Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SWANS WITHOUT WATER  (Read 20566 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:SWANS WITHOUT WATER
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2003, 10:46:49 AM »

Dear DR Jay: I hope your vet sends good news soon!  With the five that der Brucer and I have, I know very well how hard that waiting can be.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2003, 11:01:38 AM »

The horizontal Der Brucer has been exactly that all day.  He came down with a sore throat yesterday, and is refusing to budge from his bed.

Why a sore throat means he can't work his feet or hands is something I just don't understand, but at least we aren't arguing over whose turn it is to be on-line.

Our hunch is that he has to have caught the sore throat from one of the grandlads, because his daughter would vociferously deny having done it to him herself, and I know for a fact that his son-in-law and der Brucer don't kiss.  (It's the son-in-law's tobacco breath, don't 'cha know, der Brucer can't stand tobacco breath.)  (And add "vociferous" to that list of wonder-words: it sounds like a combination of "voice" and "sulfurous," doesn't it?)

Hopefully, he'll be feeling better tonight; I made much more spaghetti sauce last night than I'd planned on making, and he didn't want any of it, so it's all sitting in bowls, looking forlorn and lonesome.  So sad, to be a spaghetti sauce all alone in the world.  (A film-version of Thoroughly Modern Millie reference, I do believe.)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 11:02:54 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2003, 11:12:55 AM »

Dear DR Jay: I hope your vet sends good news soon!  With the five that der Brucer and I have, I know very well how hard that waiting can be.

Thank you, DR SWW.  I just spoke with the emergency vet, and he reported that they had just taken Roller for a walk, and he passed stool and urine normally.  (Sorry, folks, but I take good news in whatever form.)  This is promising, as last night the poor thing could hardly stand.  They want to keep him overnight again tonight to keep him on the IV.  Depending on his condition tomorrow, he will either come home or go to his regular vet.  I am headed off to visit with him right now.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2003, 11:17:42 AM »

DR Jay, Much Doggie Vibage for your little one, Roller!  At least you got some good news in the meantime!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2003, 11:19:39 AM »

And Break a Leg, DR td!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :-*[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :) :)[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;) ;) ;)[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :D :D :D :D[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2003, 11:21:21 AM »

I must be off.  I'm meeting some co-workers for brunch (and I'm already a bit late) then we're all going to a mantinee of a local play!  I ushered for it a couple of weeks ago (and for free), but it's fun and the conversation for brunch will be sparkling and lively!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 11:21:34 AM by George »

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2003, 11:46:02 AM »

Good morning all...
Jay, many good vibes for Roller...
TCB - As a matter of fact, I AM writing this from Jed's computer, in the morning.  This is actually the second morning I've checked HHW from DR Jed's place.  Are rumors flying yet? ;)  
Saw Christmas Carol last night.  A lovely little show, I must say.  I always appreciate when the kids in a show are as strong as the adults.  DR Jed looked dashing in his very bright purple tights.  He's promised a picture soon.  The director gave us a very different spin on the ghosts in general.  The GOC-Past was a little girl, which I've seen done before, but usually in an ethereal angel-child type thing.  This little one was played up basically as a cheeky little brat.  It startled me at first, but it did work.  GOC-Present was of course done wonderfully by DR Jed.  How can one go wrong wearing purple tights and blowing a bugle.  GOC-Future was totally different from anything I've ever seen.  Instead of the usual Grim-Reaper-ish thing, they went with what I could probably best describe as a fairy from hell.  Wild black hair, freakish make-up, and doing a lot of shrieking and hissing...it was great fun and scared the bejebus out of the kids in the audience.
All in all, a fine show and I'm glad I got up here to see it.
DR Jed is off for the matinee and set strike, so I'm left to my own devices today...so here's hoping I can find something worth watching on cable...

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2003, 11:50:55 AM »

Now-Here is a Trivia Question-

No cheating by looking it up on the internet.

What Motion Picture introduced the song MONA LISA?

