Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SWANS WITHOUT WATER  (Read 20536 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SWANS WITHOUT WATER
« on: December 21, 2003, 12:14:19 AM »

Well, you know the deal, you've read the notes, you know the latest, you know the real skinny or the fake fat, so go to it and let's have some fun topics, shall we?

« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 12:02:35 AM by bk »

Michael

Re:SWANS WITHOUT WATER
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2003, 03:59:23 AM »

My mother, neice and nephew are coming to visit today for two weeks and my sister the following week. Will post lots of pictures I hope that interesting events will happen

« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 05:55:59 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2003, 04:00:08 AM »

So if you have two differents thoughts in a posting separate them and that way we can keep the totals high!!!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2003, 04:01:30 AM »

Now this is very strange. Where are the early morning posters? It is not supposed to be this way. I am NOT supposed to be the first person to post after BK. Let's get going folks.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2003, 05:50:31 AM »

By the end of the twelve days of Christmas your true love should have:

12 Partridges in 12 Pear Trees
22 Turtle Doves
30 French Hens
36 Calling Birds
40 Gold Rings
43 Geese A-Laying
43 Swans-a-swinning
40 Maids a-milking
36 Ladies Dancing
30 Lords a Leaping
22 Pipers Piping
12 Drummers Drumming

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2003, 05:54:23 AM »

Now here is something about the 12 days of Christmas I didn't know. This is intresting especially from a nice Jewish boy's perspective

Catholics in England during the period 1558 to 1829, when Parliament finally emancipated Catholics in England, were prohibited from ANY practice of their faith by law - private OR public. It was a crime to BE a Catholic.

"The Twelve Days of Christmas" was written in England as one of the "catechism songs" to help young Catholics learn the tenets of their faith - a memory aid, when to be caught with anything in *writing* indicating adherence to the Catholic faith could not only get you imprisoned, it could get you hanged, or shortened by a head - or hanged, drawn and quartered....

The songs gifts are hidden meanings to the teachings of the faith. The "true love" mentioned in the song doesn't refer to an earthly suitor, it refers to God Himself. The "me" who receives the presents refers to every baptized person. The partridge in a pear tree is Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2003, 05:54:47 AM »

The other symbols mean the following:

2 Turtle Doves = The Old and New Testaments
3 French Hens = Faith, Hope and Charity, the Theological Virtues
4 Calling Birds = the Four Gospels and/or the Four Evangelists
5 Golden Rings = The first Five Books of the Old Testament, the "Pentateuch", which gives the history of man's fall from grace.
6 Geese A-laying = the six days of creation
7 Swans A-swimming = the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit, the seven sacraments
8 Maids A-milking = the eight beatitudes
9 Ladies Dancing = the nine Fruits of the Holy Spirit
10 Lords A-leaping = the ten commandments
11 Pipers Piping = the eleven faithful apostles
12 Drummers Drumming = the twelve points of doctrine in the Apostle's Creed

Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2003, 06:50:16 AM »

Good morning!

Michael - Everytime I hit "Post" and then look at my long post, I think in retrospect if I should have broken up my post.... Hmm..  In any case...

Yes, I'm up.  Yes, I've only had about 5 1/2 hours of sleep.  And, yes, I'm about to head to the picture place in the mall to get my picture taken with the rest of my family.  Let's hope it's fun... Hope!

And since I'm up already, and showered and dressed - in my new shirt (it's black, long-sleeved, and ever so comfortable), I think I'm going to head to the mall now and do some more last minute shopping... for whom I do not know.  Probably for myself.  ;)

-Oh, and thanks for the 12 Days breakdown - I have always wondered how the lineup came to be.  I knew there had to be some method to the madness, so to speak.

OK - Gotta run!  Hmmm.. Maybe I'll get that cake pan this morning!  And if I don't see you after the pic, I'll see you after tonight's show.

Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2003, 06:57:18 AM »

Hey good morning all!

I am soooo very tired this morning. Even though I went to bed early (not sure when, I guess sometime between 10-11pm).

So much holiday stuff to do.

Hey I will do what MS suggested and split up my post
(btw, I think it's actually easier sometimes to read smaller posts than a long ramble).

Jennifer

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2003, 07:01:24 AM »

For some reason I have become EVERYONE's gift wrapper. I think I made the mistake of saying I love wrapping gifts. Or at least I really want to improve. What I really want for Christmas is a new book on gift wrapping. But for some reason I cannot find any at the book stores near here (and online I cannot actually look thru the books to see if I will like them).

