Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: KEEPING MY HEAD SCREWED ON STRAIGHT  (Read 35870 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:KEEPING MY HEAD SCREWED ON STRAIGHT
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2006, 08:44:56 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.

Favorite cartoon character - Daffy Duck.

Favorite cartoons (at least the funniest and/or weirdest) - Tex Avery's Rock-a-Bye Bear (fall out of your seat funny), and Chew Chew Baby (fall out of your seat weird - about a cannibal baby).

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2006, 08:49:30 AM »

I also love all the Merrie Melodies cartoons (I Love To Sing-a!) and the music of Carl Stalling.

The new Raymond Scott compilation that I mentioned recently should be on the shelves soon. (Scott wrote a lot of the music that Stalling adapted for WB cartoons.) This set not only features the instantly recognizable "Powerhouse" (the theme that would be summoned whenever you'd see a conveyor belt or big machinery) in 20-some versions by different artists, but also Scott's original recordings followed by one or two contemporary covers of each song. Produced by the brilliant Irwin Chusid, Scott's curator. Highly recommended!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2006, 08:53:20 AM »

I have an old 78 of Cab Calloway singing "I Love-ta Sing-a".

Edisaurus

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2006, 09:03:19 AM »

I have an old 78 of Cab Calloway singing "I Love-ta Sing-a".

No WAY!

Well, if you happen to have one of those ION turntable USB thingys like BK has, and you happen to transfer it to CD, I happen to know someone who would LOVE a copy! ;D
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2006, 09:04:43 AM »

BK, does your ION turntable have a speed setting for 78's?

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2006, 09:06:14 AM »

Another favorite is "Flowers for Madame" a Warner Bros short which was a musical parade of flowers interrupted by fire. Very cute!

« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 09:06:33 AM by MBarnum »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2006, 09:12:40 AM »

The ION doesn't have a 78 speed, but I do believe you can transfer in  78s at either 45 or 33 1/3 and the software will correct the speed to 78.  I haven't tried that feature yet.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2006, 09:14:53 AM »

Oh God DR Pogue.....you just named the 2 cartoons that seem to be burned deep into DP Kerry's brain from when he was a young tot.  Somewhere (at one time) we had both of them dubbed off on videotape.   That "Fedora" tune can really burn a hole in your brain!!

AMAZON

This set has "I Love to Sing-a" - I can not find a copy of Bashful Buzzard any where.

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

FJL

« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2006, 09:29:41 AM »

BK - Your FedEx package has reached your mail place.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2006, 09:39:26 AM »

I always loved Bug, Daffy, Sylvester, Tweetie, Wilie E. Coyote and The Road Runner!  I've also liked Betty Boop and the ones from earlier eras, but that kind in general...I didn't know so much about specific characters/titles, I just really liked the style of the early cartoons. :)

« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 09:43:20 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Edisaurus

« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2006, 09:44:39 AM »

This set has "I Love to Sing-a" - I can not find a copy of Bashful Buzzard any where.

I think Beaky Buzzard was a recurring character. We used him in a documentary Greg worked on about buzzards, but it was too expensive to clear the rights. That's a really good film, sitting on the shelf..
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 09:45:21 AM by Edisaurus »

Ginny

« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2006, 09:55:34 AM »

Tuesday greetings!  It's a blustery day here in SW Ohio and I think I saw a snow flurry or two on my drive to work.

TOD - Although I watched hours and hours of cartoons as a child, I have no strong memories of particular ones.  My dad and I watched Huckleberry Hound together.  What I'm trying to remember, too, are all the local (Detroit and Windsor) TV hosts who introduced the cartoons - Sagebrush Shorty, Jingles the Clown, Poopdeck Paul, Milky the (Twin Pines Dairy) Clown, and Wixie (of Wixie's Wonderland).  Googling to confirm these names, I found my lunchtime entertainment at

Detroit Kid Show
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Edisaurus

« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2006, 09:58:42 AM »

DR JRand56, thanks for the tip on The Prisoner DVD's. I have Vol. 1 &2 of the series, and the only extra it has is the "rare foreign file cabinet" scenes, which simply amount to the same file cabinet with the "resigned" drawer redone with that word in different languages. Pretty lame extra!

I hate it when they then release an anniversary issue with all this good extra stuff after I've bought the first ones. (Well, Greg bought these for me for Xmas...they were my very first DVD's.) Damn them! (Or course I'm going to order it!)

Edisaurus

« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2006, 10:10:01 AM »

I went to DeepDiscountDVD but didn't see the 2 for 1 option. JRand, can you help me find it?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2006, 10:25:52 AM »

Save the Cheerleader...

...save the World!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2006, 10:27:20 AM »

I'm supposed to be getting my volume 2 of the Astaire-Rogers movies (in that exclusive Amazon case that includes slimline keep cases for the first batch, as well...so they can all fit in the same box).