Tomovoz

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2003, 11:59:43 AM »

I assume "Captain Carey USA" as the song won an oscar BUT then I know the rules for eligibility have changed a few times.

I may have missed it but has anyone let MBarnum know that Sergio Franchi was the star of "Do I Hear A Waltz". Michael you must"get into" this Broadway stuff!
Good taste preents me from making any comments about bugles and purple tights.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2003, 12:06:03 PM »

DR Ann: I suspect that many Hainsies have met "The fairy from hell" at some time in their lives.

DR MDS aka Mike: Thanks indeed for the background on The 12 days. Colin found it to be the most irritating of songs when in various versions it was played on the public address system at "his" bank during the Christmas season. I think he prefers the Alan Sherman version.
td: Hope all is going well with your day. OZ vibes aplenty.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2003, 12:10:49 PM »

Maybe DR Arnold's question was meant to be tricky and he meant the lyrics as we know them - not in Italian! If that is the case, I have no idea (without cheating!).
James Thurber 1957

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2003, 12:12:06 PM »

TOM-

You are right on CAPTAIN CAREY USA starring ALAN LADD and WANDA HENDRIX(remember her)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2003, 12:18:16 PM »

Damn you, BK, Damn you!  Neither my wife nor myself can get that damned A Kid for Two Farthings theme out of our heads.  What's worse, my wife goes around singing it in an imitation of the English boy soprano voice on the DVD.  All day long it's "One kid, One kid, that my father bought for two farthings!"  As those are the only lyrics, you can imagine how irritating it gets.

Came across an interesting find yesterday, A BBC DVD that has four Oscar Wilde pieces on it as well as an hour documentary on Wilde himself.  

On the DVD are

The Importance of Being Earnest, 1988, with Rupert Frazer, Gemma Jones, Alec McGowen, Joan Plowright, and Amanda Redman.  directed by Stuart Burge.

The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1976, dramatised by John Osborne, with John Gielgud, Peter Firth, Jeremy Brett, Judi Bowker.

An Ideal Husband, 1969, with Margaret Leighton, Keith Michell, Jeremy Brett, Susan Hampshire.

Lady Windemere's Fan, 1985, with Helena Little, Tim Woodward, Kenneth Cranham, Sara Kestleman, Robert Lang

Have watched just the first few minutes of the opening of Ideal Husband with Jeremy Brett as Lord Goring and I'm already in love with it.  Can't wait to watch the rest of this.

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2003, 12:24:30 PM »

Tomovoz, thank you for that info on Sergio Franchi! I am learning little by little that I need to know more about the stage! LOL!

Mrs. Sergio Franchi has a website up devoted to her late husband (he passed away from cancer). After I get a few of his CDs I might send her an e-mail.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2003, 12:25:02 PM »

What a great DVD!

Yes DRPanni - I would love to see the photo!  

GOOD VIBES to DR Jay for his doggie!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2003, 12:25:27 PM »

DR Arnold,  I do indeed remember Wanda Hendrix...mostly as the love interest in the wonderful PRINCE OF FOXES.  I believe she was also in RIDE THE PINK HORSE.

Tomovoz

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2003, 12:26:20 PM »

DR Arnold. I was always a fan of Alan Ladd. It was great to have a good looking actor I didn't need to look up to - I would need to stand on a box too. Don't remember Wanda at all. Did she play guitar? I still mostly associate Mr Ladd with Veronica Lake.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2003, 12:32:35 PM »

For You MBarnum:
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2003, 12:47:10 PM »

From the rural stretches of the ridge in South Carolina:

Dear fellow Giblets:

Here I am in Johnston on this fine Sunday afternoon.  I attended a cantata this morning at my mother's church. Tonight I go to a "little ole country church" to watch a young cousin perform something or other in a Christmas pageant.  There will be sammiches and cookies afterward!  

