Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MAIDS  (Read 20912 times)

Michael

Re:THE MAIDS
« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2003, 01:53:34 PM »

It is Keith Michell no "t" in the last name

He is a native of Australia

The Keith Michell Theatre, within the Northern Festival Centre is named after the actor Keith Michell who grew up in Warnertown, 5 kilometres from Port Pirie."

106 Gertrude Street
(PO Box 629)
PORT PIRIE SA 5540
Ph: 8633 8500

he was Georges in the Australian production of La Cage Aux Folles

Mr. Michell is probably retired as he is 77 or so.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2003, 01:54:46 PM »

I went to pull the laserdisc of WHEN THE BOYS MEET THE GIRLS to watch later and remembered I have the soundtrack LP, not the laserdisc of the film. Argh! I'll have to make do with the laserdisc of WHERE THE BOYS ARE. I have my restaurant dinner party in about an hour and a half.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: December 22, 2003, 02:03:17 PM »

Isn't it grand fun having this number of posts by two o'clock?  I'm quite jiggy with it.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #123 on: December 22, 2003, 02:08:17 PM »

DR Jon -- Thanks for showing us your beautiful new baby pics...  what DR Kerry told you is absolutely correct!  When they first lock eyes with you and reach up and wrap that incredibly tiny hand around just one of your fingers, it is a done deal.  Your mouth slacks open, your heart drops out of your chest, and you experience a new feeling unlike anything up to that point.

Kerry and I may only be uncles to our first nephew, but we helped raise him as much as the anyone else in the family for the first 3 years.  He is still a sweet, incredible kid at "almost 10."

Enjoy all the time you can Jon, 'cause you are going to blink, and he will be starting junior high school.

MusicGuy

« Reply #124 on: December 22, 2003, 02:10:12 PM »

Dear esteemed, erudite, & slinky BK --

Interesting to hear about the earthquake with you up in the highrise.  All I could think of was the voice of Dick Lane doing his old signature comment..."whoa nellie!!"

Ride it out big boy!

td

• td
« Reply #125 on: December 22, 2003, 02:10:13 PM »

Another fav is Corn, Water, and Wood by Michael Martin Murphy

Not to be confused with Corn Riggs and Barley by Paul Giovanni, from the film THE WICKER MAN.

And onto something else. . .
The BABY is breathtakingly beauteous!
Congrats!
Mazel tov!
. . .and all that jazz.

Sincerely - thanks for posting those pictures of your new addition.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

MusicGuy

« Reply #126 on: December 22, 2003, 02:12:54 PM »

DR Jay -- What wonderful news about Roller....I was thinking of him and you all through last evening.

And yes, I do know one more Chanukah song, and I always include it in my traditional "Christmas medley" at concerts.  It is called "Dreydl Spin, Dreydl Turn," and it is this wonderful old world type melody in F minor.  It really gets going at the end.

Hora, anyone??

MusicGuy

« Reply #127 on: December 22, 2003, 02:16:12 PM »

Favorite Christmas songs...

O Holy Night
Have Yourself  A Merry Little Christmas
Under The Christmas Mistletoe  (very obscure)

and an incredibly complex, ornate, orchestral arrangement of "O Come, All Ye Faithful" that Kerry and I have only on an unidentified cassette tape.  The arrangement and drama are even more over the top than some of the stuff that I arrange......and that is going some!!

Emily

« Reply #128 on: December 22, 2003, 02:27:54 PM »

Okay... so here I am in an empty office on the last work day before Christmas (for me at least :D).

I have yet to hear exactly what I will be getting as a Christmas bonus but have been promised one.  I guess that goes to show how disorganized the Toronto people are... it's Dec. 22 and they have yet to think out the bonuses!  I hope mine is cash and not some stinkin' gift certificate...

Jennifer - I didn't realise you know so much about international border law! ;)  In your last message you said I would be fine if I had a passport and a photo id... did you mean birth certificate instead of a passport? I hope you did... :)

Andrea: No comment re: Alexandra.  Really.   ::)

OKAY BUOYS AND GULLS THIS IS AN ORDER!