Time...and UPS...will tell whether it's today or not (UPS' site says it's out for delivery, but that NEVER means it's going to BE delivered the same day).
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2006, 10:30:23 AM »

Back at work after a long weekend.  Sigh.   Many early fires to put out...and now this lull.

I will say I find myself sitting more erect (upright) as a result of recent "adjustments".

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2006, 10:31:06 AM »

I always loved Bug, Daffy, Sylvester, Tweetie, Wilie E. Coyote and The Road Runner!  I've also liked Betty Boop and the ones from earlier eras, but that kind in general...I didn't know so much about specific characters/titles, I just really liked the style of the early cartoons. :)

Droopy was always a favorite...and Foghorn Leghorn, too.

Ginny

« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2006, 10:57:30 AM »

Off to a meeting that I don't want to attend...

Bye for now.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2006, 10:59:04 AM »

I think Beaky Buzzard was a recurring character. We used him in a documentary Greg worked on about buzzards, but it was too expensive to clear the rights. That's a really good film, sitting on the shelf..

Does this, from EXPERTS - Beaky Buzzard count as a work-up?

The character first appeared in the 1942 cartoon Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid, directed by Bob Clampett. The cartoon's plot revolves around the hopeless attempts of the brainless buzzard, here called "Killer", to catch Bugs Bunny for his domineering mother back at the nest. Beaky's voice, modeled after ventriloquist Edgar Bergen's character Mortimer Snerd, is provided by voice actor Kent Rogers. Clampett brought the character back in the 1945 film The Bashful Buzzard, a cartoon that closely mirrors its predecessor, only this time featuring Beaky's hapless hunting without Bugs as an antagonist. Rogers reprised his role as the character's voice for the film, but he died in World War II before finishing all his dialogue, so Stan Freberg was brought in to finish the work (as was Eddie Bartell, according to some sources).

Warner Bros. apparently thought they had something in the character, and Beaky was featured in much of the Looney Tunes merchandising of the time. He also appeared in several issues of Dell Comics' Looney Tunes series of comic books, usually paired with another minor player, Henery Hawk.

Clampett left the studio in 1946, ending Beaky's career for a time. The character was eventually brought back in the 1950 Friz Freleng film The Lion's Busy, now voiced by the versatile Mel Blanc. Freleng made the buzzard smarter, pitting him against a dim-witted lion named Leo. Bob McKimson also featured the character in a film that year, Strife with Father. McKimson's Beaky is again back to his idiotic self, this time under the tutelage of his adoptive father, a sparrow who is trying to teach Beaky how to survive in the wild.

Most recently, Beaky Buzzard has had minor roles in various Warner Bros. projects, such as Tiny Toon Adventures, where he plays the mentor of the minor character; Concord Condor, or the movies Space Jam and Looney Tunes: Back in Action, where he has a short cameo.

der Brucer

Ben

« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2006, 11:03:26 AM »

Ginny, what a great Detroit TV site! Even though I consider myself to be from Minnesota (though after 26 years in New York I'm now a New Yorker), I was born in Detroit and lived there for enough years to remember the Uptown and Faygo commercials. I also used to watch Soupy Sales while in Detroit (actually Lincoln Park and Wyandotte with grandparents in River Rouge and Ecorse)

When we moved to Minneapolis we had our own local television lunch show called

Lunch With Casey

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2006, 11:06:37 AM »

Yakky Doodle remains a major favorite from the 1960s.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2006, 11:09:13 AM »

Back from a jog and must now package up some stuff to ship.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2006, 11:14:53 AM »

I also love all the Merrie Melodies cartoons (I Love To Sing-a!) and the music of Carl Stalling.

One of Woody's favs:

It even has a track for George: Medley: Dinner Music For A Pack Of Hungary Cannibals

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2006, 11:18:49 AM »

Your mother has no control and you do whatever the hell you want!)

I sense a recurring theme.

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2006, 11:21:53 AM »

One of Woody's favs:

It even has a track for George: Medley: Dinner Music For A Pack Of Hungary Cannibals

der Brucer

Cool!  

However, I just checked the library system where I work and we have one copy of the cassette in "Trace" status, which basically means that it's missing.  There is also one lost cassette and one lost CD.  In other words...no live copies. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2006, 11:23:39 AM »

Cool!  

However, I just checked the library system where I work and we have one copy of the cassette in "Trace" status, which basically means that it's missing.  There is also one lost cassette and one lost CD.  In other words...no live copies. :P

There were two volumes of the Stalling Project music.

And I think I recall another CD of music from Warner Brothers cartoons.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 11:30:20 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2006, 11:24:17 AM »

It's almost time for lunch.

So many choices, so few temptations....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2006, 11:28:34 AM »

I went to DeepDiscountDVD but didn't see the 2 for 1 option. JRand, can you help me find it?

There is a Buy 1 Get 1 Free offer going on for a limited time.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2006, 11:39:32 AM »

There were two volumes of the Stalling Project music.

And I think I recall another CD of music from Warner Brothers cartoons.

This one?

Here's Vol2:

der Brucer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up