My sis and her hubby and brought all their kid type gifts last month. So I did those. Then yesterday evening they stopped off again, to get their last few gifts wrapped (they just stood there while I did it :) )

The night before my sis and I had gone to my aunt's to bake cookies and wrap gifts (I ended up doing all the gifts and she did the cookies).  And the night before I had wrapped all my own gifts (so I am a bit worn out) :)

Jennifer

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2003, 07:04:53 AM »

Oh I felt like Jrand yesterday. I went to the mall with my mom at 7:30am :)

They have this thing occasionally at Sears where they hand out $10 off certificates (if you spend $50). Well they give them out at 8am. And they were also giving out boxes of cookies TO THE FIRST 500 PEOPLE.

We got there at 7:50am and there were hundreds and hundreds of people in line.   It was unreal.

But we got $20 off!!!

Gotta run. I don't know if I'll be back today, since I'm going tree trimming.

td

• td
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2003, 08:07:40 AM »

I shall ask for all the good vibes that the  Hainsies and Kimlets can offer; as I am off to a day of auditioning for  Lanford Wilson's SYMPATHETIC MAGIC (and to a lesser degree, Tina Howe's PRIDE'S CROSSING at The Open Stage Theatre:
http://www.openstagepgh.com/
(the bottom of photo is from the last production I appeared in, though neither of those pictured is me. . .)

So, send those good vibes, as the founder of the theater company also requested that I bring the current script which I have been working on for her to peruse, and possibly present a workshop and/or staged reading of it. . .

Finally, our snows are melting here. . .:)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 08:08:11 AM by td »
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2003, 08:10:23 AM »

Good morning. It has not started all that well for me with irritating little problems. First, there was no newspaper waiting on me when I got up and I waited until 8:30 and still no newspaper. After calling to request a re-delivery, it took well over an hour for it to be delivered.

At the grocery check-out line, the boneless turkey breast I bought would not scan and even punching in the numbers from the label did no good. I told the cashier that all those breasts were marked a certain price, but he wouldn't believe me and sent for a price check which took (seemingly) five minutes. Of course, I had quoted the right price. It was a new clerk at the register this morning. I think if I had gone to one of the other ones who knows me, they would have taken my word for the price.

I have a Christmas drop-in to attend this afternoon, so I'm hoping the day will improve. Keeping fingers crossed.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2003, 08:11:38 AM »

Thank you, DR Michael, for that information on "The Twelve Days of Christmas." I had NO idea about any of that, and it now begins to make a semblance of sense. Amazing what one learns at HHW! How can folks stay away?   ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2003, 08:14:28 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Vibrant vibes for DR Tony. Hope things go well for you!

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2003, 08:21:20 AM »

Good morning dear, esteemed, gift-laden, sinewy, yule-infused, and guapo BK--

OK, so here is the conundrum.......I get a little behind on both deskwork and a consulting job that I am doing locally here in Phoenix, so I have to play "catch-up" and be a good boy and stay off of the computer for a couple of days.

Then....(and here's the rub)....if I try to read all of the daily posts for the past few days, I have run out of time and have to leave.  Mind you, I read the daily notes every day, and they always brighten my morning.  

But if I just decide to post about the current Daily Notes, then I have missed all kinds of goodies that were in the previous days' posts by all of the wonderful DRs.

I wish I had a job at a desk, with a computer access, and with no boss looking over my shoulder!!  Why, then I could even outdo those proverbial cows that are always supposed to be coming home.

So my erudite friend, there it is.  Do I stay current, stay "in the moment," and post....or do I try to not miss all of the past daily posts of the wonderful collective brain-trust of this here wonderful site.

??????   ???

MusicGuy

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2003, 08:24:23 AM »

Okay,....here's the second thing going against me......I am a GROSSLY slow and inadequate typist (typer??).  I know, I can handle musical keyboards just fine, but I never had a need to learn typing in school, and until the advent of the PC, I hardly ever touched a "qwerty" keyboard.

Aaarrrgggghhhh!!

MusicGuy

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2003, 08:28:23 AM »

For DR Tony --  I send all good thoughts and vibes on your upcoming auditions....take a breath.....

DR TCB --- I did notice, while trying to do some fast skimming of previous posts, that I was cast as Vera Charles...Hmmmm.....I guess I could pull that off!  ;)

DRs Jay and Laura.....have a wonderful dinner with the lithe and sultry BK tonight....make sure to order some shrimp cocktail shrimp, and think of me.  I wish Kerry and I were there with you all.  Where are you breaking matzoh??

MusicGuy

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2003, 08:31:55 AM »

Dear esteemed BK --    

I will be back later this afternoon, as I'm off to do some work now for a number of hours.  Yes, consulting work doesn't get "weekends" or stuff like that.

DR Panni -- Did you get a new dog in your life??  I missed the post about it, if there was one.  I would love to know all about it when you have time.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2003, 08:32:40 AM »

DR Music Guy, I can sympathize with you, but my problem is the opposite. I used to play the piano fairly well, never good enough to be a professional, mind you, but well enough to entertain myself or others who dropped over. Since the advent of a home computer in my life (around 1985), the piano keyboard is the one that I've strayed from more and more until now, I know the notes and could probably pick out a song using both hands with quite a bit of practice, but my piano at home only gets touched when I'm dusting it or if I'm picking out a harmony part of a song I'm trying to learn for a show, and I one finger my notes until I learn them.