When I get back from New York I want you all to get on my case about not having a passport.  Each and every one of you must nag me into doing it.  I have no self-discipline when it comes to large lines and bad photos.  Starting January 2, let the nagging commence.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Laura II

« Reply #129 on: December 22, 2003, 02:28:34 PM »

DRs Jay and Tomovoz--Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. It truly means a lot. I have yet to speak with my friend today, but I should be checking in with him soon.

Jay--I'm so glad to hear Roller is getting better! I'm really sorry I forgot to wish you and him good vibes last night. My mind was somewhere else. Belated good vibes, though!

Jon--Your son is adorable! Congratulations! Feel free to post more pics!

Hope all of the West Coast readers are doing all right after the earthquake!

Oh, a Christmas song I forgot to add last night: Carol of the Bells! Also, "Joy to the World (A Christmas Prayer)" and the cast of Chicago's song on Carols for a Cure IV.

I know another Hanukkah song...It goes "Hanukkah, oh Hanukkah, come light the menorah!" and so on. I also vaguely remember a Kwanzaa song from elementary school. Each year, we'd have a holiday singalong, and we sang Christmas songs along with a few Hanukkah and Kwanzaa songs.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

MusicGuy

« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2003, 02:29:41 PM »

For DR Charles Pogue --

I would be very grateful if you could give me the information about how to order the DVD set that you talked about, produced by the BBC and containing 4 Oscar Wilde plays and a documentary.

I know you are busy Charles, so whenever you could squeeze in the time, it will be very appreciated.  

Thanks very much.   8)

MusicGuy

« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2003, 02:33:01 PM »

DR Jason --     I just wanted to send you an extra holday wish, and let you know that Kerry and I both are thinking of you.  I hope you have a nice Christmas....I also wish I could push a magic button and have you appear out here to have Christmas Eve dinner with us.

Drop us a note when you get a free minute, and take good care of yourself.

Jennifer

« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2003, 02:37:38 PM »

Jennifer - I didn't realise you know so much about international border law! ;)  In your last message you said I would be fine if I had a passport and a photo id... did you mean birth certificate instead of a passport? I hope you did... :)

Sorry if I said passport and photo id, i meant birth certificate and photo id. As long as your birth certificate is valid.

Yes, I know a lot about crossing borders and getting items across borders. It's my specialty :)

Oh a word of warning.  You know how you keep saying you want to marry an American?  Well I wouldn't mention that to the people at the border :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 02:43:51 PM by Jennifer »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #133 on: December 22, 2003, 02:39:06 PM »

As I found it in a store...Tower Records in Glendale...I'm sure you could order directly through them, though it is a BBC video and is distributed through Warner Bros.  It's called the Oscar Wilde Collection.  It is slugged with the internet address of www.bbcamerica.com  ; so perhaps, it can be ordered through them.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2003, 02:46:27 PM »

DR Michael Shayne, I knew Michell was a native Australian...I think he might have been discovered by Olivier, who cast him as MacDuff in a 1955 production of the Scottish play, in which Olivier played the moody, murdering thane.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2003, 02:52:11 PM »

Potatoes and onions are grated. Knuckles are fine, thanks. Latkes will be served in about an hour. Sour cream or apple sauce?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2003, 02:58:48 PM »

Isn't Keith Michell in Irma La Douce?

MusicGuy

« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2003, 03:01:57 PM »

DR Charles Pogue --  Thanks so much for the info ! :)

DR Dan-Toronto....well, I'm a hopeless goy, so I probably offend by using both sour cream AND applesauce.  Also, a little salt.  Sure wish I could be there for Latke Time !!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2003, 03:10:54 PM »

BK, Keith Michell was indeed in Irma La Douce, I believe  hewas the first British Cervantes/Quixote in Man of La Mancha (as said earlier, I have a recording of the entire play with him and Joan Diener), and he also was in a musical about the Brownings, ROBERT & ELIZABETH.  From what I've been able to glean about him on the internet, I think he may have moved back to Australia to become an esteemed and venerable institution there.  I'm hoping Tomovoz can maybe update us on his recent doings.