Yesterday, we went to Aiken SC bright and early.  In case any of you think that sounds like a noplaceplacetobe, Aiken is really happenin'!  The entirety of Aiken County is horse country and Aiken hosts some annual horse race or other.  Fred Astaire maintained a home there during his later years.  We shopped in Aiken (a lovely town) until we dropped and then came home.  We napped.  We got up and drove to see the remains of a house that had burned the night before.  We take our excitement here when/where we can.  I have also seen many fine old southern manses that have been spruced up and renovated and, sadly, been priced well above what I would have hoped such properties might sell for given the location.  But everything is pricey when it's bright and shiny.

My copy of "Wicked" was in the U.S. mail and sitting my mother's post office box today.  We were so frazzled and harried and tired on Friday and Saturday that she forgot to check her mail those days.  Never mind that I requested UPS 2-day shipping -- there is apparently a deal whereby the USPS takes over UPS deliveries in certain areas.  This is one of those areas.  While I didn't get it in 2 days, I think it got here in four.

I love this album to death.  It's going to be played many many many times.  DR Matt H -- I prefer Robert Morse's "Wizard" -- at least vocally.  But that's not to say I don't care for Grey.  I loved Morse's delivery of "Wonderful" and would love to have a recording of it.

I hope DR Matt H.'s day has gone better since the horrors of this morning.

BK:  There's been some confusion on your end that I think I can help with.  Your true love bought those five gold rings from an LA piercing salon.  That's why they are different sizes and don't fit the digits on your hands.  Two are for non-digits on your...ummm..upper chest region.  One is for your nose.  Another is for your navel...and the fifth one...well...let's say it's known as a "Prince Albert" and would be worn south of the navel IF one were so inclined to have a piercing there.

Don't do it, BK!  Don't do it!!  String 'em on a chain or something and wear them around your neck.

Well, I must return to my E&T status as this modem won't let me stay on forever.  Also, my mother has a ton of e-mails to read (better HER than me!!).

Later, Giblets!

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2003, 12:51:01 PM »

Alan Ladd trivia:  There is a picture of him hanging in the locker of Sal Mineo in the film, Rebel Without A Cause

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2003, 12:54:06 PM »

One of Johnny Mercer's last great songs - - -

Often I think this sad old world is whistling in the dark.
Just like a child, who, late from school
walks bravely home through the park.
To keep their spirits soaring and keep the night at bay.
Neither quite knowing which way they are going,
they sing the shadows away,

has long puzzled me.  Who does "their" refer to in the fourth line?
As a lyric must be immediately understandable, on some level, I can't consider this a good lyric.  I've known it for years and still see a pronoun referring back to nothing.  Another great minor-key waltz from Mancini, though.

Yes, the errancy, the truancy:
There's simply too much to do.  You have to picture a small apartment on Broadway that is strewn with unopened wedding presents.  Cleaning up is a daily assault, kind of reminiscent of an ant moving a mountain.  We do a little every day.
But then there's the packing:
So many things to remember (Newly & Bricusse reference): my sister wants the score, my mother wants the CDs with the photos, and I've no idea how many CDs of Our Wedding - The Musical I'll be distributing in person while out there.  www.WeddingMusical.com
So, there's simply no time for the friendliest place on the internet.

We leave tomorrow.
I've e-mailed all the California friends, begging them to make dates with us in advance and we've gotten exactly ONE response.  One is pitiful.  It means a tremendous amount of the trip will be spent worrying about how to fit in everybody we wish to see.  But we're very excited about that one invitation.

Finally, my computer just refuses to stay connected to the internet for more than a few minutes.  I'm writing this off-line, and everytime I try to post, I lose my connection.  Very frustrating.

Over the next three weeks, like Ron staying with his mother, we'll have very limited computer access.  But fret not, the shipping department will be fulfilling orders for Our Wedding - The Musical at www.WeddingMusical.com
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Tomovoz

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2003, 01:05:59 PM »

I have no problem with Mr Mercer's lyric at all. Maybe that is why is was indeed one of the most successful and popular lyric writers of the twentieth century - he knew what he was doing. I have no problem with "they" and "their" refering to the child and the world.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2003, 01:50:13 PM »

Posts In Perspective: This day in 2002 there were only just over 40 posts for the day.
James Thurber 1957

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2003, 02:14:16 PM »

Posts In Perspective: This day in 2002 there were only just over 40 posts for the day.

