Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SWANS WITHOUT WATER  (Read 20589 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:SWANS WITHOUT WATER
« Reply #120 on: December 21, 2003, 09:41:48 PM »

DR Jay - I have a feeling - vibes, if you will - that the vet will have very good news for you in the morning, and that Roller will be back with his/her(? - sorry can't recall right now) favorite Punim sooner rather than later.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #121 on: December 21, 2003, 09:43:50 PM »

Ah! MusicGuy. "Dorme Dorme Dorme" an Eydie Gorme reference for her hit on this side of the big peaceful pond. The song was featured in "Rock-A-Bye Baby" (Jerry Lewis and Connie Stevens). Memories.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Kerry

« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2003, 09:45:29 PM »

And to all good Dear Readers, YES I STILL have those checkered pants!  I think the legs are wider than the waist.  And the cuffs!  Great repository for peas and lint and God only knows what.  They still fit as of a few years ago,  I'm afraid they don't anymore-- which is prboably fine-- I'd end up looking  like an aging Brady kid waiting for Alice to do the laundry.  I wouldn't mind having the hair back though.  I can't believe DRMusicGuy posted that pic.

I'm think good thoughts about dogs and auditions and scripts and even purple tights and a chef's hat.
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2003, 09:46:05 PM »

DR SWW -  I hope der Brucer's sore throat gets better... for your sake!  Maybe he just needs more cookies!

*Oh, and according to my handy-dandy Priority Mail receipt - it looks like BK may be receiving my cookies as early as tomorrow!  -Let's just hope I sent them to the correct address!  Somewhere in the middle of Texas, right?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2003, 09:47:31 PM »

-Hmm.. that is indeed a strange turn of phrase:

"receiving my cookies"

???  I'm not sure if any innuendo can be read into that statement.... TCB?  Tomovoz?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2003, 09:50:32 PM »

DR Music Guy - and Kerry, I guess...

So, do the Sleep Comfort beds have any kind of auxiliary unit that accomodates three people?  Or more?

-I know, I know, this is a family site, but I had to go there...  Well, maybe not... But, what the heck.... It made me smile!  LOL!!!  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2003, 09:53:54 PM »

Why me Jose? Why me? I'm not the one who mentioned and giggled at "Stud Road". You are most welcome to put your cookies anywhere you please (as long as the recipient is welcoming of your offer).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2003, 10:02:06 PM »

Just finished And Now, My Love - lovely film - has a strange little detour at the end for about five minutes, but it's just a sweet and wise film and the score is one of Lai's best.

Tomovoz

« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2003, 10:07:21 PM »

George can you open the window and call out to those other Washingtonians - Jose has his Washingtons confused yet again.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2003, 10:08:29 PM »

DR td - Dontcha just hate the waitin'?  I think the worst "God, I hope I get it!" (ah, A Chorus Line reference) wait was after my audition for the graduate accompanying program at Juilliard.  I had auditioned late in the process, so my notification time was going to be short - about two to three weeks instead of the usual two to three months.  Well, I kind of knew that I wasn't going to get in - I didn't feel good about my audition, just didn't feel "right" that day - but still held out a little hope.  So.. When I got the envelope - and it was a thin one - it was not too disappointing, but still a little disheartening, nonetheless.  However, the same day I got the "rejection" letter from Juilliard, I also got a nice refund check from the summer music program I had just attended - I had auditioned while in the program (went up to NYC for the day and back).  Someone had made a major donation to cover the tuitions of the students that summer, so...  I went to the bank, then straight to Tower Records!  I think I even bought pizza that night for me and some friends.  -And then two months later I had my first professional gig at the Kennedy Center... so... Juilliard's loss ;-)

In any case - boy did I digress - I shall send positive thoughts about you in the direction of the director...