Tomovoz

« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2003, 03:16:08 PM »

All those posts about the wonderful Mr Michell. Last performance here - only a few years back - was as "Scrooge" in a wonderful production of the musical.
We met him (accidently) after the show. He was indeed a charming man. He is of course starred in "Robert And Elizabeth" and narrates the delighful "Captain Beaky" on two recordings. UK residents would be very familiar with the character "Hissing Sid".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2003, 03:25:40 PM »

Michell also played the role of Robert Browning in the play "Dear Love" - entirely written from the letters of Browning and Barrett.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2003, 03:31:44 PM »

I'm quite fond of Robert and Elizabeth, especially the beautiful ballad I Know Now.  I also like him in Irma, just wanted to make sure I was remembering correctly.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2003, 03:33:29 PM »

Please forgive me for being E & T since Saturday night.  I am still suffering from pneumonia, so yesterday I stayed in bed as long as I could before I had to get ready to go do the matinee of Oliver.  Two of my very dear friends were supposed to come to the show yesterday with her mother and a family friend of her mother’s.  When I made their reservations for four, I neglected to mention that I would prefer that my friends not be seated in the front row, since, as Ann pointed out in her review last week, the front row is about two feet away from the edge of the stage.

Well, knowing that my party of four was in the front row, I did my best not to make any eye contact with the audience, a neat trick during Reviewing the Situation where I have been directed to address several lines to different audience members.  Somehow, I managed it, which, as it turned out, was a good thing. When I took my curtain call I looked out at my friends only to find that the fourth member of the party was not their old family friend, but instead was my best friend from high school and college who flew up from L.A. to surprise me.  

As a result of my surprise, the show was followed by dinner out, which was followed by hours of reminiscences, before I finally took him back to his father’s place.  By the time I got home, it was way past my bedtime and AOL kept kicking me out, so I finally gave up trying to post.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2003, 03:40:43 PM »

So is your association with AOL having some problems TCB. Maybe you too need a larger bed. Check with DRs Kerry, MusicGuy and Jose about bed possibilities.
James Thurber 1957

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2003, 03:43:13 PM »

Charles Pogue--thanks for the Keith Mitchell info...I too love him on the Irma La Douce cast recording!

TCB--Please feel better soon!  I am sending you lots of healthy vibes!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2003, 03:46:07 PM »

TCB: You haven't been errant and truant - you have been loyal and true.  Others HAVE been errant and truant and soon I shall laugh and laugh should they choose to return.

MBarnum

« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2003, 03:50:33 PM »

Hey JRand53, how did you get your Living Corpse before me! Mine had better be in the mail today or there will be heck to pay!

I guess I should have ordered from Amazon!

ladodgerjon

• Unseemly Lunch Date
« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2003, 03:51:12 PM »

Exactly how kind, gracious, and sweet have all of you been in your good wishes to me, my wife & our new, "Baby Jack"??!??

Many, many thanks to all of you!

I just brought Mom & baby home... what a lovely -- and surreal -- experience! Methinks this Christmas will be the best ever!

All the best,

--Jon

PS: I LOVE 'O Holy Night' when sung by a tenor.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #148 on: December 22, 2003, 04:15:04 PM »

Oh my just a couple of years before Miss Jean Seberg had been a freshman at Iowa University....  I really LIKE "Bonjour Tristesse" - beautiful photography, great clothes and cars, a lovely George Auric score....Deborah Kerr and David Niven are superb, and I REALLY like Jean Seberg a LOT!  Now I MUST read the novel.

LOL MBARNUM - I ordered it the VERY day you mentioned it to me and voila here it is.  Maybe yours will come today!

I hope you feel better TCB!!!

Jason have a safe trip home & and great family Christmas!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 04:15:50 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jason

« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2003, 04:20:01 PM »

Jon: I don't know if I'm the only one, but I can practically feel your excitement in that last post. I'm so happy for you and your family and I wish you all the very best this Christmas. Send my congrats to your wife and to "Baby Jack" for making it out alright! :-)

DR MBarnum: No package for me today. :-( I hope it hasn't been swiped with all the rest of my mail...

DRs Kerry and MusicGuy: I wish I could be with you guys on Christmas Eve, too. Luckily, though, since I can't be with my adoptive parents, I'll be with my real parents, supping on homemade fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, biscuits and gravy, green beans and all the trimmings. YUM! I'll send you an email soon...I promise.

But now...dinner!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 04:21:11 PM by Jason »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up