Thank you Tom!  That does put it in perspective, doesn't it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2003, 02:16:46 PM »

What care I if we achieve a new low?  I care not.  And when the errant and truant return well, hahahahahahahaha - I shall laugh and laugh because there will be such a surprise awaiting.

Just when I thought I would never find any more Bacharach rarities on CD I find another Bacharach rarities CD, and it's already, based on half a listening, become a treasured possession.  It's Bacharach from Italy, all Italian artists doing Bacharach in Italian and I am here to tell you it is divoon.  It features two tracks from the Italian cast album of Promises, Promises with Miss Catherine Spaak.

Also picked up the region 2 Valley of the Dolls DVD - non-anamorphic, but letterboxed.

Also, Jrand, I saw that Patty Duke Teen Star album and would have bought it, even though it was mono, were it not for the fact that the record itself, despite being in excellent condition, was horribly warped, just like some people I know.

Michael

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2003, 02:34:13 PM »

Well the family is in, but arrived one hour and half late as it was snowing in Montreal.

We are off not to see the Wizard, but the Lord of the Rings.

I will try to post after the film. Let's get over 100 by then.
Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2003, 02:39:21 PM »

Well, I won't know if all of the good vibes were successful unitl sometime in January.  Did anyone notice that I just typed "unitl?"  Of course, no one noticed.  So, the audition was swell, just swell:  read same scene twice, second time with directions from the director, whose comment was, "Wonderful.  You take direction well, and build on it.  I like that in an actor."  But, the casting will not be announced until January! ! !
On the other side of the coin, I presented the script of the musical I've been working on to the founder of the theater, and her comment was: "I see no problem whatsoever in getting a couple of readings and workshops going in our space."

These are the little things that make me proud to be a Kimlet, and to have wonderful people sending all sorts of good vibes.

How's Rolly?  I sent my share of g.v.s his way, too.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2003, 02:43:27 PM »

I have returned from two, count 'em, TWO trips to the grocery store.

The first was to get the Sunday papers, both the local Delaware paper and the Washington Post, which counts as the local large city paper.  Yes, it is necessary to get both papers, because the local paper has the local news the Post never carries, and the Delaware paper doesn't bother with the international and national stuff because it's already being done by the Post.  Also, der Brucer needs his crossword puzzle fixes.

But when I returned from that first trip, he leaned up in bed and said, in his most wan voice, "Did you get egg nog?  I'd really like some egg nog.  And lemons, don't forget lemons."

There's something about combining lemons and egg not that frightens me, but I trekked out again for both.  In the process, I found out something that has turned my stomach:  Hillary Duff has released a CD of Christmas songs.

It's bad enough that this little girl, still in her teens, is pulling diva stunts that would embarrass Diana Ross.  Am I really supposed to believe that this CD is anything other than a seasonal marketing ploy?

Just wait until I make a THIRD trip to the grocery store, for something else that's been forgotten.  You want humbuggy, I'll show you humbuggy!

:P

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2003, 03:15:59 PM »

DR Panni --  Thanks for the info  and clarification about your wonderful sounding Abie .  Our female black lab, Mazal, just barely missed having her 14th birthday when she passed away this past June.  And yes, many of us would love to see your couch picture of you and Debbie.

DR Jay -- Kerry and I send all good strong and positive thoughts for Roller to get much better.   Eat a latke for me this season also !  8)

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2003, 03:19:52 PM »

DR Tony -- Congrats on a good audition, and the interest in your own script as well.

DR Pogue --  I would be very interested in the information about how to order the BBC Wilde DVD that you spoke of today.  If you could either list the info here, or send me an email, I would extol your virtues to the skies.

In other words, thanks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up