds 88, called the "Crusader 101."  In my nascent compositional phase, circa age 6, I remember singing, somewhat to the tune of "In the Good Old Summertime," "Is it true blondes have more fun in their Crusader 101?"  Memories, pressed between the pages....   :)

It pays to always try your best department:  I played the Jewish retirement home yesterday and was amazed on my completion to have a gentleman in a motorized wheelchair come over and introduce himself as a former pianist for both Tommy Dorsey and Frank Sinatra.  This was especially sychronicitastic as I had played both "Opus One" and "Lady is a Tramp," and had mentioned both Dorsey and Sinatra in my "patter."  I asked him what they were like to work for, and he said Sinatra was "easy" but Dorsey was a "real bastard."  ;)  (Has anyone heard that hilarious clip of Buddy Rich screaming at his band that's uploaded all over the internet?).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2006, 08:06:34 AM »

Having lunch with best friend John today, so I need to go get cleaned up for that.

WBBL.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2006, 08:13:19 AM »

Catching up from yesterday department:

Separated at birth:  methinks that pic of Mercer looks a lot more like James Lipton than Elvis Costello.

Alums:  Well, I've opened for the Smothers Brothers, but that was long before I'd heard of Skip.  I did get to talk to them about Mason Williams, however, who is a slight acquaintance of mine (he lives in Oregon and was a good friend of a lady who shared a house with me for a while).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2006, 08:16:39 AM »

TOD:  My comic books, which would be worth a fortune now.

Not as much as your diary :o

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2006, 08:20:37 AM »

My brother and I played with army men (they were so cheap that I likd to melt them and make mutants---with one arm growing out of the chest, a stretched-out neck, etc.)

Did you have the molds that let you cast your own tin soldiers and armaments?

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2006, 08:28:22 AM »

Congrats George on getting all moved...

Did your cat handle the move well?

Thanks!  Ebonie seems to be doing okay...so far.  I still need to bring over her canned cat food, but so far, she's seems fine. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2006, 08:28:56 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAN IN TORONTO!  I miss you.

George

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2006, 08:29:04 AM »

Congrats on the move in the new CONDO OWNER, DRGEORGE!

Thanks! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

FJL

« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2006, 08:31:07 AM »

Many congrats to George on his move!

George

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2006, 08:31:08 AM »

DR George, how's the guest room?

It's a little empty now ::) ...I need to empty out my storage unit and put all my stuff in the extra bedroom, but then the plan is to get rid of a lot of the stuff.  THEN I will have an actual extra bedroom/guest room. :)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2006, 08:33:54 AM »

Edisaurus has confessed to being a Pippin virgin - well there will be opportunities for deflowering:

Broadway at the Academy:
Pippin
At the Forrest Theatre (Philadelphia)

January 11 - 15, 2007

SCHWARTZ HOME
NEWS: A PIPPIN Revival production is on Tour. Pippin includes adjustments by the composer and book writer. See photos; read schedule, cast list, and an interview with director Gabriel Barre

The Seattle Times has a really good read:(excerpt)
Composer looks back on "Pippin"
By Misha Berson
Seattle Times theater critic

But it's just now getting a broader revival. "It has become timely again. It arose out of the Vietnam War and the fracturing of American society. In the 1990s that seemed like old news.

"Now we're at war again, there's more political protests. A story about rebellion against an unjust father doesn't feel like such a museum piece."
The Broadway debut of "Pippin," which jump-started the career of co-star Ben Vereen and won raves for legendary director Bob Fosse, was aesthetically ahead of its time, according to Schwartz.

"In some ways it remains pretty avant-garde in its structure. It has a play-within-a-play format, and was very imaginatively designed, with some cool scenic effects. And Fosse used vaudeville, minstrelsy, medieval plays, commedia dell'arte — lots of different theatrical styles to tell the story."

der Brucer

I have the fondest memories of attending a "special" function in LA when an 84 year-old San Francisco Drag Queen brought down the house with "No Time At All". This was a benefit in the early days of the AIDS crises and "time to keep livin'" had a special meaning to the guys in the audience with their oxygen tanks in tow. There wasn't a dry eye in the house!

George

« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2006, 08:34:03 AM »

Congratulations, DR George, on your moving in and spending the night in your new condo! I know how excited you feel and how much you look forward to getting things settled, in place, and settling in to enjoy your new home. I get goosebumps just reading about it.

And thank you!  I can't wait until all the painting and moving boxes is finished and I can just "come home" and veg. ;)

George

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2006, 08:35:28 AM »

But then, I still have rehearsals for Canniball:  The Musical!  We don't open until December 1st, so things won't "get back to normal" for a while, anyway.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 08:36:13 AM by George »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up