Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MAIDS  (Read 20902 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE MAIDS
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2003, 08:00:33 AM »

Chat would be fine for me tonight, if I don't forget!

Emily

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2003, 08:18:45 AM »

Good morning, good yawning!

I had the BEST sleep ever last night.  My head hit the pillow and I was out until 9:30am.  9:30 is a good time to wake up because it gives you just enough sleep without going overboard and ruining the pattern for the rest of the week.  From now on I will try to get up everyday at 9:30...

John - those pics are adorable and especially the one with your two hands.  You must get that framed or laminated or something...

I think the best way to get rid of these passport/birth certificates/border crossing issues is to simply become American.  Who wants to marry me so I can get a green card and be on my way towards citizenship? ;)

Favorite Christmas Songs/Hymns/Carols:

1) "Minuit Chrétienne" (aka "O Holy Night") which HAS to be sung in the original french... the English lyrics are okay but the French are much much better suited to the music and the actual holiday.  Plus MC is traditionally sung with a solo performer who gets answered by a choir while I have only ever heard the English one without the choir repeating the chorus ("peuple ŕ genoux" & "peuple debout", "fall on your knees")

2) "Hark the Herald Angels Sing!"

3) "O Come All Ye Faithful / Adeste Fidelus"

4) "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" - because there is no better guilty pleasure during the Holidays

I'm off to lunch with the little sister (Subway, of course!) and then to grind away at gun control.  I will probably make an appearance at chat if it happens tonight.

:D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

William E. Lurie

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2003, 08:21:35 AM »

As I have said before, my favorite Christmas song is "Hurray for Santy Claus" from my favorite Christmas movie "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians".

Last year when I posted that I got an e-mail from a lurker asking if I had the lyrics.  Like a good Hainsie-Kimlet I transcribed the lyrics from the videotape and sent them for which I never even received a thank you.  However since I have them transcribed and in a computer file I'll be happy to send them to any DR or DL (dear lurker) who wants them.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2003, 08:39:20 AM »

Hahahaha DR WEL - there ain't no Sanity Clause!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Diane

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2003, 08:49:42 AM »

John: CONGRATULATIONS! Jack is just beautiful!  ;D

Fav Songs:

O Holy Night
Christmas Time Is Here ( The Charlie Brown Song)
Santa Baby
We Three Kings
Carol Of The Bells
I LOVE A Piano....

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2003, 09:01:21 AM »

Sorry, WEL, you had such a lousy experience with simple courtesy. Every encounter I've had with DRs here has been more than pleasant whether it be in e-mails or in swapping or sending media things that the other wanted. The kindness, friendliness, and generosity of the DRs here is what has kept me coming back day after day.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2003, 09:03:02 AM »

;D

William E. Lurie

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2003, 09:06:36 AM »

Matt -
It was a lurker or someone who found my reference during an internet surf.  I've had nothing but good experiences with any DR... and a few lurkers as well.  And it didn't really bother me, as at least I now have the lyrics typed out in a file.

I know that there are many Connie Francis fans on this here site.  Footlight Records has a new Connie Francis CD of a European concert listed on their site as a Footlights exclusive.  Check it out if you are interested: www.footlights.com - it's currently the first listing in the New Releases section.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jason

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2003, 09:07:58 AM »

Merry two-days-before Christmas from Music Theatre International!

I can't type much, since I'm supposed to be stuffing envelopes, but I wanted to at least say hi and let Jon know that his baby pictures brightened my day. What a beautiful little Christmas gift. Congratulations!

My favorite Christmas song is "I'll Be Home for Christmas." It gets me every time. I also enjoy "We Need a Little Christmas" from MAME.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2003, 09:32:42 AM »

DR Jason. Is the holiday edition of FOREVER PLAID available for licensing from MTI?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jason

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2003, 09:38:35 AM »

Matt H: Not yet, but it will be by next Christmas, I would think. They're firming up plans to release it to amateur rights.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2003, 09:39:37 AM »

The pictures of little Jack made me really smile. Thanks, Jon.

