Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MUTANT MOUSE  (Read 55192 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:THE MUTANT MOUSE
« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2006, 12:42:23 PM »

... I couldn't help but think about the "One Halloween" song from APPLAUSE.  I'll try to find the lyric online - very haunting.

I tried to no avail (not even "That Russian Site" had the lyrics'

I did find a nice line from Peter Filichia:

Remember that Halloween when you were nine? You probably don't, and I know I sure can't. But Eve Harrington did in the musical Applause, where she sang a Strouse-and-Adams song called "One Halloween" that told about what happened on that Halloween when she was nine. She dressed herself in a fairy queen costume -- only to have her father chide, "You look like a whore." So, Eve said, she washed her face, took off her dress, and threw it away. She also apparently started that night on the road to becoming a scary person worthy of the scariest Halloween.

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2006, 12:45:40 PM »

Cage of Hell?  DR derBRUCER - I think we've all been there at one time or another in our lives.

Actually it's the "Edge of Hell" - probably a gateway to La Cage.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2006, 12:49:57 PM »

I now have a working nonregional DVD player that operates!  

And surely a "DVD player that operates!" will bring you more pleasure with less pain than your surgeon did :D

der Brucer

Sorry, didn't mean to call your surely.

FJL

« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2006, 12:57:52 PM »

Elmore - thanks for the info.

There's apparently a BARBER OF SEVILLE video which they sell on the Met Opera site that features Florez, but I don't think it's the Bartlett Sher production.  

But they're charging $205 per ticket to sit in row S (why do people complain about Bway prices but rarely complain about opera prices - or do they complain and I just haven't noticed?).  So maybe I'll hold off and catch it in its spring engagement if a telecast doesn't happen.    

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2006, 12:59:37 PM »

And surely a "DVD player that operates!" will bring you more pleasure with less pain than your surgeon did :D

der Brucer

Sorry, didn't mean to call your surely.

Whatever pleasure the surgeon brought was all yours and none of mine, but the DVD player has already brought me nirvana.  I received in the mail today the  Region 2 DVD of the Bob Hope CAT AND THE CANARY, which I believe I will watch tonight for Halloween.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2006, 01:05:02 PM »

Elmore - thanks for the info.

There's apparently a BARBER OF SEVILLE video which they sell on the Met Opera site that features Florez, but I don't think it's the Bartlett Sher production.  

But they're charging $205 per ticket to sit in row S (why do people complain about Bway prices but rarely complain about opera prices - or do they complain and I just haven't noticed?).  So maybe I'll hold off and catch it in its spring engagement if a telecast doesn't happen.    

DR FJL, I own the DVD you mention; the production is from Madrid, I believe, and it's a bit too artificial for my taste.  The cast is good.  If you're thinking about later in the season be sure Mr Florez is in it.  He's also wonderful in a beautiful DVD of Verdi's glorious FALSTAFF, based on Shakespeare's "Merry Wives of Windsor."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2006, 01:08:59 PM »

« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 01:09:18 PM by elmore3003 »

FJL

« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2006, 01:17:42 PM »

Larry, good point.  I see Florez is not doing the April and May performances, and sure enough, much closer seats are available for the non-Florez performances, like row F center (non-Florez) for cheaper than the row S (Florez) tickets.  Since my main interest in it is to see what Sher and Michael Yeargen do with the piece, maybe I'll go for the non-Florez dates?????  A quandry.

Or am I missing something, and is row S considered a better seat than row F at the Met?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2006, 01:26:08 PM »

Hence the record low number of postings!  ;D

Actually, it wasn't a record low. The night the server went down, we got to 118 that day, the lowest on the new forum. Before that, during an otherwise regular day of posting, we only got to 122 which is the official all-time low.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2006, 01:28:36 PM »

Glad you got the DVD player set up with no hassles, DR Elmore. I love new electronic toys, but they are always a pain in the butt ready to happen when one starts to install them.

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2006, 01:31:05 PM »

Lunch ran very long today, so I only had time to watch two things.

I began with GREY GARDENS. Fascinating but ultimately sad, rather pathetic look at these lonely frivolous women pecking away at each other for their only pleasure in life. Amazing that educated, cultured people would choose to live this way. I will listen to the cast album now with this "story" tucked away in my consciousness.

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2006, 01:32:45 PM »

I watched a LAW & ORDER rerun from the Angie Harmon years, for me, the last time the show had a first rate, suitable cast from the top on down. The story had to do with an investment banker doing money laundering with the mob and who commmits murder and tries to blame it on them.