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Must cast td... Must cast td... Must cast td...[/move]
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2003, 10:10:51 PM »

Can't remember but how many days leave was DR Jane granted. Must also be about time for JMK to call in and say hello. I wonder how Ben and Ant. are coping with their English breakfast. I hope they are drinking tea. (I think it is about Breakfast time in England).
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2003, 10:33:56 PM »

DR MBarnum et al (et frank et louie et joe...) - I used to play for the annual dinner of the National Italian-American Foundation (NIAF) here in DC.  Quite the big to-do.  Usually some major celebrity (Tony Bennett, Stanley Tucci (soooo sexy in person), etc.) was featured/honored, and a U.S. President would appear - in person or by videotape.  It was a full day affair.  A medium-sized luncheon, and a major-sized dinner that evening in the ballroom of the Washington Hilton - or the "Hinckley Hilton" as it unfortunately has come to be called by some of the locals.  Well...

Part of the day's entertainment consisted of a few selections sung by some young, up-and-coming opera singers.  And these talented young men and women were chosen by none other than Ms. Sergio Franchi - Eva Franchi.  And I was the accompanist for them.

Putting the whole "show" together was quite the ordeal - but fun.  Lots of phone calls from Ms. Franchi about who was singing, and what they were singing.. or might be singing.  Then the day would arrive, and we would rehearse at 10:00am, and she would tell us what to sing and not to sing.  Then we would perform a few numbers at the luncheon - where she would present the very generous scholarship checks to the singers.  Then we would wait around - or go back to wherever - before returning that evening to perform at the dinner.

The dinner was always very "interesting"... and for some strange reason, they would always put us in a weird slot.  One year we were scheduled after some "cultural dance" demonstration - the tarantella - the tarantula dance.  Well, the dancers performed/demonstrated it... then performed/demonstrated it again... Then they got audience volunteers up on stage to dance with them... First the children... Then more children... Then the adults... Then more adults... Then the adults and the children...  So... about an hour(!) later we finally went on.  Of course, by this time, most of the audience was leaving and/or too tired out by the dancing, or, worse yet, talking about how cute/stupid/handsome/gawky they looked while dancing.  *And earlier in the evening that had supped on some major amounts of food, and danced to the current configuration of the Louis Prima Big Band - those cats really know how to swing!  They wouldn't even get quiet during the introductions!  In any case, the singers sang, I played for them, then we went home.

Oh - I was talking about Ms. Franchi...  She really was/is quite the bundle of enegy, and still very devoted to her husband and his work after his death.  If I remember correctly, if she had not lobbied RCA so actively, they would not have had released any his recordings on CD - even though he was a best-selling artist for them on vinyl, and there was interest from the general public to have his recordings transferred to CD.  And the Sergio Franchi Foundation still grants scholarships to deserving young singers every year.

*Sidebar:  Each of the singers I accompanied when I did these functions has gone on to some nice careers at La Scala, The Met, etc.  I can say, "I played for them when..."
Make Your Own Luck.

Jed

« Reply #132 on: December 21, 2003, 10:40:29 PM »

Here, at long last, is the promised picture... Jed and his purple tights. :D

Will catch up on missed posts and shall do more posting myself tomorrow, but for now, off to bed!

« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 10:44:00 PM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #133 on: December 21, 2003, 10:40:51 PM »

Great story Jose. Sometimes I think you are much older or perhaps have led a few lives. This DR really appreciates your stories about your musical experiences - the other ones are I guess not suitable for this site. (I was just remembering a story about a certain English male singer who put it together!).
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2003, 10:44:33 PM »

DR Emily and SWW - Re: Passports....