We don't make a big production of Christmas. I'm Jewish and Gord swings both ways (Jewish maternal grandmother; Protestant everyone else). Still, every year we like to prepare a pre-holiday turkey dinner. This year we invited a family from the building and Gord's nephew and gang for a grand total of 13. Gord came down with a dreadful cold on Saturday morning, I said go to bed and "just leave everything to me" (a Hello Dolly reference). I have no idea how I managed it (guests set the table and mashed the potatoes while I carved),  but at 6 pm Saturday night we sat down to a festive and pretty respectable meal.

Favorite Christmas carol: "Hark the Herald Angels Sing."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2003, 09:41:12 AM »

Love Miss Connie Francis.  Love Where the Boys Are.  Wish someone other than an unqualified idiot had done the little mini-retrospective thing on the DVD.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2003, 09:42:45 AM »

There was a famous Mafia song about a stool pigeon named Harold Angels called Hark! The Harold Angels Sing.

What's a coprophiliac's favorite bird?  A stool pigeon.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2003, 09:48:45 AM »

We are doing the final set of notes today (actually just things David and I want to fix) and then that will go to the network and hopefully there won't be anything beyond that and I can move on to the final hour-long show.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2003, 10:08:11 AM »

Wonderful baby pictures! Congratulations!

I'm a sucker for Christmas music. Have been listening in the car to Guy Haines' version of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" - and it's loverly.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2003, 10:08:58 AM »

What a swell place this is!  Talk about gaining support from a group of friends!  Dear Readers S. Woody White, George, Ann, JRand53, TD, Music Guy, Maya, MBarnum, Jennifer, Dan-in-Toronto (and Dear Dog Archie the Spaniel), Jose and Kerry:  Roller and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your good wishes.

When I went to see Roller yesterday, he was a completely different dog than the one I dropped off the night before.  He had energy, his curiosity was back, and he was eager to go on the little walk I took him on.  He remained at the emergency vet last night so he could continue on the IV.  This morning I picked him up and he seemed to be pretty much himself.  I brought him to his regular vet for further tests and observation.  I will find out later today whether he will spend tonight at home or in the hospital.  

I feel confident that Roller will recover and be home soon.  Blackjack (Roller's offspring) and I have missed him and we look forward to being our complete family of three once again.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 10:10:13 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2003, 10:16:13 AM »

Dear Reader Jose--Here is the complete casting of Plaid Tidings, which I saw last night in the very pleasant company of Dear Readers Laura and Sandra:

Jinx:  Stan Chandler
Smudge:  David Engel
Frankie:  John-Michael Flate
Sparky:  William Akey

The very able David Snyder was on the piano and John Smith was on bass.

The show was marvelous!  All four performers did very well.  The story and songs have been tightened up as compared with the effort I saw a couple of years ago, when it was still called The Holiday Edition of Forever Plaid.  There's a new interlude that involves Rosemary Clooney sending messages to the Plaids from heaven.  And, in my book, the three minute seventeen second rendition of the "Ed Sullivan Show" remains some of the most brilliant comedy I have ever seen.

Jay

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2003, 10:20:24 AM »

Meeting Dear Readers Laura and Sandra was quite a special treat for me last night.  As you know from their posts here, they are both lovely people and I am grateful for having had the opportunity to dine with them in the company of Dear BK.

Dear Reader Jose, I supped on a caesar salad, an overcooked piece of chicken breast stuffed with asparagus and cheese, with carrots and mashed potatoes on the side, and butter pecan ice cream for dessert.  Dear BK had caesar salad, rigatoni with two enormous meatballs, and butter pecan ice cream for dessert, much of which he did not eat.  Dear Reader Laura had a bowl of soup and Dear Reader Sandra watched us eat.  Dear Reader Laura herself admitted that she and her Dear Daughter are cheap dates.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 04:13:21 PM by Jay »

Jay

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2003, 10:23:40 AM »

Dear Reader ladodgerjon--

A hearty mazel tov on the arrival of your son.  May he provide ample reason for you and his dear mother to kvell for many, many, many (that is three manys) years.