Tomovoz

« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2006, 01:38:11 PM »

DR Elmore will now at long last be able to watch Caroline O'Connor in "Mack & Mabel".  (If the disc is to be found).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 02:23:37 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2006, 01:49:20 PM »

Of course, prior to this discussion board, during the old days we sometimes thought that fifty posts was spectacular!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2006, 01:52:44 PM »

Here's what I love: I got an e-mail from the Simply Sondheim producer saying that a friend had ordered the CD over a month ago and never received it, but that their credit card had been charged.  I do understand that stuff happens, which is why I always ship with delivery confirmation - very easy to check.  In any case, I said for the gentleman to drop me a line.  In the meantime she gave me his name.  I went out and spent twenty minutes going through the invoices - nothing.  I then spent another twenty minutes going through paypal's records - nothing.  So, he either thinks he ordered it and didn't, he ordered it under another name, or he ordered it elsewhere - the one thing we KNOW is that he did not order it from Kritzerland and that his credit card was not charged by paypal.  I suspect the answer will be that he ordered it elsewhere.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 01:53:42 PM by bk »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2006, 01:57:30 PM »

Larry, good point.  I see Florez is not doing the April and May performances, and sure enough, much closer seats are available for the non-Florez performances, like row F center (non-Florez) for cheaper than the row S (Florez) tickets.  Since my main interest in it is to see what Sher and Michael Yeargen do with the piece, maybe I'll go for the non-Florez dates?????  A quandry.

Or am I missing something, and is row S considered a better seat than row F at the Met?

DR FJL, I see a lot of dress rehearsals at the Met and I sit everywhere depending on the tickets.  If you want a good look at the production, the closer the better.  I must say, the cast looks wonderful.

http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/season/production.aspx?id=8863&detect=yes

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2006, 02:01:21 PM »

Glad you got the DVD player set up with no hassles, DR Elmore. I love new electronic toys, but they are always a pain in the butt ready to happen when one starts to install them.

Thanks, DR MattH!  I realize it wasn't as maddening as the VCR since that had to be plugged into the tv with all the direct cable nonsense.  

There's always that moment you think, will it work?  

On a different note, I did get my "Ultimate Collection" Astaire-Rogers set today, and it arrived by USPS truck, not the usual postal delivery.  Perhaps yours is en route as I type.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2006, 02:03:12 PM »

What a world has opened up to dear reader elmore.  If he goes back though previous notes, he'll see the wonders that are available in various regions.  Of course, right this minute I cannot recommend Letter From An Unknown Woman highly enough.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2006, 02:03:36 PM »

I shall now be on my way to LACC and our first blocking rehearsal.

MBarnum

« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2006, 02:06:05 PM »

DR Elmore, happy Region code 2 shopping...I know some wonderful Hong Kong musicals movies you can buy!

Matt H.

« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2006, 02:18:14 PM »

On a different note, I did get my "Ultimate Collection" Astaire-Rogers set today, and it arrived by USPS truck, not the usual postal delivery.  Perhaps yours is en route as I type.

I got my shipping notice on SUnday, and usually it's two days after receiving it that the package arrives, so I'm hoping for tomorrow or Wednesday at the very latest.

Matt H.

« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2006, 02:19:24 PM »

Guess it's time for dining room cleaning. Then, I have last night's DEXTER to look forward to (as well as COLD CASE).

WBBL.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2006, 02:29:38 PM »

DR Elmore will now at long last be able to watch Caroline O'Connor in "Mack & Mabel".  (If the disc is to be found).

I can't find a thing - nothing to suggest such a DVD even exists. Do you have any reference as to its "being" - or might someone be referring to something Pirate Jenny does.

der Brucer

FJL

« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2006, 02:31:58 PM »

Looks like SINGING NUN was first runner-up in the Audience Award in the NYMF prizes.  Congrats to Larry.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/103122.html

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2006, 02:42:57 PM »

Larry has a DVD disc of about 15 minutes from the London performance.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2006, 02:45:50 PM »

Hooray for the NUN.  
No I did not mean Larry.

Congratulations DR Elmore.
Appreciative hugs for the guy on the aisle!
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2006, 02:47:39 PM »

Larry has a DVD disc of about 15 minutes from the London performance.

That's pretty cool!  I wonder why only 15 minutes? ::)

;D

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2006, 02:48:00 PM »

And Congrats to Larry on the success of The...Singing Nun!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2006, 02:49:53 PM »

DR Elmore, happy Region code 2 shopping...I know some wonderful Hong Kong musicals movies you can buy!

And you can also pick up this little gem, which will be released in a few weeks:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000HXDENK/imdb-button/

(Also available domestically...I just like seeing it in Japanese!)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2006, 02:52:06 PM »

You're trying to scare me for Halloween, right?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up