There was an interesting little article in the Washington Post's Travel section the other week.  A reader wrote in since he had trouble getting a new passport due to the fact that the form he filled out at the post office was an old one and did not have the new, higher renewal fee listed on it.  So, when he sent in his forms, he was sent back everything and told to reapply since he did not enclose the correct amount for his fee.  And just sending in a new check for the new amount would not suffice.  He had to go through everything again at the post office in order to get his new passport.  Well, he pointed out the old forms to the post office personnel, and hoped for the best for future applicants.  Well, when he went back, he noticed that new forms were still not in the bins, and that no sign had been posted stating what the new fees were.  So... after some complaining to the right people, he finally got the updated forms, and, hopefully, saved some future headaches for some future passport applicants.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2003, 10:44:35 PM »

Well, with this post I am happy to inform you we have not achieved a new low.  However, what care I whether we do or we don't?  I care not.  Because soon I shall laugh and laugh and I will be giddy in my laughter and I will dance about like a faerie piper piping a merry tune.

Tomovoz

« Reply #136 on: December 21, 2003, 10:44:47 PM »

Thanks DR Jed. Had to alter my post totally. I could not see a photo at all. Now even your trumpet is showing.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: December 21, 2003, 10:47:06 PM »

DR Kerry and MusicGuy (again)....

You know, if you still have those clothes, you could probably make a pretty penny by selling them to some high-end "vintage" clothing store... -And that pic brought back fond memories of my yellow Buster Brown outfit from when I was a wee lad -yes, I used to be "wee".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: December 21, 2003, 10:48:07 PM »

DR Jed - Great pic!  Oh, so are purple tights period?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #139 on: December 21, 2003, 10:48:53 PM »

Back from a lovely long day with my daughter, Rachel. She slept in while I took my morning walk. Then we went to the Studio City Farmers' Market and then for brunch -- where we ran into my agent. We did various things in the afternoon, then went to an early evening WGA screening of LOST IN TRANSLATION after which there was a Q&A with Sofia Coppola, moderated by Quentin Tarantino. Rachel chated with him after the Q&A and then we went for Japanese food (which you HAVE to do after that film). Then we went to Tower Records and now we're home. Whew!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2003, 10:56:03 PM »

...And when I came home there was a "Happy Holidays" phone message from my childhood friend, Carol (see the "mouflon" story of a few days ago) who lives in Toronto. It's amazing that I'm still in touch with someone I met in Grade 5. Well - I think it's amazing. I suppose people who grew up in one country in one basic neighborhood wouldn't think it was anything special.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 10:56:59 PM by Panni »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2003, 10:59:29 PM »

DR Maya - Thank you for your very honest and positive review of Camelot.  It's always so nice to meet "young people" who are genuinely enthusiastic about theatre and the future of theatre.  I tend to deal with one too many jaded "theatre people" - and they're not even out of college yet!

It was very nice meeting you again - as well as your mother, and your friend Isis.  And it was nice getting to talk to you a bit more this time.  I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable about the whole BC/EFA collection, if I did - I was just pointing out that the audiences have been very generous over the past week.  I was not trying to make you give more.  ;-)  -Every check, dollar, nickel and penny helps!

-And it looks like we'll break $17,000(!) with today's take - and that's only after collecting after seven shows!!!  And for a theatre that only holds about 800 people, that's very good.  We even ran out of posters to sign!  However, the generosity of the three leads - Steven Skybell, Matt Bogart and Kate Suber is truly wonderful.  Since we're out of posters, they now meet and greet and sign in the lobby after the shows.  We have a couple of mini-posters left, and they've been signing those "on demand".

-And, Maya, as for Matt Bogart's CDs... I'll see if I can put in a good word with Santa for you... ;)

I also had the pleasure of supping with Mr. Bogart between shows today.   :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 11:00:48 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: December 21, 2003, 11:10:04 PM »

Great story Jose. Sometimes I think you are much older or perhaps have led a few lives. This DR really appreciates your stories about your musical experiences - the other ones are I guess not suitable for this site. (I was just remembering a story about a certain English male singer who put it together!).

DR Tomovoz - There are days I think back on my "career" and think, "Eh..."  And then there are those days, when I think back, and think, "WOW!... Thank You!"