Not only is Jack beautiful, but the photos you posted must be the most beautiful pictures of a newborn I have ever seen.

Jay

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2003, 10:31:32 AM »

At last (oh, a Warren/Gordon reference) I arrive at the topic o' the day.  I am another Jew who really enjoys Christmas music.  I have many favorites, but what I list here are the desert island renditions that immediately popped into my mind.

O Holy Night, Leontyne Price
Jingle Bells, Barbra Streisand
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Judy Garland
The Christmas Waltz, Peggy Lee
Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep, Rosemary Clooney
Santa Baby, Eartha Kitt
Blue Christmas, Elvis Presley
Baby It's Cold Outside, Johnny Mercer and Margaret Whiting

Jay

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2003, 10:33:00 AM »

And mega-positive vibes to the Dear Friend of Dear Readers Maya and LauraII.

Jay

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2003, 10:34:30 AM »

I guess that qualifies as a one-man posting frenzy.  I shall step back now, and allow other Dear Readers to post their thoughts for our collective delectation.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2003, 10:41:36 AM »

Well, I have been busy with college preparations this morning, and it's looking more and more like I will end up going to Northern Kentucky University...their musical theatre program seems ideal for me, they put on a wonderful variety of both classic and lesser known musicals, and they also have a summer dinner theatre students can get involved in.  Of course, if I go there it would mean leaving my friends back here but it isn't like Kentucky is that far away from Virginia!  

LADJohn--Congrats on the birth of little Jack!  He is absolutely adorable!

TD--Well, that certainly piqued my interest!  If brother Bogart looks and sounds like Matt, please set up away, hehe!

Jay--I'm so glad to hear about Roller's likely recovery and thank you for the good vibes!  

Hmmm...chat tonight shouldn't be a problem for me, I don't think.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2003, 10:42:34 AM »

I completely forgot to list my favorite Christmas songs!  Let's go with We Need a Little Christmas, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, and Carol of the Bells.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2003, 10:47:02 AM »

Now wait just a darned minute, Maya - or is it wait just a darned Maya, minute?  You JUST finished your fershluganah finals.  ENOUGH.  Stop and smell the roast beef for God's sake.  Relax with your friends here at haineshisway.com.

What care I for the errant and truant who can't be bothered to join us?  Soon I shall laugh and laugh with unrepentent giddiness.  

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2003, 10:53:20 AM »

Where are the other Oregon Drs...JMK and Jane?? I feel so all alone!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2003, 10:56:15 AM »

Well....sorry the retrospective is bad on WHERE THE BOYS ARE....  MR BK did you listen to the commentary?

I was a bit disappointed on the commentary on SINGIN' IN THE RAIN - in that most of the comments were taken from a documentary included on the second disk.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR......would love to have a commentary by Debbie Reynolds as we watch the movie together.....like Rosemary's on WHITE CHRISTMAS and of course the  glorious trio on BEGINNING OF THE END!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR....

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2003, 10:56:54 AM »

Hey cute baby pics!

DR MBarnum: the M+Ms have arrived!
(for some reason stuff coming from the west coast seems to take forever to get here).

They look so yummy! Yeah!

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2003, 11:01:03 AM »

DR Emily: I cannot believe you did not ask me what the requirements are to cross the border :(

I could have saved you much time!

You should be happy you were not born in Quebec. Or you would have had to do what I had to do when I wanted to get my passport renewed. I had to have a new birth certificate made (even though my old one was good last time i got a passport).

BTW, DR Emily: get a passport. It will make things much easier for you.

But what you read is correct. If you have your passport AND one piece of photo id (like driver's license or medicare card) you will be fine. Just make sure your birth certificate is valid.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up