[sigh] SOmetimes technology isn't such a great thing (but I couldn't live without it now!)  :)

Michael

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2003, 08:53:19 AM »

DR TONY

IN ENGLISH

or as they say in French

Never stop dreaming.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2003, 08:53:41 AM »

Good vibes to TD!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

I'm off to see Camelot!  I should have a full report when I get back!

MBarnum

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2003, 09:07:09 AM »

DR TD, good, happy, and most successful vibes to you!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%];D  :D  ;)  :)  :o  8)  ::)  :-*  :D  ;D  ;)  :)  ;D  ;)  :)  ;D  :o [/move]

A friend sent me a Cd of various Christmas music which I have been enjoying this morning. I think I have a new favorite singer...Sergio Franchi...a very handsome Italian! Are any DRs familiar with him??? I am thinking he was popular in the 1960s.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2003, 09:29:03 AM »

Good morning one and all and also all and one.  

MusicGuy, one must always stay current, no matter what the voltage.  You can ALWAYS catch up or, at the very least, ketchup, but you cannot always stay current.

I am through asking where in taranation IS everyone because it is so very obvious that the one place everyone is not here.  So be it.  Be it so.  It be so.  

Just a bit more organizing and cleaning up to do, then off to storage facility number two and that will be it.  Then off to dine, then back to do some homework viewing tapes (only an hour's worth), then perhaps a DVD or three.

Andrea

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2003, 09:31:14 AM »

Well, I had an exciting night last night-- which also included leaving a very, very angry voice mail message on DR emily's phone. And then we went to rhumba. Don't ask.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2003, 09:42:59 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]`````````````````````````````````````````````[/move]

Good vibes to TD!

Thanks DR MS for "Whistling AWAY the Dark" sheet music post yesterday.  Yes, that first shot in Darling Lili is amazing.

AND I had forgotten that This Happy Feeling was and Edwards-Mancini film.  It is one of my favorite Debbie Reynolds flicks.  So much fun....and produced by Panni's friend Ross Hunter!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2003, 09:58:00 AM »

Merde to TD.

DR MusicGuy - I don't know where the new dog idea came from. I have a very sweet 1-year-old named Abie (for Abraham) that I got after my 13-year-old Lab, Katie, passed on. With apologies to all the other dogs, Abie is the best dog in the world. I've had Abie since he was 8 weeks old and weighed 9 pounds. He's a Lab-Shepherd mix.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2003, 10:03:43 AM »

DR Jrand53 - One of these days I'll find a way to post the charming pic of Miss Debbie Reynolds and me sitting on the movie set porch. I usually abhor pictures of myself, but this one I like 'cause I look so darn CUTE and perky. And, naturally, Miss R. looks lovely - even though she's wearing a bathrobe and  "I'm dying of kidney disease" makeup.  

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2003, 10:16:43 AM »

Dear Reader Michael Shayne--Check your math.  You've added an extra swan and an extra goose.  Dear BK will have his hands full as it is, and doesn't need those two additional birds, I dare say!

Dear Reader TD--Break a leg!

Dear Reader Music Guy--Dear BK and Dear Readers Laura and Sandra and I will be breaking latkes at a restaurant adjacent to the Pasadena Playhouse.  It is called Mario's--Where They Sing While You Dine and, don't you know, the whole staff sings while you dine.  Mostly opera chestnuts and Broadway showtunes though, I am sure, they will be adding some Christmas music into the mix as well to mark the season.  Following dinner, Laura and Sandra and I will be taking in a performance of Plaid Tidings (the holiday version of Forever Plaid.)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 10:17:11 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2003, 10:25:35 AM »

Anyone who has ever ridiculed the notion that having pets is like having children has obviously never run to the emergency vet with his/her 12 1/2 year old beloved cocker spaniel.  As I did at 2 a.m. this morning.

The pup, whose name is Roller, showed a marked decrease in energy and muscle strength on Friday, and I took him to his normal vet, who diagnosed some kind of infection and prescribed an antibiotic.  Roller showed some mild improvement on Saturday, so I did not hesitate to go out last night.  When I got home (yes, it was quite late dear readers, or early in the morning, depending on how you look at it), I found Roller in the yard on his side, as if he had passed out and remained in that position.  His breathing was quite labored.  I carried him inside and set him down, in the sitting position, and he promptly fell over, much as a rag doll might have done.  So off to the emergency vet we went, and there he remains.  Neither vet has been able to say exactly what's wrong with him.  I am hoping to learn more shortly.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up