I've been very fortunate with some of my work "experiences".  The shows I've had to opportunity to work on.  The people I've had the pleasure - and displeasure (great stories, however) - to work with.  The places some of these gigs have taken me to.  -Sorry for all the dangling participles.  The past two years alone have provided me with more memories than I can remember at once.  So many good things have come my way, and I'm finally learning to really appreciate it all.  -And I'm also very happy that I still have a sense of wonder and nervousness whenever I start a new gig.  Work is good.  Work is fun.  And, thankfully, my work is my life.

As for that certain English man...  I'll leave you with this "thought" - "Doing body shots in the Watergate Brasserie!"
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2003, 11:10:58 PM »

DR Panni aka Anna etc etc etc. I am always amazed at how people stay in contact so long. In my experience it is mostly women who keep friends and keep in contact. My older sister (60) still has her grade five friends as her best friends now - husband go, children leave the nest, grandchildren take over but the friendships are still as strong. I am much closer to my sister's chilhood friends that I am to mine. My dentist is a school friend (but not that close) from when I was 12 and I sometimes email my best mate from high school but we have  only seen each other a few times since we left school.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: December 21, 2003, 11:12:45 PM »

Delightful stories to share Jose and I don't mind what you dangle (as long as it doesn't frighten the horses).
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: December 21, 2003, 11:15:10 PM »

DR Jay, Laura and Sandra - Is there any chance you could post the cast list from this year's Plaid Tidings?  I'm wondering if Paul Binotto is back this year.  He was Candide in Candide at Arena Stage.  He did the role twice... with 14(!) years between productions.  What a beautiful voice!  And who would guess that he also sings in a pretty hard-driving rock band too!

And did we get the "who supped on what" breakdown yet?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2003, 11:24:22 PM »

DR Danise - Great "warm-fuzzy" story.  It's always nice knowing you're being remembered by someone.  Especially when that someone is not related to you. ;)

--Oohhh.... I think my mom has started making her annual Christmas batch of pizzelles!  I can smell something good coming from the kitchen... I may have to investigate sooner or later.. probably sooner.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: December 21, 2003, 11:34:28 PM »

DR Matt H - Backtracking to the other day - I still remember how the author of "The Summer of the Swans" described the "oval" of skin as the boy bent over - as his shirt came untucked from the back of his pants.  The first time I read that passage, I remember thinking, "That's exactly how to describe it!".  I may now have to go dig out my copy.  I really can't remember any other specifics about the book, but I do remember liking it a lot.

*Did you - or any other DRs - ever read "Friendly Relations" by Jane & Michael Stern - aka the "Roadfood" writers?  Neat little story about a teenage couple - children of diplomats - who run away and explore the US.  Great portraits of various people and towns.  The travels of the Sterns served them well.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 11:41:27 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2003, 11:35:07 PM »

I don't remember that name from the cast they told me.  I do remember Stan Chandler and David Engel, though.  The other two boys I'd not heard of.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2003, 11:45:14 PM »

Loved the pics, BK!  Jed, you look simply adorable in your fabled purple tights!

Jrand--thank you for the compliment on my review!

Jose (or should that be Santa, hehe?)--I'm glad you liked the review I wrote!  Usually when I write them, I try to think constructively too, but I thought everything came together so beautifully that it was really hard for me to pick out anything that I thought needed changing!  I try not to be jaded...I mean, I have seen a lot of shows, but the joy I felt at going to a Broadway show for the first time when I was 13 has not dissipated.  May I return the compliment?  You've always seemed so good-natured and enthusiastic both times we've met!

I didn't really feel uncomfortable with the BC/EFA thing, I only wished that I carried cash!  That is absolutely incredible how much you took in today!  WOW!  That is awesome.

Thank you so much for trying to get me Matt Bogart's CD for me ;D !  From the speech at the end, he sounded like just a really funny guy.  A wonderful dining companion I would imagine!

Well, it's late and I should get to bed...goodnight everyone!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up